PDA

View Full Version : Notes: Cards don't mind early deficit

mesaSteeler
01-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Notes: Cards don't mind early deficit
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/2009/01/24/20090124spt-cardsnb.html

by Bob McManaman - Jan. 24, 2009 07:07 PM
The Arizona Republic

Much is being made about the Cardinals' chances in the Super Bowl should they find themselves facing an early deficit against the Pittsburgh Steelers and their top-ranked defense.

Specifically, few think the Cardinals can come back if they fall behind by 14 or more points.

"No way in the world are they going to come back from a 14-point deficit and beat the Pittsburgh Steelers," Patriots safety Rodney Harrison said on the NFL Network.

Told of Harrison's prediction, Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt smiled and said, "Well, I guess we better not fall behind by two touchdowns."

"Look, you never know how games are going to go," he added. "But we've done some really good things offensively, especially in the playoffs, and if it comes down to that situation, I would expect our team will respond."

Cardinals receiver Anquan Boldin didn't want to respond to Harrison's comments.

"We're not going to win any game by talking through the media or anything like that," Boldin said. "We're going to come out and play football and let the rest take care of itself."

Still, Boldin said the Cardinals would be able to overcome an early deficit.

"We're a team that can score points, and we have a defense that can stop teams from scoring," he said. "If we do get down, there's no reason to panic, because we've been down this season and have been able to come back from some deficits."

(Well if they don't mind an early deficit I think we should accommodate them. - mesa)

Injury update

Running back J.J. Arrington won't test his injured knee in practice until after the team arrives in Tampa.

Whisenhunt remained optimistic about the availability of Arrington, defensive end/outside linebacker Travis LaBoy (biceps tendon) and punter Ben Graham (groin) for the Super Bowl.

Extra points

Whisenhunt said he has called for a nightly team curfew in Tampa that begins Wednesday and continues through Saturday night. He would not disclose the curfew time. (A curfew? Well that's showing a lot of trust in his team. - mesa)

The Cardinals will wear their red home jerseys in Super Bowl XLIII, and the Steelers will wear their road white jerseys. (How nice of them to wear red since the blood won't show as we beat the crap out of them. - mesa)

Whizard of Glendale
01-25-2009, 10:54 PM
Nice... a little fuel for the Cards. They got their doubters... bout to shock the world.

IAWarnerFan
01-25-2009, 10:57 PM
I agree tho. If the Cardinals are to have any chance in this one they better take control early. :noidea:

tyler289
01-25-2009, 11:08 PM
If there's an offense that can come back from 14 down, it may be Arizona. Besides, 14-0 in the 1st quarter isn't really that bad. If it's 14-0 or something in the 4th, they'll have some trouble

tony hipchest
01-25-2009, 11:09 PM
and likewise, if the steelers are down 24-6, i have no doubt whatsoever that the steelers can easilly come back.

HometownGal
01-25-2009, 11:16 PM
"We're a team that can score points, and we have a defense that can stop teams from scoring," he said.

:laughing::rofl::toofunny: Tell that to the Eagles, Jets, Giants, Vikes and Cheatsies*.

"If we do get down, there's no reason to panic, because we've been down this season and have been able to come back from some deficits."

You've also given up some nice leads there, pal. Last week's game ring a bell?

Looking forward to seeing you make an azz of yourself throwing another temper tantrum at your OC on national TV. :laughing:

ADub>Bustamalu
01-25-2009, 11:22 PM
We gave up a lead to D McNabb and the high powered Philly offense. You guys can not move the ball down the field the way Philly can. Not saying you can't drive, because you can. I just don't see your team being able to knock off huge chunks of yards in a short amount of time like us or like Philly.

drizze99
01-25-2009, 11:30 PM
and likewise, if the steelers are down 24-6, i have no doubt whatsoever that the steelers can easilly come back.

true dat

X-Terminator
01-25-2009, 11:33 PM
We gave up a lead to D McNabb and the high powered Philly offense. You guys can not move the ball down the field the way Philly can. Not saying you can't drive, because you can. I just don't see your team being able to knock off huge chunks of yards in a short amount of time like us or like Philly.

Since you made a football post, I'll bite:

See, that's just it. The Steelers don't HAVE to eat up large chunks of yardage because they try to control the clock by running the football. They want long, sustained drives that ends in TDs, thus keeping the Cards' offense on the sideline and tiring out their defense. That is one of the keys in this game - if the Steelers get their running game going consistently, it's going to be a long night for the Cards. I think that's part of the reason why the Cards are where they are - the teams you faced abandoned the run early and tried to attack your secondary. The Steelers (hopefully) will not do that.

TheSteelCurtain
01-25-2009, 11:41 PM
You do know since Cowher became coach we are 126-1-1 with a 14pt lead at any time in the game. I dont look for that to get broken.

TheSteelCurtain
01-25-2009, 11:43 PM
I also remember a 2 minute 90 yard drive to beat the 2nd best defense in the NFL in their stadium.

LVSteelersfan
01-26-2009, 12:43 AM
Nice... a little fuel for the Cards. They got their doubters... bout to shock the world.

