PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Parade: Not Happening

section514
01-28-2009, 05:25 PM
Due to a cost of over $45,000 , The city of Pittsburgh will not hold a parade if the Steelers were to win.

A quarter of a million people came down for the last one. Are you trying to tell me, you couldn't get a quarter million people to pay $1 for the parade?

Now I know I am getting a little ahead of myself, but come on!

Does someone want to help me set up a fund to have this parade?

Big7BenHOF
01-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Maybe they should have some sort of donation somewhere for it.

KeiselPower99
01-28-2009, 05:28 PM
I read on KDKA.com last night that due to issues with public saefty it might be cancelled. This is a real bummer cause I was planning on comming up if we won. I hope they have some kinda rally and let us show our support for our boys.

section514
01-28-2009, 05:30 PM
I am working on something

CPanther95
01-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Parades are for newbies.:wink02:

When is East-side Rendell up for reelection? The state should have no problem ponying up the money to help the city. Any whining will just be viewed as sour grapes.

Steelers could bus back to Pittsburgh and they'd have triple the crowd that saw off the Cards in Phoenix in every major metropolitan area on the way back to Pittsburgh.

steelerdave1969
01-28-2009, 05:36 PM
That would definitely be ashamed if the city of Pittsburgh does not have a victory parade. I agree with the pay $1 per person and they would definitely more than pay for itself... kind of a joke if the city doesnt hold it for their home team..

steelreserve
01-28-2009, 05:36 PM
here we go ... Steelers ... here we go...
Pittsburgh's going to the Super Bowk.

CPanther95
01-28-2009, 05:39 PM
How about just holding the parade and not inviting any cops? That should save the bulk of the cost.

MACH1
01-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Whats a Bowk? :wink02:

steelreserve
01-28-2009, 05:42 PM
How about just holding the parade and not inviting any cops? That should save the bulk of the cost.

Also, as the parade moves through town, they should have people on the floats throwing guns into the street.

CPanther95
01-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Whats a Bowk? :wink02:

The sound a Raven makes when you step on its neck. Very similar to a Cardinal, except it is a fainter, more timid, lower-case "bowk".

43Hitman
01-28-2009, 06:05 PM
I am working on something

Let us know if you get something going. I will come up from Virginia when we win for the parade.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-28-2009, 06:08 PM
I was planning on going when we won, this sucks!

Big7BenHOF
01-28-2009, 06:23 PM
You guys could all just come down to California to have a parade if we win.

:flap:

section514
01-28-2009, 06:29 PM
raise em ourselves http://www.fundable.com/groupactions/groupaction.2009-01-28.7777819845/groupaction_view

TheSteelCurtain
01-28-2009, 06:30 PM
I was at the parade last year and it was awesome. I got a signed Chris Gardocki hat and a picture with Max. The players loved it. Some of them were stage diving.

CPanther95
01-28-2009, 06:33 PM
I guess this means he's back to "Ravenstahl" now.

lilyoder6
01-28-2009, 06:35 PM
that would suck.. how could they not have a parade

CPanther95
01-28-2009, 06:37 PM
If it truly is a matter of only $45,000 - there's no chance of them skipping a parade.

revefsreleets
01-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Easy, easy, easy solution:

Hold it in Cleveland. They'd love the hotel biz and welcome the revenue. I'm sure they'd love to touch even the periphery of success...maybe it'll rub off?

(Of course not but I'm also not joking...if the Burgh won' why not?)

Crushzilla
01-28-2009, 06:44 PM
I really don't think it's a cost issue.

Please note East Carson street on Sunday night if we win.

I think THAT'S the issue, and I can't necessarily disagree with the city if that's their concern.

section514
01-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Let us know if you get something going. I will come up from Virginia when we win for the parade.

http://www.fundable.com/groupactions/groupaction.2009-01-28.7777819845/groupaction_view

fansince'76
01-28-2009, 06:49 PM
Has nothing to do with money:

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― There's a big possibility that if the Steelers win on Sunday, there will not be a victory parade.

An estimated 250,000 people jammed the streets of downtown Pittsburgh in February of 2006 for their Super Bowl parade.

There were far more people than anyone expected and the crowd was hard to control.

If there's another Super Bowl win, city officials are seriously considering eliminating the parade and perhaps holding a rally or something else that's more secure.

"The last parade that we had did create some public safety problems," Pittsburgh Public Safety Director Michael Huss said. "It was a narrow corridor. We had a crowd that was a lot larger than what we anticipated."

