PDA

View Full Version : Nearly half of all Americans want to live elsewhere, study finds

SteelersMongol
01-29-2009, 09:01 PM
(CNN) -- Nearly half of Americans would like to live someplace else, according to a national survey.

And Denver, Colorado, was the top choice of people surveyed by the Pew Research Center.

Yes Denver, with its low humidity, eight professional sports teams and proximity to the Rocky Mountains.

Forty-three percent of those surveyed said they'd prefer living in the Mile-High City. San Diego and Seattle were other top locales among the nation's largest 30 metropolitan areas.

Detroit, Cleveland and Cincinnati were the least favorite.

The study released Thursday asked people where they'd prefer to live, whether they favor cities or suburbs, and what they think about American cities.

Researchers polled 2,260 adults during telephone interviews.

The study also found that Republicans would like to live in Phoenix and Democrats prefer San Francisco.

The survey also found that more men than women would like to live in Las Vegas. Men living in rural areas said they are much happier living there than women. Most people who live in cities said they'd rather live someplace else.

Some of the most and least popular cities in the survey:

Most Popular:

Denver (43 percent)

San Diego (40 percent)

Seattle (38 percent)

Orlando (34 percent)

San Francisco (34 percent)

Tampa (34 percent)

Least Popular

Detroit (8 percent)

Cleveland (10 percent)

Cincinnati (13 percent)

Kansas City (15 percent)

Minneapolis (16 percent)

Pittsburgh (17 percent)

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/01/29/liveable.cities/index.html?imw=Y&iref=mpstoryemail

Pittsburgh 17%? :confused: Must B bunch of Browns fans who R living in Pittsburgh.

devilsdancefloor
01-29-2009, 09:27 PM
right now i wouldbe happy to live where it was warmer and not 1.5' of snow lol

mikecramer43026
02-02-2009, 12:29 AM
The grass is always greener... at least for half of us!

I am very happy anywhere I live. It's all about making the most of it... Just look at that last Steelers drive in SB XLIII.

:tt03:

KeiselPower99
02-02-2009, 01:50 AM
Im considering moving to a bigger city to find work and Pittsburgh has come to mind several times.

Crushzilla
02-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Unfortunately, I am realizing this as an inevitability.

I graduated from college in December and I'm probably leaving in May.

Pennsylvania trains more teachers than they can hire, so I'm probably going to have to leave to find some experience and come back in a few years

In fact, I am leaving in 30 minutes to go take the GREs (Graduate Record Exams? I think? haha). I know... who schedules these things the day after the Super Bowl :banging:

I'll be wearing my Holmes jersey and sporting my championship hat.

Notre Dame is willing to give me a Masters degree if I'm willing to work in one of their private schools, however.

Ironically, I may be going to Denver for a few years (stock the bar, Gary!) :drink:

Pittsburgh has had a declining population for as long as I can remember...

T.Richardson
02-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Pittsburgh lost like 50% of its population since the 70's, thats probably the reason. Pretty surprising Baltimore isnt on the least popular.

kittenfantastico76
02-02-2009, 11:59 AM
My suggestion to the people the are unhappy about where they are living... stop crying about it, doing surveys and move somewhere... duh!

I love living where I do currently (Florence, AL) but I miss Maryland with a passion (minus dealing with Ravens fans of course - I can deal with passionate fans all day long, just not the crying!)

SteelCityKing
02-02-2009, 12:06 PM
what the hell would be wrong with living in Pittsburgh as opposed to DENVER!? big whoop...lower humidty and 8 pro teams!? who cares!? we get the same annual snowfall as the tippy top of Mt. McKinley and we've got THREE really good teams. well, not REALLY good...*cough*Pirates*cough*. but we do alright for ourselves. =)

kittenfantastico76
02-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Pittsburgh lost like 50% of its population since the 70's, thats probably the reason. Pretty surprising Baltimore isnt on the least popular.

It's probably because all things considered, Baltimore is a beautiful town and a great place to live... Safe for being a Steelers fan during football season of course. :wink:

SteelCityKing
02-02-2009, 12:19 PM
It's probably because all things considered, Baltimore is a beautiful town and a great place to live... Safe for being a Steelers fan during football season of course. :wink:

agreed, Baltimore IS a beautiful city. too bad it smells like crab shit and seagull farts all day! haha! -- my Uncle Jim lives there and he says that he enjoys the city, but it's far from being safe. he said it's a very violent city in the inner city and ghetto parts of town and it's a very dirty city. drugs, crime, poverty all day long. i mean, haven't you watched "The Wire!?" haha!

i DO enjoy the city...for being a tourist. the ESPN Funzone is awesome. i honestly think Pittsburgh should get one of those on the North Shore. haha!

T.Richardson
02-02-2009, 12:27 PM
what the hell would be wrong with living in Pittsburgh as opposed to DENVER!? big whoop...lower humidty and 8 pro teams!? who cares!? we get the same annual snowfall as the tippy top of Mt. McKinley and we've got THREE really good teams. well, not REALLY good...*cough*Pirates*cough*. but we do alright for ourselves. =)

Pirates will win the world series this year. You'll see! :wink02:

T.Richardson
02-02-2009, 12:29 PM

But Pittsburgh is also a beautiful city, and its on the list! Also, im pretty sure Baltimore is a crime infested city.

kittenfantastico76
02-02-2009, 01:48 PM
But Pittsburgh is also a beautiful city, and its on the list! Also, im pretty sure Baltimore is a crime infested city.

Yeah, as with any major city there's crime.. that's a fact. For every bad part there is a ton of good parts though. I'd live there in a heartbeat... and yell loud and proud my love for the Steelers - I KNOW I wouldn't be completely alone. I have no doubt Pitt is beautiful! I hope to visit there soon! :thumbsup:

kittenfantastico76
02-02-2009, 01:54 PM
agreed, Baltimore IS a beautiful city. too bad it smells like crab shit and seagull farts all day! haha! -- my Uncle Jim lives there and he says that he enjoys the city, but it's far from being safe. he said it's a very violent city in the inner city and ghetto parts of town and it's a very dirty city. drugs, crime, poverty all day long. i mean, haven't you watched "The Wire!?" haha!

i DO enjoy the city...for being a tourist. the ESPN Funzone is awesome. i honestly think Pittsburgh should get one of those on the North Shore. haha!

MMM Crab DooDoo! It's an acquired taste :wink:

Yeah... it has the good and the bad. Fells Point is my favorite place in town but it's not without it's share of poverty and crime. Like I said, like most major cities. I feel better about being in Baltimore vs. Washington DC but most tell me I should feel the opposite. I think it's because I know my way around Baltimore from going to school out that way vs. not really knowing much about how to get around in DC/Georgetown, at least not as well as I should, for living close to there for 20 some years.

SamUK
02-02-2009, 04:41 PM
"Researchers polled 2,260 adults during telephone interviews."

Im sorry... that really aint a big enough survey to really divuldge any meaningful information.... With only 2,000 people being interviewed, by telephone they could have rung people up in stratigic area to get whatever results they want.

Next....

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2009, 05:03 PM

Doesnt Baltimore have a high murder rate?...............or did I just watch too much Homicide: Life on the Streets in the '90's? :chuckle:

I think that survey is flawed. Most people wanna get out of the 'hood and live in a house that was on "Cribs" in Denver.