PDA

View Full Version : Jerome in negotiations

BlitzburghRockCity
02-22-2005, 03:16 PM
The Steelers and Jerome's agent are talking this week about redoing his contract for another year. obviously with his cap number, its either restructure or be released.

Seems like a good sign that he is maybe leaning towards coming back..but he could still easily retire, even after the deal is done, this just covers the ass of the Steelers to get under the cap, incase he wants to come back.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05053/461014.stm

ironcitychef
02-22-2005, 11:49 PM
Yeah just saw this officially:rolleyes: yet we have been saying that it will come down to numbers. Just interesting that his agent has said that should he get cut before a contract that it will "change" things. Seems though that Bettis still loves to play. Just wish I could get info on his weight. Is he keeping up, or falling off?

clevestinks
02-23-2005, 02:05 PM
I still think they can use him, if for no other reason, he is suppose to be a great team leader

JerseySTEEL
02-23-2005, 08:28 PM
bettis this year ghavent seen him run like that in 3 years was great, every inteview i see him in looks good. just hopeing hell come back.

ironcitychef
02-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Food for thought...Super Bowl XL will be in Detroit, Mich. Bettis might not want to pass up a chance to play in front of the home crowd.

clevestinks
02-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Great point, Detroit, if thats what it takes, it works for me.

ironcitychef
02-25-2005, 09:31 AM
from reading in the press. Jerome will play one more year. Just a money thing so we have to do something by Wednesday. ESPN will hire him if we don't.

clevestinks
02-25-2005, 02:22 PM
There is plenty of time after football for ESPN, hot ticked will Jerome be if he takes the t.v. gig, and we win the superbowl in Detroit? One more year

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2005, 05:29 PM
ESPN is courting jerome pretty big to come be an analyst. and its now way past wednesday and no info as of yet. Obviously he isnt cut yet, so they must be pulling out all the stops to get this thing done and bring him back.

ironcitychef
02-26-2005, 12:35 AM
Mar 2 is the deadline when cap money takes hits. We need to find out by then. I bet Bettis is taking the weekend to think. Thh two will talk Mon, then Tuesday announce the deal. Bettis plays one more year at just under 2 million. with lots of bonuses for post season.[Note - not an expert on cap bonuses and whether this works, but it sounded good in case Jerome reads this board before he makes his decision]

ironcitychef
02-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Its official! Bettis is back for one more year! At 1.5 million. Perfect range that allows us to keep chugging this offseason. What a guy.

JerseySTEEL
02-27-2005, 01:22 AM
i herad it today on espn its great weeeeeeeee.

clevestinks
02-27-2005, 06:17 AM
The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round, one more year, I just saw it on ESPN also, great news.

ironcitychef
03-01-2005, 12:28 AM
Just to update...Jerome and Farrior did a new deal to get us under the cap. By under I mean we are over the old cap, but about 4.5 million under the new cap when it is announced. That money is said to be going to Reed and Hope so far who are anxious to resign with PIT and be done with free agent stuff.

Prosdo
03-03-2005, 06:43 AM
A friend of mine said that KDKA had Jerome Bettis in an interview on last night's (Wednesday) 11PM news. Supposedly there was some bombshell news or so the ad claimed. Did anyone see it and do you know what it is? I had already heard about his coming back so I don't believe its that announcement.

ironcitychef
03-03-2005, 10:05 AM
The only thing I know is Bettis still might retire. He was interviewed and said he restructured to get us under the cap, but still can't say if he will play or not. He is still going to train the same way and see if he can take a few months to decide.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-05-2005, 10:31 AM
He he basically adjusted his deal to give the Steelers some cap relief and buy him a few months to make up his mind. Honestly, just becuz he's such a competitor, and he wants a ring...it would totally blow me away if he retired now.