PDA

View Full Version : Obama chooses to skip Salute to heroes Ball

hindes204
01-26-2009, 09:07 PM
http://www.clevelandleader.com/node/8666

American Legion Acknowledges That Obama Failed to Attend the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball

Submitted by Julie on January 25, 2009 - 11:18am. Elections Elections 2008 Government News Politics Society U.S. Government U.S. Politics US News White House

Barack Obama became the first U.S. president to skip out on the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball since its inception in 1953. The event recognizes recipients of the military's highest award - the Medal of Honor - and as The Cleveland Leader previously reported, over the past 56 years and 14 inaugurations, no President has failed to appear at this event until now. Following the breaking of this news, there have been some misconceptions and erroneous information floating around. The American Legion, one of the main sponsors of the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball, issued a statement making it clear once and for all that Barack Obama did not in fact attend the event. Craig Roberts, Media Relations Manager for the American Legion, issued the following statement: The American Legion, as it has on every inauguration evening since 1953, hosted the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Banquet & Ball on January 20th. The quadrennial event is co-sponsored with fourteen veterans service and military service organizations and honors recipients of the Medal of Honor. Forty-seven of these heroes attended this year’s event which was held in the Renaissance Washington DC Hotel. President Obama was invited but did not attend. Vice-President Joe Biden did appear, however, and was very warmly received. The new President’s absence was understandable considering the unprecedented logistical challenges presented by the vastly increased number of visitors to this inauguration and the necessary attendant security measures. The American Legion, as an organization, does not feel offended or “snubbed.”
Obama did make appearances at 10 official balls on January 20, including the Neighborhood Ball, the Home State Ball for Illinois and Hawaii, the Commander-in-Chief Ball, the Youth Inaugural Ball, and the Home State Ball for Delaware and Pennsylvania. He and his wife Michelle finished up the evening with brief appearances at the Mid-Atlantic, Western, Midwest, Easter, and Southern Regional Balls. The Commander-in-Chief Ball, as some have falsely insinuated, is not the same as the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball. The Veteran's Ball, which had been cancelled after the event's organizer disappeared, is also not to be confused with the event honoring Medal of Honor recipients. The Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball did take place at the Renaissance Washington DC Hotel on January 20, 2009. 47 Medal of Honor recipients were in attendance at the event. The President traditionally attends, as does the Vice President and other dignitaries. Vice President Joe Biden did attend, but President Obama did not. Instead, Barack Obama chose to be in the company of Kanye West, Beyonce, Jay-Z, Kid Rock, Stevie Wonder, Mary. J. Blige, Usher, Faith Hill, Alicia Keys, Adam Levine, Shakira, will.i.am, Samuel L. Jackson, Sting, Mariah Carey, Leonardo DiCaprio, Sheryl Crow and Marc Anthony, amongst numerous other celebrities in attendance at the balls he did appear at.
Barack Obama made a monumental mistake in declining to attend the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball in favor of rubbing shoulders with celebrities. While the American Legion states that they do not feel snubbed or offended, plenty of America's citizens and servicemen are.

As a member of the armed forces, this really bothers me, they talk about "logistical challenges" but hes the first president not to go...but he sure made it to the partys with all the famous people

Dino 6 Rings
01-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I read that yesterday. Of coarse, he is under the impression that the Military didn't vote for him according to the polling, so why should he show up and "honor" them with his presence.

hindes204
01-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I read that yesterday. Of coarse, he is under the impression that the Military didn't vote for him according to the polling, so why should he show up and "honor" them with his presence.

I guess because the "celebrities" voted for him, he owed it to them to be there
:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging:

Dino 6 Rings
01-26-2009, 09:25 PM
I guess because the "celebrities" voted for him, he owed it to them to be there
:banging::banging::banging::banging::banging:

Yep, pretty much...I mean, if he's still practicing Chicago Pay to Play politics I mean...I'm sure he really regrets being the First President to miss the Veteran's ball...First President to Diss the Military on his first Day...lots of firsts with this guy.

TheWarDen86
01-26-2009, 09:29 PM
I guess this goes to show that Vets and even MOH recipients have a smaller voice and virtually no influence compared to the celebrity. Been that way for years now. Obama missed an opportunity to win over group of very important people IMO. Oh well, his loss.

devilsdancefloor
01-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Well this really bothers me. those men put their lives on the line at some point in their lives so he could have the rights he has. That shows me he has little respect for the military and the men and women serving.

TheSteelCurtain
01-26-2009, 09:51 PM
Obama to have military ball during inauguration

12:00 AM CST on Friday, January 2, 2009

The Associated Press

HONOLULU – President-elect Barack Obama will have a Commander in Chief's Ball during his inauguration with military personnel, their spouses and those wounded fighting in the ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan as guests.

Officials said Thursday that tickets for the Jan. 20 military-only ball will be free to guests. The formal event will be at the National Building Museum in Washington.

"It is a privilege to honor our men and women in uniform during our inaugural festivities by continuing the tradition of the Commander in Chief's Ball. Our troops represent the best America has to offer, and without their dedication and sacrifice we would not be able to enjoy the freedoms that we are coming together to celebrate on January 20," Obama said in a statement released while he vacationed in his native Hawaii.

Aides say most of the guests will be enlisted personnel and junior officers. Others will be active duty military members, active duty National Guard and National Guard Reserve members. The guest list also will include those injured in military actions, families of those killed in combat and spouses of those deployed.

Obama and his wife, Michelle, are scheduled to attend 10 official inaugural balls.

TheSteelCurtain
01-26-2009, 10:03 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20090121/i/r694881155.jpg?x=400&y=323&q=85&sig=rimKtJIGj86uqb3.zRH.ww--

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20090121/capt.6bf23dbea5754f06a3b54ba96f3026c0.obama_inaugu ration__dchg131.jpg?x=238&y=345&q=85&sig=.BCxFupu0XR4Dd__BiBk2A--

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20090121/capt.515d823c728b4cbfb3663a6018bad36f.obama_inaugu ration__dchg128.jpg?x=400&y=272&q=85&sig=n28jB4Azj4pQbFgkg5Fb3g--

http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/335/42/er6ElTMGDa6MlNxApznNTK6ohsLRbApHf25Zt2Ve92ZHMTvvXp toRaQP2QgefA.0.0.0x0.660x439.jpeg

And god forbid we got kids excited about this election. Its not like they are the future of this country.
Yep that looks like Jay Z to me. Look it was probably a bad move he didnt go. But dont tell me he does not care about the armed forces.

hindes204
01-26-2009, 11:08 PM
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20090121/i/r694881155.jpg?x=400&y=323&q=85&sig=rimKtJIGj86uqb3.zRH.ww--

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20090121/capt.6bf23dbea5754f06a3b54ba96f3026c0.obama_inaugu ration__dchg131.jpg?x=238&y=345&q=85&sig=.BCxFupu0XR4Dd__BiBk2A--

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20090121/capt.515d823c728b4cbfb3663a6018bad36f.obama_inaugu ration__dchg128.jpg?x=400&y=272&q=85&sig=n28jB4Azj4pQbFgkg5Fb3g--

http://cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/335/42/er6ElTMGDa6MlNxApznNTK6ohsLRbApHf25Zt2Ve92ZHMTvvXp toRaQP2QgefA.0.0.0x0.660x439.jpeg

And god forbid we got kids excited about this election. Its not like they are the future of this country.
Yep that looks like Jay Z to me. Look it was probably a bad move he didnt go. But dont tell me he does not care about the armed forces.

those words never came out of my mouth, im just presenting facts....facts never reported by the mainstream media....he was the first president not to honor the MOH recipients

tony hipchest
01-26-2009, 11:17 PM
he was the first president not to honor the MOH recipientsmaybe he was the 1st president to not be invited. :noidea:

steelwall
01-26-2009, 11:27 PM
There is no excuse in my book for not attending.

Preacher
01-26-2009, 11:35 PM
maybe he was the 1st president to not be invited. :noidea:

Trust me, if Clinton was invited, he would be invited.

TheSteelCurtain
01-26-2009, 11:55 PM
I agree he probably should have went but not the end of the world he didnt. I know hindes i just hate the way media puts spins on stuff. Both Sides. barack is not dumb when it comes to public image. This is probably what he is better at than anything. So imagine if he didnt show out it was with no intent to snub the armed forces.

tony hipchest
01-27-2009, 12:03 AM
how many people here actually knew of this inaugural ball before this article?

i didnt. never even heard of it. :noidea:

oh well, i think the same people who disliked him before woulda still disliked him even if he did show up.

steelwall
01-27-2009, 12:37 AM
how many people here actually knew of this inaugural ball before this article?

i didnt. never even heard of it. :noidea:

oh well, i think the same people who disliked him before woulda still disliked him even if he did show up.

I knew about it. Sure I'm x-military but never the less, most importantly I'm sure HE knew about it.

tony hipchest
01-27-2009, 12:40 AM
I knew about it. Sure I'm x-military but never the less, most importantly I'm sure HE knew about it.but he's not ex- military. :noidea:

who was responsible for sending him the invite?

steelwall
01-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Also, I'm sure there's still people that dislike Obama, and I was certainly a Mcain supporter, but I do respect the office, and the leader of our nation.

Makes no difference to me that he is Obama in this situation, had Bush or Mcain skipped this event I would be as equally upset.

steelwall
01-27-2009, 12:46 AM
but he's not ex- military. :noidea:

who was responsible for sending him the invite?

There have been other presidents who were not military men. I can't say who is responsible for sending an official invitation, and not even sure if there is an "official" invitation sent in recent years, since it had become a sort of tradition.

But for argument sake let's say he didn't recieve an invitation, he would have recieved MAJOR kudos from me had he showed up anyway.

steelwall
01-27-2009, 12:51 AM
Lastly, and I know I may seem like I'm spamming this thread, but don't expect Obama to get "free passes" for questionable or wrong decisions, it comes with the office.

I pray that Obama can change this country for the better, I sincerely do, but that doesn't mean I will give him any slack for things I feel strongly about,.......lord knows Bush didn't get much slack.

TheSteelCurtain
01-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Also, I'm sure there's still people that dislike Obama, and I was certainly a Mcain supporter, but I do respect the office, and the leader of our nation.

Makes no difference to me that he is Obama in this situation, had Bush or Mcain skipped this event I would be as equally upset.

Im glad you feel that way. Says alot about your character. I wish a lot of pople would feel more like you. Thanks for your service. I disagreed with a lot of things presidents have done and when bush got elected he wasnt my guy. But its my job as a american to support my leader.

SteelCurtain7
01-27-2009, 05:44 AM

Perhaps because he's the Commander-in-Chief, as well as President? :mad:

Dino 6 Rings
01-27-2009, 07:17 AM
Well...at least Biden went...

RunWillieRun
01-27-2009, 07:40 AM
maybe he was the 1st president to not be invited. :noidea:

Did you read the article? It says in print, "President Obama was invited but did not attend."

HometownGal
01-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Perhaps because he's the Commander-in-Chief, as well as President? :mad:

All the more reason why the Salute To Heroes Ball should have been near the top of his priority list.

KeiselPower99
01-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Everyday that goes by he shows to me why he shouldnt have been elected. This is anti-military and itll be swept under the rug because the media loves him. If this was Bush he wouldve been eaten alive.

revefsreleets
01-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Spin-spinnery-spin-spinnery-spin-spin-spin-spin...

The "Chosen One" effed up. Stop trying to polish a turd and just admit it. This is the first of many mistakes he'll make. The left ripped up Bush unmercifully, but the right is just suppsed to sit back and eat shit when Obama eff's up?

Christ the BALLS on you guys...

tony hipchest
01-27-2009, 10:24 AM
pipe down there stretch. nobodys asking you to eat doo-doo.

Did you read the article? It says in print, "President Obama was invited but did not attend." i guess i glossed right over that. i cant imagine why he would skip out on such a ball of importance.

maybe he does hate the military.

maybe they were serving roasted pork which is against his muslim faith.

maybe secret service thought there might be a threat.

who knows. i woulda gone.

revefsreleets
01-27-2009, 10:29 AM
The myopic hateful Bush bashing was supposed to not have consequences? If this was Bush, this snub would be front page news, CNN and MSNBC would be running it as a top story, and the left (many posters here included) would be like sharks in a pool of chum.

But this is Obama, so he gets a pass...

TheSteelCurtain
01-27-2009, 10:46 AM
The myopic hateful Bush bashing was supposed to not have consequences? If this was Bush, this snub would be front page news, CNN and MSNBC would be running it as a top story, and the left (many posters here included) would be like sharks in a pool of chum.

HELLO! WAKE UP! This story is all over the place.

Texasteel
01-27-2009, 10:46 AM
pipe down there stretch. nobodys asking you to eat doo-doo.

i guess i glossed right over that. i cant imagine why he would skip out on such a ball of importance.

maybe he does hate the military.

maybe they were serving roasted pork which is against his muslim faith.

maybe secret service thought there might be a threat.

who knows. i woulda gone.

Poking fun at this will not make it go away. The president has shown in a very sort time a lack of respect for the men a women that protect this country. He has said that he wants to bring this country together, he is off to a piss poor start.

Maybe I have it wrong, maybe he is just the president of the people that elected him and the rest of us can just wait 4 years to get our own.

TheSteelCurtain
01-27-2009, 11:00 AM
He did not go to a dance with MOH winners on election night. Simply That. He was at the Commander and Chief ball that is strictly a millitary only ball.

Thats like saying i didnt give the african american homeless man a dollar. So I hate poor people and blacks.

Texasteel
01-27-2009, 11:22 AM
He did not go to a dance with MOH winners on election night. Simply That. He was at the Commander and Chief ball that is strictly a millitary only ball.

Thats like saying i didnt give the african american homeless man a dollar. So I hate poor people and blacks.

Calling the Salute to Heroes Inaugural Ball simply a dance go's way past ludicrous. The people that he is Commander and Chief of had a right to expect THEIR president to be there and he broke with protocol by not being there.

Maybe he had a headache or was just tired, but if he did not want the responsibilities that went with the job he shouldn't have ran for president.

TheSteelCurtain
01-27-2009, 11:33 AM
A ball is a dance. It had great american heroes that have done more for this country than I will probably ever do and he should have gone. it was a bad move he didnt go. If you read what i said earlier you would already know that.
But dont make one choice into a whole reason why he hates the armed forces that my friend is way way past ludicrous.
Maybee you should go back to the thread and look at pictures of him at the Commander and Chief Ball. A ball that is only for millitary, free admission and had the rest of the Medal of Honor Winners, Purple Heart Winner and many other American Heroes.

Maybee there was a bigger reason he didnt go you dont know and i dont know. All you can do is speculate.

Texasteel
01-27-2009, 12:02 PM
A ball is an event, not just a dance, and in political circles is used for many different and important reasons. This one could have gone all ways in making a statment to the military, and in fact may have. I did not say he hates the military, I just said he is off to a piss poor start, and IMO he is. Can he make a recovery, in my eye anyway, yes he can and I hope he does.

If you truly think of me as a friend, I thank you. If that was a backhanded insult, I prefer you use another word.

TheSteelCurtain
01-27-2009, 12:09 PM
A ball is an event, not just a dance, and in political circles is used for many different and important reasons. This one could have gone all ways in making a statment to the military, and in fact may have. I did not say he hates the military, I just said he is off to a piss poor start, and IMO he is. Can he make a recovery, in my eye anyway, yes he can and I hope he does.

If you truly think of me as a friend, I thank you. If that was a backhanded insult, I prefer you use another word.

I would never insult a fellow steeler fan and American. Were all friends here. That's what is beautiful about this country we can all agree to disagree. I think it was a bad way to start things off also and I wasnt saying you think that. I just think this article got blown a little out of proportion. I have been reading on it elsewhere and people have some nasty things to say.

Texasteel
01-27-2009, 12:16 PM
I would never insult a fellow steeler fan and American. Were all friends here. That's what is beautiful about this country we can all agree to disagree. I think it was a bad way to start things off also and I wasnt saying you think that. I just think this article got blown a little out of proportion. I have been reading on it elsewhere and people have some nasty things to say.

We agree on the most important things. Believe me when I say I hope he becomes the greatest president we have ever had. See you on the gameday thread, My Friend.

tony hipchest
01-27-2009, 01:37 PM

But this is Obama, so he gets a pass...if you made this post on a michael moore mb, or on a keith olberman fansite i might agree, but where is this multitude of myopic bush haters here that you see? :noidea:

what exactly are the consequences when your rants pretty much fall upon deaf ears?

bush is culpable for his deeds and definitely not beyond reproach. sure, after 8 years he would face some media scrutiny. but comparing obama missing a ball at the beginning of his service to bush doing the same at the end of his is apples to oranges.

bush was generally liked at the beginning of his term and given some slack. hell, j. kerry and a. gore were just as hated in losing as he was in winning. how come you dont see the lefties bashing mccain in the way the right bashed those 2 (and still continue to do so).?

anyways, i think this huge constingency of steelerfever bush haters is just a figment of your imagination, unless you count jeremy and atl dan as "many". guess what? theyre gone.

GBMelBlount
01-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by tony hipchest

i cant imagine why Obama would skip out on such a ball of importance.

I can't figure it out either Tony, Obama has always come across to me as some who loves balls. :hunch:

TheSteelCurtain
01-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Not to mention, go to any search engine and type in obama and ball and you get 50 web pages running this story. Any they have some incredibly nasty completely unamerican and borderline treason things to say about it. The internet is a huge media outlet. Not to mention i already heard Sean Hanady and Anderson Cooper talk about it.

TheSteelCurtain
01-27-2009, 01:51 PM
I think we can all agree and especially our Republican Members that Obama is better at Image and Public Perception than anyone. i So for him to miss the ball he would have had to known what would be said and perceived. iI really do believe there was a outside reason. Maybee Not? Just my opinion.

The_WARDen
01-27-2009, 03:30 PM

hahahah...I just love all the whining now.

Bush got a free pass for a long time until people figured out that he is a clueless moron.

:laughing:

GBMelBlount
01-27-2009, 03:47 PM

Bush got a free pass for a long time until people figured out that he is a clueless moron.

LOL. Bush is much smarter than Obama. Higher IQ as well if I'm not mistaken. His economic plan made sense. Obama's shows that he is a clueless moron that doesn't even understand introductory economics. And he's getting a free pass right now..... not only on that, but his global warming scheme and infanticide are virtually under the radar. Plus his economic bailout / pork program is a total scam as well which I am sure you realize unless you don't understand economics......

Obamas approval rating has dropped 15% in one week. Apparently some people are realizing they actually still have to make their house and car payments and we aren't suddenly transformed to a utopian world as was expected by many of the ignorant masses..

tony hipchest
01-27-2009, 04:31 PM
LOL. Bush is much smarter than Obama. Higher IQ as well if I'm not mistaken.

Obamas approval rating has dropped 15% in one week. Apparently some people are realizing they actually still have to make their house and car payments and we aren't suddenly transformed to a utopian world as was expected by many of the ignorant masses..

duh. well, since today is the day foe wacky economical statements....

i have a feeling you subscribe to adam jones' economic theory of "make it rain" down economics.

its really quite brilliant. all the money rains down to the strippers, which in turn rains down to the heroin dealers, and then onto the terrorists.

anyways i think youre a fine example of someone who woulda still despised obama whether or not he showed up to the hero's ball.

GBMelBlount
01-27-2009, 05:03 PM
If you notice Tony, every time I have ever criticized Obama since day 1, I have given SPECIFIC reasons just as I did above. Reasons that can be disagreed with and are open to debate. I certainly can't say that for many of the liberals on SF.

Let me ask you Tony, do you have more faith in the government "spending" us out of recession or the private sector? and why?

Polamalu Princess
01-27-2009, 05:16 PM
:popcorn:And the drama starts yet again...:popcorn:

tony hipchest
01-27-2009, 05:27 PM
while the govt is pretty much designed to serve the public and states/country as a whole, the private sectors primary concern is personal wealth and padding ones own bank acct.

PisnNapalm
01-27-2009, 06:09 PM

Obama is in way over his head. Just give him time.... he'll flounder soon enough.

GBMelBlount
01-27-2009, 07:15 PM
while the govt is pretty much designed to serve the public and states/country as a whole, the private sectors primary concern is personal wealth and padding ones own bank acct.

At least they survive in a relatively free, fair and competitive marketplace and usually only succeed by offering a competitive product at a fair price despite the 2nd highest corporate tax rate in the world.

The government, on the other hand, is a monopoly, it has no competition and every product it offers is poor quality, over priced, over budget and never on time. Rather than competing they take our money at gunpoint and force their products down our throats. If they had to operate like a business, they would be out of business in no time.

The government is the largest and worst run business in the united states and yet you blindly support it because appear to be steeped in class envy.

Do you not agree that the way our government is run by taking trillions of our money and giving us terrible "products" in return with no accountability is sickening? They ruin everything they touch. We can go through this failed government program by failed government if you like. And yet you have the nerve to say the government is the best run business in the country. That's ridiculous.

tony hipchest
01-27-2009, 08:03 PM
And yet you have the nerve to say the government is the best run business in the country. That's ridiculous.

liar! i never said that.

your quest for anarchy and the destruction of the establishment is what is rediculous.

im almost embarrassed for you calling our military a piss poor product.

i guess someone in the private sector with a doctorates in economics such as yourself could assemble and deliver a much better military.

wheres the private sectors plan for educating every child in america? it is a law you know.

see, i gotta be wary of anybody who is as anti-establishment as you. we dont want this world to run amuck.

tony hipchest
01-27-2009, 08:10 PM
The 'trickle down' method isn't the problem. The problem is people and banks got greedy. I can tell you as a business owner that our employees have made more money then me and my partner. When times were good, we bought more trucks and expanded, providing more jobs. Hardly padding our bank acct.

Now we are laying off people left and right so we can scrape together money to pay taxes. If you guys knew all the taxes we had to pay, it would make your head spin.exactly! theres greed in politics and in the private sector, but atleast theres a system of checks and balances in the govt.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-27-2009, 09:42 PM
They also have no self control when it comes to your money and mine. I'll use NASA for an example.. I think overall the program is a good one. One day it could end up being what saves our species. BUT they should do it with a little self control. The tool bag that got lost in space had a scraper, a small bag (for the scrapings), and two grease guns. $100,000 of OUR money. I understand if there was a small robot in the bag or something, but not for a bag and grease guns.

Bottom line is the salesmen that sell those grease guns all throw money at the man in charge of spending. The company that throws the most wins the order despite the price of $45,000 a grease gun. He doesn't care, it's not his money. All he knows is that he just got a new fishing boat.

Ever read what they charge you for gloves, syringes, gauze, etc. for a surgery? It is just as bad.

tony hipchest
01-27-2009, 09:57 PM
They also have no self control when it comes to your money and mine. I'll use NASA for an example.. I think overall the program is a good one. One day it could end up being what saves our species. BUT they should do it with a little self control. The tool bag that got lost in space had a scraper, a small bag (for the scrapings), and two grease guns. $100,000 of OUR money. I understand if there was a small robot in the bag or something, but not for a bag and grease guns.

Bottom line is the salesmen that sell those grease guns all throw money at the man in charge of spending. The company that throws the most wins the order despite the price of $45,000 a grease gun. He doesn't care, it's not his money. All he knows is that he just got a new fishing boat.
perfect example of the private sector ass raping the govt.

how bout haliburton charging the govt something like 50 cent (exageration) per single serving package of mess hall ketchup when the war in iraq started? of course haliburton got many sweet contracts thanks to the cheney connection.

the difference is, we can vote cheney out of the govt, but we cant vote haliburton out of the economy. (i have no problem admitting greased palms reside on both sides).

augustashark
01-28-2009, 05:58 AM

Selected not elected???????????????????? Hmmmmmmmmmmm, seems like I heard that alot in 2000!

Wise up, there were many many people that tried to undercut Bush from day ONE!

Damn libs.

augustashark
01-28-2009, 06:07 AM
A ball is a dance. It had great american heroes that have done more for this country than I will probably ever do and he should have gone. it was a bad move he didnt go. If you read what i said earlier you would already know that.
But dont make one choice into a whole reason why he hates the armed forces that my friend is way way past ludicrous.
Maybee you should go back to the thread and look at pictures of him at the Commander and Chief Ball. A ball that is only for millitary, free admission and had the rest of the Medal of Honor Winners, Purple Heart Winner and many other American Heroes.

Maybee there was a bigger reason he didnt go you dont know and i dont know. All you can do is speculate.

.....And that is the problem, he has allowed the american people to SPECULATE. He does not have a track record to fall back on. If he were two years into his term and had never missed an important function like this then people would give him a pass. Grow up mr president and get your head into the most important game and it's not the economy.

GBMelBlount
01-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Tony Hipchest

liar! i never said that.

your quest for anarchy and the destruction of the establishment is what is rediculous.

You are a liar!

I never said or implied that.

A government is necessary imo and I’ve never said otherwise.

Tony hipchest

im almost embarrassed for you calling our military a piss poor product.

Our military is necessary. I don’t think it is a piss poor product, just way overpriced.

tony hipchest

i guess someone in the private sector with a doctorates in economics such as yourself could assemble and deliver a much better military.

You’re a liar!

I never said I had a doctorate. Only that I took an introductory course in economics which you of course you said you didn’t.

And for you to think I could assemble and deliver a better product than experts in that industry in the private sector, you are being ridiculous.

No, I couldn’t deliver a better military. I know nothing about it. ONLY the government thinks they can assemble and deliver competitive products at a competitive price in areas they know little or nothing about.....

That is my problem with the government. They are involved in and regulate all of these industries when the vast majority of them have little experience in the private sector or knowledge of the industries their legislation greatly affects.

tony hipchest

see, i gotta be wary of anybody who is as anti-establishment as you. we dont want this world to run amuck.

You're a liar! :chuckle:

I am not anti-establishment. Just that I don't like the government involved in too many things when there is little competition or accountability in anything they do.

LOL. Your comment above is something I would expect from a communist. That to question the governments size, efficiency, value and involvement in many areas is anti-establshment. That someone like me who feels that free markets and competition are better than too much government and regulation which is ruining our country, is anti-establishment. Government is necessary, it’s just that I am pro accountability for the government and believe that the private sector generally provides MUCH better products at a better price due to competition and that the government generally produces terrible products that are overpriced and forces me to work 5 months a year at gunpoint to pay for their largely failed social engineering experiments.

The reason our country became the greatest in the world is primarily because of capitalism, free markets and competition not a big bloated over regulating and over priced government and lack of competition which is now the primary cause of our decline imo.

RunWillieRun
01-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Apparently some people are realizing they actually still have to make their house and car payments .

Wait.

Wait.

Wait.

Now wait just a damn minute here! I actually have to PAY my mortgage and car payment now!?!?! But Lord Obama was going to fix everything for us peasant folk.

tony hipchest
01-28-2009, 09:51 AM
lol. lying about someones stance to prove a point is fun and somewhat effective.

we should do more of it! :cheers:

what you said is true as to what made us the greates country. of course carpe diem and manifest destiny also made us great.

if we didnt kick peoples ass and take their land we wouldnt have become so great.

things change. philosophies and policies change.

the question now is what will it take for us to REMAIN the greatest country in the world.

under our old policies and philosopies of the 1700-1800's we woulda slaughtered the iraquis and afghans and put them on reservations and enjoyed the spoils of their oil. you dont think that would get us out of this economic crunch?

my point is what may have worked to perfection in the past may not work in the future.

going down the road, we must steer this country by looking out the front window, not in the rearview mirror.

GBMelBlount
01-28-2009, 11:13 AM
lol. lying about someones stance to prove a point is fun and somewhat effective.

we should do more of it! :cheers:

what you said is true as to what made us the greates country. of course carpe diem and manifest destiny also made us great.

if we didnt kick peoples ass and take their land we wouldnt have become so great.

things change. philosophies and policies change.

the question now is what will it take for us to REMAIN the greatest country in the world.

under our old policies and philosopies of the 1700-1800's we woulda slaughtered the iraquis and afghans and put them on reservations and enjoyed the spoils of their oil. you dont think that would get us out of this economic crunch?

my point is what may have worked to perfection in the past may not work in the future.

going down the road, we must steer this country by looking out the front window, not in the rearview mirror.

I agree Tony. And I honestly thought you had made a statement about our government being the best run business a few months back. Needless to say after going cross eyed to find it I gave up. My bad. :chuckle:

Anyway, reviewing a lot of your old posts I did find a few posts that were pro small business and capitalism, it's just that I have to REALLY look to find those "non-commie" nuggets you "accidentally" drop along the way. :toofunny: :drink:

Leftoverhard
01-28-2009, 11:36 AM
Tony and GBMel are just a couple of liars!

Can't ...stop....laughing....

revefsreleets
01-28-2009, 11:44 AM
I LOVE it!

I point out the hypocrisy, the fact that Obama supporters cannot (and probably will not ever) say a single thing against "The One", and what is the response?

I'M attacked! It's so typical, so beautiful in it's absurdity. It's the apotheosis of killing the messenger.

But that's cool.

Like I said, I'm giving the guy some room to move. I like the fact that he's backpeddling on a lot of the utopian garbage he had to spew to get votes. He's now living in big boy world where there are real consequences to his actions, and we are literally seeing the dude grow up in front of us. His adoption of many Bush policies is a perfect example of him accepting that the real world is a nasty and evil place. I hope he continues to evolve and adapt and shift his policies, BUT I will also continue to point out when he does it. The response from the left is largely immaterial...

Polamalu Princess
01-28-2009, 11:46 AM
Tony and GBMel are just a couple of liars!

Can't ...stop....laughing....

They both sure provide a lot of entertainment here on the board.:tt02:

Leftoverhard
01-28-2009, 08:47 PM
They both sure provide a lot of entertainment here on the board.:tt02:

Definately - 1st or 2nd round draft picks both.

Stlrs4Life
01-31-2009, 10:00 PM
those words never came out of my mouth, im just presenting facts....facts never reported by the mainstream media....he was the first president not to honor the MOH recipients

Obama is the first president since Eisenhower to miss the American Legion's Salute to Heroes ball. A Legion spokesman says it "does not feel offended or 'snubbed,'" and Medal of Honor winners were invited to the Commander in Chief's ball, which Obama did attend.