PDA

View Full Version : browns gm, phil savage, to be fired

tony hipchest
12-30-2005, 03:56 PM
as soon as today. while this is an unconfirmed report on sirius radio they were speculating that there must be more to the story because it was his 1st year and he was highly regarded coming in. i bet there was tension between him and crennell.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-30-2005, 03:58 PM
Heard this on ESPN radio this afternoon on the Dan patrick show as well.

Prosdo
12-30-2005, 04:00 PM
Should be interesting to hear why. I'm going with your theory as well Tony.

tony hipchest
12-30-2005, 04:13 PM
the losing cant be a reason because he inherited a mess. they got rid of 28 people from last years roster. had a pretty good draft.

maybe they want to hire that steelers waterboy they had their eyes on for several years.

Stlrs4Life
12-30-2005, 04:23 PM
Very interesting story, and move by the Browns. There is alot more to this storty than anybody is bieng told.

Here's more:
What happened? I thought Romeo and Phil were the new Belichick and Pioli.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2275447

Sources: Browns ready to fire GM Savage

The Cleveland Browns plan to fire senior vice president and general manager Phil Savage, NFL sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Friday.

The split is over "philosophical differences," primarily salary cap management. The announcement could come as early as Friday, Mortensen reported. Savage could not be reached for comment.

Atlanta Falcons chief administration officer Ray Anderson is a candidate to replace Savage, who joined the Browns on Jan. 6.

The Browns, who are 5-10 in coach Romeo Crennel's first season in Cleveland, play Baltimore on Sunday.

Savage spent the past nine seasons with the Baltimore Ravens organization, including 2003-04 as the Ravens' director of player personnel. He is known as one of the NFL's top talent evaluators.

In Baltimore, the 14-year veteran of the league, worked directly with general manager Ozzie Newsome to oversee college and pro scouting. While there, Savage was involved in many of the day-to-day operations of the team and also negotiated contracts of late-round draft picks.

tony hipchest
12-30-2005, 04:29 PM
philosophical differences over salary cap management? hmmmm......
like pissing away millions of dollars for a bust of a t.e. who he didnt even draft. i wonder who was responsible for giving denver a defensive line? someones gotta be pissed about that. the beatdown by the steelers last week must have been a catalyst for this potential move. that is great!

SteelCityMan786
12-30-2005, 04:44 PM
I am not surprised the Clowns aren't succesful. Got to get rid of the parts that might be holding you back the clowns were being held back. Even though the next guy might not be any better.

Ambridge
12-30-2005, 04:47 PM
More kaos in Cleveland.....you just have to love it.
Getting out of Browntown could be a blessing in diguise for Savage.

Brady12
12-30-2005, 05:47 PM
lol... WHAT A SHOCK! Considering what he has done for this franchise, why would they fire him!? Oh! Wait, this franchise has a losing record... I was thinking of another team, sorry.

SteelCityMan786
12-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Savage got a blessing leaving town was good for him. The Clowns will go in to deeper chaos.

Stlrs4Life
12-30-2005, 10:57 PM
Maybe this clears the way for Detroit to hire Savage after they fire Millen? I would like to see what the Shit Ball fans are saying, but I am banned from Dawg Talk MB.

CantStop85
12-30-2005, 11:00 PM
If you haven't already heard, the rumors are being denied by the browns organization.

Stlrs4Life
12-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Found this out at www.clevelandbrowns.com

Browns respond to Savage rumors
December 30, 2005

In response to rumors that were widely circulated today, the Cleveland Browns wish to reiterate that Phil Savage is and will continue to be our senior vice president and general manager.

?Although it is our policy not to respond to rumors, in fairness to our fans, we felt it necessary to dispel them,? Browns president and chief executive officer John Collins said. ?It was unfortunate and very unfair to the organization and especially to our fans, but we are happy to put this behind us and focus on our game this Sunday and the busy offseason ahead.

?Together, we are going to continue to do whatever is necessary to reestablish the Browns as one of the premiere franchises in all of sports.?

Suitanim
12-31-2005, 07:26 AM
They are vehemently denying it...although the rumors are that they are (get this) unhappy with Savage because he spends too much time scouting, and not enough time in the office. Unbelievable cluster f### going on in that organization!