PDA

View Full Version : Trick plays provide spark for Cards

mesaSteeler
01-24-2009, 09:12 AM
Trick plays provide spark for Cards
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2009/01/23/20090123spt-cardside.html

The Arizona Republic

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt likes going for it on fourth down. He likes pulling out a few tricks.

For the Pittsburgh Steelers, in the Super Bowl, expect everything and anything to come out of the playbook.

Just maybe not the "Philly Special." It worked to perfection in last week's 32-25 win over the Eagles:

Running back J.J. Arrington threw a lateral pass back to quarterback Kurt Warner, who found Larry Fitzgerald deep for a 62-yard touchdown.

"The 'Philly Special' would probably not be any good any longer," offensive coordinator Todd Haley said.

That play, Haley said, originated in Dallas when he was coaching there.

Between Haley and Whisenhunt - the offensive coordinator for the Steelers in the Super Bowl three years ago when he called for a trick play that burned the Seattle Seahawks - don't expect the Cardinals to suddenly become vanilla and conservative, even though Whisenhunt deadpanned during his news conference Thursday that they would be.

"I think we're going to definitely have some in the book," said Fitzgerald, who is usually on the receiving end of them. "I don't know if Coach is going to call it, but we're definitely going to have a few plays at our disposal.

"That's just the way we do it. It gives the defense a little bit more to prepare for every week when you have more things like that."

The timing of the trickery depends on what kind of success the Cardinals are having.

Usually it is set up by the run, and lately the running game has been effective.

The flea-flicker isn't among Warner's favorite plays because it calls for the deep ball, and he is basically zeroing in on one receiver and not choosing among four or five as he normally would.

But it's worked twice for touchdowns in the past month.

"You always have a couple in your back pocket," Haley said. "It takes the right situation and most of those are off run plays, and the way we've been running the football has helped us do a lot of things. That's just one of them."

Edgerrin James, who's been key to the set-up with positive rushing yardage in the past four games, says he'd rather just go out and play "old-fashioned football."

"You win these games by getting first downs and moving the chains and not having turnovers," he said. "You can put in all the trick plays you want to, but if you have turnovers, the trick plays won't do any good."

Steelcitygal87
01-24-2009, 09:19 AM
The Steeler's coaching staff is well aware of the trick plays that may be coming our way in the Super Bowl..but our guys play intelligent football, and are not going to be fooled so easily. They are a disciplined bunch, and well aware of everything that is going on on the field. :tt03::tt03: Trick plays usually work best against an overly aggressive defense, when you get guys to play out of position. The Steeler's D plays intense and very physical, but also very smart. I don't see the Cards outsmarting Dick LeBeau!

IAWarnerFan
01-24-2009, 07:21 PM
I'm not expcting any trick plays in the Super Bowl, but you never know! :wink02:

stlrtruck
01-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Here's one way to beat the trick plays

DISCIPLINE!!!

IAWarnerFan
01-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Here's one way to beat the trick plays

DISCIPLINE!!!

Agreed, and that's why I'm not expecting any. Coach Whis knows how disciplined your team is. :wink02:

hindes204
01-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Wiz vs. LeBeau............................i would take LeBeau over Wiz 7 out of 7 days of the week

stlrtruck
01-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Wiz vs. LeBeau............................i would take LeBeau over Wiz 7 out of 7 days of the week

I'd take Whiz on Tuesday, but that's it.

TheSteelCurtain
01-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Ill take whiz on the days that dont end in Y.

I just watched the super bowl XL video and Cowher was the one that made the call on the end around early and the randle el touchdown pass. Whiz wanted to run the ball.

markymarc
01-26-2009, 06:21 AM
While I doubt we will see any trickery from Whiz and Haley considering it's the biggest game of the year you never know.