PDA

View Full Version : Sweed emotion

mesaSteeler
01-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Bires: Sweed emotion
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/01/23/sports/steelers/doc497aa5cc8695e541220746.txt

AP photo by KEITH SRAKOCIC ALMOST THE GOAT: Limas Sweed dropped a would-be touchdown in the AFC Championship victory.

By Mike Bires
Times Sports Staff

PITTSBURGH — Only one Steeler worked overtime after Friday’s practice, and it comes as no surprise that it was the near-goat of the AFC Championship Game.

As every one else headed to the locker room, Limas Sweed stayed behind to work on pass catching skills.

After last Sunday, he needs all the extra practice he can get.

Sweed, a rookie wide receiver, almost became the most reviled athlete in Pittsburgh for dropping a touchdown pass and then apparently faking an injury.

In a brutally physical 23-14 win over Baltimore, Sweed cost the Steelers 10 points.

Besides the seven points he threw away by dropping a perfectly thrown bomb from Ben Roethlisberger that should have been a 50-yard TD pass, he also cost the Steelers a chance to kick a chip-shot field goal. He did that by feigning injury after his drop.

It appeared that perhaps he had the wind knocked out of him. But according to coach MikeTomlin, Sweed was faking.

Sweed’s act cost the Steelers their third and final timeout (When a player is injured with less than two minutes left in the second and fourth quarters, his team is charged with a timeout). That wasted timeout proved costly.

Six plays after Sweed’s drop, the Steelers advanced to the Ravens’ 12-yard line only to have the half end before Roethlisberger could stop the clock with a spike. Had they had that last timeout, Jeff Reed would have come in and tried a 30-yard field goal.

After his drop, Sweed was reamed out by Tomlin on the sideline.

“I leave what specifically was said between him and I,” Tomlin said Tuesday at his weekly press conference. “I said what I thought needed to be said at that time.”

But in this week’s editions of Sports Illustrated, Tomlin said, “I wasn’t mad because he dropped the ball. That kind of mistake can happen to anyone. I was pissed that he lay on the ground, faked an injury and cost us our last timeout. My point was, ‘Be a man! Grow up!’”

To Sweed’s credit, he did respond positively.

Four plays after his drop, he threw a devastating block that leveled cornerback Corey Ivy.

Then on a third-and-8 call on the first play of the fourth quarter, he caught a pass for 14 yards and a first down.

“He is a young guy that has a desire to help us win,” Tomlin said. “His actions on a day to day basis at this (practice) facility indicate that. Sometimes he fails. He fails inside stadiums and that’s part of being a young guy. But we are in January and it’s time for young guys to grow up.

“Hopefully he falls into that category. Hopefully some of those things that happened after that drop are an indication of the direction in which he is headed. We are going to need positive contributions from everyone in order to come back with the Lombardi Trophy.”

Yes, Sweed, the Steelers’ second-round draft pick, may have to play in Super Bowl XLIII.

If Hines Ward has any setbacks with the knee he sprained in the AFC Championship, Sweed will be the No. 3 receiver.

Ward’s injury was why Sweed played against the Ravens in the first place.

No doubt, the Steelers coaches hope that Sweed doesn’t have to play much against the Arizona Cardinals. But if he does, they can only hope he’s “man” enough to handle the pressure of the biggest game in sports.

tyler289
01-24-2009, 09:49 AM
The kid seems to really want to make up for that drop. Hopefully he has a couple big plays in the SB.

skinart82
01-24-2009, 10:41 AM
I hope he goes the way of Holmes after his rookie season. Everybody wanted rid of him after all the fumbles and drops and now in his 3rd season he is a big part of the offense. Maybe Sweed will step up and be that kind of receiver. Ward might be immortal, but he won't play forever!

TheSteelCurtain
01-24-2009, 10:52 AM
I think that drop was the best thing to happen to Limas. Man thats why i love coach tomlin he dont sugarcoat anything.

devilsdancefloor
01-24-2009, 10:53 AM
well i yelled at him too for just laying there!!! i wasnt nice about it either which i am sure coach wasnt either get yourt bruised ego up off the turf! I know i know he is gona panout and be a really good reciever! I hope what ever coach said cares over to the syuper bowl if he plays!!