No final decision has been made and officials are reluctant to talk about it. But a parade like the one in 2006 appears unlikely if the Steelers win.

Public safety officials also want to avoid the post-game pandemonium that occurred in 2006 as well when fans flipped four cars and started small fires. Thirty-four people were arrested.

"We want everyone to enjoy the game and hopefully enjoy the victory, but at the same time, we don't want to see any damage done to our neighborhoods," Huss added.

Forbes Avenue and Carson Street will be shutdown Sunday evening.

http://kdka.com/steelers/Steelers.victory.parade.2.919561.html

SteelCityMan786
01-28-2009, 06:51 PM

When is East-side Rendell up for reelection? The state should have no problem ponying up the money to help the city. Any whining will just be viewed as sour grapes.

Steelers could bus back to Pittsburgh and they'd have triple the crowd that saw off the Cards in Phoenix in every major metropolitan area on the way back to Pittsburgh.

Rendell can not run again in 2010. Pennsylvania's constitution prohibits Governor's from seeking a 3rd Term. (Much like the US President Term Rule)

They could ask for a donation to the parade. That could easily help pay for all the problems.

section514
01-28-2009, 06:54 PM
PITTSBURGH -- City sources told Channel 11's Alan Jennings on Wednesday that if the Steelers win the Super Bowl, there won't be a parade in Pittsburgh.

Concerns are that the cost would be a budget buster and the parade would cause safety issues. yes it is fansince

fansince'76
01-28-2009, 06:56 PM
yes it is fansince

Good luck with that.

lambertlunaticfan
01-28-2009, 06:57 PM
wow,talk about counting your chickens before they hatch....why dont you wait till the end of the game and see if we win before posting a thread like this....we still have to play the game:doh:Due to a cost of over $45,000 , The city of Pittsburgh will not hold a parade if the Steelers were to win.

A quarter of a million people came down for the last one. Are you trying to tell me, you couldn't get a quarter million people to pay $1 for the parade?

tony hipchest
01-28-2009, 07:02 PM
steelers need to win first. i could care less about a parade.

didnt you start a petition to have the superbowl held at the home of the nittany lions? :doh:

kittenfantastico76
01-28-2009, 07:12 PM
I would think they could at least get some vendors to do business out there and make them pay the city a percentage of royalties for business made during the event... I would think all fans would be up for $1.00 entry fee!

KeiselPower99
01-28-2009, 07:14 PM
The Mayor was on ESPN this morning and said they was gonna have something for them.

section514
01-28-2009, 07:16 PM
steelers need to win first. i could care less about a parade.

didnt you start a petition to have the superbowl held at the home of the nittany lions? :doh:

What can I say, I like to get involved...

http://www.fundable.com/groupactions/groupaction.2009-01-28.7777819845/groupaction_view

shevdog
01-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Reading KDKA's post and what was mentioned here about Ravenstal's comments to ESPN, they will have something. I think the timing of this buzz will ensure there is a parade or some sort of rally on Tuesday. No matter what, after being at the parade in 2006, I will be in Pittsburgh some day next week celebrating.

Steelers 6th Super Bowl celebration will happen! I will gladly pay my dues!

IAWarnerFan
01-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Due to a cost of over $45,000 , The city of Pittsburgh will not hold a parade if the Steelers were to win.

Just a little! :wink02:
I wonder if Phoenix would have one? :noidea:

JackHammer
01-28-2009, 09:30 PM

I wonder if anyone would show up :noidea:

TheSteelCurtain
01-28-2009, 09:31 PM

I think 250,000 caused a little more problems than 5,000 would. They are gonna have the parade on a side street in Yuma.

HometownGal
01-28-2009, 09:38 PM

Eddie the Hut is in his second term as Governor. We're stuck with ol' blubber-puss until 2011. :yuck:

Though I believe even talking about a Super Bowl parade is premature and has a little bit of bad karma attached to it, the City of Pittsburgh spends hundred of thousands of dollars every year on fireworks - why they can't shell out $45,000 for a parade to honor their hometown team who has brought millions upon millions of dollars into the city with all of their playoff runs over the years is beyond my comprehension. :mad:

X-Terminator
01-28-2009, 09:46 PM
How about, um, winning the game first? Talking about parades right now is bad ju-ju. Does anyone remember 2001 with the "Super Bowl plans" controversy? Let them play the game, and if they win, THEN talk about parades or rallies or whatever. I'm already nervous as it is because I can certainly see an upset. This kind of stuff isn't helping!

section514
01-28-2009, 09:58 PM
heres the thing, we have to start now.

You can clean the hause, but don't plan no parrtee

if we don't let the city know we aren't happy, then it will be too late.

We aren't planning the route and who will be there and stuff like that, save that for Monday. But we do need to be prepared.

Indo
01-28-2009, 10:52 PM
[QUOTE=X-Terminator;546350]How about, um, winning the game first?

Absolutely.

I certainly hope none of the players gets even the smallest idea in the back of his brain that this game is "in the bag" like some of us seem to have. While the Cardinals do suck, they have made it into the Superbowl, and, On Any Given Sunday...

We need to play the Game of a Lifetime and hoist the lombardi BEFORE we start celebrating

tony hipchest
01-28-2009, 10:58 PM
What can I say, I like to get involved...

http://www.fundable.com/groupactions/groupaction.2009-01-28.7777819845/groupaction_view:rolleyes:

do you pimp your t-shirts in your petitions also?

win the game. screw the parade. the same people concerned about parades are those who watch the superbowl for the commercials.

must wine. can no lose any more game!

lambertlunaticfan
01-29-2009, 02:25 AM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rolleyes:

do you pimp your t-shirts in your petitions also?

win the game. screw the parade. the same people concerned about parades are those who watch the superbowl for the commercials.

must wine. can no lose any more game!

markymarc
01-29-2009, 06:53 AM
The mayor better hire security for himself if there is no parade if the Steelers win on Sunday. And that would be totally ridiculous if there was no parade in Pittsburgh.

SteelMember
01-29-2009, 08:26 AM
Must Wine!

shevdog
01-29-2009, 08:54 AM

Does Phoenix have a street small enough to hold all 200 Cardinal fans?

shevdog
01-29-2009, 09:48 AM
For a parade that's not suppose to happen, then why are we doing this?

Fans flocking Downtown for Super Bowl rally
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_609308.html

Then there is this
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09029/945444-100.stm

I'm just saying...

Stlrs4Life
01-29-2009, 09:52 AM
They shouldn't be plannning any parade yet anyway.

shevdog
01-29-2009, 10:01 AM
They shouldn't be plannning any parade yet anyway.

Agreed.

I just thought it was retarded for those city official to make such a comment like that yesterday. It ticks someone like me off, who lives on the other side of the state who is making "tenative plans" to be in the Burgh for the parade.

So once the game is played, the Steelers victory secured, then everyone can make "solid plans". I tend to make a lot of "tenative plans", such as this season being in Heinz Field for the AFC Championship. Luckily my plans panned out well.

Anyhow, back to other Super Bowl hype and over analysis!

pitt1848
01-29-2009, 01:56 PM
Never posted before but just letting you guys know the parade will be on Tuesday if we win. Reason I know is because I'll be one of the driver's because my family has Chevrolet dealerships and they are giving dealers a Super Bowl Avalanche to sell at their store. We were contacted by Chevrolet this morning. Go Steelers. They better win cause I get a day off work Tuesday.

homerdiesel
01-29-2009, 02:00 PM
welcome i am new to this stuff also

pitt1848
01-29-2009, 02:13 PM
I have to be at the Convention Center Tuesday morning at 9:00 am so I am guessing the parade will be 11 or 12.

Hines4ever
01-29-2009, 02:29 PM
wow,talk about counting your chickens before they hatch....why dont you wait till the end of the game and see if we win before posting a thread like this....we still have to play the game:doh:

Yeah, it acutally makes me a little nervous....I say wait till the end of the game...............

4xSBChamps
01-31-2009, 09:33 PM
..... having dinner, sitting at the bar of APPLEBEE'S this evening, about 40 miles East of site of tomorrow's Super Bowl, and we finally see a few Cardinal fans (3 couples), then begin discussing the game with them:
I mention that a story is going-around 'da Burgh that a parade won't go-down in-town if 'em Stillers win, reportedly because security costs, and the economic situation.

[Mrs. Red Robin fan, who's had too-much to drink from the bird-feeder]
"..... OUR fans behave themselves, and security would never be an issue at our parade....."
[/Mrs. Red Robin fan, who's had too-much to drink from the bird-feeder]

[my fiancee, who doesn't really follow sports, but allows me to root for 'em Stillers]
"..... how-much mayhem could all 6 people cause?"
[/my fiancee, who doesn't really follow sports, but allows me to root for 'em Stillers]

:toofunny: