PDA

View Full Version : Kick or receive?

steelwall
01-31-2009, 12:03 PM
Well I figured everything else is being talked about, why don't we discuss this.... Should we win the toss or even vise versa would we rather kick to the Cards or recieve?

I'd say recieve.... put the first points on the board and have our D come out first in the 2nd half.

GodofGridiron
01-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Receive.......

We own the third quarter anyways so why defer. The Cards plan is to jump out on us early if they can. They have to do so in order to win because if its close by the time the third and fourth quarter rolls around in a physical contest, we will win the war of attrition.

But id like to receive.......play action over the top to Nate or Santonio. Let em know we're gonna exercise every inch of that field on offense.

steelwall
01-31-2009, 12:12 PM
Receive.......

We own the third quarter anyways so why defer. The Cards plan is to jump out on us early if they can. They have to do so in order to win because if its close by the time the third and fourth quarter rolls around in a physical contest, we will win the war of attrition.

But id like to receive.......play action over the top to Nate or Santonio. Let em know we're gonna exercise every inch of that field on offense.

Agreed:thumbsup:

TeeJay
01-31-2009, 12:15 PM
Put the D in first - stop them, or even better get a turnover on their first drive. Remind the Cards it's gonna be a long day out there!

Then send the O out in great field position. :thumbsup:

Tomwin
01-31-2009, 12:20 PM
recieve and run the ball backwards for a safety :tt03:

Steel_Bus_24
01-31-2009, 12:21 PM
Id rather have the ball at the start of the 2nd half.

GodofGridiron
01-31-2009, 12:22 PM

I forsee an abbreviated tenure in your Forum experience.

Stlrs4Life
01-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Id rather have the ball at the start of the 2nd half.

Same here, like Tunch always says, the 1st drive in the 3rd qtr is usually the most important drive.

Steelcitygal87
01-31-2009, 12:25 PM
Put the D in first - stop them, or even better get a turnover on their first drive. Remind the Cards it's gonna be a long day out there!

Then send the O out in great field position. :thumbsup:

Yep...and they always say don't change your way of doing things when you reach the Super Bowl...and all year Tomlin, when he wins the coin toss, defers to the second half...so......

LETS GO D!!!! :tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

aries4972
01-31-2009, 12:33 PM
...if we win..... defer and kick..... get the ball in the third

Polamalu Princess
01-31-2009, 12:37 PM
Kick. That way we get the ball in the 3rd. I would like to start the game out with our defense, then get good field position on our first drive.

plenewken
01-31-2009, 12:43 PM
Kick first, have Warner taste our blitz package and have Fitz "socialize" with Clark early in the game.
Let's receive at the beginning of the 3rd quarter to put the final nail in the coffin.

stlrtruck
01-31-2009, 03:01 PM
If we win the toss, I say defer and then let the defense set the tone for the first series. If we lose the toss and they defer I say receive (of course) and let Ben prove to the world why he is just as much an MVP QB as Warner has ever been.

43Hitman
01-31-2009, 03:12 PM

I forsee an abbreviated tenure in your Forum experience.

Hahaha!

cubanstogie
01-31-2009, 03:14 PM
Kick and hold them to 3 and out or better yet a turnover. Nerves will be a bigger factor on offense than defense IMO. If we get it in the second half Ben will already be in the flow of game.

Potsie
01-31-2009, 03:14 PM
Initially this season, I wasn't a fan of defering, but it's won me over. I'd say kick it, and let our defense slow them up.

TheManOfSteel
01-31-2009, 03:22 PM
Kickoff... Recieve in the 3rd. No doubt

devilsdancefloor
01-31-2009, 03:24 PM
Defer put our strenthon the field and that way hopefully we can get a last sec FG drive int he 2nd Qtr and then get another drive!! :tt03:

CPanther95
01-31-2009, 03:25 PM
Defer - No question.

I want as early a view of Wiz's plan vs. LeBeau so we can start planning adjustments right away - if necessary.

Stillers33
01-31-2009, 03:42 PM
I'd say receive, we get ball 1st tear apart the cards d, our defense lights up bam before you know we got a six pack:tt02:

Cape Cod Steel Head
01-31-2009, 03:44 PM
Kick! D on the field first!

SteelCurtain7
01-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Receive the ball for the second half. Send a message to Kurt and the Deadbirds opening drive with a three-and-out or a turnover. :tt:

stlrtruck
01-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Receive the ball for the second half. Send a message to Kurt and the Deadbirds opening drive with a three-and-out or a turnover for a TD. :tt:

I fixed it for you :tt03:

jjpro11
01-31-2009, 04:51 PM
we have been deferring all year.. so i dont see anything different this time around. besides, reed likes doing the kickoff to open the super bowl.. i thought i remember hearing him say he was glad they lost the coin toss in SB XL so he could do it and have all the flash bulbs going off.

stlrtruck
01-31-2009, 05:25 PM
I've figured it out... I want both.

Kick Arse
Receive the 6th Lombardi

HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO

Benzbrother
01-31-2009, 05:28 PM
I say kick! Get a quick 3 and out and make a statement from the get-go that Warner and Fitz are gonna have a it tougher than when they played those soft defenses the last few weeks!

I also love having the ball at the start of the 2nd half....Get the lead in the first half (possibly put up some points right at the end of the half) and then get it back and sustain a long, time-consuming drive to start off the 3rd.

GO STEELERS!!!!:tt:

HometownGal
01-31-2009, 05:29 PM
Definitely kick. Let our D make their presence known to Messrs. Warner, James, Fitzgerald and Bouldin on the first series.

The Steelers have played much better second halves than firsts much of the season - I think Coach T must kick them all in their asses in the locker room at halftime. :buttkick: Hopefully, we'll have a nice lead at the 30 minute mark but in the event we are behind, let Ben work his magic as he always does and watch the wind die out of the sails of the Cards - courtesy of our D! :applaudit::tt03:

lilyoder6
01-31-2009, 05:32 PM
well both will suck rly.. b/c of the extended time between pre-game and the actual start of the game and then the end of the 2nd and the beginning of the 3rd... but if anything.. i would want the ball to start off with in the 2nd half

steelersfanman92
01-31-2009, 05:35 PM
I always like to recieve at the start of the game it lets u go down and score first and set the tempo for the rest of the game

WWIIOwheelz
01-31-2009, 05:51 PM
I like to receive the ball first, simply because it starts the other team on the losing side of the TOP battle, which is an incredibly important stat. Our team defense suffered badly this season at times, being on the field for the entire game, almost.

Handing the ball to the other team is wrong in any circumstance, to me.

JPSEMP
01-31-2009, 06:12 PM
I think we should kick it first and often. Stop them with a three and out and get the ball back with good field position for your first drive. Recieving first in the second half often leads to a productive first drive based on scheme changes made in the locker room.

Fire Haley
01-31-2009, 06:23 PM
Definitely kick.

You must be high as a kite on that salad wine vinegar again.

Big Ben will put up a 50 burger on the Cards if we let him.
:tt03:

Steeldude
01-31-2009, 07:10 PM
kick, always.

score at the end of the first half and you get the ball right back.

SteelCityKing
01-31-2009, 07:56 PM
kick, always.

score at the end of the first half and you get the ball right back.

*nods in agreement*

atleast in Madden, the team who kicks...wins. =)

ben7
01-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Definatley kick, it gives you when watching something to look forward to.

CPanther95
01-31-2009, 08:30 PM
Just to clarify, we'd never choose to "kick" - we'd choose to defer.

If they win the toss, and defer, we would choose to receive.

CanadianSteel
01-31-2009, 08:44 PM
Follow the winning formula and defer to second half.

I have also been pondering what the Cards would do if they win the toss...... They may just take the ball thinking their Ofeense can set the tone... mistake # 1....

TeeJay
01-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Whatever happened to if you won the toss, you elected to kick or receive that half - simple.

Now it seems it all depends on how the plane of Jupitor is sitting on the axis of Saturn, assuming the wind is from the south-west.

Just f**king call heads or tails.......and decide whether to kick or receive it in the first half!!

This isn't rocket science!

CPanther95
01-31-2009, 09:40 PM
Now if you choose to kick, your opponent can choose to receive at the start of the 2nd half. Nobody has been dumb enough to do that yet.

It's easier to just look at it as you get to have first pick in either the first half or you can have first pick in the second half. You pick between A or B:

A) Who kicks off.
B) Which side you want to defend.