SteelTalons
01-24-2009, 10:53 AM
Good to hear. :thumbsup:

fansince'76
01-24-2009, 10:55 AM
In a brutally physical 23-14 win over Baltimore, Sweed cost the Steelers 10 points.

Not completely fair. He also played DB on Ben's worst pass of the day, preventing it from being intercepted in the end zone and preserving a FG for us. I'm also glad to hear he's working to try and correct his deficiencies as a WR.

SC Steeler Steve
01-24-2009, 11:07 AM
Impossible, you cant score both on one drive. he may have cost us 7 but not 10. And I agree with franchise '76, he saved us 3 with the defensive play in the endzone. I thought that pass was picked.

GodofGridiron
01-24-2009, 12:28 PM
He will get a chance to redeem himself this next game. I dont think Hines will be 100 percent so its up to Limas to step up his game. We do know that he can/will get open.....question is, will he make that over -the- shoulder grab when hes beaten coverage next time ?

7SteelGal43
01-24-2009, 12:46 PM
I sure hope Sweed steps it up next year. When Hines is gone (or out for a game), it'd be good to have a Holmes - Sweed tandem at WR.

tony hipchest
01-24-2009, 01:20 PM
if i were coach i would demand sweed, parker, and ike stay after practice and have tennis balls thrown at them until they learned to look them into the hand.

hell, even bring one of the pirates good pitchers over to throw them...

oh wait. :doh:

stillers4me
01-24-2009, 04:02 PM
If that's the worse thing he ever does, and redeems himself a little each game, we have nothing to worry about.

TeeJay
01-24-2009, 05:59 PM
That is a most excellent song by Aerosmith!! :chuckle:

Anywho..........next season Sweed is going to be awesome!! :thumbsup:

WindyCitySteelerFan
01-24-2009, 06:06 PM
He needs to stop looking at the Jumbotron when he is supposed to be catching a ball.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-24-2009, 07:28 PM
I just have a feeling he is going to be huge in the SB. It just makes sense. All this bashing and he shuts everyonr.

MDSteel15
01-25-2009, 01:07 AM
Lol so mean :flap:

but so true..... :rofl:

7SteelGal43
01-26-2009, 12:44 PM
NFL network asked last night which player would have an unexpected break out game that made him a household name...I'm thinking Limas Sweed.

LVSteelersfan
01-26-2009, 01:10 PM
I hope Sweed does something to shut me up. I have not been impressed with him at all. PLEASE SHUT ME UP. I do not suffer fools gladly.

The_WARDen
01-26-2009, 01:17 PM
I do not understand all the :cheer: for this guy... I cringe anytime I see him near the ball and I pray that Ward can go and be effective, cause it's gonna be a loooong day if they have to rely on Sweed.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-26-2009, 01:21 PM
I agree with the above two posters, I really hope he proves me wrong. As of now I don't have a lot of faith in the guy. I was more pissed about him costing us a timeout than the drop to be honest though, but either way he was a big letdown.

I did have a dream last night of him going vertical on the cards all day and catching everything thrown to him though!

stlrtruck
01-26-2009, 01:35 PM
The thing is with Sweed, we have someone who can replicate Fitz' jumping abilities. So it's not like we don't have someone to help us out.

Who the heck do the cardinals have to replicate the Steelers Defense?

MasterOfPuppets
01-26-2009, 02:02 PM
I do not understand all the :cheer: for this guy... I cringe anytime I see him near the ball and I pray that Ward can go and be effective, cause it's gonna be a loooong day if they have to rely on Sweed.
sounds exactly like what most were saying about washington last year, and even part of this year.....not hearing it so much now.....:popcorn:

The_WARDen
01-26-2009, 02:17 PM
sounds exactly like what most were saying about washington last year, and even part of this year.....not hearing it so much now.....:popcorn:

sorry, don't feel comfortable about someone "proving" themselves come Super Bowl time. Work on the game next year...this Sunday, I want the known proven players, no time for "learning on the job" at this point.

BTW...this :popcorn: is good. Goes well with :coffee:

AllD
01-26-2009, 02:21 PM
You could see Swann look the ball into his hands on the 50 yard line of his circus catch in SB X. Sweed is a rookie and will play like one until he has enough time to digest exactly what his strengths and weaknesses are. His mechanics are not in alignment and he needs to practice until his fingers bleed.