PDA

View Full Version : just a reminder.... Mike Tomlin is black

tony hipchest
01-30-2009, 06:48 PM
im so proud of the nfl, its fans and media, and especially the rooneys that this isnt even a story this week.

his color is an afterthought. its not even a topic worthy of making headlines. i dont think it would even be a topic if obama wasnt a presidential candidate.

the rooneys gave dungy his start.... he gave it to lovie and tomlin, and just like that, the color of a head coach in the sb doesnt even matter. hell, his youth isnt even called into question. he is looked at and and judged on his merits alone. :tt03:

what a great day to be a steelerfan, nfl fan, and an american. :tt:

MACH1
01-30-2009, 06:52 PM
He's black? When did that happen? :tt02::helmet::tt02:

I'm just glad to see it's no longer an issue in the NFL.

SteelCityKing
01-30-2009, 06:54 PM
you nailed that topic on the head. i don't really even know what to add to what you just said, but i totally agree with you.

i recently noticed that they haven't even really mentioned his skin color. if anything, they talk more about his demeanor and his age.

i think it's awesome how NOW that skin color of a prominent figure in the media is now a topic of the past, and it's only been less than 3 weeks since we elected a black president. i can get behind this notion of not giving a sh*t about the color of a persons skin and just let them be who they want to be and do what they want to do. i honestly feel that without mentioning the color of someones skin gets you one step closer to achieving the goal of extinguishing racism with the media.

but, now that you mention it...that's all they'll talk about now! haha!

SteelCityKing
01-30-2009, 06:57 PM

the Rooney Rule made that possible. and that, my friend, is another reason why people LOVE the Steelers. because they take initiative in finding ways to make things easy for their organization, the players, the coaches, and event themselves. take it upon yourself to avoid racism in your life and you'll touch so many others with the things you say and do...and things you don't say and don't do to make it an easier place for EVERYBOY in the world to get along.

i don't think that is the EXACT reason the Rooney Rule is intact, but it sure helps people understand that being a minority shouldn't hinder you from doing ANYTHING you want to do. kudos to the Rooneys. =)

Give It To Abercrombie
01-30-2009, 07:13 PM
It's funny, the thought of his color had never even crossed my mind. Nor had the idea that no one is talking about it. Not sure if that makes me enlightened or my head is just buried in my ass, effectively placing me in my own world. Depending on which person you ask that knows me you could get either answer. Ask my wife.

:noidea:

TheSteelCurtain
01-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Tony when i first read the title to this post i was like OH SNAP. Where is he going with this. Now the 2 cardinals fans can Call us Racist Bandwagon Yinzers. Maybee they already do. Bastards. But good call.

SteelCityKing
01-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Tony when i first read the title to this post i was like OH SNAP. Where is he going with this. Now the 2 cardinals fans can Call us Racist Bandwagon Yinzers. Maybee they already do. Bastards. But good call.

WOW! "Yinzer!?" like i haven't heard that one before. haha!

Stlrs4Life
01-30-2009, 07:31 PM
What tony said.

KeiselPower99
01-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Im more sick of hearing Obamas name come up on everything. Personally politics and football should not mingle.

SteelCityKing
01-30-2009, 07:33 PM
i don't get how opposing teams fans want to sit there and talk shit about our city and where we come from. i got yelled at one time by a Ravens fan saying "go home and f*ck you mother again!" i said, "that doesn't even make sense you douchebag!" haha!

people from other teams have this misconception about how Pittsburgh people really are and ontop of that, the fans who DON'T live in Pittsburgh get treated like they do live in Pittsburgh. just because you are a fan of an out of state team doesn't mean you live and act like you live in that city, ya know? i'm not going to move to Florida and root for the Browns and then act like i'm a derelict stinky dickface all day long! haha!

i'm proud to be from Pittsburgh. straight up. the day that Phoenix, Cleveland, Baltimore, or Cincinatti get voted "America's Most Livable City" then i'll actually go and visit those towns. haha!

Preacher
01-30-2009, 07:34 PM
I have only heard it mentioned in relation to Tomlin's thoughts on Obama and how it would be nice for him to be the first coach to see Obama in the oval office as a SB winner.

SteelCityKing
01-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Im more sick of hearing Obamas name come up on everything. Personally politics and football should not mingle.

right on. the ONLY way they should mingle is if the current president does the coin toss! haha!

