PDA

View Full Version : All 177 Republicans voted NO for stimulus

hindes204
01-30-2009, 02:25 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01/28/house-vote-obamas-economic-stimulus-plan/

I think this was a great stand by republicans showing their reservations over this almost trillion dollar stimulus plan full of things that have nothing to do with the economy, i.e. global warning research...hopefully the senate will get rid of all of the unnecessary spending in this bill. I applaud the republicans for sticking to their ideals

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-30-2009, 02:53 AM
Not to mention the fact that we don't have a trillion dollars lying around somewhere. We would have to print MORE Monopoly money and drive inflation up even more.

Preacher
01-30-2009, 03:06 AM
Not to mention the fact that we don't have a trillion dollars lying around somewhere. We would have to print MORE Monopoly money and drive inflation up even more.

And that is what so is so screwy, we are in a DEFLATIONARY cycle right now. Gas prices have stabilized. Home prices are dropping. Interest rates are even historically LOWER. . .

Yet, as you aptly state, we are pumping money into the economy which should be driving up inflation.

Makes me wonder what is going to happen when people release their death-grip on the money they have. Seems to me we will hit a BIG inflationary blip. That will probably drive up the fed rate by a few points, which will re-hit the housing market.

BEyond all that, it will probably happen in an election year (do we NOT have an election year anymore?) and Obama-dems will get blamed for that economy, just like Bush-repubs were blamed for the last, though in reality, it is so convuluted that really, no one and everyone is to blame.

XxKnightxX
01-30-2009, 04:18 AM
Even as a Deomcratic supporter I found that bill to be just plain stupid, I was listening to the hundreds or millions of dollars proposed on spending just on ridicolous things.

TroysBadDawg
01-30-2009, 07:58 AM
Republican lawmakers are raising concerns that ACORN, the low-income advocacy group under investigation for voter registration fraud, could be eligible for billions in aid from the economic stimulus proposal working its way through the House.

House Republican Leader John Boehner issued a statement over the weekend noting that the stimulus bill wending its way through Congress provides $4.19 billion for "neighborhood stabilization activities."

So is this for pay off for votes?

HometownGal
01-30-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm glad to see that the GOP stood firm on this, as well. Obama's stimulus plan is outrageous imho.

From Nancy Pelosi:

"The Republicans are talking about process. I think when you lose the argument on substance, on policy, what do you do? You talk about process and you talk about personality," she said.

Practice what you preach Snaggletooth.

X-Terminator
01-30-2009, 09:08 AM
An "economic stimulus" bill with billions of dollars worth of pork and kickbacks attached to it. What a shocker. :coffee:

I said when Obama got elected that everyone should just bend over and grab their ankles, because we were about to receive a royal screwjob in the name of "fixing the economy." If you thought spending was out of control under Bush (and I certainly do), you haven't seen anything yet.

KeiselPower99
01-30-2009, 09:27 AM
I love how everytime Al Gore talks about global warming there is always a snow storm around D.C. I know what will fix the economy.....lower taxes and JOBS!!!!!

T&B fan
01-30-2009, 09:34 AM
I am sure we all have forgoten that 700 opps I mean 860 billon that was pissed away under the republicans. and I am not a Deomcratic . this is just more of the same ... :banging: it seams as some thing is in the water in DC.

kittenfantastico76
01-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Even as a Deomcratic supporter I found that bill to be just plain stupid, I was listening to the hundreds or millions of dollars proposed on spending just on ridicolous things.

I'm an Independent and I have to say, I look at both sides and I felt the same way... I'm trying to look at this slump in the economy as a way to teach myself to be a wise spender, a saver and not ... [going to read the rest of the opinions and points on this thread - it's all about education in the matter].

revefsreleets
01-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Meanwhile, Paul Krugman keeps talking about how we need MORE money dumped into this, not less.

Dino 6 Rings
01-30-2009, 12:45 PM
The biggest farse is calling this Bill a "Stimulus" Bill.

Its a spending bill. It isn't a Stimulus bill at all. Its nothing but more Federal Government Spending. 1 trillion dollars.

Wow, just freaking wow.

11 Democrats voted against it as well. That's something.

xfl2001fan
01-30-2009, 12:53 PM
I am sure we all have forgoten that 700 opps I mean 860 billon that was pissed away under the republicans. and I am not a Deomcratic . this is just more of the same ... :banging: it seams as some thing is in the water in DC.

Under the Republicans? Or under a Republican President who served with a Democratic majority Congress? Or is there a timeline you're thinking about that I'm reading wrong?

It's more of the same because it's still a Democratic Congress (albeit one with a larger voice at this time) IMO. Obama could decide to move as far right as he wanted to...and we'll still be facing these issues.

That's not to say that Republicans are blameless (far FAR far from it.)

revefsreleets
01-30-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't have huge problem with some of the infrastructure stuff...it needs doing one way or another, but a lot of the junk in there is ridiculous.

No surprise, though...we have a liberal president rubber stamping a Democratically led Congress, and they have an excuse to spend, spend, spend...who DIDN'T see this coming?

IronFan
02-05-2009, 06:21 PM
Hey Nancy Pelosi... I'm just gonna buy guns with mine.

TroysBadDawg
02-09-2009, 09:57 PM
if you divide the money they want to give away to stimulate the economy by the number of tax payers we would all get over $200,00.00. SO we pay taxes on it and pay off bills buy the things we wanted, would that stimulate the economy, instead of throwing down the money pit?

MACH1
02-10-2009, 12:36 AM
if you divide the money they want to give away to stimulate the economy by the number of tax payers we would all get over $200,00.00. SO we pay taxes on it and pay off bills buy the things we wanted, would that stimulate the economy, instead of throwing down the money pit?

You don't want that you'd rather have a Frisbee golf course to the tune of $886,000 while creating four(4) jobs.
This should fix the economy, look at all those jobs it created. Whether temp or permanent jobs?

Austin, Texas Building a 36-hole disc golf course $886,000 (4)
Boynton Beach, Fla. Development of an "eco park" with butterfly garden $4.5 million (50)
Virginia Beach, Va. Replacement tennis courts $1.8 million (38)
Shreveport, La. Purchase of eight police-equipped Harley-Davidson motorcycles $150,000 (1)
Chula Vista, Calif. Construction of a dog park $500,000 (7)

Las Vegas, which by some accounts already glitters, wants $2 million for neon signs.

Boynton Beach, Fla., is looking for $4.5 million for an "eco park" featuring butterfly gardens and gopher tortoises.

And Chula Vista, Calif., would like $500,000 to create a place for dogs to run off the leash.

These are among 18,750 projects listed in "Ready to Go," the U.S. Conference of Mayors' wish list for funding from the stimulus bill moving through Congress. The group asked cities and towns to suggest "shovel ready" projects for the report, which it gave to Congress and the Obama administration.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123369271403544637.html

hindes204
02-10-2009, 01:21 AM
Like i said before, spending is about to get out of control

tony hipchest
02-10-2009, 01:21 AM
we would all get over $200,00.00.

does... not.... compute....

we could also take about $1400 and give it to every person on earth. :noidea:

You don't want that you'd rather have a Frisbee golf course to the tune of $886,000 while creating four(4) jobs.
This should fix the economy, look at all those jobs it created. Whether temp or permanent jobs?

what we really need is more bridges to nowhere.... :flap:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123369271403544637.html[/QUOTE]

KeiselPower99
02-10-2009, 01:31 AM
They need to create jobs. That would really be a stimulis package.

hindes204
02-10-2009, 01:49 AM
The scary part is we're just getting started.

it is scary...this is just the beginning....the tip of the iceberg :doh:

revefsreleets
02-10-2009, 09:22 AM
We DO need bridges. And improved highways. And some new light rail. And a new power, sewer and water grid. And other types of infrastructure. I think if we are going to spend a trillion dollars, we bring back the alphabet programs hire every able-bodied man woman and child who can and is willing to work, and start building this shit toots sweet. If we're going to spend the cash, letr's get something real and tangible out of it.

