PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin Overrated

Indo
01-26-2009, 04:25 PM
I was just looking around on the Cards forum and ran into this:

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/mike-tomlin-is-by-far-the-most-overrated-coach-in-the-league-128401.html

How these morons think that a guy who got his team to the Big Dance in his second year as HC is overrated is just beyond anything I can comprehend...

fansince'76
01-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Consider the source - people who started paying attention all of 3 weeks ago. :coffee:

IamTheSteelGod
01-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Tomlin is a good headcoach, he has fixed many potholes in the team e.g. the db's! Shame he can't sort out the o-line. Oh well he has done the best with what he had.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Well then I guess Whisenhut is overrated too then!

Now we all know that's not true. Whiz and Tomlin are two of the brightest young coaches in the league.

But this is coming from a Cardinals fan? They didn't even know the name of thier team's head coach all of 4 weeks ago.

4xSBChamps
01-26-2009, 04:36 PM
..... this is coming from a Cardinals fan? They didn't even know the name of thier team's head coach all of 4 weeks ago.

Red Schoendienst..... correct?

:noidea:

NEPAsteeler
01-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Let them think what they want. I love the mentality that Coach Tomlin has brought to this team. :tt03:

fansince'76
01-26-2009, 04:41 PM
I heard Van Pelt fawning over him today on the radio and he deserves alot of love. Not more then Wiz though. I have said it 3 times and I'll say it again. Taking the Steelers to the Super Bowl in 2 years is one thing......you can all finish the rest of that sentence.

I just don't think he is as strong on his side of the ball as Wiz is at his. And he doesn't have to be with Lebeau in place. As far as good young coaches go I consider him

Anyone want to guess who I have ranked ahead of him?

Hint: Not Mike Smith

Gee, I wonder if letting your team roll over and play dead while getting punked to the tune of 47-7 is part of being "the best young HC in the league" too? :coffee:

Need4spd
01-26-2009, 04:46 PM
In defense of the other members of said forum (not that I'm here to defend them), if you read through the rest of that thread, everyone else who commented has disagreed with the originator poster.

It goes without saying that the original poster knows little of which he speaks. As mentioned above, how can a coach who's taking his team to the Super Bowl in his second year, by definition, be overrated?

TheSteelCurtain
01-26-2009, 04:47 PM
If you are gonna say something you should know something.

Does he realize that his team has 4 guys off our staff. Not just Whiz.
Does he realize most Head Coaches dont call all the plays.
Does he realize we have implied a pile of impliments of the cover 2 Tomlin has ran before.

jev7452
01-26-2009, 04:52 PM
well lets not bash all cardinal fans for this post.. the majority of them did say they disagreed and not all of them are morons

tyler289
01-26-2009, 05:12 PM
These fans wouldn't know Mike Tomlin if he walked by them on the street. They don't know what he has done for the team and its mindset.

At least most of them disagree.

stlrtruck
01-26-2009, 05:26 PM
These fans wouldn't know Mike Tomlin if he walked by them on the street. They don't know what he has done for the team and its mindset.

Of course they would, he's Omar Epps!

BlastFurnace
01-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Red Schoendienst..... correct?

:noidea:

They probably think that Stan Musial is their all time leading rusher.

tyler289
01-26-2009, 05:39 PM

Touche!

OneForTheToe
01-26-2009, 05:42 PM

Many of these fans wouldn't know coach Wizz if walked by them on the street.:coffee::wink02:

4xSBChamps
01-26-2009, 06:01 PM
They probably think that Stan Musial is their all time leading rusher.

[Cardinal fan of 3 weeks]

"..... WRONG, Steeler-fan..... EVERYBODY knows that is Lou Brock!!!!!"

[Cardinal fan of 3 weeks]

TheSteelCurtain
01-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Didnt they have the guy that did steroids and hit all the home runs?

4xSBChamps
01-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Didnt they have the guy that did steroids and hit all the home runs?

..... Conrad Dobler?

TheSteelCurtain
01-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Tom Tupa maybee?

Dino 6 Rings
01-26-2009, 06:39 PM
HA HA HA!

