PDA

View Full Version : Verron wants to stay...

BB2W
12-29-2005, 01:19 AM
Haynes could potentially use Sunday's game as an audition for other NFL teams if he gets the bulk of the carries. He becomes an unrestricted free agent after the season, and can offer his services to the highest bidder.

There's no telling what a third-down back with just 643 yards in four seasons will make on the open market, but the better Haynes plays, the better the opportunity could be out there for him, even if that means re-signing with the Steelers.

"I absolutely want to stay (in Pittsburgh)," Haynes said. "I really don't know what the situation will be. That is so much in the future that I am really, honestly, trying to take it one day at a time. Being here in Pittsburgh is all I have ever known. I am into the system. I know the system very well."

link-----> http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_408398.html

Koopa
12-29-2005, 01:43 AM
well i won't lose sleep if he doesn't return, but i guess i wouldn't mind seeing him back, he has done some clutch first downs and is decent when he gets carries.

TasmanianTroy271
12-29-2005, 01:44 AM
I think Verron's playing has vastly improved from last year, and I think he'd be a better resigning then Duce.

Koopa
12-29-2005, 01:50 AM
no way, when duce is healthy he is an every down back, haynes is nothing more then what he is now. just wait till next year when duce will prove all the doubters wrong and will have his best year of his career next season

CASTEEL
12-29-2005, 03:25 AM
Let him go if he can......I don't see him being much use (look at the last couple of years) to the Steelers next year. Can he really do something that the Steelers can't pick up in the draft or FA??

Nice 3rd stringer fo the Steelers..... if he could get 2nd or 1st for someone else, I'd let him go!!

That's just my opinion. :grin:

GO STEELERS!!!

Black-n-Gold
12-29-2005, 05:20 AM
I think Verron's playing has vastly improved from last year, and I think he'd be a better resigning then Duce.

Oh I don't think he's near as good as Duce is. He's getting better, but he he gets a good deal somewhere he should jump on it. My little 2 cents from here in Iraq..

steeler47
12-29-2005, 07:51 AM
no way, when duce is healthy he is an every down back, haynes is nothing more then what he is now. just wait till next year when duce will prove all the doubters wrong and will have his best year of his career next season

LOL.Duce is one of the biggest bust there is.Talent wise..yes he is good but.thats why Philly got rid of him , you cant do anything if your on the sidelines.In the last 3 to 4 years he has only played a few game's.He's a waste of money and cap space.There's gonna be alot of RB's out there to get.

clevestinks
12-29-2005, 08:20 AM
If Betttis and Staley both go! We may won`t to consider keeping Haynes, and picking up one more back. One reason Haynes is a good third down back is because he can block, and catch

SteelCityMan786
12-29-2005, 10:22 AM
Haynes prove yourself Sunday when you get in. Play well. And make sure you run over some lions.

Suitanim
12-29-2005, 10:36 AM
He's a value-type player who knows the system and will probably re-sign on the cheap, and he contributes as both a 3rd down/pass situation back as well as on special teams, and gives us depth at the RB position. I'd be happy to see him back next year...

SteelCityMan786
12-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Probably Suit. Haynes will probably sign for a cheap dime. Like the minimum

MichiSteeler
12-29-2005, 11:35 AM
I think it would be worth it to keep Verron. I think hes contributed alot just in a small way. Especially if we loose Staley and the Bus. I mean worst case scenario is we loose those 2, cut verron, and dont get anything in the draft or fa. Then we'e be screwed. I think if they r planning on cutting Duce then Id keep him just for precaution. Assuming we get LenDale, both him and willie will be young and still a little inexperienced, so we could use him on 3rds.

Prosdo
12-29-2005, 11:48 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing him back. Just depends on his prices, but I doubt it will be anything high.

LambertIsGod58
12-29-2005, 12:09 PM
I think that if Verron is given a chance, he could be the power of the running game. More than likely we will lose Bettis. I think Haynes in time will be a better option than Staley. How can we objectively judge his talent when he's hardly used?

BB2W
12-29-2005, 12:24 PM
I think Verron is a natural runner, and could start at runningback in this league. He has the total package you look for in tailbacks... he was born to tote the rock. When Jerome's play was declining the last few years I was calling for Haynes. I think he could be an everyday every down back, and I would be glad to see the Steelers resign him even if it is not in that role.

I really like Verron as a runningback... that is why I posted this to see how you guys felt. I think he's the most natural runner on the team with the best vision, and the best speed/power/agility combo. I would love to see him back and getting more carries next year.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2005, 02:28 PM
Keeping Haynes is a pretty big deal to me.. he's a great special teamer, a decent 3rd back and he can play full back. The Steelers love versatile players so I look for him to be back especially w/ Jerome looking more and more to retire.

Koopa
12-29-2005, 02:36 PM
LOL.Duce is one of the biggest bust there is.Talent wise..yes he is good but.thats why Philly got rid of him , you cant do anything if your on the sidelines.In the last 3 to 4 years he has only played a few game's.He's a waste of money and cap space.There's gonna be alot of RB's out there to get.

well if you cut him he's still wasteing cap space, and he hasn't hurt us by not playing so maybe it's actually the coaching staff that is keeping him out, you ever think of that?? don't lose faith in him, or don't jump on his dick when he's avg. 110 yards a game next year

clevestinks
12-29-2005, 03:03 PM
I think Verron is a natural runner, and could start at runningback in this league. He has the total package you look for in tailbacks... he was born to tote the rock. When Jerome's play was declining the last few years I was calling for Haynes. I think he could be an everyday every down back, and I would be glad to see the Steelers resign him even if it is not in that role.

I really like Verron as a runningback... that is why I posted this to see how you guys felt. I think he's the most natural runner on the team with the best vision, and the best speed/power/agility combo. I would love to see him back and getting more carries next year.
Thats part of the problem if he also thinks that he can start in this league, then he will be a problem to resign

shevdog
12-29-2005, 06:27 PM
I won't mind see Haynes return. He has been solid when he has played.

With Parker starting, the Steelers will need a good power back. Maybe Duce can do it or maybe not. I don't want to think about the 2006 season until after February, yet I think 2006 will be a transitional year with the running game. Cowher has typically had a power running back, like Foster, Bam Morrison, and the Bus. If Duce can step up injury free with Parker then 2006 will be fine for the Steelers running game.

Suitanim
12-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Thats part of the problem if he also thinks that he can start in this league, then he will be a problem to resign

Only if someone else is willing to take a chance on him. I think it's possible a division rival may dangle a little extra jack out there, not because they value him so much for them, but because it makes us a little weaker to steal him.

tony hipchest
12-29-2005, 07:11 PM
Only if someone else is willing to take a chance on him. I think it's possible a division rival may dangle a little extra jack out there, not because they value him so much for them, but because it makes us a little weaker to steal him.

like when the pats tried to get chris fuamatumaafala (not a division rival but you get the point)

Suitanim
12-29-2005, 07:19 PM
Didn't know that, but I do know he ended up in Jax (who cut him this year), and they had a long history of stealing our players for one reason or another...

Stlrs4Life
12-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Verron is a very good 3rd down back. He does do pretty well when he gets his chances. But in the past he has had a few injuries. I would sign him, but I wouldn't break the bank on him.