mesaSteeler
01-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_608588.html#
Super Bowl play routinely enhances a free-agent's value

By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, January 24, 2009

It certainly is a Super Bowl for those players fortunate enough to participate in the NFL's ultimate game.

For some, it's more than the chance of a lifetime: It's an opportunity to go bowling for untold dollars.

Three Steelers starters, one injured starter and one key reserve are unrestricted free agents whose market value may never be higher than right now, as Super Bowl XLIII approaches.

If the Steelers defeat the Arizona Cardinals on Feb. 1 in Tampa, Fla., cornerback Bryant McFadden, tackles Max Starks and Marvel Smith, guard Chris Kemoeatu and receiver Nate Washington hit the market as talented free agents and two-time Super Bowl champions. Tackle Willie Colon and safety Anthony Smith will be restricted free agents.

Super Bowl appearances, particularly most-recent ones and augmented by a high-caliber performance, suggest an increase in a player's value.

After the Steelers won Super Bowl XL in Detroit, starting receiver Antwaan Randle El signed a seven-year, $31 million free-agent contract with the Washington Redskins that featured $10 million in guaranteed money.

A No. 2 receiver behind Hines Ward, Randle El's market value rose substantially following his performance in Super Bowl XL, a stats line that included a 43-yard touchdown pass to Ward in the fourth quarter.

Also from that team, safety Chris Hope signed a six-year, $30 million free-agent contact with the Tennessee Titans.

Both players said they wanted to remain with the Steelers, but when it became obvious that the Steelers couldn't meet their contract demands, they left their comfort zone for better offers.

The same opportunities could be available to this year's group of candidates when the free agency period begins Feb. 27.

Starks started at right tackle against Seattle three years ago.

"The Steelers gave me my start and gave me opportunities, and they've given me another opportunity for the second time to be able to play in a Super Bowl and to play a different position than the first time," said Starks, a third-round pick in 2004 who started 13 consecutive games this season after Smith went down with a back injury. "It's going to be an interesting offseason to see how all of us fare after the Super Bowl is over."

McFadden took over at starting left cornerback when Deshea Townsend suffered a heel injury in the opener against Houston. McFadden then missed seven starts later in the season after suffering a broken forearm. He returned to the lineup and has started the final three regular-season games and two playoff games.

"This is the place that drafted me, so, No. 1, I'd love to be back here," said McFadden, a second-round pick in 2005 who finished the season with 54 tackles, two interceptions, one sack and tied for second on the team with 11 passes defended.

"I knew that nothing was going to be going on as far as free agency. I try not to think about it too much, but it is part of a situation that's going on. I just focused my whole mentality on playing good football. Everything else will work itself out."

Washington, Kemoeatu and long-snapper Greg Warren all have completed one-year deals they signed as restricted free agents. Washington was fourth on the team with 40 receptions, and his 15.8-yard average led the team. Kemoeatu, who was inactive during the team's Super Bowl XL run, started all 16 games as a first-year replacement for perennial Pro Bowler Alan Faneca. Warren was placed on injured reserve after injuring his knee in a game against the New York Giants in October.

"I'm just blessed to be in this position. A lot of people didn't feel like I should have been on this team, shouldn't have gotten the salary that I did," said Starks, who signed a one-year, $6.8 million contract prior to the start of the season. "We'll see what happens because, ultimately, the outcome in the Super Bowl determines (the future)."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

PalmerSteel
01-24-2009, 10:52 AM
i see all those guys getting pretty high offers from other teams. the 2 we need to focus on and pay more than the owner would like that are critical to keep are kemo and mcfadden for sure imo. we can live without the others.

Football Freek
01-24-2009, 11:23 AM
I agree. Kemo will be a beast for years to come and is a future PBer. He's been inconsistant this year but that can be attributed to lack of playing experience, coaching, play calling, and OL continuity. The more reps he gets, the more dominant he'll be. He has more upside than anyone else on the OL.

KeiselPower99
01-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Starks McFadden and Kemo will be the top guys and Nate will be allowed to test the market and get probably a 1 yr deal kinda like Bryant Johnson got last year. Starks and Kemo are priority because that will be our entire left side of our line.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-24-2009, 12:01 PM
I hope Starks and Kemo have great super bowl games, so Ben can stay upright, we win the game....................and some other team pays too much and takes them off our hands.

GBMelBlount
01-24-2009, 12:02 PM
Starks McFadden and Kemo will be the top guys and Nate will be allowed to test the market and get probably a 1 yr deal kinda like Bryant Johnson got last year. Starks and Kemo are priority because that will be our entire left side of our line.

I agree. And due to extremely poor planning, just as this year, we may again be forced to pay a premium for a mediocre line.

Also, it was mentioned how Randle El and Hope were possibly overvalued and had huge paydays after the Superbowl. I liken this to players in the draft who shoot up the draft board because they run a great 40 or bench press the empire state building, yet the game tape for the entire season, which should be the larger part of their valuation (imo), gets relatively little regard. :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-24-2009, 01:16 PM
I think Kemo will be allowed to move on. He was OK, but largely inconsistent. I think if Simmons comes back fine, then the LG spot will be fought out between Stapleton, a rookie draft pick and possibly Willie Colon.

Dexter Jackson, Larry Brown, Alvin Harper, Dominic Rhodes are other names that come to mind as cashing in on Super bowl performances........only to underperform in their new team.

tony hipchest
01-24-2009, 01:32 PM
gotta disagree on chris hope being overvalued.

his 1st year with the titans he had more tackles than sean taylor, ed reed, polamalu, and bob sanders. hes a pro bowler and the leader of the titans secondary which is pretty damn good. hes smart and was the qb of our defense his final season here.

IF we extend clark a year early we may be able to keep him in the $5 mil/ year range.

mcfadden deserves a fair but reasonable deal like ike talors 1st big contract. people thought ike was payed a bit too much at the time but now he is below market value.

just look at joey porter money and what ray lewis is being offered and its easy to see james harrisons market value will be the highest paid lb in the league.

we got some serious thinking to do. spend the money to keep the defense together, or spend big to protect ben.

i say rookie linemen can do just as good of a job giving up sacks as the guys we currently have.

BlastFurnace
01-24-2009, 02:15 PM
I think Kemo will be allowed to move on. He was OK, but largely inconsistent. I think if Simmons comes back fine, then the LG spot will be fought out between Stapleton, a rookie draft pick and possibly Willie Colon.

Dexter Jackson, Larry Brown, Alvin Harper, Dominic Rhodes are other names that come to mind as cashing in on Super bowl performances........only to underperform in their new team.

I was with you until you mentioned Simmons. Simmons is terrible...downright terrible. If we bring back Colon and pair him up with with Simmons....our right hand side of our line will look like the Philadelphia game.

HometownGal
01-24-2009, 02:23 PM
We have to keep B-Mac and I believe Kemo is a diamond in the rough. I would like the Steelers to find a way to hang on to Nate, as well, as he is only going to get better with every passing season. He isn't Hines-esque nor does he have Santo's speed, but I think with a little more effort and more playing time, he can become a very viable and reliable target for Ben. As for Starks - let him go, along with Anthony Smith. Starks isn't worth the franchise tag price he is getting (sorry). I would give Marvel Smith another shot - he was injured most of this season - let's see how he bounces back.

BlastFurnace
01-24-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm seeing these free agents like this:

Starks - Max has played just as well as Smith ever did at LT. He's young, playing well, and can take care of Ben's blind side for the next 4 years.

Kemo - Kemo's signing really depends on what the team thinks about Simmons and his recovery. If they believe that Simmons cannot do the job adequately, they will make a push to sign Kemo. Personally, I think signing two FA O'lineman to FA contracts will be a steep task. I think Kemo is a goner for higher $$$$'s.

BMAC - He's gone. Not because I wouldn't love to see him pair with Ike, but he's already priced himself out of our range and with his agent (Rosenhaus) and his exposure in the playoffs and SB, there is no way he stays here. Just get us a few INT's in the Super Bowl BMAC, and we'll wish you well.

Nate - Again, this is another guy I would absolutely love to keep and wouldn't be surprised if he stays. The bigger picture here is if the team is planning on extending Holmes in a year...that will determine Nate's future. Sweed, if he can find his hands, will be our #3 next year if Nate leaves or in 2010 if Holmes leaves. Unless Nate completely breaks out in the Super Bowl, I don't see him getting Randle-EL money in this economy...especially when he has never been a #2 yet.

Smith - Thanks for the memories Marvel. Sorry to be so harsh, but your back just doesn't warrant a new contract.

Bottom line, the Steelers O'line is really playing well together. They should do all they can do to keep this 4 of these 5 together (minus Colon). I don't know if that will be possible.

This, more than anything, is the reason why I have always believed that they should have traded their #1 and a #3 to move up and get Brandon Albert last year instead of picking Mendenhall.

MasterOfPuppets
01-24-2009, 02:30 PM
I hope Starks and Kemo have great super bowl games, so Ben can stay upright, we win the game....................and some other team pays too much and takes them off our hands. :thumbsup:thats what i'm talkin bout !!!..would they get comp picks if they get an offer from the steelers?

tony hipchest
01-24-2009, 02:50 PM
:thumbsup:thats what i'm talkin bout !!!..would they get comp picks if they get an offer from the steelers?we get comp picks as long as they leave regardless if we make them an offer or not.

the more they play, the more cash they get, and the better they do, increases the comp pick value... AS LONG as we dont spend big money in FA to replace them.

faneca will net us a third. he made big bucks, played every down, and made it to the pro bowl. we spent $0 to replace him.

if we woulda replaced him w/ FA hartwig (for arguments sakes- starter with acheap contract) his comp pick value probably woulda dropped to a 4th. if we replaced him with a high priced free agent who totally kicked ass, and faneca flopped and rode the bench, the comp pick value drops even more.

MasterOfPuppets
01-24-2009, 02:56 PM
we get comp picks as long as they leave regardless if we make them an offer or not.

the more they play, the more cash they get, and the better they do, increases the comp pick value... AS LONG as we dont spend big money in FA to replace them.

faneca will net us a third. he made big bucks, played every down, and made it to the pro bowl. we spent $0 to replace him.

if we woulda replaced him w/ FA hartwig (for arguments sakes- starter with acheap contract) his comp pick value probably woulda dropped to a 4th. if we replaced him with a high priced free agent who totally kicked ass, and faneca flopped and rode the bench, the comp pick value drops even more.
Steelers To Be Shut Out on Comp Picks

Posted Mar 31st 2008 7:27 AM by JJ Cooper (author feed)
Filed Under: Steelers, AFC North, Pittsburgh
When the NFL announces its compensatory picks this week, don't expect to see the Steelers get any. Pittsburgh seems certain to remain stuck with six picks for April's draft. That was to be expected since the Steelers didn't really lose any significant free agents last year (Joey Porter was cut, which doesn't count).

But if you're a Steelers fan hoping for a big score next year thanks to losing Alan Faneca, I've got bad news. As of right now, the Steelers would be shut out again next year.

To get a compensatory pick, you have to have signed less unrestricted free agents than the number that you lose. That's the problem for the Steelers. While Keyaron Fox, Mewelde Moore and Justin Hartwig are all relatively inexpensive signings, they all were unrestricted free agents. The Steelers have lost only two unrestricted free agents (Faneca and Clark Haggans). So if you're hoping to see the Steelers get an extra pick next year, it's time to root for Brian St. Pierre, Marquis Cooper, Verron Haynes and Dan Kreider to find good jobs elsewhere, to tip the balance. If that happens, Pittsburgh will likely get an extra third-round pick in 2008, but it all depends on signing fewer free agents than the Steelers lose.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/03/31/steelers-likely-to-be-shut-out-on-comp-picks/

tony hipchest
01-24-2009, 02:57 PM
BMAC - He's gone. Not because I wouldn't love to see him pair with Ike, but he's already priced himself out of our range and with his agent (Rosenhaus) and his exposure in the playoffs and SB, there is no way he stays here. Just get us a few INT's in the Super Bowl BMAC, and we'll wish you well.

.this is a messageboard invented myth based on hate for rosenhaus and some of his clients (TO).

d. townsend has more int's in the playoffs than b-mac. he has played well but still hasnt put himself on the national radar like champ bailey or a. samuel.

Preacher
01-24-2009, 03:07 PM
I'd like to see B-Mac, Kemo, and Washington resigned. If Starks wants to come back, he needs to be ready to deal. We can say good bye to everyone else.

tony hipchest
01-24-2009, 03:10 PM

When the NFL announces its compensatory picks this week, don't expect to see the Steelers get any. Pittsburgh seems certain to remain stuck with six picks for April's draft. That was to be expected since the Steelers didn't really lose any significant free agents last year (Joey Porter was cut, which doesn't count).

But if you're a Steelers fan hoping for a big score next year thanks to losing Alan Faneca, I've got bad news. As of right now, the Steelers would be shut out again next year.

To get a compensatory pick, you have to have signed less unrestricted free agents than the number that you lose. That's the problem for the Steelers. While Keyaron Fox, Mewelde Moore and Justin Hartwig are all relatively inexpensive signings, they all were unrestricted free agents. The Steelers have lost only two unrestricted free agents (Faneca and Clark Haggans). So if you're hoping to see the Steelers get an extra pick next year, it's time to root for Brian St. Pierre, Marquis Cooper, Verron Haynes and Dan Kreider to find good jobs elsewhere, to tip the balance. If that happens, Pittsburgh will likely get an extra third-round pick in 2008, but it all depends on signing fewer free agents than the Steelers lose.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/03/31/steelers-likely-to-be-shut-out-on-comp-picks/:doh: wow. thats bullshit. i never knew signing scrub, minimum wage special teamers was taken into account. i always thought it was on a position by position basis, and not overall total. i guess tuman was cut. im not sure if kreider being signed and then cut by the rams counts as tipping the balance. it might.

i hope im right.... :thumbsup:

Preacher
01-24-2009, 03:11 PM
this is a messageboard invented myth based on hate for rosenhaus and some of his clients (TO).

d. townsend has more int's in the playoffs than b-mac. he has played well but still hasnt put himself on the national radar like champ bailey or a. samuel.

Exactly!

Thing is, our FO actually likes dealing with Rosenhaus because he is up front and honest. So I doubt very much that just having R. pushes B-Mac out.

However, if he does, I think Gay is able to step up and play. The kid has been pretty impressive.

MasterOfPuppets
01-24-2009, 03:13 PM
:doh: wow. thats bullshit. i never knew signing scrub, minimum wage special teamers was taken into account. i always thought it was on a position by position basis, and not overall total. i guess tuman was cut. im not sure if kreider being signed and then cut by the rams counts as tipping the balance. it might.

i hope im right.... :thumbsup:
does retrofosky (long snapper) count? wasn't krieder cut?
.........cut players don't count (Joey Porter was cut, which doesn't count).

BlastFurnace
01-24-2009, 03:15 PM
this is a messageboard invented myth based on hate for rosenhaus and some of his clients (TO).

This "myth" is not confined to messageboards. This is something that a lot of people in the NFL believe as well.

I don't hate Rosenhaus. I admire the guy for being able to take care of his clients. I just think that BMAC has already priced his way out of what we can pay him. Rosenhaus will do his job and get him the most money he can.

KeiselPower99
01-24-2009, 03:19 PM

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2008/03/31/steelers-likely-to-be-shut-out-on-comp-picks/

St. Pierre and Krieder both found jobs after that was written. So maybe we will get something after all.

LVSteelersfan
01-24-2009, 03:44 PM
I think Kemo is a must signing. He is one of those big linemen that could turn into an absolute beast down the road. Starks could go either way. Too bad Colon is not the UFA because he is a total waste of space. We need to keep the left side intact and concentrate on right side players in the draft or free agency. BMac can be replaced. Washington is a tough one to figure out. I think he has gelled but I seriously doubt he will stay when the bucks beckon. If the FO screws these signings up, we may not sniff the Super Bowl again for quite awhile.

The Duke
01-24-2009, 05:23 PM
I hope Starks and Kemo have great super bowl games, so Ben can stay upright, we win the game....................and some other team pays too much and takes them off our hands.

Just what I was thinking:thumbsup:

we can do better than kemo at starks at the line. I do hope essex stays as a backup. That tackle/guard availability is good to have

I'll root for nate to drop 1 or 2 meaningless passes in the super bowl. Just to get his stock down and we can keep him :chuckle: