PDA

View Full Version : Other Teams...

kittenfantastico76
01-27-2009, 08:50 AM
So I know we are all die hard fans of the Steelers, that's clear. But do any of you have a second team that you often think, they aren't so bad, I'd root for them say if they made it to the super bowl... or if you're like my boyfriend, he watches any and every football game, and usually roots for the underdog (unless they are playing Pittsburgh) I was just curious to see if we had any other die hards that would from time to time tip their hats to another team and say well played...

I myself grew up in a Washington Redskins household, my father was a huge fan but I think he became one once he moved to the DC area with my mom. They were both from PA. I think a few guys at work were fans is my guess or he want to a game many years ago - cheer for the home team is my guess.

That being said, I do like the Redskins - odd to say that for a team that has such crappy seasons but I do like them... Steelers fan first, but I'll root for the Redskins and I do like the Colts, but it's most due to Mr. Manning.

I used to think I could be supportive of the Ravens but that was long gone, a long time ago, after watching their behavior and the way they bash my favorite team of all time... no dice!

So tell me - do you have a 2nd or third fave?

Steelcitygal87
01-27-2009, 08:57 AM
I love football in general...so I will watch whatever game is on..

I have a second team that I absolutely LOVE....The Colts. I love how they play the game, the attitude of their players, and I highly respect and admire Tony Dungy.

Steelers #1, Colts #2.....for me

GO STEELERS!! :tt03::tt03:

HometownGal
01-27-2009, 09:06 AM
I am about as diehard Steelers as they come, but like SCG87, I am a huge fan of the game and watch NFL football whenever it is on. My family knows that on Sundays and Monday nights - don't look at me, don't talk to me, don't come over and don't call me - I'm zombied into my football! :tt02:

When Jim Kelly was QB'ing the Bills, they were my adopted "second team" but since he retired, I don't follow the Bills that much anymore. If the Cards weren't playing us in the SB, I'd be rooting for them, as I've always loved Kurt Warner and have developed a tremendous amount of respect for Fitz. Other than those 2 teams and for the reasons I've stated, it's PITTSBURGH STEELERS for me! :tt03:

stlrtruck
01-27-2009, 09:11 AM
I cheer for other teams based on the schedule or certain players/coaches but to be honest with you, if the Steelers don't win - it doesn't matter what the other teams do on gameday.

kittenfantastico76
01-27-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm happy to hear this - I was worried it might get a bad response, since we are all die hard fans :)

Steelcitygal87
01-27-2009, 09:17 AM
I am about as diehard Steelers as they come, but like SCG87, I am a huge fan of the game and watch NFL football whenever it is on. My family knows that on Sundays and Monday nights - don't look at me, don't talk to me, don't come over and don't call me - I'm zombied into my football! :tt02:

When Jim Kelly was QB'ing the Bills, they were my adopted "second team" but since he retired, I don't follow the Bills that much anymore. If the Cards weren't playing us in the SB, I'd be rooting for them, as I've always loved Kurt Warner and have developed a tremendous amount of respect for Fitz. Other than those 2 teams and for the reasons I've stated, it's PITTSBURGH STEELERS for me! :tt03:

"Sunday and Monday nights- don't look at me, don't talk to me, don't come over and don't call me :drink:" LOL...That sounds EXACTLY like me. My sister came over last Sunday(during the RATS game)...came into my bedroom...saw me sitting in front of my puter...tv TURNED UP FULL BLAST...watching my beloved Steelers...and she commented "Oh, nevermind, you're no good now " lol....Turned around and left the room ...she knows me SOOOOOOO WELL :tt03::tt03:

:hug:

Steelcitygal87
01-27-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm happy to hear this - I was worried it might get a bad response, since we are all die hard fans :)

Yeah, I could understand why you would think that way. I know a lot of fans are just fans of their team. I am a FOOTBALL fan, first and foremost..a real fan of the game. I have always loved watching it since I was little(my dad got me into it...one of the many things I love him for...he passed away in '87, a week before I graduated from high school). Anyways, I follow football from high school to the pros. It is such a GREAT game!

KeiselPower99
01-27-2009, 09:51 AM
I like certain players through out the league(Chad Pennington,Jeremy Shockey, A.J. Hawk) But its Steelers all the way for me. I guess if I had to say I had a second team it would be Caroina. Kevin Greene was my favorite player and when he went down there I kinda followed them for some time and occasionally still do. If they are on ill root for em. The Steelers are my wife and the Panthers are my mistress.

SteelCityKing
01-27-2009, 10:22 AM
i love rooting for Pennsylvania teams. so, i'm going with the Eagles. McNabb gets a bad rep and Andy Reid is a bit of a bum, but if the Steelers already played or they have their bye week, my attention is on the Eagles.

so, i have an AFC team and and NFC team to root for...and they are both from the Commonwealth. =)

kittenfantastico76
01-27-2009, 10:28 AM
I like certain players through out the league(Chad Pennington,Jeremy Shockey, A.J. Hawk) But its Steelers all the way for me. I guess if I had to say I had a second team it would be Caroina. Kevin Greene was my favorite player and when he went down there I kinda followed them for some time and occasionally still do. If they are on ill root for em. The Steelers are my wife and the Panthers are my mistress.

:chuckle: That's a great way to think about it! I sort of pick some of the teams I like and dislike based on players... I am not a fan of the Cowboys at ALL - most of that comes from the Redskins household, and the fans I know that root for them, but it boils down to the players the most... I can't stand T.O. - take me back to the years of Emmitt and Troy its a bit of a different story... but I still wasn't a fan.

SteelCityKing
01-27-2009, 10:34 AM
i HATE the Cowboys and most of all, i hate Cowboys fans. they are whiny assfaces with a nice chip on their shoulder all year around because they think that since they root for "America's Team" that they are better than everyone else.

granted, i KNOW we are better than everyone else...but atleast i'm not a snob about it like Cowboys fans. haha!

XxKnightxX
01-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Since Im from Jersey, I rooted for the Giants last season when the Steelers got eliminated. Ive met with a lot of Giants players and even had Steve Smith go to my barber shops a couple of times, and what do you know, Eli lives in Hoboken, where the biggest steelers Bar in the Tri State area is located hahaha. Anyway I root for the Giants but I sure as hell didnt root for them when we played each other and when they lost I got a lot of crap but they saw my glare at them and they knew better lol.

vasteeler
01-27-2009, 11:58 AM
beleive it or not for me its the browns
i just dont want them to win any games

kittenfantastico76
01-27-2009, 12:17 PM
i love rooting for Pennsylvania teams. so, i'm going with the Eagles. McNabb gets a bad rep and Andy Reid is a bit of a bum, but if the Steelers already played or they have their bye week, my attention is on the Eagles.

so, i have an AFC team and and NFC team to root for...and they are both from the Commonwealth. =)

You know I truly wanted to see a battle for the state in this Super Bowl!

kittenfantastico76
01-27-2009, 12:30 PM
i HATE the Cowboys and most of all, i hate Cowboys fans. they are whiny assfaces with a nice chip on their shoulder all year around because they think that since they root for "America's Team" that they are better than everyone else.

granted, i KNOW we are better than everyone else...but atleast i'm not a snob about it like Cowboys fans. haha!

The first line of this can be said equally for the Ravens and their fans as well! (And I can say that since I'm from Maryland) :wink:

ShutDown24
01-27-2009, 01:10 PM
I'm only a "fan" of the Steelers but I watch every game I can pretty much.

I don't have a second team really, but I do have certain players I pull for because I think they're good guys or I watched them in college, etc...

Whenever I watch another game that isn't of the Steelers, I generally watch it more as if it were tape than anything. I pay attention to individual players and matchups - not the ball. It's a good way to really see how good some guys are. Some guys that have just amazed me that many people don't talk about over the last couple of years are Jabar Gaffney (WR Pats), Justin Griffith (FB Raiders), Antoine Winfield (CB Vikes), Mike Karney (FB Saints), Michael Lewis (SS 9ers) just to name a few. Those guys just do their jobs week in and week out and never get much credit for it. So I'm followers of guys like that, I like Warner and a few other players with good values who are good people too. And I also like to follow most of the rookies the year they come out because I'm so big into the draft.

So yeah, lol - I guess I do have guys that I pull for subsequently making me pull for their teams. But it's not like I have a "second" team though - I simply enjoy football.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-27-2009, 01:12 PM
For me it's more if I have a favorite non-Steeler player on a team, I'll root for them. Or if I have a deep respect for a team like the Packers or Bears.

I'm likley to root for the team with a former Buckeye on it and hell, even most ex-Big 10 players.

But as for a second team, I have only 1 team, and that is the Pittsburgh Steelers.

But honestly, if the Steelers were not in this Super Bowl, I would probally break out my old U of Pitt Fitzgerald jersey.

tattooboyzgirl
01-27-2009, 06:07 PM
I root for the San Francisco 49ers because my boyfriend loves them as much as I love the Steelers. But when it comes time for the Steelers too play the niners.......we go at it like cats and dogs!!! IT'S WAR!!!!! :laughing:

I always like too rattle his chain and tell him WE are going too be the first team with 6 superbowl wins... not his!!!!!!!

Steeler in Carolina
01-27-2009, 07:10 PM
I root for the Steelers and that is it. I don't have a second team. I will watch any NFL game that is one and based on who I wagered on, that's who I will cheer for, but only the Steelers make or break my weekend.

steelersfanman92
01-27-2009, 07:21 PM
My second team is the Cardinals, I have always liked them but once they got Fitzgerald that is when they became my 2nd, I always rooted for them because they never won and I thought they needed all the support they could get.

This was my ideal superbowl this year so I am very happy

PAMillerGrrl83
01-27-2009, 11:13 PM
I love football in general...so I will watch whatever game is on..

I have a second team that I absolutely LOVE....The Colts. I love how they play the game, the attitude of their players, and I highly respect and admire Tony Dungy.

Steelers #1, Colts #2.....for me

I'm with ya on this one. I love Dallas Clark, he's an awesome guy on and off the field, super sweet and super humble.

steelreserve
01-27-2009, 11:34 PM
My other team is definitely the 49ers. My family moved to SF in the early '80s and it was just a ton of fun watching them. Not to mention they're the local team here. It's a shame they suck so bad lately.

The_WARDen
01-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Favorite Teams:

1. Pittsburgh
2. Whoever plays the Ravens.
3. Whoever plays the Clowns.
4. Whoever plays the Cowgirls.
5. Whoever plays the Cheatriots.
6. Whoever plays the Bungles.

SteelMember
01-28-2009, 12:23 PM
Favorite Teams:

1. Pittsburgh

That is exactly my list. :tt03:

MDSteel15
01-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Favorite Teams:

1. Pittsburgh

LMAO!!!

MDSteel15
01-28-2009, 12:40 PM
I've been a die-hard fan always and forever! BUT, I have a weekness for teams that play defense and try to cram the ball down your throat, so I root for the Tampa Bay Bucs when they aren't playing us....... :drink:

Muppet13
01-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Favorite Teams:

1. Pittsburgh

I totally agree with this. Except sometimes I cheer for the colts because my boy friend is a colts fan (except when they play the Steelers of course). He is also a bungals fan, but I would die from lack of excitement if I cheered for them.:helmet::helmet::helmet:

The Duke
01-28-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm a steelers fan first, NFL fan second. so there are a few players I root for, and at times for their team

While favre was a packer I used to always root for him. After he became jet I couldn't care less about rooting for him and the jets, maybe because I've always hated them though, lol

But all those years of watching packers games made me still root for them at times

Same thing for Julius peppers. Wherever he goes I'll probably cheer for him too

beSteelmyheart
01-28-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm in Florida so lately I've been keeping track of the Buccaneers & lately the Dolphins because Joey Porter is there-it was good to see them do so well last year. Would I travel 3 hours to go to one of their games? Only if the Steelers are in town!
My fiancee is a big Browns fan so sometimes I hope they do well, cant say I cheer for them, I mainly just feel bad for my fiancee!

wardislord
01-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Favorite Teams:

1. Pittsburgh

DITTO, and I root for the Bucs in the NFC...my boyfriend's favorite team.

steelergirl07
01-29-2009, 01:26 AM
Vikings because it's my husbands team.
Packers because it's my moms team.
And I know i'm going to get crap for this, but the Cowboys because it was my grandpa's team.

jjpro11
01-29-2009, 01:37 AM
i have been rooting for porter ever since he left. it was cool to see him on a winner again and doing so well. now, in a way, we get to see him reunited with farrior and harrison in the pro bowl. i hope they put those 3 out there by themselves at some point in the game.

Galax Steeler
01-29-2009, 04:50 AM
I kinda like the Chiefs but I will always be a diehard Steeler fan.

xfl2001fan
01-29-2009, 11:01 AM
It's obvious that the Steelers aren't my team...however, I'm a fan of the NFL in general. I love watching various players as well.

My #2 team is the Carolina Panthers. They were a new team when my old team went away.

I'm a huge fan of various players, but most of them are receivers.

Fitzgerald and Wes Welker quietly go about their business. Despite being a Steeler, Hines Ward is pretty much the epitome of a true football player...especially with his blocking. Yes, it really does hurt to say it.

For defensive players, I like watching guys like Troy-P and Bob Sanders, because they can cover, but hit like freight trains. If a defensive player can't hit/tackle, he's useless.

I enjoyed watching Shaun Rogers play this year, because he was relentless all season long. Even if he wasn't playing for the Browns, he would have been fun to watch.

I pretty much root for all Buckeye's as well as WVU Mountaineers and even try to follow other fellow Big-10 players

For QB's, I enjoy Peyton Manning. I think he's intelligent and his commercials are actually kind of funny. I hate watching Big Ben play, but he's a tough QB who has managed to pull some crazy crap out of his arse. He's earned my (grudgingly) respect and his (grudginly and IMO) earned his way into elite status as a QB.

Underdogs like Purdue product Drew Brees get my attention as well. It's not so much that I like the guy, but I like the story of hearing how a guy is too small to play, or something along those lines...then watching them succeed.

Steelersfanforlife
02-04-2009, 09:46 PM
well if the Steelers aren't in the Superbowl, i will root for the AFC team unless they are the Patriots