PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Mythconceptions Going into the Game

tony hipchest
01-30-2009, 07:13 PM
no, i dont have a lithp... or an litp... or a lisp.

but here are 2 myths/misconceptions that need to be put to rest-

cardinals are the hottest team in the nfl.- so they won 3 playoff games in a row. big whoop. they mailed it in as soon as they clinched the division.

the steelers, on the other hand, have won 8 of their last 9 games. all but the browns have been against playoff calibur teams. on paper, the cardinals will be one of our easiest opponents in weeks

steelers havent faced a wr corps like the cardinals- in 2004 wayne, harrison, stokley not only each had a 1000 yds, but 10+ td's apiece. the next year we faced them twice and shut down the passing game in the playoffs, holding each receiver w/o a td and under 100 yds. this group also had dallas clark and a younger e. james.

this cardinals offense isnt as good, and this steelers defense is better. (quick- name our 3rd and 4th cb's from that squad).

feel free to list other myths going into this game.

Give It To Abercrombie
01-30-2009, 07:17 PM
Kurt Warner is a machine that can't be rattled. His kept his head on straight against Philly and just threw it quick. I seem to remember a bumbling dick fumbling on every other play because he was getting beaten time after time not all that long ago. And this just in, let's see Fitzgerald or Boldin go across the middle and get bleedin' smeared by Mr. Harrison coming the opposite way. I tend to think our linebackers play just a touch better than the Feebles 'backers do.

fansince'76
01-30-2009, 07:17 PM
feel free to list other myths going into this game.

How about Kurt Warner all of a sudden being the greatest QB to ever don pads and a helmet and Fitz being approximately 12 feet tall, bionic, and made of Kryptonite, for starters? :rolleyes:

Cheppy
01-30-2009, 07:34 PM
One that's kinda driven me nuts is all the "experts" talking about how big Kurt Warner's ability to make plays in the face of a blitz is going to be. Don't the "experts" realize that this Steeler team has blitzed far less than in years past?

The big difference this season from a defensive standpoint has been the fact that the Steelers have both Woodley & Harrison starting on the outside & they've just been winning their matchups. When you think about it Woodley's contribution to this defense can't be praised enough. He's unquestionably made Harrison a better player & the two have wreaked havoc without Lebeau having to rush 6 on a consistent basis. And their dominace has had a direct effect in how well the secondary (& their #1 pass defense as a whole) has played all season.

I love Woodley.

SteelCityKing
01-30-2009, 07:56 PM
How about Kurt Warner all of a sudden being the greatest QB to ever don pads and a helmet and Fitz being approximately 12 feet tall, bionic, and made of Kryptonite, for starters? :rolleyes:

i was going to say the same exact thing. it's like, yeah...we made it to 2 Super Bowls. won 1 and lost 1. now is his chance for redemption. WOW...breaking news...Kurt Warner is a QB still and he's a back up to a kitty cat.

also, the whole notion that the Arizona Cardinals are the "Cinderella Team" this year. WHO CARES!? they made it in and won out...guess what, the Steelers did it too. as a 6th seed and won their 5th title. it's NEVER been done before.

so, Cardinals fans, don't act like you are the coolest thing since pants with pockets, becase guess what...my pants don't have pockets and they are much cooler than you.

VegasStlrFan
01-30-2009, 08:58 PM
I think the "Wisenhunt knows Lebeau and that will have a big effect on the outcome" is a Myth. IMO, every team in the NFL knows and understands the zone blitz scenario and how to beat it (no pressure, no work). Its the players excution that makes the system work. Lebeau preps them, calls the D, and draws up the blitzes but, its the players athletic ability that makes it work. 90% of Lebeau's work is done before Sunday, it started when the players were drafted. There is a reason we picked Troy, Woodley, Timmons etc... they have great athletic ability that fits the scheme. Then there's the weeks and weeks of coaching the execution of the schemes. All that leads to Sunday when Lebeau unleashes the hounds.

Sure Wisenhut may get lucky and call the perfect play against a particular set once or twice, alot of teams have. Lebeau's tendencies are studied by every team, and you can bet any team would have a couple of stats guys doing probabilities for all situations going into the Bowl. It doesn't make Wisenhunt special.

