PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich: Could be happy coming back as a back-up.

klick81
01-31-2009, 12:55 PM
Leftwich doesn't close Steelers' door
By Vito Stellino Story updated at 2:31 AM on Saturday, Jan. 31, 2009
TAMPA - The longer Byron Leftwich soaks up the Super Bowl atmosphere this week, the more attractive the option of staying in Pittsburgh is looking to him.

On media day Tuesday, Leftwich talked about hitting the free-agent market and becoming a starter for another team.

By the time the media interviews ended Thursday, Leftwich wasn't ruling out the option of staying in Pittsburgh.

"Never count the Pittsburgh Steelers out of my equation because this year meant so much to me," he said.

"Everybody's always saying, 'well, you'll go here or you'll go there,' " he said. "What if I'm back in black and gold next year in the same situation? It's a situation that, ultimately, as much fun as I had, I know I could be happy with."

Although he added he didn't know if he could be happy not being a starter, he said, "I'll tell you man, this is a great organization, a great head coach, a great group of guys, and if I do move on, it's going to be tough because I've had so much fun."

Leftwich has spent the week giving the Steelers defense a look at how Arizona quarterback Kurt Warner plays and coach Mike Tomlin has been lavish in his praise of the quarterback's work on the scout team.

Even when Leftwich threw three interceptions in practice Thursday, Tomlin credited good play by the Steelers defense and not poor throws from Leftwich.

"I can't say enough about the quality of work we're getting from Byron Leftwich," Tomlin said.

http://www.jacksonville.com/sports/football/jaguars/2009-01-31/story/leftwich_doesnt_close_steelers_door

Amazing what one season as a Pittsburgh Steelers family member can do to a person's opinion! This is not saying that he'll be back for sure, but it's good to know that he is at least thinking about coming back for the Black & Gold. :tt02:

43Hitman
01-31-2009, 01:00 PM
I love that guys attitude since coming here. And having a franchise type quarterback as a back-up is very fortunate.

KeiselPower99
01-31-2009, 01:01 PM
I do hope he sticks around. But as a Byron fan I think he is way to damn talented to be a backup.

stillers4me
01-31-2009, 01:02 PM
I would love to see him stay. Both times that he took over for Ben, I never even worried. He certainly deserves a starters job, but hey....if staying makes him happy, who are we to argue?

And I bet he did a great job preparing our D for Zona. It could be that practicing against Byron was one of the reasons our D performed so good this year. Pay the man to stay!

fansince'76
01-31-2009, 01:18 PM
Still doubt he'll be back, but I'll be sorry to see him go.

Fire Haley
01-31-2009, 01:20 PM
Didn't we just have this conversation?

I stick with my perdiction.

VegasStlrFan
01-31-2009, 01:29 PM
Would be great if he stayed, unfortunately I doubt he will.

I'm sure his running the scout team has helped our secondary this year more than we Know.

BozMan
01-31-2009, 01:53 PM
What do we do with Batch if Leftwich is willing to stay at a reasonable price?

AllD
01-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Batch would go to Arizona if Byron gets another one year contract. He even said this year made him a better QB. Why not try to repeat, especially if they give him $1-$2.m which was Batch money.

The Duke
01-31-2009, 02:09 PM
He would be smart to stay. best chance to be a champion

He can start in the league though. He should take some offers first. Test your potential

If he stays batch is gone

TeeJay
01-31-2009, 02:28 PM
As much as I like Lefty, I like Charlie more......................hmmm, that could'ave come out better!

Let's just keep them both!

*Edit*
Charlie has to end his career wearing the Black and Gold, before a capacity Heinz Field....it's only fitting.

Potsie
I'd love to see the guy stick around, but at the same time I am a big Batch fan too. Not only for his play on the field, but he's does a ton for the community around here, and the people love him for it.

SunshineMan21
I like Byron a lot and would love to have him back, but there are plenty of teams willing to let him start.

WWIIOwheelz
01-31-2009, 02:37 PM
I would love for the Steelers to keep Byron on board. Ben is concussion-prone, and Byron can very capably stand in, giving defenses a very different weapon to deal with, and the Steelers are much stronger for that. That said, I think the world of Charlie Batch, too.

From a team standpoint, Byron is the best choice for the same amount of money.

Steelman16
01-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Heck, if Byron has any inclination to stay, by all means keep him!

I don't think Ben is concussion prone though. He's had some unusual circumstances, not to mention horrible pass protection for the majority of his career.

stillers4me
01-31-2009, 02:46 PM
I still think Charlie would be great in some type of coaching capacity. He is a strong locker room presence and his teammates think the world of him. I read that he played a big role in Santonio manning up and going in front of the team and apologizing when he screwed up. We all know that Dixon was drafted to replace him, anyway in a few years. I would be surprised if he didn't intend on retire after this year anyway, before the injury happened.

Tomlin's no dummy......I'm sure he sees the value in both guys.

KeiselPower99
01-31-2009, 03:22 PM
If Batch stays around and Byron leaves I think Dixon would be the number 2 guy.

ricksteelers55
01-31-2009, 03:54 PM
If Lefty is coming back we need to keep Charlie as a coach.We have to find him a place or a job in the organisation.

I dont know if Charlie would be willing to call it quit but Id be sad to see him leave,altough on a football perspective Id prefer to have Byron back next year.

stlrtruck
01-31-2009, 04:33 PM
*Edit*
Charlie has to end his career wearing the Black and Gold, before a capacity Heinz Field....it's only fitting.

And you think being at the Super Bowl before a capacity crowd where 80-90% are Steelers fans wouldn't be as fitting?

Edman
01-31-2009, 04:54 PM
You can never have too many capable quarterbacks on the roster. Byron stepped in for Ben and we never missed a beat.

Byron has been a wonderful teammate in his short time here and I'll be sorry to see him go. I always felt he was a given a raw deal in Jacksonville. He's too talented to be a backup.

I say let him test out the FA market, and if nobody signs him, sign him back.

MasterOfPuppets
01-31-2009, 04:56 PM
lefty is fortunate that this is the year he showed he can still play in the nfl...there's a lot of teams that should be looking for an upgrade at QB.....
Detroit
KC
SF
Buffalo
NY
Chicago
Tampa........ i think tampa's new HC may just give tomlin a call, for a reference for lefty.

HometownGal
01-31-2009, 05:24 PM
I love Lefty and though I hope he stays in the Burgh as he is a perfect fit with the team, he would be nuts to pass up the opportunity (and the big bucks) to start for another team, as he's only 29 years old and still has a good 8-10 years left in the NFL if he can stay healthy. He may be the type of guy, however, that doesn't make the green his top priority and if so, I would be thrilled to have him stay on with the black 'n gold! :tt02:

Admittedly, though I love Charlie as a person and as a member of the team I love, I was never comfortable with him behind center. When Byron has had to come in, I've never had that pit in my stomach that I did with Charlie. He's been a gem and not only do the coaches and his teammates love him, Steelers fans have warmed up to him very quickly.

Whatever you decide to do Lefty - I'll be happy for you. :drink:

lilyoder6
01-31-2009, 05:27 PM
i think lefty got his career back on track with the steelers this yr.. hopefully he can be successful where ever he goes

NEPAsteeler
01-31-2009, 05:54 PM
Whatever Byron decides to do, I can do nothing but wish him the best of luck! :thumbsup:

JPSEMP
01-31-2009, 06:02 PM
Leftwich would be crazy to stay, success means so much more when your out on the field contributing. He has way to much talent to remain a back-up and your window of oppurtunity is only so long. Who would have thought 25-5 years ago that we would have an excess of talent at the QB spot.

Steeler in Carolina
01-31-2009, 08:31 PM
I say he goes to either Chicago or Tampa.

stlrtruck
01-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Maybe just for shites and giggles, Lefty can stop by in Jacksonville and show the faguars what a trophy looks like in person.

KeiselPower99
01-31-2009, 09:45 PM
Maybe just for shites and giggles, Lefty can stop by in Jacksonville and show the faguars what a trophy looks like in person.

And stop in Atlanta also

Galax Steeler
02-01-2009, 07:18 AM
I would love to see him stay with Batch getting some age on him and probabley won't be in the league much longer Byron would make a great back up to Ben.