PDA

View Full Version : Friend: Steelers' Larry Foote wants to play for Lions

SteelersMongol
01-29-2009, 10:27 PM
TAMPA — Could linebacker Larry Foote leave the Pittsburgh Steelers for his hometown Lions?

“He wants to come back here,” said Brian Blackburn, a friend of Foote’s. “This is the last year of his contract, and he wants to come back here and play for the Lions for about four years and call it quits after that.”

When Foote was a student at Detroit Pershing, Blackburn was the offensive and defensive line coach and ran the weight room. They still lift together occasionally in the off-season and keep in touch throughout the year.

Blackburn said Foote told him of his future plans the last time they spoke. Told it is hard to believe that any NFL player, especially one playing in the Super Bowl, wants to play for the Lions, Blackburn laughed.

“He does,” Blackburn said. “He’ll take it. He wants to get something set up in the Detroit area for inner-city kids. He’s got as real desire to work with kids. As a matter of fact, I tried to get him to come to my son’s school at Warren Cousino and speak to the kids, and he said, ‘I’ve got to go in the city first and speak to them.’”

Foote also told Blackburn that he wants coach, but not at the college or pro level. Foote played in college at Michigan.

“He wants to coach Pershing,’’ Blackburn said.

Foote was not asked about the Lions today. But asked whether this could be his last season with the Steelers, even though he is signed for 2009, he said: “It could possibly be that way. We’re running out of room here on this team. Hopefully, we’ll see what happens in the off-season.”

For two years, Foote has held off first-round pick Lawrence Timmons for a starting job.

“But he’s showing what he can do,” Foote said. “He’s definitely the future of this team. We’ll just see what happens.”

http://www.freep.com/article/20090129/SPORTS01/90129091/1049/rss14

Can't blame him 4 trying 2 help out the kids in Detroit area. But why would he want 2 play 4 the Lions? He's a Steeler, & he knows it.

JackHammer
01-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Two words: Lawrence Timmons. Foote wants to be a starter.

Steeldude
01-30-2009, 12:23 AM
Can't blame him 4 trying 2 help out the kids in Detroit area. But why would he want 2 play 4 the Lions? He's a Steeler, & he knows it.

foote knows he is going to benched soon. i doubt the steelers were going to re-sign him anyway.

it's great news for the steelers if he wants to leave for detroit. timmons will be an upgrade.

The Duke
01-30-2009, 12:41 AM
Foote could get a huge contract there. Player from the #1 defense in the league, still at a fairly young age. But I like his intentions, just helping out

Timmons seems more than ready to start

And then it's when mike humpal hopefully steps up as a backup :hope:

MasterOfPuppets
01-30-2009, 12:44 AM
tade him for detroits 3rd rd pick....:we'd have back to back picks !!!t ... git er done colbert !!! :tt03: then draft scott mckillop with the second 3rd ....dude is a tackling machine....

jjpro11
01-30-2009, 12:51 AM
lets see... he will have possibly 2 ring, a chance to cash out, and the opportunity to play for his hometown team with a retirement plan in place.. can anyone blame him? timmons is the future, he admitted that himself earlier this year.

hindes204
01-30-2009, 01:11 AM
I dont blame him at all, hes knows timmons is the future, and hes was born and raised in detroit....he has one ring already and hopefully another on sunday....he will get paid big in detroit, so i say go, get paid, and retire in your hometown

steelreserve
01-30-2009, 01:19 AM
Well, good for him. But I hope Foote at least plays out his contract next year, if for no other reason than it would be nice to keep the kind of depth we have right now. If Foote's gone and Timmons is the starter, I'm not terribly confident we have any capable backup LBs either inside or outside. And who knows, maybe he can walk away with three Super Bowl rings.

Preacher
01-30-2009, 02:14 AM
I have a feeling that wasn't EXACTLY what was said.

I bet the conversation was something more like. . . "IF I end up becoming a free-agent, I would like to come back to Detriot. . . ."

"That Timmons kid is good, they probably wouldn't resign me, or maybe even trade me, it woudl be nice to go to Detroit, both for me and for the team... In Detroit, I could. . . "

Galax Steeler
01-30-2009, 03:46 AM
I think that gos to show you that Timmons will be starting next year Timmons , Woodley , Harrison what is our sack total going to be next year.

KeiselPower99
01-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Larry has been a good LB for us since he took over for Kendrell Bell. He is still decently young and Detroit could use a good middle lb. If he is gone in which case it looks like he will be I wish him the best of luck.

Pi Kapp Steeler
01-30-2009, 10:49 AM

Thank you Jack Hammer, Timmons is going to be a beast.

CanadianSteel
01-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Foote has been a solid and underated LB throughout his Steeler career. I have no problems with the comments except for the timing. maybe Larry you could wait until the offseason to spew this stuff as we have a game to play Sunday. (And Yes I know it was a friend who was quoted in teyh article>>>)

Stlrs4Life
01-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Well, good for him. But I hope Foote at least plays out his contract next year, if for no other reason than it would be nice to keep the kind of depth we have right now. If Foote's gone and Timmons is the starter, I'm not terribly confident we have any capable backup LBs either inside or outside. And who knows, maybe he can walk away with three Super Bowl rings.

I agree. It wouldn't hurt Timmons to play the same role next season.

fansince'76
01-30-2009, 01:28 PM
it's great news for the steelers if he wants to leave for detroit. timmons will be an upgrade.

I agree - I think Timmons represents the same kind of upgrade over Foote that Woodley has been over Haggans.

Burghfan58
01-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Timmons is too good to keep off the field. That being said, I beleive this was Larrys best season as a Steeler.:thumbsup:

Potsie
01-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Larry Foote lives pretty close to me, and I go to high school with his son, granted he's a few years younger than I am. He's been telling me since before the season started how his dad wants to play for Detroit..

HometownGal
01-30-2009, 03:44 PM
I really like Larry Foote a lot, but if he has the opportunity to live out his dream, I say go for it Larry! :drink: He's done a very good job here, but he knows his time here as a starter is limited due to the emergence of Timmons.

I, too, really hope he plays out his contract as a professional athlete should.

goLERS
01-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Timmons is going to be SCARY good once he has this defense down to a science. SCARY good. That dude is an athletic freak.

AllD
01-30-2009, 04:20 PM
If he goes to Detroit, he could be passing up a trip to repeat and/or the HOF. You stay in the Burgh and you have a better chance of making it to both places. Look at history. It would be interesting to see what Randal El and Fanacea would have to say on the subject.

HometownGal
01-30-2009, 05:01 PM
P.S. Let me also add that I don't feel it was Larry's pal's place to make such a profound statement like that. When and if LF decides to leave the team, it is HIS place to so state and no one else's. With friends like that - who needs enemies? :doh:

Preacher
01-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Wow, i just thought of a number that made me pee in my pants...

Here ya go!

http://celebritybabies.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/01/13/pamperscruisers.jpg

:chuckle:

Preacher
01-30-2009, 07:43 PM
I don't know how much higher the sack total will go. ILB's are more coverage backers than rushers. Though they do rush a bit.

KeiselPower99
01-30-2009, 08:34 PM
Timmons had 5 sacks in limited duty. I like what Stan Savran said about Timmons that he reminded him of Kendrell Bell in the good way before Bell turned to complete shit.

The Duke
01-30-2009, 09:09 PM
I don't know how much higher the sack total will go. ILB's are more coverage backers than rushers. Though they do rush a bit.

Just what I was thinking

I have a feeling that when he does becomes a starter he's going to be less of a blitzer. He'll get his sacks, no doubt about that, but not the way he is now. He is basically a speedster blitzing, as a starter he needs more than that

His ints could go up though :thumbsup:

SC Steeler Steve
01-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Well if this be the case I woud like to say thank you to Foote for being a Steeler and for being a good Steeler. He will be missed in my book but if its time to move on then its time to move on. :tt03:

steelerdave1969
01-30-2009, 09:45 PM

I think you said it the best it can be said about Foote. He has been a good if not great LB for the Steelers and I wish him the best wherever he ends up. The Steelers cant keep TImmons off the field much longer though, the guy is super fast and the Steelers defense needs that.

steelerdave1969
01-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Timmons had 5 sacks in limited duty. I like what Stan Savran said about Timmons that he reminded him of Kendrell Bell in the good way before Bell turned to complete shit.

Kendrel Bell was a great athelete until the ankle injury that cost him most of the last little bit of time with the Steelers. I dont think he was shit at all myself, just had an injury that was obviously alot worst than thought to be.

markymarc
01-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Larry Foote has been very solid this year and if that is his dream then I would wish him well. Also, Foote is smart enough to realize that Timmons will be the starter next year. Timmons brings a lot more to the position and needs to be out there on a full time basis.

Preacher
01-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Kendrel Bell was a great athelete until the ankle injury that cost him most of the last little bit of time with the Steelers. I dont think he was shit at all myself, just had an injury that was obviously alot worst than thought to be.

Actually, it was a sports hernia that got him.