SteelCityKing
01-30-2009, 07:36 PM
I have only heard it mentioned in relation to Tomlin's thoughts on Obama and how it would be nice for him to be the first coach to see Obama in the oval office as a SB winner.

i always forget that the Super Bowl winning team gets to visit the White House and what not after their victory. wow, the KKK will have a field day with that one! haha!

note: i didn't mean that in a derogatory way. i'm just saying that the lot of racists and bigots out there will flip shit when they see a black coach and a black president shaking hands in the oval office.

4xSBChamps
01-30-2009, 07:38 PM
the Rooney Rule made that possible. and that, my friend, is another reason why people LOVE the Steelers. because they take initiative in finding ways to make things easy for their organization, the players, the coaches, and even themselves. take it upon yourself to avoid racism

Years before 'the Rooney Rule', the Stillers were ahead of the curve on this, as Noll hired Lionel Taylor as an Assistant Coach early in his tenure (a rarity in 1960-1970), and started Joe Gilliam on opening day 1974 (a 30-0 win against the Colts), a first in modern NFL history:
according to most reports from players, the Steelers have been truly-colorblind since Dan Rooney and Chuck Noll assumed command in 1969

SteelCityKing
01-30-2009, 07:41 PM
Years before 'the Rooney Rule', the Stillers were ahead of the curve on this, as Noll hired Lionel Taylor as an Assistant Coach early in his tenure (a rarity in 1960-1970), and started Joe Gilliam on opening day 1974 (a 30-0 win against the Colts), a first in modern NFL history:
according to most reports from players, the Steelers have been truly-colorblind since Dan Rooney and Chuck Noll assumed command in 1969

dude, why are you typing so loud!? haha!

i never knew that about the Steelers hiring minorities that far back. yet again, ANOTHER reason why the Steelers are so beloved. thank you. it is true, you learn something new everyday.

CPanther95
01-30-2009, 07:52 PM
http://www.pittsburghsteelers.co.uk/steelers/players/joe%20gilliam%20on%20si%20index%20s.jpg

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-30-2009, 08:27 PM

Yeah, but when is the league gonna break the Hispanic Head Coach barrier?? What about the Asian Head Coach barrier or the Native American Head Coach barrier??? :noidea:

Dont even get me started on the gender barrier. I say we need the Georgia Frontiere rule where a female candidate needs to be interviewed in each coaching vacancy. :wink:

SteelCityKing
01-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Yeah, but when is the league gonna break the Hispanic Head Coach barrier?? What about the Asian Head Coach barrier or the Native American Head Coach barrier??? :noidea:

Dont even get me started on the gender barrier. I say we need the Georgia Frontiere rule where a female candidate needs to be interviewed in each coaching vacancy. :wink:

i can get behind that one...but with a wink at the end of that statement, i don't think you were serious! haha!

i think they should vote out Steely McBeam before they vote for a woman coach. haha!

SteelCityMom
01-30-2009, 08:32 PM
i don't get how opposing teams fans want to sit there and talk shit about our city and where we come from. i got yelled at one time by a Ravens fan saying "go home and f*ck you mother again!" i said, "that doesn't even make sense you douchebag!" haha!

people from other teams have this misconception about how Pittsburgh people really are and ontop of that, the fans who DON'T live in Pittsburgh get treated like they do live in Pittsburgh. just because you are a fan of an out of state team doesn't mean you live and act like you live in that city, ya know? i'm not going to move to Florida and root for the Browns and then act like i'm a derelict stinky dickface all day long! haha!

i'm proud to be from Pittsburgh. straight up. the day that Phoenix, Cleveland, Baltimore, or Cincinatti get voted "America's Most Livable City" then i'll actually go and visit those towns. haha!

Awesome post, I get real tired of hearing this as well. People from other cities talk about people from Pittsburgh like the city is overrun with fat unemployed steel workers and nothing else...even though all but one steel mill has been closed for decades now. I don't think this is a stigma that Pittsburgh will live down for a long time, but who gives a crap about the haters, I love my city and am proud to be from and live in Pittsburgh.

Interesting story on the economy in Pittsburgh in the Trib today too, even though there have been a good number of layoffs this week (as there has been all around the nation) Pittsburgh still has a considerably lower unemployment ratio than the state or country...yet somehow we're nothing but poor fat slobs lol.

tony hipchest
01-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Im more sick of hearing Obamas name come up on everything. Personally politics and football should not mingle.then why bring it up and belabor it? i already put out the disclaimer that the point of this thread or tomlins acceptance has nothing to do with the political climate of the day.

tomlins color would be about as big of a non-topic if mccain were elected. :noidea:

and there in lies the beauty of it.

4xSBChamps
01-30-2009, 08:50 PM
.... just because you are a fan of an out of state team doesn't mean you live and act like you live in that city, ya know? i'm not going to move to Florida and root for the.....

I left Taxylvania 6 months after Super Bowl XL for central Florida (45 minutes East of Tampa), and I still follow the Stillers as-best-as-I-can, without having digital TV/NFL Network, and limited computer skills, yet I wear my Stiller and Penguins stuff year-round (my small business' colors are Black & Gold):
a guy I've met here hopes that one day he can convert me into a Buccaneer fan, but I tell him, "are you frikkin' SERIOUS????? That ain't football yinz guyz play, and to me, the Buccaneers will always be just an expansion team"

markymarc
01-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Good post Tony! Speaking of black I guess Tomlin won't be wearing his puffy black Steelers jacket come Sunday night :chuckle: I actually can't wait to see his attire for Sunday and of course he will look cool not matter what he has on.

4xSBChamps
01-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Good post Tony! Speaking of black I guess Tomlin won't be wearing his puffy black Steelers jacket come Sunday night :chuckle: I actually can't wait to see his attire for Sunday and of course he will look cool not matter what he has on.

:iagree:

..... unless he consults with Frenchy Fuqua, and decides to wear a Hot Pink jumpsuit with Lucite platform heels, housing Goldfish

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_f3fTVkavMVg/SNjxG70lbnI/AAAAAAAAALc/3CSs7-15DsI/S220/expimpshoesblack.gif

tony hipchest
01-30-2009, 10:24 PM

Dont even get me started on the gender barrier. I say we need the Georgia Frontiere rule where a female candidate needs to be interviewed in each coaching vacancy. :wink::chuckle:

well the steelers did interview chicago's rivera for the HC position before tomlin, which satisfied the "rooney rule".

and not only do they employ the leagues only asian trainer but she is the leagues only female trainer as well. :thumbsup:

again... kudos to the rooneys who have always "put their mouth where their money is".

Good post Tony! Speaking of black I guess Tomlin won't be wearing his puffy black Steelers jacket come Sunday night :chuckle: I actually can't wait to see his attire for Sunday and of course he will look cool not matter what he has on. im willing to bet on a black, league licensed, steelers polo and a pair of khakis.

stlrtruck
01-30-2009, 10:32 PM
I would say the reason it's not an issue it because 2 years ago, Tony Dungy won the Super Bowl.

devilsdancefloor
01-30-2009, 10:32 PM
great post man! But will coach be sporting the sunglasses?

markymarc
01-30-2009, 10:43 PM
:iagree:

..... unless he consults with Frenchy Fuqua, and decides to wear a Hot Pink jumpsuit with Lucite platform heels, housing Goldfish

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_f3fTVkavMVg/SNjxG70lbnI/AAAAAAAAALc/3CSs7-15DsI/S220/expimpshoesblack.gif

LOL. Although throw in a cane and I think Tomlin can work some fashion magic with those boots :chuckle:

KeiselPower99
01-30-2009, 10:52 PM
Only reason I brought that up is in damn near every interview I heard Mike do they brought up Obama. I hope that if it was McCain elected they would do the same and not be so single minded about someones skin color.

SteelCurtain7
01-31-2009, 05:57 AM
im so proud of the nfl, its fans and media, and especially the rooneys that this isnt even a story this week.

his color is an afterthought. its not even a topic worthy of making headlines. i dont think it would even be a topic if obama wasnt a presidential candidate.

the rooneys gave dungy his start.... he gave it to lovie and tomlin, and just like that, the color of a head coach in the sb doesnt even matter. hell, his youth isnt even called into question. he is looked at and and judged on his merits alone. :tt03:

what a great day to be a steelerfan, nfl fan, and an american. :tt:

You know, I haven't even been thinking about this...I've been so caught up in the craziness of the game.

Here's to Steelers victory and a win for Coach Tomlin!!!! Rah rah!!!!!!! :tt:

Give It To Abercrombie
01-31-2009, 07:44 AM
i'm not going to move to Florida and root for the Browns and then act like i'm a derelict stinky dickface all day long! haha!

LMAO

:rofl:

Phade
01-31-2009, 09:16 AM
you got me feeling all patriotic..

Godfather
01-31-2009, 10:35 AM
[B][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Years before 'the Rooney Rule', the Stillers were ahead of the curve on this, as Noll hired Lionel Taylor as an Assistant Coach early in his tenure (a rarity in 1960-1970), and started Joe Gilliam on opening day 1974 (a 30-0 win against the Colts), a first in modern NFL history:

We also hired Tony Dungy as defensive coordinator in 1984 and maintained a relationship with the HBCUs in the late 1960s and early 1970s, which paid off with Stallworth, Blount, Greenwood, Shell, etc.

warddj86
01-31-2009, 11:22 AM
let's make tomlin the second african-american coach to win a super bowl!!!

xfl2001fan
01-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Here's the thing, when the Colts played the Bears a few years ago, the black head coach thing was beat to death. We went from a black head coach had never gone to a Superbowl...to a guarnatee that a black head coach would win one.

Personally, I am of the mind that it doesn't matter. Racists make race an issue.

The Rooney Rule shouldn't be a feeling of pride...because it should never have been an issue. The closest that anyone could say about it...is that the Rooney's are the only team that don't have to feel ashamed of themselves for practicing it without being told to.

SteelCityKing
01-31-2009, 12:20 PM
Here's the thing, when the Colts played the Bears a few years ago, the black head coach thing was beat to death. We went from a black head coach had never gone to a Superbowl...to a guarnatee that a black head coach would win one.

Personally, I am of the mind that it doesn't matter. Racists make race an issue.

The Rooney Rule shouldn't be a feeling of pride...because it should never have been an issue. The closest that anyone could say about it...is that the Rooney's are the only team that don't have to feel ashamed of themselves for practicing it without being told to.

i totally agree with you. the ONLY people who make a mountain out of a molehole with racism are either A) people who are blantly racist or B) people who try to be politically correct without trying to be racist. political correctness just makes people come off as ignorant a-holes and the try to hard.

who cares if Tomlin is black, Obama is black, Denzel Washington is black, Flavor Flav is black*, and Larry Fitzgerald is black? they are all good at what they do and they don't deserve any less respect for being black than the whole lot of black people.

but the basis of this post was to point out that Mike Tomlin being black is NOT an issue and has yet to be brought up in any press conference i have seen. like you and me and i'm sure a whole shit ton of other people...it just doesn't matter anymore. a black president has paved the way for a deconstruction of a million racial barriers plaguing our country and now more than ever, NOBODY has the right to say anything about anybodys race, religion, or origin. i mean, of course you have the right. freedom of speech and free will grants you that right, but nobody should say anything unless they are trying to make a valid statement about racism being a severe issue in this country. so what we have a black coach in the Super Bowl? i think more people who claim to no be racists or bigots would have more of a tough time trying to stomach a black host for the Price Is Right! haha! it just doesn't matter to me anymore. i was raised better than that.

*Flavor Flav was good with Public Enemy...NOT being a reality television star. i just wanted to clarify that. haha!

TeeJay
01-31-2009, 12:23 PM
You say Mike Tomlin is black?........*goes on wiki*

Bloody hell........so he is!

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
01-31-2009, 02:32 PM
Skin color is only important when you are running for President.

I hate how people make a big deal about when a black person, a woman, a homosexual, etc. accomplishes something. It is like you are trying to say that these certain people never amount to anything, so when they do it's a big deal. Who cares? Mike Tomlin is a coach and Obama is the President, who gives a flip what color they are?

SteelCurtain7
01-31-2009, 02:37 PM
let's make tomlin the second african-american coach to win a super bowl!!!

:tt:

cubanstogie
01-31-2009, 02:39 PM
i totally agree with you. the ONLY people who make a mountain out of a molehole with racism are either A) people who are blantly racist or B) people who try to be politically correct without trying to be racist. political correctness just makes people come off as ignorant a-holes and the try to hard.

who cares if Tomlin is black, Obama is black, Denzel Washington is black, Flavor Flav is black*, and Larry Fitzgerald is black? they are all good at what they do and they don't deserve any less respect for being black than the whole lot of black people.

but the basis of this post was to point out that Mike Tomlin being black is NOT an issue and has yet to be brought up in any press conference i have seen. like you and me and i'm sure a whole shit ton of other people...it just doesn't matter anymore. a black president has paved the way for a deconstruction of a million racial barriers plaguing our country and now more than ever, NOBODY has the right to say anything about anybodys race, religion, or origin. i mean, of course you have the right. freedom of speech and free will grants you that right, but nobody should say anything unless they are trying to make a valid statement about racism being a severe issue in this country. so what we have a black coach in the Super Bowl? i think more people who claim to no be racists or bigots would have more of a tough time trying to stomach a black host for the Price Is Right! haha! it just doesn't matter to me anymore. i was raised better than that.

*Flavor Flav was good with Public Enemy...NOT being a reality television star. i just wanted to clarify that. haha!

Glad you threw in that last paragraph. I was like did I just read that correctly. Flavor Flav? Actually he was pretty funny in Surreal Life with Bridgeeeeet Neilson as well.

fansince'76
01-31-2009, 02:47 PM
Doesn't mentioning the fact that his race isn't being mentioned as a point of progress indicate that there is still progress to be made? :noidea:

cubanstogie
01-31-2009, 02:51 PM
Skin color is only important when you are running for President.

I hate how people make a big deal about when a black person, a woman, a homosexual, etc. accomplishes something. It is like you are trying to say that these certain people never amount to anything, so when they do it's a big deal. Who cares? Mike Tomlin is a coach and Obama is the President, who gives a flip what color they are?

As a white male, It bothers me when it is brought up. I remember the SB with Lovie and the Bears and it was annoying that it kept being brought up. But I could see Black people feeling proud of the acccomplishment. Kind of like rooting for an Irish boxer if you are Irish. I just think the constant bringing it up and making a big deal about by the media makes it feel less normal and more like an aberration. I have a buddy who always takes a liking to white DB's. He loved Sehorn, Lynch and Archuletta, that was equally as annoying.

SteelCityKing
01-31-2009, 04:09 PM
As a white male, It bothers me when it is brought up. I remember the SB with Lovie and the Bears and it was annoying that it kept being brought up. But I could see Black people feeling proud of the acccomplishment. Kind of like rooting for an Irish boxer if you are Irish. I just think the constant bringing it up and making a big deal about by the media makes it feel less normal and more like an aberration. I have a buddy who always takes a liking to white DB's. He loved Sehorn, Lynch and Archuletta, that was equally as annoying.

probably about as equally annoying as my black friends screaming "put Leftwich in!" everytime Ben makes a bad play. they only say that because he's black. if Maddox was still playing, they sure as shit stinks wouldn't be yelling "put Maddox in!" na'mean? but hey, we've got 2 black back up QBs. so, now my black friends have 2 people to root for when Ben screws up!

Texasteel
01-31-2009, 04:31 PM

Don't forget the dirty old man barrier. Thats the only thing keeping me from making big bucks in the NFL.

KeiselPower99
01-31-2009, 09:41 PM
Im tired of hearing it all. I understand for the black community that its a great accomplishment but when its brought up every 5 seconds it gets annoying. I remember someone saying That I have a dream that one day people will be judged on more then just their skin color. That was MLK and with all this attention to someones skin color shows that that day still isnt here. I personally look at people as a whole and the color of skin dont matter to me. I dont like at Mike Tomlin and say hey there is a black man coaching my favorite football team. I say hey there is a man that knows his football and has a strong personality. I dont look at Obama and go there is the first black President of the USA. I see a man that I didnt vote for cause I didnt agree with his policies.

stillers4me
01-31-2009, 09:42 PM
Im tired of hearing it all. I understand for the black community that its a great accomplishment but when its brought up every 5 seconds it gets annoying. I remember someone saying That I have a dream that one day people will be judged on more then just their skin color. That was MLK and with all this attention to someones skin color shows that that day still isnt here. I personally look at people as a whole and the color of skin dont matter to me. I dont like at Mike Tomlin and say hey there is a black man coaching my favorite football team. I say hey there is a man that knows his football and has a strong personality. I dont look at Obama and go there is the first black President of the USA. I see a man that I didnt vote for cause I didnt agree with his policies.

BINGO! :thumbsup:

SteelerFanInATL
02-01-2009, 09:08 AM
The one thing that I thought might have come up was the fact that Tomlins success has come with the players that were drafted by Cowher. On the flip side, IMO, one of the reasons why our defense is in the position its in is because of the two LB's drafted last year. As an AA, last year when Tomlin came in for the interview, I thought that he was the token interview since the organization was responsible for the Rooney Rule. I was convinced that Wiz or Grimm would get the job which made sence. When the announcement was made my mouth almost hit the floor. My first thought was he must have blown them away in the interview and that this guy is going to be good. Thats what it should be about.

HometownGal
02-01-2009, 09:28 AM
I don't see what the big deal is about skin color, and I too am sick to death of hearing about it, not just with regard to NFL coaches, but in general.

WHITE is a color, too, so I suppose we're all crayons out of the same box when all is said and done.