PDA

View Full Version : the future of our wide out corp

steelerfan821
01-28-2009, 07:07 AM
hines ward is gettin older and only has a few years left. holmes is looking better each year but will never be a no 1 wide out. sweed has not panned out as of yet. nate washington is a 2 or 3 at best is a free agent.

do we need to draft another reciever this year?

especially for kr/pr purposes.

stlrtruck
01-28-2009, 07:54 AM
First I would say that Hines has another 3 years left, possibly 4.

Holmes can be a #1, and he's starting to prove that in some of the catches he's making.

Sweed, I believe will be ok

Washington is #2 or #3 at best.

If we draft a WR anytime before the 5th round, I would say it's an injustice to the other needs of the team.

HometownGal
01-28-2009, 07:59 AM
First I would say that Hines has another 3 years left, possibly 4.

Holmes can be a #1, and he's starting to prove that in some of the catches he's making.

Sweed, I believe will be ok

Washington is #2 or #3 at best.

If we draft a WR anytime before the 5th round, I would say it's an injustice to the other needs of the team.

Couldn't say it any better than that! :drink:

I would love to hear, however, why SF821 doesn't feel Santo can be a #1 receiver. That one escapes me.

fansince'76
01-28-2009, 08:01 AM
I would love to hear, however, why SF821 doesn't feel Santo can be a #1 receiver. That one escapes me.

Probably because he isn't 6'5". :coffee:

MDSteel15
01-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Probably because he isn't 6'5". :coffee:

:banging: :banging: :banging: got to have a tall #1 :banging: :banging: :banging: :rofl:

KeiselPower99
01-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Holmes and Sweed are gonna be our 1 and 2 in the next 2 years and Hines will be number 3. Nate is a FA and if we lose him I wouldnt have a problem drafting a guy and see if Dallas Baker can stick on the roster next year. I do think we will sign a guy to be our 4 guy but only if Nate walks.

steelerfan821
01-28-2009, 08:50 AM
the only reason why holmes i believe that holmes wont be a number 1 is because he is used to much in the play action and long ball game. the number to is a more shifty and speed reciever to me and that is how the steelers play their ball game. ward is 1 because he is the go to guy and he is tough. he is used a lot on slants. holmes is to but when was the last time u saw ward go deep and beat a cb. i may be wrong but its all good. its just my opinion. i love holmes he is great and will be better next year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I wonder if Hines signs a new deal this year that extends him 2 more seasons to 2012. It could provide cap relief and signal that our WR core is gonna be Holmes, Ward, Sweed......with Dallas Baker or Martin Nance and a rookie (I'm a Quan Cosby fan) rounding out the list.

I would like to keep Washington, but think somebody is gonna offer him more than we think he is worth.

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-28-2009, 10:13 AM
Holmes will be number 1 guy, I think he finally has arrived when the playoffs started.
God I wish we could keep Nate for cheap, but most likely he will walk, and Sweed will be great , mark my words. All the haters prepare to silence yourselves.

TheSteelCurtain
01-28-2009, 10:25 AM
I think the only wawy we take a receiver in the first 5 rounds if we get a round 2 guy thats slipped to 4 or 5. Its not like we cut Dallas Baker cause he sucked. But we needed roster space with the LS and Linemen going down. We may even snag ourselves a FA wideout. All i know is the Steelers have been the best team in the NFL at drafting and building talent and i feel they will make the right choices;.

section514
01-28-2009, 10:30 AM
I say oline in round 1, WR/kr round 2, oline round 3, best available 4-5-6

section514
01-28-2009, 10:32 AM
Holmes will be number 1 guy, I think he finally has arrived when the playoffs started.
God I wish we could keep Nate for cheap, but most likely he will walk, and Sweed will be great , mark my words. All the haters prepare to silence yourselves.

I dont see nate walking, i honestly think we won't lose anyone to FA this year, I have never seen a pro team as close as ours. no one is greedy, we might start getting the home-town discount like the pens players have done.

chris hope was full of himself and randel el didn't do anything once he left. I think our players see that, if you want success, stay in pittsburgh because the world is different outside of SWPA.

Potsie
01-28-2009, 10:39 AM
I really think we need to keep Nate around. He's basically our deep threat receiver, but if he ends up walking, nothing we can really do.

Obviously the team needs to address the O line first and foremost. If we go for a receiver in one of the early rounds, I think it should be somebody who can also return kickoffs.

I love Gary Russell, but I don't think he's gonna be burning anybody anytime soon.

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-28-2009, 10:40 AM
I dont see nate walking, i honestly think we won't lose anyone to FA this year, I have never seen a pro team as close as ours. no one is greedy, we might start getting the home-town discount like the pens players have done.

chris hope was full of himself and randel el didn't do anything once he left. I think our players see that, if you want success, stay in pittsburgh because the world is different outside of SWPA.

I hope your right! :tt03:

steelreserve
01-28-2009, 10:44 AM
Well, once Ward retires, Holmes will be the No. 1 guy, and decent No. 2 and No. 3 receivers are a dime a dozen. So either Sweed and Washington will be those guys, or they won't and we'll have to pick up someone else.

Basically, this is a complete non-issue.

shevdog
01-28-2009, 11:18 AM
My comments on our wideouts is a bit mixed. I'll comment more on the off-season. For now I'll just say I'm happy with Nate late in the season and think Sweed need some confidence.

Ward does have 3-4 years left in him and he knows it. Why you think he's pushing so hard with that "round the clock rehab". Whatever "Superman protein shake" Hines is drinking, I want some for my left arm!

MDSteel15
01-28-2009, 11:51 AM
If Nate leaves, Sweed will be fine. We can take another WR in the 3rd if we do get that compensatory pick for Faneca....

hudsonp
02-01-2009, 09:24 PM
anyone that still thinks holmes can't be a #1 needs to watch the super bowl again