Yeah, and when Tomlin's Over Rated draft Pick Woodely brings the Lumber to Kurt and sacks him early and often...we'll all get to talk about how bad he is as Head Coach...ha ha ha ha ha.

AllD
01-26-2009, 06:45 PM
The real mesaage is that a coach like Tomlin can thrive in a system created by the Rooney's. The Rooney's deserve a lot of the credit in the fact that they infused new momentum into the team and created a system that is a consistant winner (post 1971).

shevdog
01-26-2009, 07:18 PM
Tomlin is over rated. So are the Steelers. Dang it! Guess we just pack our bags back up and fly back to Pittsburgh International. Drat.

LOL!

The Duke
01-26-2009, 07:21 PM
To be fair, it's just the thread starter that's a moron

hasn't changed a thing? :rofl:

HometownGal
01-26-2009, 07:23 PM
That's a real mental midget who started that thread. Note from his original post:

Theres a reason Tomlins headset isn't ever on. I doubt this clown even calls any plays.

Take a look at the pic below his post and what is Coach Tomlin wearing on his head? :doh::doh::doh:

http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/warehouse/storage2/2007-w45/img.61131_t.jpg

This turd has the IQ of a fruit fly. :doh:

Neil-Still-Rules-14
01-26-2009, 07:45 PM
To be honest, I think almost all head coaches are overrated. Great players make great teams.

lilyoder6
01-26-2009, 08:51 PM
i love the fact that he is the only one on the forum bashing him.. while his other posters are disagreeing with him.. lol

Galax Steeler
01-27-2009, 03:59 AM
They sure have alot to talk about the cardinal fans are talking about our coach and they have a team in the superbowl I would be talking about the suprbowl not someone elses coach.:noidea:

markymarc
01-27-2009, 07:31 AM
The starter of that thread is the only idiot talking. Everyone else was just disagreeing.

chatman
01-27-2009, 07:45 AM
first the buck stops with the head coach--look where we are at

there is alot to be said for not screwing up a good thing---cowher did it year after year-

tomlin has the attitude --play to win --vs cowhers play not to lose

with tomlin's attitude we will win super bowls

IronFan
01-27-2009, 08:12 AM
To be honest, I think almost all head coaches are overrated. Great players make great teams.

In some respects I can agree but a lot can be said of teams loaded with talent that donít do much (the cowboys) versus some teams that are on the lower end of the talent pool that win championships (the first Patriots team in 2001).

I think that what Whiz has done this year is a more admirable accomplishment than what Tomlin has done. Thatís not to say he is the better coach but rather he had more of an opportunity to impress than Tomlin did. Lets face it, the Steeler roster is far more talented as a whole. Itís simply more impressive to take a team like the Cardinals to the SB than it is to take the Steelers.

That will all be a moot point though this time next week with the image of Tomlin hoisting the Lombardi in a sea of confetti burned into our minds. Winning is everything and in the end, Tomlin will win.

4xSBChamps
01-27-2009, 08:16 AM
I think that what Whiz has done this year is a more admirable accomplishment than what Tomlin has done. Thatís not to say he is the better coach but rather he had more of an opportunity to impress than Tomlin did. Lets face it, the Steeler roster is far more talented as a whole. Itís simply more impressive to take a team like the Cardinals to the SB than it is to take the Steelers.

and quite-possibly changing the mindset of an entire organization that has done nothing but lose for 60 years
:drink:

fansince'76
01-27-2009, 08:30 AM
I think that what Whiz has done this year is a more admirable accomplishment than what Tomlin has done.

Does that include getting waxed by scores of 35-14, 48-20 and 47-7?

SteelCityMom
01-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Yeah, nobody needs to look any further than the Cowboys to see how bad ownership and bad coaching ruined a team. They consistently have had the kind of talent to make it to the SB or at least win a playoff game here and there, but have been dragged down from within constantly.

I know Tomlin inherited a great team, but has done a good job at keeping those men motivated and has kept them believing in themselves no matter what. Without that motivation, I believe this team would have faltered significantly. They were in need of a boost and a fresh, exuberant face on the sidelines, especially after Cowher had pretty much packed it in after winning the SB. With bad coaching, the Steelers could have gone in a very bad direction for sure.

IronFan
01-27-2009, 08:34 AM
Does that include getting waxed by scores of 35-14, 48-20 and 47-7?
Yeah.

IronFan
01-27-2009, 08:37 AM
I know Tomlin inherited a great team, but has done a good job at keeping those men motivated and has kept them believing in themselves no matter what. Without that motivation, I believe this team would have faltered significantly. They were in need of a boost and a fresh, exuberant face on the sidelines, especially after Cowher had pretty much packed it in after winning the SB. With bad coaching, the Steelers could have gone in a very bad direction for sure.
Tomlin has done a fantastic job. Right now I don't know if there is another coach in the league I would take over him. We aren't where we are without Tomlin.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Yeah, where was the posts from back in September where some Steeler fans here were saying Tomlin will be the downfall of this team and he was only hired because of the Rooney Rule?
:rofl:

mtsamuelson
01-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Overrated?

No.

They are just jealous because not only is Tomlin a great coach, but he's a helluva great neurologist too.

IronFan
01-27-2009, 11:24 AM
I thought it was plausible that the Rooney rule played a role in the hiring and still do. Wouldn’t it be hard not to factor that in if you are Dan Rooney? I don’t think it was a deciding factor though. Dan Rooney would not handicap his team and his family’s success intentionally just to prove he was willing to abide by certain standards that he championed. Was it on his mind? I’m sure it was. And when a guy like Tomlin came along and blew his socks off it made the decision all the more appealing.

For the same reasons that I don’t think Rooney would intentionally hurt his team for a new hire I think the Rooney-Rule in general is silly. Racism is not a factor in the NFL head coaching ranks. Team owners want to win and they don’t care who is wearing the headset. They are going to go with their best chance guy. Where racism might be a factor is at the lower levels though where minorities aren’t afforded the opportunities to gain the experience necessary to compete for these jobs.

fansince'76
01-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Yeah, where was the posts from back in September where some Steeler fans here were saying Tomlin will be the downfall of this team and he was only hired because of the Rooney Rule?
:rofl:

More like late October: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=462842#post462842

Funny how the nimrod hasn't shown back up since. :coffee:

stillers4me
01-27-2009, 12:08 PM
There was no reason for the Rooney's to interview Tomlin due to the Rooney rule. They had already interviewed Ron Rivera. Tomlin was brought in and hired based on his abilities and skills alone.

IronFan
01-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Maybe. I still think that a part of Rooney wanted to afford a minority a chance. Nothing wrong with that either. It was a fantastic hire and Tomlin has proven more than qualified.

SC Gamecokk
01-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Consider the source - people who started paying attention all of 3 weeks ago. :coffee:

:applaudit:

7SteelGal43
01-27-2009, 07:05 PM

so I'm not the only one who sees the resemblence ?:laughing:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-27-2009, 07:07 PM
More like late October: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=462842#post462842

Funny how the nimrod hasn't shown back up since. :coffee:
Oh yeah......that was a good post. :chuckle:

There was another one where somebody thought that Tomlin was "bad news" for the Steelers and wanted to know why he was a better pick than Grimm. He didnt want to hear the "Tomlin has a presence in the room".

I listed several things that I thought were tangible qualities.....but never heard back on that one.

I think it was Bum Phillips that said Paul Bear Bryant could take his guys and beat yours, then take yours and beat his guys. Tomlin isnt there yet, but I bet you put Mangini, Jauron, Lewis, Zorn, Phillips, Billick in as the Steelers head coach and they dont make the playoffs.

7SteelGal43
01-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Overrated?

No.

They are just jealous because not only is Tomlin a great coach, but he's a helluva great neurologist too.

:rofl: i'm trippin on the Omar Epps references :flap:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-27-2009, 07:24 PM
:rofl: i'm trippin on the Omar Epps references :flap:

Oh Yeah......well then, they must be wishin' they had "Juice" like coach T.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/ca/Juice_Poster.jpg