MACH1
02-10-2009, 10:17 AM
We DO need bridges. And improved highways. And some new light rail. And a new power, sewer and water grid. And other types of infrastructure. I think if we are going to spend a trillion dollars, we bring back the alphabet programs hire every able-bodied man woman and child who can and is willing to work, and start building this shit toots sweet. If we're going to spend the cash, letr's get something real and tangible out of it.

That would be great, however, how long would a program like that be tied up in red tape while the government tries to figure out how to regulate it. :noidea:

Most of the stuff in the stim bill is so far down the road its not going to do shit now.

hindes204
02-10-2009, 10:27 AM
That would be great, however, how long would a program like that be tied up in red tape while the government tries to figure out how to regulate it. :noidea:

Most of the stuff in the stim bill is so far down the road its not going to do shit now.

Obama better hope this thing works out...and does something soon, because if it doesnt, him and the rest of the libs are sunk...election year is only a year and a half away, with 19 GOP seats and 17 dem senate seats up for grabs

Preacher
02-10-2009, 10:53 AM
People...

this is why "trickle down" which should better be worded, JOB CREATION economics works.

You give a million to a person that ALREADY has had a few million, and KNOWS HOW TO CREATE JOBS WITH IT.

When you give it to city and state govt. It gets wasted, and in the end, that is exactly what is happening.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-10-2009, 11:09 AM
These are among 18,750 projects listed in "Ready to Go," the U.S. Conference of Mayors' wish list for funding from the stimulus bill moving through Congress. The group asked cities and towns to suggest "shovel ready" projects for the report, which it gave to Congress and the Obama administration

The problem with these projects is that all it does is make work for people already employed.

The real cash "black hole" of the American economy is inefficiency...in the next ten years I think you will see the end of shovel leaners on the job sites and supervisors with the gopher hole mentality of sticking their heads out of their offices once a day to remind workers they are there.

Businesses will be forced to expect more from their employees and will be cutting back on its workforce. The initial result will be a rise in unemployment...but as companies become more lucrative due to rise in efficeiency and lower payroll...they will eventually hirer more people who will also have to adapt to the new workstyle of hard work and less "entitlement".

revefsreleets
02-10-2009, 11:21 AM
Here's what I'm talking about. I live in Akron. I'd propose that we build a light rail system from downtown Akron to downtown Cleveland. The project takes, say, 5 years. I'd hold open recruitment, and hire 1,000 workers and pay them $20 an hour to build the thing. There would be a two week training course.

That's 1000 new jobs with each worker earning about 42k a year. And, in the end, there would be an efficient new light raid system that connects two major cities in NEO.

That's a simple and practical way to create jobs and "stimulate" the local economy.

Preacher
02-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Here's what I'm talking about. I live in Akron. I'd propose that we build a light rail system from downtown Akron to downtown Cleveland. The project takes, say, 5 years. I'd hold open recruitment, and hire 1,000 workers and pay them $20 an hour to build the thing. There would be a two week training course.

That's 1000 new jobs with each worker earning about 42k a year. And, in the end, there would be an efficient new light raid system that connects two major cities in NEO.

That's a simple and practical way to create jobs and "stimulate" the local economy.

See Suit. That is where you are unenlightened.

First, you have to give a 10 percent kick back to the union bosses before any work begins.

Then, you have to hire one union to do the welding, another union to move the material, another union to do the actual pipe-fitting, another union to pour the concrete, and even another union to run the electricity. Of course, if some of the material is coming by ship across the lakes, then you have another union in the shipping and even another to offload the stuff.

Now, you need to pay all of them a bloated wage on top of the payoffs to the bosses. Furthermore, to increase cost even more, you can't just let the electricians go home, because if a wire gets cut, the pipefitter can't take 3 feet of wire out and replace it, he has to call the electrician's union in to come do it while he stands around and watches.

On top of all that, the city has to get their cut, the state their cut, and the democrats have to make sure all the people working there will of course, vote democrat in the next election.

Your such a dreamer!

:chuckle: