PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin has faced K. Warner before

tony hipchest
01-28-2009, 12:11 AM
i was trying to think of all the past times a tomlin or lebeau coached team has done when facing the brutal passing attack of kurt.

of course theres last year.

then theres the year the rams were the greatest show on turf. i think this was the year before tomlin was a 1st year db coach in tampa bay.

rams 11- tb 6

warner- 26 completions, 43 attempts, 258 yds, 1td, 3int
faulk- 17 rush, 44 yds

2001 (tomlins 1st year?)

tb- 24 rams-17

warner- 19comp 39att 291yds 1td 2int

tb 26- rams 14

warner- 30comp 45att 301yds 0td 4int

and i think that is it.

tomlin has faced warner as an assistant more than lebeau and his secondary has been pretty successful against him and the "greatest show on turf".

food for thought at a time when everyone suggests warner w/o a m. faulk type runner will have his way with the steelers.

drizze99
01-28-2009, 12:18 AM
good post. I am so tired of hearing that Warner is going to torch us....

IAWarnerFan
01-28-2009, 12:27 AM
Totally different teams and situation.

drizze99
01-28-2009, 12:30 AM
true but game planning is similar.

tony hipchest
01-28-2009, 12:31 AM
of course, lebeau is the mastermind and has incorporated some cover-2 in his schemes, but tomlin brings a wealth of studying time and game notes (experience) to this match-up.

at times when warner was atop of the world and looked unstoppable, the bucs were the 1 team able to consistantly shut him down.

it may not be because of tomlin, but looking at the td/int ratio definitely suggests he brings something to the table.

tony hipchest
01-28-2009, 12:34 AM
Totally different teams and situation.same qb.

the steelers arent stepping into an unknown in regards to warner.

plus those rams were the best offense in the league with marshall faulk. faulk was shut down.

bruce/holt back then = boldin/fitz today.

steelers defense of today is better than the bucs defense back then.

steelers offense of today is better than the bucs offense back then.

tomlin knows how to defend warner. the proof is in the pudding.

IAWarnerFan
01-28-2009, 12:40 AM
same qb.

the steelers arent stepping into an unknown in regards to warner.
And we know all about your defense as well. The Bucs had a bit better shot of catching the Rams off guard.

plus those rams were the best offense in the league with marshall faulk. faulk was shut down.

bruce/holt back then = boldin/fitz/breaston today.
FTFY I'd rather have Boldin/Fitz/Breaston.

steelers defense of today is better than the bucs defense back then.

steelers offense of today is better than the bucs offense back then.

tomlin knows how to defend warner. the proof is in the pudding.
Very possible, very possible. Knowing how to is one thing, executing is the other. May very well happen the way you are thinking, but that's why they play the game. :noidea:

SteelersinCA
01-28-2009, 12:45 AM

Why do you guys keep pumping up Breaston?? The guy just isn't that good. You act like he's Wes Welker or something.

IAWarnerFan
01-28-2009, 12:48 AM
Why do you guys keep pumping up Breaston?? The guy just isn't that good. You act like he's Wes Welker or something.

He broke 1000 yards and you say "the guy just isn't that good?" :noidea:

TampaSteelerFan
01-28-2009, 12:56 AM
What those Bucs teams and the Steelers have in common against Warner is that both of those teams focus heavily, first and foremost, on putting pressure on the quarterback! Yep, get to Warner with enough speed and pressure by the front 7, and his offense can't do anything consistantly.

Oh, and then there is the hall of fame safety-led (John Lynch and Troy Polamalu), turnover creating defensive backfields on both of those teams!

Bottom line is, Warner hates defenses like ours!!! :tt03:

VegasStlrFan
01-28-2009, 01:13 AM
Thats a good post. Honestly I think the Steelers D shut down the Cards O or at a minimum cancel each other out.

The big question in my opinion isn't how the teams strength match up, its the Steelers O vs the Cards D. I think that will determine this game. I think the odds are in the Steelers favor there.

tony hipchest
01-28-2009, 01:14 AM

:you forgot to add az hakim and left out marshall faulk.:noidea:

remember montana, rice, taylor, craig, jones, and rathman? lebeau shut them down.

how bout manning, harrison, wayne, stokely, clark, and james? yep. lebeau shut them down.

and the greatest show on turf? it seems their kryptonite was the tampa bay defense. not a defense tomlin led but most definitely a defense that he was a part of and built his foundation upon.

fwiw id rather have hines, holmes, washington, miller, parker against the cardinals defense as opposed to fitz, boldin, breaston, ?, ?, against the steelers defense.

TheSteelCurtain
01-28-2009, 01:17 AM
He broke 1000 yards and you say "the guy just isn't that good?" :noidea:

Pat Tudstill, Nate Burleson, Willie Jackson, Brandon Stokley, Dick Gordon, Bob Boyd, Ashley Lelie, Drew Bennet, Koren Robinson, Michael Westbrook.

These guys all have had 1000 yard season. Do you even know who half of them are? If you do are they significant? 1006 yards and 3 touchdows doesnt quite make you a standout.

VegasStlrFan
01-28-2009, 01:17 AM
you forgot to add az hakim and left out marshall faulk.:noidea:

remember montana, rice, taylor, craig, jones, and rathman? lebeau shut them down.

how bout manning, harrison, wayne, stokely, clark, and james? yep. lebeau shut them down.

and the greatest show on turf? it seems their kryptonite was the tampa bay defense. not a defense tomlin led but most definitely a defense that he was a part of and built his foundation upon.

fwiw id rather have hines, holmes, washington, miller, parker against the cardinals defense as opposed to fitz, boldin, breaston, ?, ?, against the steelers defense.

Thats the game right there! :thumbsup:

TheSteelCurtain
01-28-2009, 01:23 AM
I would also like to point out that Warner threw the ball 200 more times than Roethlisberger this season

Steelers & I
01-28-2009, 01:51 AM
I would also like to point out that Warner threw the ball 200 more times than Roethlisberger this season

And Warner threw his balls in possibly, the worst effing division of all freaking time!

EFF the Arizona Cardinals, IS IT SUNDAY YET?

IAWarnerFan
01-28-2009, 02:01 AM
you forgot to add az hakim and left out marshall faulk.:noidea:

fwiw id rather have hines, holmes, washington, miller, parker against the cardinals defense as opposed to fitz, boldin, breaston, Urban, Hightower, and Arrington, against the steelers defense.
FTFY

IAWarnerFan
01-28-2009, 02:04 AM
And Warner threw his balls in possibly, the worst effing division of all freaking time!

EFF the Arizona Cardinals, IS IT SUNDAY YET?

That's only 6 games and the 49ers were actually pretty good the 2nd time. You're divison wasn't all that either. You played Baltimore twice. That's it!

Steelers & I
01-28-2009, 02:26 AM
That's only 6 games and the 49ers were actually pretty good the 2nd time. You're divison wasn't all that either. You played Baltimore twice. That's it!

SIGH, the Steelers will have played the toughest schedule EVER by a Super Bowl winning team. Try again Mac.

IAWarnerFan
01-28-2009, 02:41 AM
SIGH, the Steelers will have played the toughest schedule EVER by a Super Bowl winning team. Try again Mac.

I meant in the division. Cleveland 4-12 and Cincinnatti 4-11-1. Sure, your division was a bit better than the NFC West, but not by that much. The Cardinals had a difficult non divisional schedule as well. Buffalo being the only team that finished under .500 (7-9) and they were 4-0 at the time. Both the Cardinals and Steelers had difficult schedules.

TheSteelCurtain
01-28-2009, 02:49 AM
San Fransisco just looked good cause they played you. Dont be fooled.

2 teams from our division played for the AFC championship.
If either of these teams were in yours you would be saying Same Old Cadinals.

Records of Steelers Opponets. 153-103
#1 Toughest Schedule Rank 12-4 record
Records Of Cardinals Opponets 119-137
#22 Toughest Schedule Rank 9-7

AFC North Record 31-32-1
NFC West Record 22-32

If the Cardinals played in any 3/4 AFC division they would not be in the playoffs. That little thing on the screen on ESPN where they show the Wild Card picture. Your name wouldnt be on there either.

Your right thats only 6 games. you only won 3 others ones after that.

Here is a good stat for ya Net Points.

Cardinals-1
Steelers-124

Gee george it just aint adding up.

IAWarnerFan
01-28-2009, 02:56 AM
That doesn't seem right.
Schedule:
vs Miami (11-5)
@Wahington (8-8)
@New York Jets (9-7)
vs Buffalo (7-9)
vs Dallas (9-7)
@Carolina (12-4)
vs New York Giants (12-4)
@Philadelphia (9-6-1)
vs Minnesota (10-6)
@New England (11-5)

Never mind! Playing the Seahawks and Rams twice really brings it down. :doh:

stlrtruck
01-28-2009, 09:03 AM
I don't care about the regular season at this point.

Kurt Warner has tendancies and I would say the previous games that Tomlin has coached against Warner have more credit than the games during the regular season. But it goes the other way, as we've all read, Whiz knows LeBeau and his tendancies.

The question remains who will break those tendancies first to throw the other team off. I think it's going to be LeBeau - I think it's easier to throw in a defensive wrinkle than a new offensive design, especially when facing the #1 defense that has seen it all this year.

KeiselPower99
01-28-2009, 09:28 AM
I am gettin sick of all the hype and talk. Lets get the game on and see who the best team is.

XxKnightxX
01-28-2009, 10:52 AM
That doesn't seem right.
Schedule:
vs Miami (11-5)
@Wahington (8-8)
@New York Jets (9-7)
vs Buffalo (7-9)
vs Dallas (9-7)
@Carolina (12-4)
vs New York Giants (12-4)
@Philadelphia (9-6-1)
vs Minnesota (10-6)
@New England (11-5)

Never mind! Playing the Seahawks and Rams twice really brings it down. :doh:

And you guys got completely ass raped by these teams :doh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Face it. Warner has been around long enough that teams know his strengths and weaknesses. Its all about execution and right now he is executing.

I think Jim Johnson made mistakes by sending overload blitzes of sometimes 6-7 defenders.....but that is what he does. I look for Lebeau to send 4 and 5, but from different areas, while at the same time playing press so that the DB's can jump the hot routes.

If Kurt Warner can throw quick and in rythmn he is effective. Make him double pump and have to go long in the face of a pass rush and you will see the Warner that got run out of New York.

SteelMember
01-28-2009, 11:15 AM
Face it. Warner has been around long enough that teams know his strengths and weaknesses. Its all about execution and right now he is executing.

I think Jim Johnson made mistakes by sending overload blitzes of sometimes 6-7 defenders.....but that is what he does. I look for Lebeau to send 4 and 5, but from different areas, while at the same time playing press so that the DB's can jump the hot routes.

If Kurt Warner can throw quick and in rythmn he is effective. Make him double pump and have to go long in the face of a pass rush and you will see the Warner that got run out of New York.

Yep. Pressure the middle, and make him move out of the pocket. We all know how mobile he is. And Line, Get those hands up if your not getting penetration.

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-28-2009, 11:54 AM
Totally different teams and situation.

As is the same for us. I hate how reporters and fans on both sides try to relate back to the 2007 match up. Different teams on both sides.

Hines0wnz
01-28-2009, 01:40 PM
bruce/holt back then = boldin/fitz today.

I have to disagree here. Boldin and Fitz are bigger and more physical than Bruce and Holt.....by far. Breaston is more like Bruce and Holt but Fitz and Boldin will take and deliver hits from anyone. I really do not see Ryan Clark blasting either of these two WRs and it slowing them down. The secondary is going to have to play their best overall game of the season to slow them down. Tackling is going to be key.

tony hipchest
01-28-2009, 02:19 PM
I have to disagree here. Boldin and Fitz are bigger and more physical than Bruce and Holt.....by far. Breaston is more like Bruce and Holt but Fitz and Boldin will take and deliver hits from anyone. I really do not see Ryan Clark blasting either of these two WRs and it slowing them down. The secondary is going to have to play their best overall game of the season to slow them down. Tackling is going to be key.i wasnt talkin in terms of size, but in effectiveness and production.

they were both on multiple pro bowl teams, frequently league leaders in td's rec's and yds, and often regarded as the best tandem in the league. as for clark, he has blasted bigger and faster. matt jones and chris henry come to mind.