PDA

View Full Version : This is it! We must win!

clevestinks
01-01-2006, 08:56 AM
Steelers still need a victory today
Sunday, January 01, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The bus ride's been fun, but now it's about over

The Steelers lost an opportunity to clinch a playoff spot last night and render their game today against the Detroit Lions meaningless.

Denver's 23-7 victory in San Diego yesterday puts the onus back on the Steelers to defeat the Lions today to make it as the AFC's sixth playoff team. If the Steelers lose, they would only make the playoffs if the Cincinnati Bengals upset the Chiefs in Kansas City today.

By losing, the Chargers, previously eliminated from making the playoffs, slipped to 9-7 and took themselves out of the playoff equation. At 10-6, the Steelers needed either to earn the playoff spot outright or finish in a three-way tie with San Diego and Kansas City. If only the Steelers and Chiefs finish at 10-6, Kansas City earns the berth based on a better record in the AFC.

The Steelers have prepared all week as if they must beat the Lions to make the playoffs, counting on no one else's help. Coach Bill Cowher told his players not to even talk about the other possibilities.

"We've been playing the last couple weeks like it's a one-game season for us and we have to continue to do that," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "This week is no different. We expect them to come in and play very hard and we have to have our 'A' game."

The other drama today if the Steelers beat the Lions will come in Kansas City and New England. If the Bengals beat the Chiefs or the Patriots lose to Miami, the Steelers will open the playoffs at Cincinnati next week. But if the Bengals lose and the Patriots win, the Steelers will play in New England.

clevestinks
01-01-2006, 08:58 AM
Win and in! Here We Go Steelers! Here WE GO!
3 hours til kickoff

SteelR1
01-01-2006, 08:59 AM
I cant wait, Let's get this game going!!!!

clevestinks
01-01-2006, 09:15 AM
"I think it's very important you don't get caught up in all the 'what if' scenarios," Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher said. "I think our football team needs to prepare mentally to play this football game like it's a home playoff game."

Steelerbabe28
01-01-2006, 09:36 AM
I like our chance of getting in and going into the playoffs with a lot of momentum after we spank those Lions. Their beat up offense has no chance at all against our defense. We should have them beat by halftime where our backups can put the nail in the coffin in the second half.

Who is the starting QB for the Lions ? Harrington or Garcia? Either way, Im not too worried. The Steelers have always made Garcias play look horrible. It looks like he has to put everything he has into the ball to make it go 40 yards and never on target. And Oh my gooodness, i have never seen a head that ugly. Hopefully he wont ruin the game for me and the cameras wont show him with his helmet off.

Prosdo
01-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Let's go Steelers! Our backs are against the wall. Go out there and prove why you're one of the best!

MichiSteeler
01-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Just makin sure, if we win, were guaranteed right? Theres no way KC can get in after we dominate?

clevestinks
01-01-2006, 03:41 PM
This Is a must win. And we did! Congrats Steelers!

Prosdo
01-01-2006, 03:52 PM
Yep. Big congrats to the Steelers. Everyone was saying us making the playoffs was a long shot a month ago, but we got it done!

SteelCityMan786
01-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Congrats Steelers. Good Job. And 1st Stop On The Road To Detroit.......Cincinnati.