PDA

View Full Version : Why we'll win

steelerchad
01-28-2009, 10:24 AM
The obvious matchup is the Arizona Passing offense against the Steeler Passing Defense.

Their passing game is clicking now. But they have been shut down by far less talented defensive units this year. They haven't faced a D even close to ours because there isn't one. If you look at the passing stats the Steelers have allowed an avg. of 157yds/gm.

The next closest is Baltimore with 180 yds/gm.
There are 9 teams between 180-200 yds/gm.
So teams ranked #2-9 are within 20 yards of each other top to bottom. Yet we are 23 yards/gm better than #2 Baltomore. That is a clear and decisive advantage.

The Arizona pass attack is good, but it has been proven that it can be stopped. No one has proven they could pass effectively on our Defense.

When you flip the field around I also feel that our Offense, although it has struggled at times will be able to move the ball against a mediocre Arizona Defense. If this team would happen to win this game, this could be the worst Defense to ever win a SB.

Let's make sure that doesn't happen.
Steelers 31
Cards 17

tattooboyzgirl
01-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Very good post and I agree but another big reason we will win? They disrespected the terrible towel!!!!!! :mad:

steelreserve
01-28-2009, 10:50 AM
I don't get why people suddenly think Warner and Fitzgerald are unstoppable and we'll have problems matching up against them. They're not the first good quarterback and the first good receivers we've faced. And Arizona lost almost half their games this year. Short of a 5-TD game, Fitzgerald is not going to save them from getting dickstomped.

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
01-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Thank You Cudnt Said It Better Steel Reserve !!

Hines0wnz
01-28-2009, 12:49 PM
When you flip the field around I also feel that our Offense, although it has struggled at times will be able to move the ball against a mediocre Arizona Defense. If this team would happen to win this game, this could be the worst Defense to ever win a SB.

Hmmm.....I remember the Colts' D was pretty mediocre looking until they made their playoff run 2 years ago. You cant use regular season numbers once the playoffs begin as they tend not to be indicative for games' outcome.

SteelerFanInCA
01-28-2009, 12:52 PM
To me the Steelers seem to be really focused on getting this last "W".

Mags87
01-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Hmmm.....I remember the Colts' D was pretty mediocre looking until they made their playoff run 2 years ago. You cant use regular season numbers once the playoffs begin as they tend not to be indicative for games' outcome.

i think you can if the regular season numbers are almost identical to the postseason numbers. I.E. Steelers Defense

steelpride12
01-28-2009, 01:37 PM
There defense though has stepped up and all together they are a much better team now then they were in the regular season. Warner will get time to pass due to the great play of the OL in the playoffs even with the 31st ranked rushing attack in the regular season, the playoffs brought a much different and better Arizona team and the game will be better and more challenging that we all think.

CanadianSteel
01-28-2009, 01:57 PM
I think the game will be close just as most of our games this year.... if you read inot the media hype you would think Warner and Fitz are unstopable... Our D will show up you cant count on it...I worry more about Boldin and Breason and special teams...

westcoastransplant
01-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Cards fans like to say that our D didn't play any high powered offenses like Baltimore, Cinci and Cleveland. They say that this pads their stats. Nevermind our D face 4 of the top 10 and 7 of the top 15.

But the arguement can be swung the other way. Their offense faced the #28th and 30th ranked defennse twice a piece in St. Louis and San Fransisco. And San Francisco was 20th against the pass. This can be argued as padding the offensive stats of the Cards.

43Hitman
01-28-2009, 02:46 PM
I'll tell ya why we will win. We are the better team period. Now everyone is starting to jump on the Tards bandwagon and I love that. Let them all take the Tards. This guy Rick Stroud just said that Ben is bad at 3rd and long situations...LMAO! This guy is a complete tool! Our defense is watching everyone down play our defense and offense...gonna be good!

Vincent
01-28-2009, 05:16 PM
I think a quick reflection by the Cards on the last game the Steelers played should give them the cheery news that they're about to enter a brutal contest, the likes of which they've not seen.

If our heroes play the game they played against the rats, its curtains. We have no reason to think they won't.

steelreserve
01-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Cards fans like to say that our D didn't play any high powered offenses like Baltimore, Cinci and Cleveland. They say that this pads their stats. Nevermind our D face 4 of the top 10 and 7 of the top 15.

But the arguement can be swung the other way. Their offense faced the #28th and 30th ranked defennse twice a piece in St. Louis and San Fransisco. And San Francisco was 20th against the pass. This can be argued as padding the offensive stats of the Cards.

To look at it another way: The Cardinals were 3-7 this year against opponents that weren't pieces of shit.

Also, they were outscored 315-216 against anyone not from the NFC West. That's ... not very good.

revefsreleets
01-28-2009, 06:37 PM
The reality is the Cards shouldn't even be on the same field as the Steelers Sunday. The refs will toss them a few calls to keep it close, but this one is gonna be ugly.

The NFC had a little juice last year but it's getting to be kind of jokey again...

Kipper
01-28-2009, 07:42 PM
There defense though has stepped up and all together they are a much better team now then they were in the regular season. Warner will get time to pass due to the great play of the OL in the playoffs even with the 31st ranked rushing attack in the regular season, the playoffs brought a much different and better Arizona team and the game will be better and more challenging that we all think.

Not true at all. Their Defense has done ONE thing better in the playoffs and that's create turnovers. Outside of that, they are allowing more passing yards per game than they allowed in the regular season. they are allowing 4.1 yards per carry in the playoffs, which is worswe than the 4.0 ypc they allowed in the regular season. Sure their rushing yards per game numbers are down but when a team like Carolina that was gaining 5 yards per clip has to ditch their running game to overcome deficits that their QB put them in, it tells you an entirely different story.

The Cardinals still can't tackle well on defense, they are pretty crappy at defending the middle fo the field, even in the playoffs, and their defense has only looked better simply because they are creating turnovers, capitlizing on them with their offense and making teams become one-dimensional (which could or could not inflate the passing yards against number ).

The Cardinals defense isn't any better. They aren't stopping the run any better and aren't stopping the pass any better. They are Baltimore without being able to stop the run or pass. Balhawking.

Their run game still stinks as well regardless of what Cardinals fans might try to tell you. Carolina and Atlanta's run defenses stink. The Cardinals are gaining more yards per game but they are running the ball on average 12 more times per game. Their rushing yards per average is actually LOWER in the post season than it was in the regular season 3.3 vs 3.5.

My take?

Everyone keeps talking about the Cardinals offense vs. the Steelers defense. I think the key to the game is going to be the Steelers offense vs. the Cardinals defense.

If you look at similar teams that we faced this year to the Cardinals defense in terms of ranks, we've had great games on offense. This offense has struggled this year due to playing 8 games against Top 10 pass offenses and 6 games against Top 10 defenses. When you get past those games, this offense has been really good. the Cardinals defense is nowhere near a Top 10 defense. I think we'll be able to control the clock, drive the ball and put points on the board against Arizona without turning the ball over.

Here's a question and something to think about...

What was the last 3-4 defense that Kurt Warner faced this season?

when you figure out that answer it should make you feel good, because Warner didn't make it through the whole game :tt:

:tt03::tt03: Bringing Home NUMBER SIX!