PDA

View Full Version : Holmes admits to selling drugs in his youth

wardislord
01-28-2009, 08:47 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9147940/Steelers'-Holmes-says-he-sold-drugs-as-youth?MSNHPHMA

....shocking?? not in my opinion. i'm just wondering how this will go over with the public.

tomiesteel
01-28-2009, 08:48 PM
hopefully those days are behind Him and He can move forward and win a super bowl MVP

Guttpuppy
01-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Non-news really but the media will run with it... seriously, this story isn't new from a professional athlete, just happens to be Tone.

Just shut-up and play.

HometownGal
01-28-2009, 09:17 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9147940/Steelers'-Holmes-says-he-sold-drugs-as-youth?MSNHPHMA

....shocking?? not in my opinion. i'm just wondering how this will go over with the public.

I don't much care what Santo did in his youth - hey - we all have done things when we were younger that we wish we wouldn't have done. I just don't think he used good judgment in standing on a world stage spilling his beans about something that has no effect on Sunday's game.

Most kids today are going to use drugs whether an athlete advises them against it or not. Peer pressure often prevails over good common sense, sadly.

MACH1
01-28-2009, 09:19 PM
I don't much care what Santo did in his youth - hey - we all have done things when we were younger that we wish we wouldn't have done. I just don't think he used good judgment in standing on a world stage spilling his beans about something that has no effect on Sunday's game.

Most kids today are going to use drugs whether an athlete advises them against it or not. Peer pressure often prevails over good common sense, sadly.

Its not like he's running for president. :rolleyes:

tony hipchest
01-28-2009, 09:20 PM
jerome bettis was a drug dealer. :hunch:

no big deal.

however, jerome did wait until after his sb win and retirement before admitting it. bad timing santonio. i know you said you wanted that escalade and mvp trophy, but after this, im pretty sure disney wont be wanting to host you no matter how well you may do in the game.

wardislord
01-28-2009, 09:24 PM
yeah i'm hoping most people will see it how you guys do.

TheSteelCurtain
01-28-2009, 09:25 PM
I agree. Not a big deal but admit to selling drugs in march when no one really cares. Better yet March of 2035

wardislord
01-28-2009, 09:25 PM
jerome bettis was a drug dealer. :hunch:

no big deal.

however, jerome did wait until after his sb win and retirement before admitting it. bad timing santonio. i know you said you wanted that escalade and mvp trophy, but after this, im pretty sure disney wont be wanting to host you no matter how well you may do in the game.

i'm also questioning the timing that this information was released to the general public. i mean wouldn't it have been better if he waited and made just a little less drama before the big game?

section514
01-28-2009, 09:35 PM
who cares!

tony hipchest
01-28-2009, 10:02 PM
i'm also questioning the timing that this information was released to the general public. i mean wouldn't it have been better if he waited and made just a little less drama before the big game?
while i hate the timing his reasoning seems honest and sound-

"I've only told three or four people about it," Holmes said Wednesday. "I feel it's time to share things. I'm on the biggest stage, everybody's going to be watching. I'm pretty sure some kids can get a feel for changing their lives and not doing those type of things, and can get an opportunity to get out of the ghetto, the 'hood, to be successful."

IAWarnerFan
01-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Everyone makes mistakes. As long as he's no longer doing it, it's not an issue.

Pitt$burgh$teeler$
01-28-2009, 10:06 PM
No Big Deal He Wuz YOung!!!!!! It HAs No Effort NoW

jjpro11
01-28-2009, 10:07 PM
his reasoning was pretty clear to me as to why he said it now.. i honestly dont have a problem with the timing.

lilyoder6
01-28-2009, 10:10 PM
he was just trying to make some bank.. it's all good since he is not selling anymore

Statik
01-28-2009, 10:44 PM
No biggie, I did the same thing when I was young....but then I grew up

Steelers
01-28-2009, 11:47 PM
OMG What else, underage drinking? :willy:

Preacher
01-29-2009, 12:11 AM
he was just trying to make some bank.. it's all good since he is not selling anymore

No biggie, I did the same thing when I was young....but then I grew up

OMG What else, underage drinking? :willy:

Sorry, I think all three of you are wrong.

It IS a big deal, it IS a big deal... and it IS MUCH worse than underage drinking. SHouldn't make light of it.

Do I think it is a big deal NOW? No. I am happy he made it out of the lifestyle. I have no problem with his timing, using this time to bring it to light and tell others they can make it out of that lifestyle.

I just don't understand how anyone can say drug dealing isn't a big deal . . .

unless you're saying the NEWS of it NOW isn't a big deal... if so then just ignore this post.

SC Steeler Steve
01-29-2009, 12:15 AM
My Goodness, if all the stupidity I was envolved in as a youngster/high schooler was held against me I wouldnt have a chance in hell. Its the ones that are constantly getting envolved in bad things that looks bad. I would hope Sanny has learned a valueable lesson after this seasons issues with the small amount of marijuana.

Galax Steeler
01-29-2009, 03:40 AM
I believe Holmes has matured alot since entering the nfl he did that as a kid I don't agree with it but I would say alot of us has done things that could have been alot worse when we were kids.

Steelers & I
01-29-2009, 05:22 AM
I believe Holmes has matured alot since entering the nfl he did that as a kid I don't agree with it but I would say alot of us has done things that could have been alot worse when we were kids.

Don't forget about the domestic violence arrest that occurred while he was a member of the Steelers. The charge was ultimately dismissed but it still showed that he hadn't quite yet grown up.

I think that Holmes has matured quite a bit over the past 2 seasons so I'll forgive and forget and hope that it's all behind him.

Preacher is right, no one should simply overlook drug dealing. Drug abuse is the biggest problem that the WORLD is facing today. It's the ROOT of "most" crime.

Preacher
01-29-2009, 05:29 AM

Don't forget about the domestic violence arrest that occurred while he was a member of the Steelers. The charge was ultimately dismissed but it still showed that he hadn't quite yet grown up.

I think that Holmes has matured quite a bit over the past 2 seasons so I'll forgive and forget and hope that it's all behind him.

Preacher is right, no one should simply overlook drug dealing. Drug abuse is the biggest problem that the WORLD is facing today. It's the ROOT of "most" crime.

Exactly. . . I give the kid a lot of props for maturing and growing up. Also for calling attention to the fact that a kid in that situation can come out of it. I just hope he now stays clean.

Steelcitygal87
01-29-2009, 05:42 AM

That is something that worries me about Holmes...his maturity. He is blessed in that he has enough good character guys around him, who I don't see letting him getting away with much. They will straighten him out if need be. He is such a good receiver and has the potential to be a great one. Hope he just always keeps that in mind and doesn't end up blowing what a great opportunity he has been given.

Go Steelers!!

markymarc
01-29-2009, 07:11 AM
Go figure someone making mistakes as a kid. I could care less what Holmes did as a kid and he is just trying to make something positive out of it now.

stillers4me
01-29-2009, 07:15 AM
What bothers me the most is that there are kids out there still today, doing stuff like this to help support their family. That makes me sad.

rbryan
01-29-2009, 08:33 AM
Why????

Why would you bring this up a few days before the biggest game of your life?

Candy coat it all you want. " We all did stupid things as a kid " etc....Some people just keep doing stupid things and Holmes is in that category. He's one more "mistake" away from being shown the door in the Burgh.

I see no positive message to the youth of America here, if anything it's the exact opposite. "Go ahead and sell drugs........you can still be a big success in the NFL" (As long as you have world class speed and can catch the football)

The_WARDen
01-29-2009, 08:35 AM
This is funny. It's no big deal because it's a Steeler right?

Let's say Ed Reed makes that statement or Randy Moss? It's still no big deal right?

:noidea:

stillers4me
01-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Why????

Why would you bring this up a few days before the biggest game of your life?

Candy coat it all you want. " We all did stupid things as a kid " etc....Some people just keep doing stupid things and Holmes is in that category. He's one more "mistake" away from being shown the door in the Burgh.

I see no positive message to the youth of America here, if anything it's the exact opposite. "Go ahead and sell drugs........you can still be a big success in the NFL" (As long as you have world class speed and can catch the football)

Yes.....you can screw up when you're young and still make something of your life if you care enough about yourself and your family to look into the mirror and change what you see. He did that when he was younger and again just this season. He knew he screwed up. He knew what he had to do. You don't see Chris Henry playing this Sunday, do you? That's what he is saying.

Steelerfreak58
01-29-2009, 08:47 AM
When did being honest about being young and dumb as a youth become a crime? Hell the kid is still a young guy and many young men make a ton of mistakes. Not to mention the fact that he now has a shit load of money to make bigger mistakes with an ever so watchful media eye just waiting for a misstep.

Hopefully he has learned lessons and will become a responsible adult and man. Time will tell and we are not his judges only his fans.

rbryan
01-29-2009, 08:48 AM
You're entitled to your opinion, even though its wrong.

And yes I do do see a bit of Chris Henry in Holmes, I guess you forgot already he got popped for weed earlier this year.

Trust me, Holmes isn't long for the city of Pittsburgh, theres a reason the FO drafted Sweed. The handwriting is on the wall.

T&B fan
01-29-2009, 08:50 AM

I don't think so .the world is faceing so many more things hunger and war to name only 2 . and the ROOT of most crime is poverty , inless you are on wallstreet then GREED is .....

stillers4me
01-29-2009, 08:50 AM
Sweed was drafted to compliment Holmes when Ward retires, not to replace Holmes.

Besides....Sweed is taller than Ward. :chuckle:

Steelcitygal87
01-29-2009, 08:55 AM
You're entitled to your opinion, even though its wrong.

And yes I do do see a bit of Chris Henry in Holmes, I guess you forgot already he got popped for weed earlier this year.

Trust me, Holmes isn't long for the city of Pittsburgh, theres a reason the FO drafted Sweed. The handwriting is on the wall.

Oh my goodness, you are certainly ready to throw him away and count him as a lost cause, aren't you? WOW. How you grow and mature has a lot to do with the environment you are in..he is in one now surrounded by quality, good character individuals...and an organization that will do whatever is in their means in order to help him become the best player and PERSON he can. :tt03::tt03:

I think you are being way too harsh on him.

rbryan
01-29-2009, 08:58 AM
Holmes is one more "honest, youthful mistake" away from being out of here.

I'm more disappointed at the fact that he's dumb enough to blurt something like this out the week of the SB moreso than the fact that he sold drugs. It's an indication that he still just doesn't get it.

fansince'76
01-29-2009, 09:07 AM
How you grow and mature has a lot to do with the environment you are in..he is in one now surrounded by quality, good character individuals...and an organization that will do whatever is in their means in order to help him become the best player and PERSON he can. :tt03::tt03:

I think you are being way too harsh on him.

He's been a member of the Steelers for 3 seasons, but that didn't prevent him from getting tagged earlier this season for driving around smoking blunts in his car. I agree with rbryan - one more eff-up and out he goes.

SteelerFanInATL
01-29-2009, 11:39 PM
He is not the first athlete and won't be the last to have this in their past. I respect the fact that he came out publicly about it. Especially after his incident in The Hill District during the end of 08. Heck, it could be a way to ease the blow and improve his image with the fans. Did he get rid of the dredlocks after that incident?????????

Benzbrother
01-30-2009, 12:19 AM
I agree. Not a big deal but admit to selling drugs in march when no one really cares. Better yet March of 2035

Not sure if anybody read the reason on why he did it now, but he said he wanted to come clean on the nation's biggest stage so that he could get his message across to troubled youth across the country. I really don't think its a big deal because he only offered it up as a way to reach out to kids in troubled neighborhoods. It would be a completely different story if the media just plain dug it up and exploited him on the nation's biggest stage...

jjpro11
01-30-2009, 01:20 AM
if you guys think he is the only player in the nfl, or maybe on his own team that sold drugs during their youth, then you need a serious wake up call.