PDA

View Full Version : Today's Practice:

LukesDad88
01-30-2009, 04:13 PM
King's report:

Roethlisberger threw the ball well on short and deep routes in yesterday's practice -- including a 40-yard bullet up the right seam to wide receiver Santonio Holmes, and several sharp throws to rehabbing receiver Hines Ward -- even during a steady rain.

Ward, who strained a right-knee ligament in the AFC title game, practiced for the first time since the knee was wrenched on a first-quarter tackle against Baltimore. Although he ran at perhaps three-quarters speed, he worked with the regular offense and blocked and caught the ball in midseason form. Tomlin said Ward looked "awesome" and reiterated what he has been saying for the past week: Ward will certainly play Sunday against the Cardinals. "He is where I thought he would be today," Tomlin said.

Read more here: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09030/945635-66.stm

Taylor picked off Leftwich twice.

fordfan485
01-30-2009, 04:19 PM

Thats a bit out of context right there, he was playing on the scout team imitating kurt warner

And on defense, the Steelers got a heavy dose of Leftwich imitating Kurt Warner, with practice-squad receiver Dallas Baker playing Larry Fitzgerald. Baker, a seventh-round pick of the Steelers from Florida in 2007, is 6-3, as is Fitzgerald, but at 206 pounds is 20 pounds lighter than the Cardinals' receiver he was imitating. Leftwich threw three interceptions -- two to cornerback Ike Taylor -- while the' defense was on the field, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Tomlin thought his defense practiced well.

"We're getting a great look from our scout teams, and we have all year," said Tomlin. "I can't say enough about the quality of work we're getting from Byron Leftwich, who has been fantastic all season imitating the other quarterback. He's giving our defense a good look at how Kurt Warner plays."

drizze99
01-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Exactly which means IKE is on point right now with his game.

I don't think he posted that as a slight to Lefty. We all know that Lefty is Warner this week.

LukesDad88
01-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Exactly which means IKE is on point right now with his game.

I don't think he posted that as a slight to Lefty. We all know that Lefty is Warner this week.

Yep. Heck, I just think it's great that Taylor's making the pics. Good coverage, bad hands.

HometownGal
01-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Great to hear that The T felt that our D practiced so well! :thumbsup:

Ike picking off Lefty doing the Kurt is a good thing - I didn't read into it any other way. Tells me Ike is pretty focused on doing his job and doing it well - can't ask for more than that! :tt03:

Peter King of Sports Illustrated is covering the Steelers' practices and files a pool report each day.

Yeah - the same douchebag who is choosing the Cards over the black 'n gold. I read it in SI. :jerkit:

RunWillieRun
01-30-2009, 04:32 PM
Yeah - the same douchebag who is choosing the Cards over the black 'n gold. I read it in SI. :jerkit:

To be fair, Peter King picked the Steelers: from Si.com

Why the Steelers will win: I see the Steelers not doing anything revolutionary on defense, just playing their base defense more than anyone does against the Cardinals. They'll keep safeties Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark back in two-deep coverage on most snaps and make the Cards take 12 or 13 plays to score. If Arizona can do that and win, then God bless 'em.

Don't take it to the bank, but ... I think Kurt Warner will play well, not give the ball away, and will have a chance to win it in the last 10 minutes. I just think Pittsburgh will make more plays on defense than any other team Arizona has seen in the playoffs.

The Super Bowl MVP will be... Willie Parker

goLERS
01-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Ike had a big pick in XL...I would LOVE to see more of the same come Sunday.
:tt03:

CanadianSteel
01-30-2009, 05:21 PM
Quote:

Well thtas great.... used um all up in practise and he just passed his quota for the month...
Kidding... would be awesome for him to grab one... Read an article stating where Ike can become a household name if he can manage to shut down Fitz.....

Dino 6 Rings
01-30-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm glad to hear Ward is doing good. that's awesome.

That means Nate and Holmes will get some one on one coverage on deeper routes. Hopefully, they make the plays when it counts.

drizze99
01-30-2009, 05:29 PM
I am thinking Nate is going to be paired with Hood all day and he sucks, LOL. Nate should have a big day if he holds onto the ball. Rodrick Hood IS the weak link in that secondary.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
01-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Read more here: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09030/945635-66.stm

To bad Ike can't hold on to an INT in a real game. He's got Dwight Stone hands :flap:

Fire Haley
01-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Uh-oh - looks like my prediction that Lefty would get the sweet taste of victory and never want to leave might come true.

Leftwich update

Do not count out Leftwich yet. The veteran quarterback's one-year contract ends when he becomes an unrestricted free agent Feb. 27. It long has been assumed that he would sign with a team that would give him a shot at being No. 1. Yesterday, though, he said not to rule out his staying with the Steelers.

"Never count the Pittsburgh Steelers out of my equation because this year meant so much to me," said Leftwich, a former starter in Jacksonville.

He signed a one-year contract with the Steelers in August after veteran backup Charlie Batch's collarbone was broken in a preseason game.

"Everybody's always saying, 'Well, you'll go here or you'll go there.' What if I'm in black and gold next year in the same situation? It's a situation that, ultimately, as much fun as I had, I know I could be happy in it. I know I can deal with it, but can I ultimately be happy not playing on a week-in and week-out basis?"

Batch, who has spent the season on injured reserve, also can become an unrestricted free agent Feb. 27 but expressed interest in returning to his role as the backup to Roethlisberger.

Leftwich declined to talk about other possibilities for his impending free agency.

"I would be a fool to begin to think about next year. I've been dreaming of this day, dreaming of this week all my life, and I'm going to take this week in. I have enough time when it's over to think about it, talk about it. I'll tell you, man, this is a great organization, a great head coach, a great group of guys, and, if I do have to move on, it's going to be tough because I had so much fun."

Preacher
01-30-2009, 09:13 PM
Uh-oh - looks like my prediction that Lefty would get the sweet taste of victory and never want to leave might come true.

Leftwich update

Do not count out Leftwich yet. The veteran quarterback's one-year contract ends when he becomes an unrestricted free agent Feb. 27. It long has been assumed that he would sign with a team that would give him a shot at being No. 1. Yesterday, though, he said not to rule out his staying with the Steelers.

"Never count the Pittsburgh Steelers out of my equation because this year meant so much to me," said Leftwich, a former starter in Jacksonville.

He signed a one-year contract with the Steelers in August after veteran backup Charlie Batch's collarbone was broken in a preseason game.

"Everybody's always saying, 'Well, you'll go here or you'll go there.' What if I'm in black and gold next year in the same situation? It's a situation that, ultimately, as much fun as I had, I know I could be happy in it. I know I can deal with it, but can I ultimately be happy not playing on a week-in and week-out basis?"

Batch, who has spent the season on injured reserve, also can become an unrestricted free agent Feb. 27 but expressed interest in returning to his role as the backup to Roethlisberger.

Leftwich declined to talk about other possibilities for his impending free agency.

"I would be a fool to begin to think about next year. I've been dreaming of this day, dreaming of this week all my life, and I'm going to take this week in. I have enough time when it's over to think about it, talk about it. I'll tell you, man, this is a great organization, a great head coach, a great group of guys, and, if I do have to move on, it's going to be tough because I had so much fun."

I always admired Lefty... though he STILL reminds me of Gary Coleman.

To see the respect he has for this team, well, just makes me like him even more. I say we keep him and release Batch.

HometownGal
01-30-2009, 09:20 PM
To be fair, Peter King picked the Steelers: from Si.com

Why the Steelers will win: I see the Steelers not doing anything revolutionary on defense, just playing their base defense more than anyone does against the Cardinals. They'll keep safeties Troy Polamalu and Ryan Clark back in two-deep coverage on most snaps and make the Cards take 12 or 13 plays to score. If Arizona can do that and win, then God bless 'em.

Don't take it to the bank, but ... I think Kurt Warner will play well, not give the ball away, and will have a chance to win it in the last 10 minutes. I just think Pittsburgh will make more plays on defense than any other team Arizona has seen in the playoffs.

The Super Bowl MVP will be... Willie Parker

In the SI edition with Troy on the cover, I could have sworn it was Peter King who picked the Cards to win 24-20 or a score close to that. I was reading it at a restaurant yesterday. I'm going to have to find the issue tomorrow and see for sure who it was.

KeiselPower99
01-30-2009, 09:31 PM

Leftwich update

Come on Byron stay in the black n gold.:tt:

msafford
01-30-2009, 09:32 PM
I always admired Lefty... though he STILL reminds me of Gary Coleman.
To see the respect he has for this team, well, just makes me like him even more. I say we keep him and release Batch.

:sofunny: I never thought of that, but you are so right!! :sofunny:

Fire Haley
01-30-2009, 10:22 PM
The Last Word on "The Knee"

Ward listed as probable, but Tomlin says status 'never in question'

"This week was a redo," Tomlin told a pool reporter assigned by the Pro Football Writers of America. "We didn't have the sense of urgency we might normally have in a practice week, but that's because the guys have seen it all once."

Wide receiver Hines Ward (sprained right knee ligament) went through the full one-hour, 50-minute practice in unseasonably cool 55-degree weather. He is listed as probable for the Steelers' second Super Bowl in four seasons.

Ward's status "never was in question," Tomlin said, even though the Super Bowl MVP of three seasons ago was injured less than two weeks ago in the AFC Championship Game.

Ward and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger both looked sharp during a practice in which the Steelers piped in crowd noise to replicate game conditions.

Roethlisberger took a helmet to the back during the AFC title game but has not been listed on the Steelers' injury report.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story?id=09000d5d80e7604f&template=without-video&confirm=true

steelerdave1969
01-30-2009, 10:30 PM
I am also delighted to hear that Hines is gonna be there and ready to play some football, but I didnt expect much of anything else. But even if he is not there the whole game, it is time for Santonio Holmes and Nate Washington to step up and prove that they are worth that big money. We have a #2 pick from this past draft that needs to get in there and prove that he is not a bust in my opinion. If he drops another TD pass this week, I may have to have surgery on my TV come monday morning..

steelerdave1969
01-30-2009, 10:35 PM
In the SI edition with Troy on the cover, I could have sworn it was Peter King who picked the Cards to win 24-20 or a score close to that. I was reading it at a restaurant yesterday. I'm going to have to find the issue tomorrow and see for sure who it was.

HometowngGal, just wanted to let ya know that the guys' name is JIM TROTTER from SI that wrote that article....
:thumbsup:

markymarc
01-30-2009, 11:32 PM
Sounds like the team is very focused and ready to kick some ass on Sunday. Great to hear Ben and Ward looking good in practice and of course it sounds like Ike is ready for the unstoppable immovable super hero Fitz. Also that would be awesome if Lefty resigned with us. I would take Lefty for a couple more years.