Bottom line is this system is perfect for this group of athletes. Their talent is what makes it work, and is what makes them #1.

MACH1
01-30-2009, 09:09 PM
The biggest myth is that the cards are the best team in the NFC. The best 9-7 team ever. :rolleyes:

Cheppy
01-30-2009, 09:24 PM
The biggest myth is that the cards are the best team in the NFC. The best 9-7 team ever. :rolleyes:

They are the best team in the NFC. Warner never turned the ball over 6 times in a playoff game. They shut down the #1 rushing offense in the league & beat the Eagles straight-up. To say they're not the best team in the conference, or worse yet, not deserving to be in the Super Bowl is incredibly dumb.

With that said, F the Cardinals. I'm looking for Clark to deliver a hammer blow on Fitzgerald at some point during the game.

I've been watching the complete history of the Pittsburgh Steelers (including all supplementals) like my life depended on it. I'm getting primed:tt02:

markymarc
01-30-2009, 10:11 PM
How about the Steelers won't be able to touch Warner because he has such a quick release and knows how to read blitzes and where everybody is coming from. Not that it matters though because on Sunday night these myths get squashed like little bugs by the best NFL defense in 2008.

MACH1
01-30-2009, 10:21 PM
They are the best team in the NFC. Warner never turned the ball over 6 times in a playoff game. They shut down the #1 rushing offense in the league & beat the Eagles straight-up. To say they're not the best team in the conference, or worse yet, not deserving to be in the Super Bowl is incredibly dumb.

With that said, F the Cardinals. I'm looking for Clark to deliver a hammer blow on Fitzgerald at some point during the game.

I've been watching the complete history of the Pittsburgh Steelers (including all supplementals) like my life depended on it. I'm getting primed:tt02:

Where's that sarcasm smiley at.

Cheppy
01-30-2009, 11:10 PM
Where's that sarcasm smiley at.

If that was you trying to be funny... You fail.

eafratitpm3
01-30-2009, 11:24 PM
The only two teams playing in the SB are the Arizona Offense against the Pittsburgh Defense. That's all you hear about. Nobody is showing our O Love. Everyone forgets the fact that this will be a home game atmosphere for the Black n Gold!

MACH1
01-31-2009, 02:37 AM
If that was you trying to be funny... You fail.

:jerkit:

pghfrank1948
01-31-2009, 05:02 AM
I agree the only thing the talking heads are saying is Ari (off) vs Steelers (def). I wonder if Ben is even going to take the field. If Willie can run at all, the passing game will open and they wont have the ball enough to matter!!!! Despite the numbers the O put up this season it does have some punch to it. I think the NFL needs something to build the game up since the Patriots and Giants are at home watching.

hindes204
01-31-2009, 05:34 AM
Im tired of all of the talk on tv, all the predictions and analysis...DAMMIT I JUST WANT THE GAME TO START, IM GOIN NUTZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stillers4me
01-31-2009, 06:59 AM
How about....isn't it sweet how poor Hines Ward is going to go out there and play with 100% heart and but only 50% of his ability. How are the Steelers ever going to manage?

GutterflowerSteel
01-31-2009, 07:28 AM
My favorite ones - NOBODY can cover Fitzgerald :rolleyes: and Kurt Warner is gonna torch the secondary :coffee: I do like it that more people are picking the Cards to win now - because it makes the Steelers the underdogs, which is much better :tt02:

I BELIEVE!!

GBMelBlount
01-31-2009, 07:47 AM

Exactly. Sure they've been playing a little pitch and catch, but they've not played the Steelers. If people want to make this a match up of titanic proportions, then great. I couldn't be happier. I would imagine this has our defense pretty damn fired up and ready to prove themselves. :thumbsup:

donny c
01-31-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm waiting for Warner to under throw another one of those deep balls to
Fitz(horseface)and the MVP of SB XLIII ..Troy Polamalu bringing another one back for a score

43Hitman
01-31-2009, 08:42 AM
:jerkit:

:chuckle:

steelpinstripe72
01-31-2009, 09:31 AM
How about "Arizona beat Pittsburgh in the preseason last year, so Arizona will win the Super Bowl"? Someone actually told me this yesterday.