PDA

View Full Version : Keisel earns more playing time.

clevestinks
12-31-2005, 07:45 AM
Saturday, December 31, 2005
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gaze

Defensive end Brett Keisel doesn't receive much playing time, other than special teams. Nonetheless, he has a chance to lead all defensive linemen in sacks and possibly ensure an even greater role in the defense in 2006.

Keisel had two of the eight sacks in the Steelers' 41-0 victory Sunday in Cleveland to give him three for the season. That leaves him just a half-sack behind defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen, who leads the linemen, heading into tomorrow's 1 p.m. game against Detroit (5-10) at Heinz Field.

Keisel's sacks against the Browns came in non-blitz situations. He sacked Browns quarterback Charlie Frye in the second quarter when the Steelers were rushing just three players and dropped him again in the fourth quarter on a four-man rush.

"It's big when you don't have pressure coming and you're able to make something happen like that," said Keisel, a seventh-round draft choice in 2002. "It's an advantage to our team and it was fun doing it."

That performance might have bought Keisel more playing time against the Lions and could have ensured an expanded role next season with the defense, which is ranked No. 3 in the NFL

clevestinks
12-31-2005, 07:47 AM
Three sacks may not seem like a whole lot, but considering the role of our defensive linemen, in a 3-4 . Its pretty good. I would still like a big time pass rusher defensive linemen. Someone who needs accounted for by th eoffense, and can really get to the qb, this would really let our lb fly around even more/

SteelCityMan786
12-31-2005, 09:37 AM
The Diesel should have a ball sacking Harrington. Sorta Like Porter did last week. And I see Joey Doing the same. Kicking Up More Grass.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-31-2005, 11:29 AM
Its good to know we've got such good depth on our DL, and Keisel will definatley push for more time especially next season.

BB2W
12-31-2005, 11:56 AM
This is great news... I've been wanting to see more of Keisel. :cool:

clevestinks
12-31-2005, 01:48 PM
I think Keisel was due to play an extended amount tomorrow no matter what, to give the big guys some rest, although he may be turning into one of those starters.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-31-2005, 01:55 PM
He's a priority to resign before he hits FA too.

Stlrs4Life
12-31-2005, 02:31 PM
It'll be interesting to see if we keep both Keisel and Kimo. They are both FA next year. I'd like to keep both. Kimo for a little less, and as a back up to Keisel.

TasmanianTroy271
12-31-2005, 03:17 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Cowher didn't like Kiesel playing Kimo's position, but I don't see what the big difference would be. I hope Kimo restructures, and instead of shuffling Kirschke and Kiesel in with Aaron and Kimo, shuffle in Kimo and Kirschke with Aaron and Kiesel. But then again, there's all these people calling for a DE on the first day of the draft, and I'm willing to bet we won't keep 6 DE's including Nua.

Steelerbabe28
01-01-2006, 09:47 AM
The Diesel should have a ball sacking Harrington. Sorta Like Porter did last week. And I see Joey Doing the same. Kicking Up More Grass.

Keisel the diesel. I like it ! :bouncy:

I hope we keep him also. I thought I heard in the bar a few weeks back that Kimo will probably retire after the season? Or maybe I had to many Tequila shots :blurp: