PDA

View Full Version : Ward/Hampton named co-MVP's

BB2W
12-29-2005, 03:23 PM
PITTSBURGH — For only the second time during the Bill Cowher era and the third time since 1988, the Steelers named co-MVPs when teammates selected nose tackle Casey Hampton and wide receiver Hines Ward as the players who made the biggest contributions to the team in 2005.

Hampton, a five-year veteran and a 2004 Pro Bowl selection (2003 season), was voted team MVP for the first time in his career, becoming the first Steelers defensive lineman to earn the honor since Hall of Fame defensive tackle Joe Greene in 1970.

Hampton made a complete comeback this year after missing most of the 2004 season with a knee injury. A key component to the Steelers’ 3-4 defense, Hampton is one of the main reasons the Steelers lead the AFC and rank third in the NFL in total defense after 15 games. Regularly asked to occupy multiple blockers and help free up the team’s linebackers, Hampton has recorded 42 tackles (24 solo), four tackles for losses and forced one fumble this season.

Ward, an eight-year veteran and four-time Pro Bowl selection, received the honor for the third time in the past four seasons, after previously being voted MVP in 2002 and 2003. He was a co-MVP with linebacker Joey Porter in 2002.

Ward leads all Steelers in receptions (68), receiving yards (935) and touchdowns (11) this season. His 11 touchdown receptions are one shy of his team record-tying 12 (2002) and one shy of the league leader in 2005. Ward became the Steelers’ all-time leading receiver this season with 573 receptions, and needs 10 receiving yards to become only the second receiver in Steelers history to reach 7,000 yards for his career. His 52 touchdown catches are second-most in team history.

link-----> http://media3.steelers.com/article/60772/

Koopa
12-29-2005, 03:27 PM
congrats to that boi from UT and hines ward. hopefully we can get ward in the endzone twice sunday and get him over a 1000 yards recieving for the year so he can keep that streak alive.

MichiSteeler
12-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Congrats. Although I wouldnt have guessed that either of them would have been it. I would have guessed that Joey Porter would be 1 and idk who else. I'm glad Hines is an MVP though, he brings alot to the team.

BB2W
12-29-2005, 03:35 PM
I was just thinking... it's ironic that both players were givin big time contract extensions in the offseason. They sure didn't let anyone down... they got their check, and proved they were worth it on the field. You see so many players get their "payday" and then stink for the rest of their career.

Obviously the front office did a good job on resigning these two guys...

Hammer67
12-29-2005, 03:38 PM
Congrats to both of them but I really think Ben is the most indespensible player and the team MVP.

Brady12
12-29-2005, 03:47 PM
Hines Ward is a definate MVP for the Steelers, Congrats to the both of them.

Prosdo
12-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Well deserved for both. Congrats to both!

clevestinks
12-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Congrats to both!
But it seems to me that much of our success on defense depends on where Troy Polamula is. The first player that the opposing qb is looking for is #43.
Hines Ward is a good choice. But we can`t win without Ben!

Koopa
12-29-2005, 06:02 PM
hell it might be a pity award for both cause they didn't make the pro bowl

BlitzburghRockCity
12-29-2005, 07:49 PM
I was just thinking... it's ironic that both players were givin big time contract extensions in the offseason. They sure didn't let anyone down... they got their check, and proved they were worth it on the field. You see so many players get their "payday" and then stink for the rest of their career.

Obviously the front office did a good job on resigning these two guys...

Exactly right man..these guys performed well in their contract years and continue to do it at a high level. We are a better team for having these 2 in the starting lineups for sure.

Stlrs4Life
12-29-2005, 08:37 PM
Congrats to both guys, and well deserved by both!

clevestinks
12-29-2005, 08:51 PM
Everyone is right, when you have a good team there are so mnay deserving players. But I still like Troy for MVP

melroseplace
12-29-2005, 09:24 PM
I'm so happy to see that they both got it...both are well-deserving

SteelCityMan786
12-29-2005, 11:08 PM
Great Job Ward and Hampton you proved yourselves once more. keep it up

Hammer67
12-30-2005, 02:57 AM
Troy hasn't performed as well as he did last year although that still means he was better then most in the league.

I still contend that Ben is the x-factor. If he didn't miss those earlier games (Jacksonville and Baltimore 2) they probably would have won. Plus, the second highest Passer rating in the league behind Peyton....

steelersgirl86
12-30-2005, 06:48 AM
Congrats to both they deserve it. I have to agree I would think that Troy deserves it more though. But keep up the good work.....I would vote 10 MVP's if I could....:blurp:

clevestinks
12-30-2005, 11:44 AM
Pittsburgh Post Gazette has a poll, on whether or not Ben deserved to be our teams MVP. with 1244 votes so far. No 65% Yes 35%

BB2W
12-30-2005, 12:26 PM
I think Troy is the obvious pick for the fans because you see him running around and he occasionally gets his hands on the ball, but players and coaches vote for MVP. I think they must know how much Hampton means to that 3-4, and that it all starts with him... they have probabaly seen hours and hours of film of Casey fighting off double and triple teams every week almost every snap.

clevestinks
12-30-2005, 12:45 PM
I think Troy is the obvious pick for the fans because you see him running around and he occasionally gets his hands on the ball, but players and coaches vote for MVP. I think they must know how much Hampton means to that 3-4, and that it all starts with him... they have probabaly seen hours and hours of film of Casey fighting off double and triple teams every week almost every snap.
good points BB2W , like I said before its a tough call, Hampton, Troy, Porter, Farrior, pick one???????? It does seem to me that the opposing qb`s come to the line and look to see where Troy is first. So even when he is not involved in the play, he has possibly disrupted already?

BB2W
12-30-2005, 12:56 PM
I am sure that Troy will be named team MVP at some point in the future...

melroseplace
12-30-2005, 02:20 PM
Troy hasn't performed as well as he did last year although that still means he was better then most in the league.

I still contend that Ben is the x-factor. If he didn't miss those earlier games (Jacksonville and Baltimore 2) they probably would have won. Plus, the second highest Passer rating in the league behind Peyton....

Troy was on fire early in the season, then seemed to back down after the game (don't remember which one) where he was so fired up and got all kinds of penalties.

and I somewhat agree with you about Ben. I mean, I'm happy that Ward and Hampton got MVPs, I think they both deserve it, but I think had been not been out this year our record would be a lot better than it is