PDA

View Full Version : “Won’t-Be-In-On-Time” permission slips may be must-have for diehard fans

mesaSteeler
01-28-2009, 08:37 PM
“Won’t-Be-In-On-Time” permission slips may be must-have for diehard fans

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/01/28/sports/steelers/doc497e6e15414d2162830186.txt

By Scott Tady, Times Staff

PITTSBURGH — You have an excuse to be late to work Monday.

Seriously, Pittsburgh’s tourism agency is offering “Won’t-Be-In-On-Time” permission slips for those too exhausted from the Super Bowl.

The permission slips, downloadable from VisitPittsburgh.com, say, “In celebration of the Pittsburgh Steelers appearance in Super Bowl XLIII, I hereby request permission to report late for work on Monday, Feb. 2, 2009.”

Ideally, you’d hand your boss the permission slip before the game. If your boss says “No,” then you can spread the rumor that he or she is a heartless pinhead who doesn’t recognize that the Steelers are the key thread in the black-and-gold fabric of our community.

Don’t try this if you work in Baltimore.

“We posted the permission slips online last week, and already half my staff has turned them in,” said Craig Davis, VisitPittsburgh’s vice president of sales and marketing.

Steelers fans have downloaded 3,000 slips so far. Davis expects that number to grow far beyond the 12,000 downloads from a similar slip the city’s official tourism and marketing agency offered prior to the Steelers’ Super Bowl XL triumph.

“Steelers fans know from experience that Super Bowl Sunday is emotionally draining and that we’ll need a little extra time to get to work on Monday morning,” said VisitPittsburgh president Joe McGrath.

Super Bowl Sunday already has been declared a day off for those working the late-afternoon, evening and late-night shifts at Eat’n Park.

Each of the 80 tri-state Eat’n Park restaurants will close at 3 p.m. Sunday and won’t reopen until 6 a.m. Monday, so employees can watch the game.

“We’re a Pittsburgh-based company, and so many of our team members are loyal Steelers fans,” said Kevin O’Connell, senior vice president of marketing for the restaurant chain. “We want them to have an opportunity to cheer on the Steelers with their family and friends.”

Eat’n Park is open 363 days a year, closing only for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It also closes early for Easter.

Scott Tady can be reached online at stady@timesonline.com.

TERMINAL FOUL: FRANCO GETS FACE-MASKED

The Franco Harris statue in Pittsburgh International Airport’s airside terminal has taken a beating over the years. And now, less than a week before the

Steelers’ seventh Super Bowl appearance, he has been face-masked.

“He looks like a player from the 1940s or ’50s,” said airport spokesman Jeff Martinelli of the face-maskless Franco. Martinelli said an unidentified woman took the face mask to an airport employee moments after knocking it off Franco’s helmet last week. It’s unclear what she was doing to knock off the face mask or whether she is an Arizona Cardinals fan, but Martinelli said there is no investigation.

“She felt bad. But people pose for photos with Franco all the time, and they put their arms around him, pull at his pads and pretend they’re ripping the ball out of his hands. He’s needed some repairs over the years,” Martinelli said. Staff from the Heinz History Center are expected to reattach the face mask in the coming days, Martinelli said. — Tom Fontaine, Times Staff

Cape Cod Steel Head
01-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Taking Monday off.

Steelers
01-28-2009, 09:04 PM
I don't have class 'til 12:30, so I'm good. Nice idea though. It should be a national holiday.

tyler289
01-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Don't have class until 12 PM, thank God. And it's an easy one.

stillers4me
01-28-2009, 09:19 PM
Already requested the morning off.

XxKnightxX
01-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Ummm I know it clearly states not to touch the damn statue. I felt like touching it when I saw it but man if it would of been me I would of been arrested, a big kid like me and they thought i was playing tackle football with it lol.

HometownGal
01-28-2009, 09:27 PM
That is pretty cool. I worked for lawyers most of my life and there is no way they would have ever allowed us to take the morning after the Super Bowl off. Of course they most likely would have strolled in at 1 PM or maybe not shown up at all. :mad:

I think it's wonderful of Eat 'N Park to be closing at 3 PM on Sunday so that all of their employees can watch the game. :thumbsup:

Guess I'll have to wait until Monday morning to get my Smiley cookie. :chuckle:

millwalldavey
01-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Eff that! PErsonal day baby!

Stu Pidasso
01-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Self employed. Like HELL I'm working Monday.

SteelersinCA
01-28-2009, 10:53 PM
That is pretty cool. I worked for lawyers most of my life and there is no way they would have ever allowed us to take the morning after the Super Bowl off. Of course they most likely would have strolled in at 1 PM or maybe not shown up at all. :mad:

I think it's wonderful of Eat 'N Park to be closing at 3 PM on Sunday so that all of their employees can watch the game. :thumbsup:

Guess I'll have to wait until Monday morning to get my Smiley cookie. :chuckle:

I'll let my staff come in early if they cheer for the Steelers!!

Statik
01-28-2009, 11:39 PM
As soon as the clock struck 0:00 of the Baltimore game, I shot an email to my boss/team letting them know that I will be off on Monday due to either excessive celebration or drinking the game off....

....it will be for excessive celebration.....going to be one hell of a hangover Monday.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/guid06/blitzburgh.gif

Big7BenHOF
01-28-2009, 11:41 PM
I wonder if those work for school...

kmsteelerwr15
01-29-2009, 12:33 AM
im skipping class that day, since ill be on my way back from NC

wardislord
01-29-2009, 12:36 AM
by the power of god and for no reason relating to the superbowl at all my 9:30 class is cancelled on monday....so no classes!!! but i'm a grad student so i still have to go into lab...but at whatever time i please :chuckle:

MACH1
01-29-2009, 12:40 AM
Self employed. Like HELL I'm working Monday.

Its good to be the king. :sofunny:

hindes204
01-29-2009, 01:32 AM
I am in the military so i'm pretty sure that slip wont work for me. I have training Monday morning too, so it will be impossible to get out of it...Luckily I am on the west coast so the game will be over at about 730...plenty of time to pass out and wake up monday morning

westcoastransplant
01-29-2009, 01:42 AM
Taking the day off as well to begin with. On my way back from my parents house, I'll probably stop and meet somre clients and try to close some deals, so I may try to get my day off back.

Galax Steeler
01-29-2009, 05:53 AM
I am taking a vacation day monday.

Tagg67
01-29-2009, 08:35 AM
I just printed my copy of the slip and I am giving it to my boss shortly.

Thanks.....:applaudit:

SteelMember
01-29-2009, 09:14 AM
There's work this Monday. :doh: