PDA

View Full Version : Lions safe on Thanksgiving, for now

SteelCityKing
01-31-2009, 10:52 AM
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - The Detroit Lions' Thanksgiving Day game is safe, at least for 2009. But NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says that could change.

During a news conference Friday, Goodell said owners will discuss having other teams host Thanksgiving Day games "as we get later into the year."

The Lions have hosted Thanksgiving Day games since 1934, but the club fought off a resolution to rotate the game among NFL teams in 1999.

Goodell also says the NFL won't change its television blackout policy despite economic troubles nationwide and in cities like Detroit. Five of the Lions' last six home games in 2008 weren't televised locally because Ford Field didn't sell out.

================================================== ==========

personally, i say dump the Lions for a better team to be televised. i'd say, stick with tradition and keep the Cowboys. they tend to keep eyes glued to the tube due to their drama and constant news theivery, but ditch the Lions.

i would suggest an announcement during the Hall of Fame Game or sometime during the release of the schedule who gets to play during the Thanksgiving Bowl. i think they should be chosen by a lottery or a poll by the fans. aside from the Super Bowl and Playoffs, it's the bigggest televised game of the year. shouldn't EVERY team have the right to play on it like the Lions and Cowboys do? i wouldn't mind seeing some other teams play from time to time. it wouldn't hurt the NFL to broaden it up a little.

to me, the Lions lost all chances of playing a big game of any magnitude after the debacle they pulled off last season. so, nix them...and spice up your Turkey Day with some Black and Gold. =)

stlrtruck
01-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Is Goodell trying to get rid of all the traditions of the NFL?

These games belong in Detroit and Dallas respectively, it's what I've come to love about the NFL - those two teams having games on Thanksgiving.

LEAVE IT ALONE!!

SteelCityKing
01-31-2009, 12:24 PM

These games belong in Detroit and Dallas respectively, it's what I've come to love about the NFL - those two teams having games on Thanksgiving.

LEAVE IT ALONE!!

i get that it's a tradition to have these two teams play on Turkey Day. why would anyone want to sh*t on tradition? i get that...BUT, i think i'd be safe to say that i think other teams should be able to get a chance to play on this day too. it wouldn't hurt, right?

besides, i think the Lions took a huge doody on their tradition by being a trud sucking ball club last season. i bet you they win 1 game this year, and it's in the preseason! haha!

KeiselPower99
01-31-2009, 01:04 PM
I say leave it alone its a tradition. Hell id even go as far as making that weekend tradition weekend. Every team to wear throwback unis to show the history and tradition of their franchise.

stlrtruck
01-31-2009, 03:07 PM
i get that it's a tradition to have these two teams play on Turkey Day. why would anyone want to sh*t on tradition? i get that...BUT, i think i'd be safe to say that i think other teams should be able to get a chance to play on this day too. it wouldn't hurt, right?

besides, i think the Lions took a huge doody on their tradition by being a trud sucking ball club last season. i bet you they win 1 game this year, and it's in the preseason! haha!

I disagree. But I think I may be more old school. There is a lot to be said about traditions that are started and just become a way of life. Some traditions, regardless of the winningness of the team is worth keeping - this is one of them.

touchdownward
01-31-2009, 03:28 PM
I'd like to see the Steelers play the cowturds every Thanksgiving. Of course, I'm a fan from the 70s and that's when this rivalry was most fierce. I still hate the cowturds.

SteelCityKing
01-31-2009, 03:57 PM
well, we ARE playing the NFC North in the 2009-2010 season. so, chances of us playing the Lions on Thanksgiving could happen. i'd like to see the Lions take a smack down while a rest my fat gut after gourging some pumpkin pie. haha!

Steeler in Carolina
01-31-2009, 04:24 PM
I'd say the NFL should let the winning Super Bowl team host a Thanksgiving game.

Preacher
01-31-2009, 04:33 PM
Actually, I would think most players would prefer NOT to play on a Thursday.

It is a short preceding week and a long week thereafter.

The only difference is if their bye week came the preceding week.

MasterOfPuppets
01-31-2009, 04:43 PM
i don't ever care to have detroit on my tv screen.....unless they're playing the steelers....or seeing old barry sanders highlights...that guy was just fun to watch play.

SteelCityKing
01-31-2009, 04:43 PM
I'd say the NFL should let the winning Super Bowl team host a Thanksgiving game.

i think they should have the winning Super Bowl team host the Super Bowl the next year. it'll never happen, but hell it would be fun. =)

MasterOfPuppets
01-31-2009, 05:05 PM
i think they should have the winning Super Bowl team host the Super Bowl the next year. it'll never happen, but hell it would be fun. =)

do you really think they could get people to pay thousand of dollars to freeze your ass off in a place like.....say..green bay ???

T&B fan
01-31-2009, 05:43 PM
Actually, I would think most players would prefer NOT to play on a Thursday.

It is a short preceding week and a long week thereafter.

The only difference is if their bye week came the preceding week.

I think you got it .. 3 games now let the boys and lions keep there home game . we like to play Sundays . no need to fix this .nothing wronge with it ... let see how many players next yr play in a probowl, week before SB ... bet not any that will be playing in the SB that yr .. that will make it even more of a :poop: game ..

SteelCurtain7
01-31-2009, 05:47 PM

LEAVE IT ALONE!!

Goodell needs to go. Period. His mollycoddling of the Cheatriots*, his inconsistent handling of troublemakers (think Crackman and Plaxico), and his latest attempts to overturn ancient NFL traditions should hopefully be nails in his casket as commish. :rolleyes: