PDA

View Full Version : Plax is going, going, ...

ironcitychef
02-23-2005, 12:11 AM
Since we didn't franchise him, then he will become a free agent. Someone will pay(BAL?) for him, but do we just stay happy with Randle El? I have two theories.

One, we will be fine because we are only throwing the ball 25 times a game. Why pay for someone who has only caught four-five balls a game on average. Give El a chance to be a game breaker despite his size and save the money. Hand off to Duce and dump off to the TE's(maybe a new one in the draft) to control the clock again.

Second, we are in for a long year. Say Bettis decides to retire leaving us Duce(injuries w/35-40 carries a game)?), and Haynes(FA??) as tested players. No serious deep threat allows teams to not stack the line per say, but use the nickel LB set that NE exposed us on to show that we are one dimentional. Just like when teams used the spread offense to consistently beat us, teams will use a mix of extra LBs to stuff the run while providing enough zone coverage to negate the pass and still confuse Ben.

I am leaning toward the we still need balance theory of a deep threat. We have not gotten the Super Bowl win by running alone. And when we tried just passing with Tommy we were not that hot. I am waiting for traditional PIT free agency to provide us a band aid player(Mathis like?) while we pick a rookie from a deep WR draft. Plus Mays has shown some sparkle last year, but could he progress a little faster?

clevestinks
02-23-2005, 02:00 PM
how about Derrick Mason, he said he wants to play for a team with a chance to win right away

JerseySTEEL
02-23-2005, 08:20 PM
as to the running game i like the kid we picked up parker nice size and great speed. And one thing i love about Duce he carryis ppl to were he wants to be , love it when a player gives it anthior couple yards.i also dont think well be running as much as we did this year bc we need to let ben grow this year , with soem more passing. iam not saying lets pass 35 times a game just more then we did last year.

ironcitychef
02-23-2005, 10:05 PM
Mason is rumored to be on his way to NYJ since Moss is going to OAK. Besides I think that Mason is more of the same. Mays and El could do just as well and deserve the shot.

SteelersFever
02-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Personally, I wish he would have stayed. He's a star WR. It's going to be hard to replace his size, speed and intimidating deep threat presence. Someone is going to pay big bucks for him.

I found this picture... I think it explains it all.

clevestinks
02-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Here in cleveland the rumor is that Kevin Johnson is plannning on visiting the Steelers, please say it isn`t so

ironcitychef
02-25-2005, 09:28 AM
Mike great pic. I don't see the Steelers letting their hand slip unti the rework money on everybody else. By then it may be too late to get Burress back as Baltimore can't go after Moss but may want to keep Coles in the beltway. Then we either draft or buy whats left on the market.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-25-2005, 01:13 PM
Unless Plax has a change of heart, he won't be givng the Steelers a chance to match an offer he'll get from Atlanta, SanDiego, Balt., etc. I wish he would have stayed too. OUr trio was the best in the league. El will fill in nicely, but look for the Steelers to get a WR inthe draft if nothing decent becomes available in FA until then.

ironcitychef
02-26-2005, 11:04 PM
So Moss goes to OAK, and Musin goes to CHI, Coles and Moss don't go anywhere, Mason could go to Baltimore, ...does anyone else get the feeling Plax may just want to come back to us? He does live next door to Ben. They have to be talking about what is going on?

clevestinks
02-27-2005, 06:26 AM
I think he may want to, but at what price, I believe he thinks he`s better than he really is.

ironcitychef
03-01-2005, 12:22 AM
I think the difference is this. He got drafted and got paid like a number one receiver. Till now though he hasn't produced like one. Granted we run more than anyone, so if he went to St. Louis it might be different. Anyhow, he will soon find out first string money is hard to come by. He just has to decide where he wants to sign to get the highest second tier salary.

JerseySTEEL
03-02-2005, 10:23 PM
iam realt shocked that plax hasent made a deal yet in FA its been 1 day but he was 3rd best Wr going into FA, behing moss, and mason. and i still whish he would stay .

ironcitychef
03-03-2005, 10:06 AM
Yeah spots are filling up...CIN kept TJ so, there is no spot there. MIN might still be the place but its slim pickings now.

clevestinks
03-03-2005, 12:15 PM
He may come back with his tail between his legs, good receiver, not one of the elite though

JerseySTEEL
03-03-2005, 04:18 PM
hes a great num 2 but he doesnt have blazen speed for num1 .

BlitzburghRockCity
03-05-2005, 10:28 AM
The vikings seem like a team that would fit plax well. they throw ALOT, which he likes, and they need a big WR to help fill the void that Moss left.

clevestinks
03-06-2005, 07:48 AM
Dante may throw it out there, and Plax may not catch up to it. Not Moss when it comes to speed, and Dante can put it out there.

ironcitychef
03-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Plax will still be mad because he wont be the #1 guy in MINN either. Nate Burlson already broke through last year.

JerseySTEEL
03-06-2005, 09:02 PM
see plax i dont even think he has great hands, ( memory comes back AFC champ game 04 hes going out wide in the nzone ben throws it up right to him hits both hands and drops it?) wakes up form bad dream >:)

BlitzburghRockCity
03-07-2005, 01:20 AM
he's visiting the Giants this week.

Personally, I'd rather play for Big Ben, than Eli ..but hey, thats just me.

clevestinks
03-07-2005, 02:11 PM
Yah, ESPN reporting Plax will visit today, giants

BlitzburghRockCity
03-07-2005, 03:14 PM
and now pretty much gone...

http://steelersfever.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1306#post1306

JerseySTEEL
03-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Plax is being very pickie towards his new home,it might cost him alot.

clevestinks
03-08-2005, 03:13 PM
He better not be to picky

JerseySTEEL
03-08-2005, 03:19 PM
i hope the basterds greadscrews him, dam kid wants glory more then anything and those are the one swho dont get the glory.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Im sure he's whining as we speak becuz he wanted a payout of atleast double what the giants are offering..

JerseySTEEL
03-08-2005, 03:56 PM
ya but not a num1 spot hehe.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-08-2005, 04:05 PM
w/ Toomer and Hilliard both nearly gone now.. Plax will be the man he wanted to be..but can he handle it..only time will tell. I just dont know..he's always had potential, but never consistent year in and year out, like Ward is.

JerseySTEEL
03-08-2005, 04:15 PM
hillard is goen got rid of him next week, and toomar will be no1 this year if plax goes there so plax will prob still have that on his hsoulders. he still wotn get a no1 next yera if he goes there.

BlitzburghRockCity
03-08-2005, 04:16 PM
yeah ur right, my bad... but Ive heard Hilliard is none to happy w/ the way tom coughlin runs the team, so thats not good either. more friction

JerseySTEEL
03-08-2005, 04:17 PM
the whole teama t one point didnt like tim , and frankly i dotn either lol and plus alot of gaints fans i talk to sya they dont like him either.

ironcitychef
03-08-2005, 11:40 PM
Well, with Wilson here, Plax only has a few teams to choose from. But it will come down to which team he can save face with. Wanted 10 million in bonus, and it isn't happening. So does he suck it up and go to NY( or MIN for even less) or does he say don't insult me I'd rather play for a winner for less and resign with PIT? Colbert has still said we have not said no, but instead just havent offered him anything yet.

JerseySTEEL
03-08-2005, 11:45 PM
iam thinksanfran might steal him just me but they ahve the money and the need.

ironcitychef
03-08-2005, 11:48 PM
SF still needs to decide who will throw the ball...horse before the cart gentlemen.

JerseySTEEL
03-08-2005, 11:51 PM
well iam one of the only ppl who like rattay he threw a 400 yard gam wiht no oen to throw to. and with all the QB in the draft coming out id wait ayear for matt then drfat oen of these jokes.

ironcitychef
03-09-2005, 12:28 AM
What do you mean no one to throw to? He had the best kept secret in the game...Cedrick Wilson! [now a proud member of your AFC North Champion Pittsburgh Steelers] Besides in that 400 yard game, if it wasn't for Wilson drawing massive double teams and coverge, Eric Johnson would have never caught 13 balls. And Wilson still managed a workman like 4 catches 43 yards.[Notes that when you only sign one guy every off season yo better be excited about him]

JerseySTEEL
03-09-2005, 10:53 AM
hehe good hype on wilson ;)

clevestinks
03-09-2005, 02:14 PM
It would be nice to see Plax come back with his tail between his legs, doubtful,

BlitzburghRockCity
03-09-2005, 02:16 PM
It wouldnt be the first time a player tested FA and came back.. most recently deshea townsend..and he's turning out quite well as a starter.

Good points about wilson, and his speed.. a 4.4 forty is something we havent had on our offense in a long time.

clevestinks
03-09-2005, 02:24 PM
4.4 probably since Dwight Stone "hands"

BlitzburghRockCity
03-09-2005, 02:38 PM
u know, i was just thinking that..we've always drafted WR's for hands, route running ability, and toughness, over speed...so this will be a nice aquistion for us.

ironcitychef
03-09-2005, 11:18 PM
New rules = new receivers. The NFL is now going way of "The Fast and The Furious" You don't need height to catch the ball. You need distance from the DB's. Plax never had it. Now we can stretch the field. Not that we haven't had speed guys before, but this guy has proven he can understand a NFL playbook, and his numbers almost match the guy leaving.

JerseySTEEL
03-09-2005, 11:36 PM
hey i remeber EL in the gaints game gettign down in the REdzone he just leaps up and grabs the ball . was lovign it.

ironcitychef
03-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Ben's big arm + speedy WR's...I see plenty of ten yard button hooks and outs to move the ball up and down the field. Then whe yo try to jump the routes, the burn you or double move and go deep. Maybe Ben could be a fantasy QB stud.

JerseySTEEL
03-10-2005, 01:44 AM
ya i agree ben can zip the ball ina dn do soem in then outs for 1st downs speed things up and slow them down witht h run.