PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Style Steak question.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-28-2009, 10:06 AM
Anybody that can clarify what is an authentic Pittsburgh Steak? I have heard black and blue, another that says use a marinade of tomato juice and steak sauce, another that says coat with oil and spices and then sear it.

If anybody has a killer recipe for one, please hook me up as I know what is on the menu for sunday. Thanks,

AllD
01-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Coat it in butter and oregano. Let the juice drip into a pan and use it to dip the bread.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-29-2009, 12:13 AM
I found this:

PITTSBURGH-STYLE STEAK

This regional favourite began in the steel mills when the practice of the workers was to cook a steak on a cooling piece of steel. Marinate your steaks in tomato juice, stout beer, Heinz 57 steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and black pepper.

Char it on the outside, keep it rare on the inside.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20090128.LSUPERBOWL28//TPStory/Life

And this:

I work in a steakhouse.I have tried to find the true recipe for awhile.Don't use butane or ather gases directly on the steak.That will make the meat taste like the gas.I use a iron skillet.Heat the skillet as hot as you can get it;white hot if you will.Dip your steak in butter and place on the skillet.This will burn the outside and ,keep the inside rare ,or raw.The story behind a "pittsburgh steak" is that old steel workers in pittsburgh would cook their steaks on the side of the huge vats of molten iron.Hence, burning the outside and,keeping the inside raw.

http://www.recipelink.com/mf/0/46451

TheSteelCurtain
01-29-2009, 01:28 AM
I used to work in a restaraunt we would used that marinade. Then put a hot plate on a burner for a few minutes till it got hot and just blackened the outisde.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-29-2009, 03:17 PM
I used to work in a restaraunt we would used that marinade. Then put a hot plate on a burner for a few minutes till it got hot and just blackened the outisde.

The Tomato Juice, Dark Beer, Heinz 57, etc marinade???? I'm thinking of trying that one with a cast iron pan for steak on sunday. Thanks!!

TheSteelCurtain
01-29-2009, 05:13 PM
We did a tomato juice, yuengling, Heinz, etc and Them Some steak seasoning. The key is to marinade early and have that skillet hot as hell. Its gonna make a hell of a mass when you put it on there too.

TheSteelCurtain
01-29-2009, 05:18 PM
The bottom recipe is probably true to the original. Im not sure how many steel workers had a marinade going on there. We used a hot plate similar to this on either a burner or a grill (if you have time) Its hard to get it as hot on a grill you can with a burner.

A hot plate similar to this.

http://www.casadelacarne.es/common/carne/11.jpg

TheSteelCurtain
01-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Its gonna be a pain in the ass to clean when your done too. But if you like rare steaks you will love it. The meat in the middle is just supposed to be warm. I have had guys order it almost cold over the years.

Steelcitygal87
01-29-2009, 06:08 PM

Are you a chef? That marinade sounds delicious!

tony hipchest
01-29-2009, 07:05 PM
:yummy: ive never heard of this.

i grill steak about 2X a week. i like mine flame burnt to a crisp on the outside and hot, pink, and juicy on the inside (just like my women).

however its hard to get this perfect on a grill.

can these be done on a conventional gas stovetop? is the iron skillet a must? you just cook it on each side til its burnt?
any particular style or thickness of steaks? i usually have new yorks.

TheSteelCurtain
01-29-2009, 08:12 PM
:yummy: ive never heard of this.

i grill steak about 2X a week. i like mine flame burnt to a crisp on the outside and hot, pink, and juicy on the inside (just like my women).

however its hard to get this perfect on a grill.

can these be done on a conventional gas stovetop? is the iron skillet a must? you just cook it on each side til its burnt?
any particular style or thickness of steaks? i usually have new yorks.

You could do it on any heat surface. You need to get a skillet, melting plate or something you can get super hot. Maybee put a little olive oil on it so it doesnt stick. Once it is hot you drop the steak on it. You could use a new york strip steak but it would be a little harder to keep together. We did it with Sirloin's or Fillets. The thicker the steak you get the easier it will be to keep the inside pinker and juicier. This is just personal preferance but to thin your just gonna end up with a burnt medium done steak.

I like new york too but because of the strip in it the outsides tend to cook up a little bit more. Sirloins work good for this and obviously filet mignion is the best. A skillet will work it might be a little harder to get the whole thing really hot. We used a gas stove to do this. A grill is actually a little harder. In the restaurant we used a melting plate like the thing in the picture. Just the metal part on the wood not the whole thing. Anything like that will work. I never tried a skillet i guess it could work. Some people like to put cajun or blackening season on it. This is a blackened steak not really a Pittsburgh style but the same basic concept when cooking it. Just a variation to try from the marinade. let me know how this works out. Maybee ill make a little cooking video emerill style for you guys.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Tony, I grill too around 4-5 times a week and remember seeing a recipe somewhere for "blackened steak" using a blackened spice and a really hot cast iron fry pan. I think it was in the BBQ-U book by Steven Raichlen.

This sounds cool and I am gonna marinate up a couple sirloins this weekend and have a big ol cast iron fry pan that I use for camping to sear it up.

Never really a fan of pan frying a steak, but what better occasion to do a Pittsburgh Style. :thumbsup: Thanks for the info Steelcurtain!!

TheSteelCurtain
01-29-2009, 10:23 PM
No problem man. If you like a rare steak this is the way to do it up. Whenever people would order one at the restaurant we knew that they had some BALLS. GO STEELERS!

If you are a fan of tuna blackened tuna is AMAZING if you can find a good piece of tuna.

I like to make cook chicken off on a grill than blacken it with cajun powder and put in like a rice or even make it into a wrap.

Steelcitygal87
01-30-2009, 05:41 AM
No problem man. If you like a rare steak this is the way to do it up. Whenever people would order one at the restaurant we knew that they had some BALLS. GO STEELERS!

If you are a fan of tuna blackened tuna is AMAZING if you can find a good piece of tuna.

I like to make cook chicken off on a grill than blacken it with cajun powder and put in like a rice or even make it into a wrap.

I love tuna..unfortunantly there is not a good seafood place in my area, otherwise I would eat it more often.

I like your chicken idea..sounds delicious...I love making chicken salads a lot...could fix the chicken the way you do and then put it in the salad along with some homemade french fries....yum!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-30-2009, 08:07 AM

Yeah, I love Tuna. Also did some bacon wrapped, blackened scallops on the grill a few weeks back. Love me some blackened or cajun spice. Like to do a memphis rub on my chicken.

TailgateMel
01-30-2009, 08:09 AM
That steak sounds awesome!!

:tt02: :tt: :tt03:

Steelcitygal87
01-30-2009, 09:09 AM
Yeah, I love Tuna. Also did some bacon wrapped, blackened scallops on the grill a few weeks back. Love me some blackened or cajun spice. Like to do a memphis rub on my chicken.

Bacon wrapped scallops..sounds delicious!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2009, 03:18 PM
OK Steeler fans......gotta say Super Bowl #6 was sweeter with my steak!!!

I did the marinade and it was tasty. Seared the steak on the cast iron and it was good. Ate about half of it and felt better finishing it up on the grill..........I like my beef medium and that thing said Moooooo! to me. Strange fear of ecoli that I have.

I encourage you to try it out. It was a good marinade and all I would do is maybe cook it a bit longer on the cast iron pan.

Galax Steeler
02-22-2009, 10:55 AM
I found this:

[B]PITTSBURGH-STYLE STEAK

This regional favourite began in the steel mills when the practice of the workers was to cook a steak on a cooling piece of steel. Marinate your steaks in tomato juice, stout beer, Heinz 57 steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, garlic and black pepper.

That sounds good I am going to have to try it.

M1JAM
02-22-2009, 07:19 PM
"Pittsburgh Rare" -- you should be abl e to order it this way in any good steak restaurant. It means BLACK on the outside and RED (not gold) on the inside. Red as in rare. Not pink

M1JAM
02-22-2009, 07:20 PM
of course if you want it black and gold you have to put mustard on it. Yuck

Galax Steeler
02-23-2009, 03:33 AM
I tried this yesterday before the race came on and it was delicious thanks for the idea.

jev7452
02-23-2009, 05:58 AM
yeah i made this last night and it was awesome! thanks!

tony hipchest
02-26-2009, 07:49 PM
i havent tried the pittsburgh steak yet but came close.

anyone ever have tri-tip steaks? i guess its a california thing and you rarely see the roast cut into steaks.

those not on the west coast usually have to have the butcher cut it for them, or do it themselves, (most butchers just use it for hamburger or stew meat which oughtta be a sin).

its super tender, not fatty, and im thinking only about 3 lbs per cow.

The tri-tip roast or steak (also called a triangle roast) is the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 pounds of meat that sits at the bottom of the sirloin. Not only does it have a great flavor, but also tends to be lower in fat than most other cuts, so it's a good lean cut. Of course this means that it can dry out faster, but with a good marinade you really can't go wrong with this cut. (had to check)

i found a nice 2 1/2 ponder for $3/pound that was about an inch and a half to 2 inches thick.

marinade in worchestishire, kik-o-man, with lots of garlic powder, chopped dried onion, and thyme.

threw it on the grill and charred the outside leaving a good portion of the middle medium rare and slightly bleeding just a bit, with just enough well done and crispy to sop up all the juices.

absolutely delicious! i still havent found a steak chain that cooks em as good as i do.

plus, since i cut it in half, it it was 24 oz. for $3.50, and would make me cringe at buying filet mignon again (and i loves me some filet).