PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING NEWS: Bengals..Palmer signs extension

Brady12
12-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Carson Palmer has been signed to a 6 year Contract extension, through 2014.

Just saw it on the NFL Network ticker..

BB2W
12-29-2005, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I live in Ohio and heard this on the radio... They said it was done to make cap room to keep the offensive line intact.

steeler47
12-29-2005, 01:15 PM
Palmer Agrees to Extension with Bengals
The Cincinnati Bengals (http://www.kffl.com/team/12/nfl) have announced QB Carson Palmer (http://www.kffl.com/player/5892/nfl) has signed a new agreement with the team, which extends his contract through the 2014 season. Bengals.com (http://www.kffl.com/link/126) reports Palmer is expected to receive an estimated $30 million in up-front money.

Now I wonder if Big Ben will stay or go somewhere else where he can build his stat's for the HOF?

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2005, 01:24 PM
Thats ludacris if you ask me..signing someone thru 2014.. I mean comon really ! I would imagine since I dont know for sure yet that his contract is somewhat backloaded too after all the initial upfront money.

The guy is good, there is no denying that, and definately one of the bright stars of the NFL..but damn thats alittle ridiculous if you ask me.

Ben understands the way the Steelers work and the way they pay their players so I wouldnt worry about him too much.

Koopa
12-29-2005, 01:25 PM
damn, that's a long ass time........................ come on big ben, do the same so i don't have worry if you are gonna leave

clevestinks
12-29-2005, 01:58 PM
Great move by the Bengals and by Palmer

Suitanim
12-29-2005, 04:03 PM
Yup, I concur...but look for this to be a blueprint for what it will take the Steelers to keep Ben...you think Ward's contract was big?

bengalsfan21
12-29-2005, 04:17 PM
Ben would have to do more then throw for 200+ yds 20% of the time before he gets something like that.

tony hipchest
12-29-2005, 05:10 PM
Ben would have to do more then throw for 200+ yds 20% of the time before he gets something like that.

no he wont. theres more than putting up josh mccown type numbers to getting a big contract. you think carson woulda got the same deal with the same #'s if they were 8-8 again?

ben has had right around 200 yds in the first HALF of 3-4 games this year. ill just call it 25%-30% of the time.

and to expand on this there are theories that most qb's only have a limited # of throws in their arm. maybe carsons arm falls off in about 10-12 years when ben still has a good 4-5 years beyond that. the same theory has been explored for pitchers in the mlb.

Ambridge
12-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Should Carson have a career ending injury in the next couple of seasons he gets to laugh every step of the way to the bank while the Bengals sign Kyle Boller as their new starting QB for a bargain salary.

Suitanim
12-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Again, when Carson Palmer was Ben's current age, he was playing College football having wet dreams about the NFL...but you may be right without knowing it, 21...Ben may be putting up even more explosive numbers than Palmer's current #'s come 2007-08, and he may command Peyton Manning type $$$'s.

clevestinks
12-29-2005, 07:49 PM
I agree with everyone who thinks we update Bens contract A.s.a.p. But we all know how stubborn the Steelers are about renegotiating more than 1 year out. They did it for Tommy, but other than that????????????

BigCat
12-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Should Carson have a career ending injury in the next couple of seasons he gets to laugh every step of the way to the bank while the Bengals sign Kyle Boller as their new starting QB for a bargain salary.
Actually they wouldn't have to sign a bargain quarterback. Most of the 30 millon up front money counts against the cap this year. So if he gets injured next year, he's not going to get much. And the Bengals won't be cap crunching.

CantStop85
12-29-2005, 09:31 PM
Yeah, I'm sure he'll be laughing if he gets a career ending injury.

If you're Carson, you have to love the confidence the organization has put into you. It looks like the Bengals have found a good way to get the money to keep the offensive line intact. Kudos.

$118 million total...the largest in NFL history. The good thing is that it uses up all the cap space the Bengals had from this season so it didn't just go to waste...it was a very smart decision and very selfless decision on Palmer's part.

Koopa
12-29-2005, 09:47 PM
that would be funny if they leave anyway

tony hipchest
12-29-2005, 10:09 PM
the bengals are probably saving money in the longrun on this deal. its obvious he is not a leaf, couch, harrington, carr etc. in 6-7 years his salary will be chump change to what a #1 pick rookie qb will be making in his 1st year, and if palmer is playing up to the money he is making today he will be threatening to sit out the season unless his contract is re-structured to pay him what the other top 5 qb's are making in say 2009-2011.

Ambridge
12-30-2005, 12:25 AM
$118 million total...the largest in NFL history. The good thing is that it uses up all the cap space the Bengals had from this season so it didn't just go to waste...it was a very smart decision and very selfless decision on Palmer's part.

The Bengals had an actual 100+million in cap space remaining or just a portion of that used up the remainder of the cap space??

CantStop85
12-30-2005, 12:33 AM
The Bengals had an actual 100+million in cap space remaining or just a portion of that used up the remainder of the cap space??
I'd laugh, but you're probably being serious.

clevestinks
12-30-2005, 09:39 AM
Yeah, I'm sure he'll be laughing if he gets a career ending injury.

If you're Carson, you have to love the confidence the organization has put into you. It looks like the Bengals have found a good way to get the money to keep the offensive line intact. Kudos.

props to Palmer, and Cinci. Palmer is really developing into a damn good NFL qb. And he has alot of weapons along with him.

bengalsfan21
12-30-2005, 11:17 AM
:iagree: I heard on the radio Chad mentioned he would like an extension to be able to stay with Palmer :banana:

clevestinks
12-30-2005, 11:46 AM
:iagree: I heard on the radio Chad mentioned he would like an extension to be able to stay with Palmer :banana:
Well you had to know that was coming! :rolleyes:

CantStop85
12-30-2005, 12:16 PM
Here's how the contract expirations will go for the offense:
Carson 2014
Chad 2009
Rudi 2009
TJ 2008
Next up...taking care of the OL.
2006 Bobbie Williams, Willie Anderson, Eric Steinbach, Levi Jones

You're gonna be seeing these guys in stripes for a while.

Suitanim
12-30-2005, 01:00 PM
Here's the problem with this...since the Bengals are winning, other teams are going to start overvaluing your players, and your cap won't have room to keep all these players. It's a problem inherent to winning teams, and the ability to overcome the adversity created when the inevitable defections come is the true measure of how good the organization and coaches are...