PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever coach Youth Sports?

revefsreleets
01-28-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm entering a new phase here, uncharted waters. I have agreed to coach my girlfriends two daughters (one 11 the other 12, both on the same team) in softball this year, and basically have no idea what I'm getting myself into here. Any tips or advice, practical experience would be greatly appreciated!

I figured this much out: DON'T run the score up to 100-0!

stlrtruck
01-28-2009, 12:52 PM
I haven't coached but my best friend just coached his daughter's softball team and the subsequent basketball team and his one thing - HAVE FUN!!!

Muppet13
01-28-2009, 01:01 PM
I sometimes help coach my little sister's soccer team.

millwalldavey
01-28-2009, 03:09 PM
I coached baseball one year. Same problems coaching as I have teaching. Parents.

kittenfantastico76
01-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Parents are probably the hardest thing - everyone thinks their kid is the best or should play more... if you can tune them out and make a fair playing schedule for the girls, you should be good. As said above all have fun! It's great to win but girls and boys need to know that winning isn't everything.

I'm not a fan of the "no one wins, no one loses" thing they are doing in schools (not keeping score etc), I think it's lame - children are going to have to learn to deal with disappointment in their lives and I think this sets them up for horrible feelings in the future if they don't succeed the first time they do something. And many won't try again.

GOOD LUCK COACH!

lambertlunaticfan
01-29-2009, 04:11 AM
let me just say,thats very nice of you to do this.....you must really love your girlfriend,to subject yourself to this......cause i can tell you first hand,as i was in the same boat as you,i coached my girlfriends daughter softball team when she was 13......its a adventure..............did you play softball or baseball,cause that might help,if they listen to you....but it was my experenece that girls,like cindy lauper said"just want to have fun".......and thats what you have to do,dont be too serious,they will let you know what they expect from you.... and you just coach the way they want,if they want to win,then coach them that way....,but if they are just out to have fun,the wrost thing you can do is coach them by being too serious cause they are just going to fight you with it...that first day,i told the girls just that,if you want to win ,i'll be that coach....but if you girls just want to have fun,well i can also be that coach....its a tough age to coach,you can ask any parent of a teenage girl, its tough enough for them to get them to clean thier room or something if they dont want to.....so you can just imagine how tough it is to coach them if they dont want to be...... its going to be tough if they are just looking to have fun if youre a competive person like me....as i play to win....well i'm here if you need any advice during the season,i wish you the best of luck:thumbsup:I'm entering a new phase here, uncharted waters. I have agreed to coach my girlfriends two daughters (one 11 the other 12, both on the same team) in softball this year, and basically have no idea what I'm getting myself into here. Any tips or advice, practical experience would be greatly appreciated!

I figured this much out: DON'T run the score up to 100-0!

Galax Steeler
01-29-2009, 05:07 AM
I have coached my sons soccer team the past two years I have learned alot but the main thing is to let them have fun I was new at it but I learned as I went.

xfl2001fan
01-29-2009, 12:15 PM
I was an semi-assistant coach with a friend's Lil League football team. I helped coach the WRs, TEs and DEs. However, come game day, it was the "Big Three" who had to deal with the parental flak. That's pretty much where it all comes from too.

I don't know if you have other volunteers that can help you form a staff, but I'd try to find a hitting, pitching and defensive coach if possible. Not knowing your experience/familiarity with baseball/softball, I can't go into greater detail. Of course, considering my lack of experience/familiarity with coaching/playing the sport, there's not much to tell.

I'm a spreadsheet guy...and tried to monitor minutes/plays via excel to help ensure everyone got a fair shot.

There's a lot of things to consider as well. Number of players on your team, age group (the older the age group, the more competitive it generally gets...and so the less playing time for your less than stellar athletes).

The Co-Ed volleyball league that I'm Captain/Coach on is really led by the females on the team...most of whom played in college. I'm more the coach in name than anything else (for organization, emails, schedule changes and such.)

Don't be too tough on them. Don't show favortism. Don't let the parents get to you. That's about it.