PDA

View Full Version : Your Pick for Potential 'Surprise' MVP

SteelStang
01-27-2009, 10:24 AM
We have seen the Super Bowl often become a game where one or two plays makes a guy a household name. Think Timmy Smith, Larry Brown(gulp!), Chuck Howley for example. I was thinking about what Steelers' could have this type of impact and came up with a couple of of different players.

1. Timmons- He has been all over the field in the 2 playoff games nearly making some spectacular plays. Could this be the one?

2. Miller- Very possible because of the attention paid to Holmes and Ward.

3. Washington-Call it a hunch, but I have a feeling he is going to have one of those games where catches 4 balls for 140 yards and a touch.
Thoughts?

SteelCityKing
01-27-2009, 10:27 AM
a surprise MVP...hmmmm...

Holmes - he'll make a few catches, but they'll be BIG catches and game changers.

Clark - he migh have a pick, but he'll be a big hitter and a few hits for loss of yard or breaking up plays.

Harrison - big sacks and big losses of yards in the clutch.

but i wouldn't be surprised if it went to Roethlisberger....just based on principle.

7SteelGal43
01-27-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say keep your eye in Limas Sweed.

Steelcitygal87
01-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Heath Miller:tt03:

SteelCityKing
01-27-2009, 10:32 AM

that would be a HUGE surprise!

that's almost as big of a surprise as Mendenhall winning MVP!

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-27-2009, 10:38 AM
I think it is going to be Ben...but my surprise pick will be Farrior

SC Steeler Steve
01-27-2009, 10:45 AM
Well I am going to say for my BIG SURPRISE, my #1 pick, that I can see this guy pulling off a couple big plays and making an impact. But I am gonna give 3 possibilities in my mind.

1. LIMAS SWEED (just sayin it would certainly be a Larry Brown :puke:type surprise.... but)
2. Ike Taylor (making some biggies against Fitz)
3. Willie Parker (Just blowing the Cards D up and completely controling the clock :tt03:)

I dont think guys like Polamalu, Roethlisberger, Ward, or even Holmes would be what I would call BIG SURPRISES. Although I would put my boy Heath Miller in that category, but wouldnt be real surprised with Miller.

steelpride12
01-27-2009, 10:46 AM
I feel Miller can be the key to the game. he is the TE who will be overlooked in the Cards practices, and when he gets hot recieving, he comes up big on every play either blocking or catching.

Indo
01-27-2009, 10:46 AM

I have to agree

I think Sweed is pissed off (go ask Corey Ivy!) and due for a break-out game

I just got a feelin' about The Sweed!

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Well I am going to say for my BIG SURPRISE, my #1 pick, that I can see this guy pulling off a couple big plays and making an impact. But I am gonna give 3 possibilities in my mind.

1. LIMAS SWEED (just sayin it would certainly be a Larry Brown :puke:type surprise.... but)
2. Ike Taylor (making some biggies against Fitz)
3. willie Parker (Just blowing the Cards D up and completely controling the clock :tt03

Great picks....(could you turn your bold off please...it burns out my retinas)

SC Steeler Steve
01-27-2009, 10:48 AM

Makes sense, good choice

memphissteelergirl
01-27-2009, 10:50 AM
The smart money goes to either Ben or Troy if they have the kind of games they are capable of

But my surprise picks would be Miller or Harrison.

SC Steeler Steve
01-27-2009, 10:52 AM

Makes sense, good pick.

Are you serious about the bold? :drink::wave:

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-27-2009, 10:52 AM
The smart money goes to either Ben or Troy if they have the kind of games they are capable of

But my surprise picks would be Miller or Harrison.

I had thought Harrison also...but was on the bubble as to whether that was a surprise pick or not since he was the defensive player of the year....either way, he is a good possibility

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Makes sense, good pick.

Are you serious about the bold?

Not pissed or anything....it just makes it look as if your shouting....much easier to read when the whole thing isnt bold...its all good:thumbsup:

steelerdave1969
01-27-2009, 10:56 AM
For me if the Steelers are going to beat these high flyin' Cardinals the Steelers must run the football well and keep that offense off the field. That being said, my suprise MVP might not even be a suprise to some of us that didnt call for Willie Parkers job earlier in the season.

Yep Willie Parker Super Bowl XLIII MVP with 139 yards and 2 TD's.

:tt02:

SC Steeler Steve
01-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Not pissed or anything....it just makes it look as if your shouting....much easier to read when the whole thing isnt bold...its all good:thumbsup:

Hmmmmmmm, never consider the shouting thing. It is just something I have always done on message boards. Guess just my way of being different and trying to stand out. I will certainly take that into consideration. :hatsoff::tt03:

PoundinSteel
01-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Woodley...2 sacks and a game changing INT, while the Cards worry about Harrison.

01-27-2009, 11:04 AM
How about Aaron Smith. The Cards will keep extra blockers in to try to contain Harrison, and Woodley from the edges, and the best 3-4 DE in the history of the NFL will have a monster game (three sacks, four hurries, and a tip ball resulting in an Int.), and finally get his due for the player he has been his entire career.

lamberts-lost-tooth
01-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Hmmmmmmm, never consider the shouting thing. It is just something I have always done on message boards. Guess just my way of being different and trying to stand out. I will certainly take that into consideration. :hatsoff::tt03:

Appreciate your posts....your knowledge and love of our beloved Steelers is enough to make you stand out, brother!

TheSteelCurtain
01-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Well im not gonna pick someone that you guys already did so here it goes.

Matt Spaeth.

SC Steeler Steve
01-27-2009, 11:09 AM
DAMN I LOVE THE STEELERS!!!

Now I am shouting LOL... :applaudit::rofl:

NEPAsteeler
01-27-2009, 11:11 AM
My top 3 choices would be...

1. Heath Miller... I agree with the fact that Ward and Holmes will probably have extra attention being payed to them, so he'll have a big game.

2. Limas Sweed... I have a feeling he's just ITCHING to redeem himself. :flap:

3. Willie Parker... We've already seen what kind of plays he can rip off in the Super Bowl.

KeiselPower99
01-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Im gonna go with either Willie or Ben.

BlastFurnace
01-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Limas Sweed will step up this game.

BlastFurnace
01-27-2009, 11:17 AM
I will give Colon the MVP if he can manage one game without a False Start

vasteeler
01-27-2009, 11:19 AM
just curious as to why every one thiks sweed will stand out:noidea:

SteelMember
01-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Surprise? :scratchchin:

Mitch Berger. :chuckle:

but honestly...
Santonio Holmes.

I think he will make some BIG plays on offense and special teams.

My gut wants to say Troy, especially after the last game, but it will need to be a carbon copy of that effort for them to give it to a defensive player.

TheSteelCurtain
01-27-2009, 11:25 AM
just curious as to why every one thiks sweed will stand out:noidea:

He is gonna get a lot of Matchups on Linebackers which they really dont have and 3rd and 4th Corners in a nickel and dime. Eric Green and some other bum Sweed is Big and Fast and Has a great first move. Not to mention he has something to prove. Last week after the drop he was 2-2 with 2 big first down catches and he almost killed a guy.
Limas Sweed is Hines Ward's special project and I can gurantee Hines will have him ready. If there is one player the cardinals are going to underestimate or forget about its gonna be Limas.

PGH_Futbol
01-27-2009, 11:32 AM
Ben. 285, 3 TDs (1 rushing), 0 INTs, 28 yds on the ground.

It's a surprise b/c of his 9 for 21 performance and the 2 INTs (1 returned 900 yards) back in XL.

Indo
01-27-2009, 11:32 AM
He is gonna get a lot of Matchups on Linebackers which they really dont have and 3rd and 4th Corners in a nickel and dime. Eric Green and some other bum Sweed is Big and Fast and Has a great first move. Not to mention he has something to prove. Last week after the drop he was 2-2 with 2 big first down catches and he almost killed a guy.
Limas Sweed is Hines Ward's special project and I can gurantee Hines will have him ready. If there is one player the cardinals are going to underestimate or forget about its gonna be Limas.

:cooldude: What he said...

Sweed has the Rookie-jitters
Hines will have him ready

devilsdancefloor
01-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Larry Foote i think he is getting lost in the shuffle and he has played very well IMHO.
But i really honestly do not care who gets what as long as The steelers bring home a W. :tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

TheSteelCurtain
01-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Jeff Reed baby

Steelcitygal87
01-27-2009, 11:43 AM

Or a holding call :doh: .

PLEASE Willie...we are BEGGING YOU(for the love of all that's cream-filled)....NO PENALTIES..

GO STEELERS! :tt03:

MACH1
01-27-2009, 11:47 AM
SWEEEEEEEED. :chuckle:

ayyfour
01-27-2009, 12:02 PM
nate washington

The Duke
01-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Ike

shutting down Fitz earns you MVP honor

RoethlisBURGHer
01-27-2009, 12:53 PM
I think it would be a surprise for any defensive player to get the MVP. The last one to do it was Dexter Jackson of the Buccaneers.

Dexter Jackson, FS Buccaneers - XXXVII
Tom Brady, QB Patriots* - XXXVIII
Deion Branch, WR Patriots* - XXXIX
Hines Ward, WR Steelers - XL
Peyton Manning, QB Colts - XLI
Eli Manning, QB Giants - XLII

The Super Bowl MVP has become just like the league MVP, almost impossible for a defensive player to win the award. You'd have to have the absolute game of you're life on defense to win it.

But if there ever was a year to do it, it would be this year, as long as the Steelers win (whch they will). Ben's still got that "game manager" stigma so unless he goes like 27-31 for 324 yards and at least 2 TD's I can't see him winning, other than a game winning drive at the end of the game.

This team's been carried by it's defense with the offense chipping in just enough to win almost all year. If that happens again, we will see a defensive player win MVP.

MDSteel15
01-27-2009, 01:01 PM
If it isn't Willie I am going to say we are going to see Co-MVPs with LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison!!! :tt03:

SteelersinCA
01-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Sweed.

stlrtruck
01-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Surprise MVPs

1) Limas Sweed does his best Lynn Swann impersonation

2) Townsend ends up with 2 sacks, 1 FR, 2 INT (one to end the game), 1 TD

3) Holmes has the break out game of his life including 12 catches, 159 yards, 3 TDs

stillers4me
01-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Mitch Berger.
No that would really be a surprise.

stillers4me
01-27-2009, 01:28 PM

tyler289
01-27-2009, 01:37 PM
Anthony Smith.

Not only does he dress, but he plays special teams AND replaces an injured Clark. He makes 5 ST tackles, 8 other tackles, picks off 2 passes, and forces a fumble of Fitz.

THAT would be a surprise.

Steelcitygal87
01-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Anthony Smith.

Not only does he dress, but he plays special teams AND replaces an injured Clark. He makes 5 ST tackles, 8 other tackles, picks off 2 passes, and forces a fumble of Fitz.

THAT would be a surprise.

Yes, that would be a surprise, as would him keeping his mouth shut all this week lol.

GO STEELERS!! :tt03:

Rick5895
01-27-2009, 01:45 PM
I will pick a surprise from the O and the D. If you watched the media day today, Santo suggested it would be Woodley. I can see Woodley have a monster game getting 3 or 4 sacks and a FF.
On the O I think like most others that it could very well be Sweed. I can see Sweed getting deep for a couple of TD's and maybe 140-150 yards.

fdp
01-27-2009, 02:07 PM
either Keisel or Aaron Smith, both of them deserve to get some love, Keisel had some key plays in Super Bowl XL and I can see that happening again

Steelcitygal87
01-27-2009, 02:11 PM
either Keisel or Aaron Smith, both of them deserve to get some love, Keisel had some key plays in Super Bowl XL and I can see that happening again

GOOD point. Keisel, I think it was against the Chargers or the RATS, played a GREAT game. Never hear too much about him...kind of gets overshadowed by all the talk of Harrison, Woodley and Troy.....as does Aaron Smith.

Acerero'1972
01-27-2009, 02:13 PM
1.- Miller
2.- Woodley
3.- Reed

Steelerssuperbowlsbound
01-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Here is a poll on nfl.com on it The choices are...

Roethlisberger

Parker

Fitzgerald

Warner

Somebody else

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-27-2009, 02:46 PM

If Limas play I expect him to have a big day.... The kid runs great routes and get open.... just has a problem catching it....lol............ But he has something to prove and should match up well with one of the weaker CBs covering him

7SteelGal43
01-27-2009, 02:50 PM

amen :drink:

rich4eagle
01-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Nice thread MVP lets go for Santanio Holmes

scsteeler
01-27-2009, 03:44 PM

I was thinking the same thing. If Hines is not 100% Sweed could play a big part in this game and no doubt Heath Miller will be one for the Suprise MVP. But I think because they have made this game our Defense against their offense the MVP will come from the Defense that is based on us winning the game.

stillers4me
01-27-2009, 03:56 PM
While I would love to see Lima Bean have a big game, I would rather he stayed off the field until next year.

He can "break out" next year. This game is way too big for him.

Pentheon
01-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Im gonna say Ward again since Im biased and hes my favorite player..

If not him then Im goin with TP THEN Big Ben:noidea:

Pentheon
01-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Oh...forgot a surprise pick :flap:

Ima have to say Holmes.

I wanna say harrison but its gonna be a little harder for a linebacker to get mvp if you ask me.. unless he has a game like he did against baltimore on that monday night game it would be an easy call.

edit: Just realized the whole thread was about picking a surprise mvp haha..oh well

CPanther95
01-27-2009, 04:32 PM
I say Woodley - but that will really only be a surprise to those that haven't closely followed the Steelers.

IAWarnerFan
01-27-2009, 04:49 PM
Kurt Warner! :flap:
I thought Fitz would be a lock! :noidea:

OX1947
01-27-2009, 04:54 PM
This is Big Ben's to lose. This is his redemption game. If he plays well, this game is a blow out.

steelersfanman92
01-27-2009, 04:57 PM
I think that Washington can get it but if any surprise player I think that it would go to Heath Miller he should have a lot of open routes between the LB and Safety and I dont think that any of the Cards LB will be able to cover him

Steelcitygal87
01-27-2009, 05:02 PM
I think that Washington can get it but if any surprise player I think that it would go to Heath Miller he should have a lot of open routes between the LB and Safety and I dont think that any of the Cards LB will be able to cover him

I picked Heath Miller for the very reason you stated. :tt03::tt03:

7/39/43
01-27-2009, 05:41 PM
Limas Sweed
or
Speath

tony hipchest
01-27-2009, 06:37 PM
this is all assuming the steelers win.

i would say the real "suprise MVP would be edgerrin james.

stillers4me
01-27-2009, 06:41 PM
this is all assuming the steelers win.

:yikes:

Bite thy tongue!

SC Steeler Steve
01-27-2009, 06:49 PM

Yes this would be an absolute shock, considering AZ. would have to win. :bringit:

Polamalu Princess
01-27-2009, 06:52 PM
I have to say it is going to be my man Troy!!:tt03:

JPSEMP
01-27-2009, 07:02 PM
I can see them wanting to give it to the offensive line. Steelers rush for 165 yds in this game. Since they can't do that Woodley gets it for his two sacks and forced fumble.

Avoid LLoyd1975
01-27-2009, 07:04 PM
I am going with Willie. He has been lights out this post season and appears to finally be on track at the right time.

Steeler in Carolina
01-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Aaron Smith with 4 sacks 10 tackles and a forced fumble.

HometownGal
01-27-2009, 07:08 PM
I think Nate is going to have a really good game! :thumbsup:

Potsie has had such a great season and I see that continuing on Sunday night. 99% of the time, an offensive player is chosen as the MVP, so I'm going to say if the Steelers win, it will probably be Ben or FWP.

Preacher
01-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Jeff Reed baby
:buttkick:

THere is NO WAY I want this game NEARLY close enough, or the offense not scoring enough, that Jeff Reed has to even be CONSIDERED as a MVP, unless he comes in and plays a different position.

:chuckle:

BTW, thanks for taking the bold off.. it makes it much better to read, and doesn't look like your shouting.

SteelCurtainII
01-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Limas Sweed- Wants to prove his worth to the team with a few long catches and important third down receptions

Ike Taylor- An Int. or two on Warners long hopeful passes to Fitzgerald

Lamarr Woodley- They can't stop both Harrison and Woodley and I feel they are going to pay more attention to the Defensive Player of The Year. 2 or 3 sacks and a few TFL's could win him an MVP maybe

KeiselPower99
01-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Aaron Smith with 4 sacks 10 tackles and a forced fumble.

I think everyone would be excited for him and his family if he had a game like that and was named MVP.

steelreserve
01-27-2009, 11:25 PM
That's a tough one. The only one who would "surprise" me and has a legitimate chance of getting it is Parker.

I'm reluctant to say Miller or Holmes, because if a receiver has a lot of yards and/or multiple TDs, they usually just give the MVP to the quarterback because he had a good game too. I think it's extremely unlikely for any of our receivers to win it unless it's almost an exact repeat of the Seahawks game.

They also almost never give it to a defensive player unless he's the marquee player on the league's top-ranked defense, or has multiple interceptions through crap-ass luck. So there it looks like Harrison, Troy or nothing. Which I wouldn't call a surprise.

BehindSteelCurtain
01-28-2009, 12:36 AM
I think it will be Washington. I just have a weird feeling.

Steelers & I
01-28-2009, 12:47 AM
Here you go, the MVP of Super Bowl 43 will be

Mewelde Moore

VegasStlrFan
01-28-2009, 01:01 AM
To be a true surprise, he can't be a well known player. Nobody on the Steelers D is truly unknown this year and I wouldn't be surprised by any starting backs & recievers on the O, not even Nate.

That leaves the wildcard SWEED. He has the oppurtunity to shock the world by simply doing what he was paid to do. Hes proven he can get open and now all he has to do is CATCH THE BALL!!! He can redeem all his drops in one game. I'm sure Tomlins heart to heart on the sidelines in the AFCCG was a motivator, ask Ivy. I hope he has a breakout game!

My top 3 likely candidates in order IMO: Ben, Willie, Troy.

Galax Steeler
01-28-2009, 04:44 AM
I am going to say Woodley I have a feeling about this game he will be on the quarterback all game long.