Talk about copy cat BS. The Steelers used that term in '05. Shock the World is old news Card fans. BTW, you people are idiots if you don't think the Steelers can move the ball on your defense. You think just because you have two or three very good defensive players that it is enough. Sorry to spoil your delusion, but the Steelers defense has EXCELLENT players at EVERY SINGLE POSITION and some of the best backups for them in the league. Your defense is a joke. And Ben and Willie Parker and company WILL move the ball with ease against them.

stlrtruck
01-26-2009, 08:48 AM
They've already shocked the world and that card is played out (no pun intended) but if they want to play those type of cards - don't forget we've always trumped anything thrown our way.

CPanther95
01-26-2009, 08:51 AM
They shocked the world when they sold out their playoff game with only a 2 day extension.

Edman
01-26-2009, 09:56 AM
For a week and a half the Steelers Defense has been an afterthought. To Cardinals fans and the media. Everyone is raving about Warner and the Cards offense. Fitz is great though, no doubt.

shevdog
01-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Cardinals have got to keep things close against the Steelers. I'm not talking trash against the red birds, yet any team in the NFL has little chance against the Steelers when they go up by 13+ points. Ravens even had a hard time, yet their defense allowed a setup for that late TD that got things close. I doubt this will be an "air it out" kind of game, since the Steelers secondary is too good too allow that. And little is mentioned about the Cardinals running game, which is a big part to their success. Kind of reminds me of a Wiz lead XL offense, with the early air attack and then pounding the ball.

A mistake free Big Ben = Steelers XLIII win

Ben lucked out in XL, especially in the first half. But Ben is three years more forged a Steeler, so there is much hope of Ben's mistake free streek continuing.

As for Warner, he's a bit better then Ben in the playoff, having a good history too. But against the Steel Curtain II, it is not a matter if, rather when Kurt will throw INT's and the O-line lose some fumbles. Over-rated Flacco didn't have any between his meetings with the Steelers.

markymarc
01-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Since you made a football post, I'll bite:

See, that's just it. The Steelers don't HAVE to eat up large chunks of yardage because they try to control the clock by running the football. They want long, sustained drives that ends in TDs, thus keeping the Cards' offense on the sideline and tiring out their defense. That is one of the keys in this game - if the Steelers get their running game going consistently, it's going to be a long night for the Cards. I think that's part of the reason why the Cards are where they are - the teams you faced abandoned the run early and tried to attack your secondary. The Steelers (hopefully) will not do that.

Very well stated!

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Willie has 30+ carries , lets bring the Six pack home! :tt03:

GodofGridiron
01-26-2009, 11:17 AM
Cardinals have got to keep things close against the Steelers. I'm not talking trash against the red birds, yet any team in the NFL has little chance against the Steelers when they go up by 13+ points. Ravens even had a hard time, yet their defense allowed a setup for that late TD that got things close. I doubt this will be an "air it out" kind of game, since the Steelers secondary is too good too allow that. And little is mentioned about the Cardinals running game, which is a big part to their success. Kind of reminds me of a Wiz lead XL offense, with the early air attack and then pounding the ball.

A mistake free Big Ben = Steelers XLIII win

Ben lucked out in XL, especially in the first half. But Ben is three years more forged a Steeler, so there is much hope of Ben's mistake free streek continuing.

As for Warner, he's a bit better then Ben in the playoff, having a good history too. But against the Steel Curtain II, it is not a matter if, rather when Kurt will throw INT's and the O-line lose some fumbles. Over-rated Flacco didn't have any between his meetings with the Steelers.

Ben's gonna do fine im sure of it. Jr really wants to rid himself of that lingering stigma of slopping up his first Super Bowl. He'll do much much better this time around and i expect a near triple digit passer rating.

CPanther95
01-26-2009, 12:19 PM
So everyone is agreed - Steelers and Cardinals don't mind the Steelers jumping out to an early lead.

HometownGal
01-26-2009, 12:37 PM
So everyone is agreed - Steelers and Cardinals don't mind the Steelers jumping out to an early lead.

:laughing::thumbsup::applaudit:

Nope. I sure as hell don't. :chuckle:

With that said, however - the Steelers have played their best football this season in the second half. I'm not going to be one bit upset if the Steelers kick off to open the game.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-26-2009, 01:58 PM
:laughing::thumbsup::applaudit:

Nope. I sure as hell don't. :chuckle:

With that said, however - the Steelers have played their best football this season in the second half. I'm not going to be one bit upset if the Steelers kick off to open the game.

I hope we do kick off, get the ball back on a 3 and out (or a turnover preferably) and go up by 7 early.

T&B fan
01-26-2009, 03:57 PM
You do know since Cowher became coach we are 126-1-1 with a 14pt lead at any time in the game. I dont look for that to get broken.

I thought it was 11 point lead ..we win .

They shocked the world when they sold out their playoff game with only a 2 day extension.

yes and just think if the cards fans would not come out to a NFC champ game at home, just how many are going to go to tampa .. its going to look just like 2005 SB black and gold everyplace you look . home game in FL :tt03: