PDA

View Full Version : Family members attend final Steelers practice

nojobny
01-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Super Bowl News

Steelers take part in final practice before Super Bowl XLIII

National Football League

TAMPA, Fla. -- With approximately 250 family members and friends watching from the end zone, and Rev. Jesse Jackson invited as a special guest of head coach Mike Tomlin, the Pittsburgh Steelers held a 38-minute walkthrough at the University of South Florida on Saturday morning, their final on-field practice before Super Bowl XLIII.

The Steelers did not have family members and friends at their final walkthrough practice prior to Super Bowl XL, under former coach Bill Cowher.

"We had some people who have been special to us come to practice today -- family members and high school coaches," Tomlin said. "It's not a big deal to us, but it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for them. We wanted to show our appreciation for what they've done for us by allowing them to be a part of it."

Of Jackson's presence, Tomlin said, "I got to know him recently. He's a fan of football, a supporter of us, and we appreciate it."

Other guests at practice included Florida State safety and Rhodes Scholar Myron Rolle and Mike Utley, the paralyzed former Detroit Lions offensive lineman. Utley, who took a picture with Tomlin after practice, was a guest of Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert.

"I had the good fortune of working for the Detroit Lions when Mike Utley was one of our players, and it was real special to have him be able to share this with us," Colbert said.

At the end of the practice, Tomlin called all family members and friends to the middle of one of the two practice fields at the University of South Florida, shouting out instructions as a team photographer -- standing high on a ladder -- snapped a large group picture. Tomlin then stayed on the field for 37 minutes signing autographs and taking individual pictures with players' families. Many players brought their own cameras and video recorders to the practice.

Asked if he was pleased with the health-related progress of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and wide receiver Hines Ward, Tomlin said "both guys are fine." Roethlisberger took a shot to the kidney area in the AFC Championship Game Jan. 18, and Ward strained his right knee in that game.

With Saturday's walkthrough practice being held at half speed, Ward did not wear a brace over his injured right knee as he did earlier in the week. He walked through drills at a normal pace.

Summing up the week, Tomlin said, "It's been good. Ultimately, though, it will be judged by how we perform tomorrow. We understand that."

Tomlin also thanked the University of South Florida for the hospitality shown to the Steelers.

"We appreciate them opening up their facility to us," he said. "We felt more than welcome."

link (http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story?id=09000d5d80e7a865&template=without-video&confirm=true)

WWIIOwheelz
01-31-2009, 06:47 PM
Mike Tomlin is simply a class act. He says and does all the right things effortlessly, it seems.

We're quite lucky to have him.

nojobny
01-31-2009, 06:54 PM
I think it was great idea and you're right, Tomlin leads by example and we are truly lucky.

HometownGal
01-31-2009, 07:04 PM
What a nice gesture by Coach T! Doesn't surprise me in the least - the guy is a class act all the way around and is a huge family man himself. :drink:

I almost stopped reading the article when I saw the name

Jesse Jackson :horror:

but I am glad I decided to finish reading. :thumbsup:

TeeJay
01-31-2009, 07:27 PM
Day by day and week by week Coach Tomlin is proving himself to be the man.

Turned a great D into an awesome D, an O line that was written off at the start of the season, into one that believes in themselves, and turned an unplayable schedule in to a 12 -4 season.

The NFL should be in fear, cause Steeler coaches tend to remain around for a long time. And they'll trample records and reputations without fear or intimidation. Cause it's Black and Gold Baby........you play in Black and Gold you have a family behind you. And behind that family is a Nation.

Black and Gold....that's all it is. Two colours, but two colours that unite a planet, more than any Politician could dream about. And Tomlin's at the helm.......for a few years yet.

Black and Gold Baby......Black and Gold!

SC Steeler Steve
01-31-2009, 07:45 PM

Turned a great D into an awesome D, an O line that was written off at the start of the season, into one that believes in themselves, and turned an unplayable schedule in to a 12 -4 season.

The NFL should be in fear, cause Steeler coaches tend to remain around for a long time. And they'll trample records and reputations without fear or intimidation. Cause it's Black and Gold Baby........you play in Black and Gold you have a family behind you. And behind that family is a Nation.

Black and Gold....that's all it is. Two colours, but two colours that unite a planet, more than any Politician could dream about. And Tomlin's at the helm.......for a few years yet.

THIS^^^^^^^ I think Tomlin with the help of Big Ben will win this one and at least 2 more. He is a class act. The Rooneys sure know how to pick 'em.
HELL YEAH BABY BLACK AND GOLD

STARTING ON THE OTHER HAND.

BrandonCarr39
01-31-2009, 07:51 PM

There was also an article in the Dallas Morning News Sports section this week about Mike Tomlin-Jean Jacques Taylor made comparisons of Tomlin with Wade Phillips...how Tomlin refined Cowher's system, while Phillips regressed Parcells' system.

stillers4me
01-31-2009, 09:42 PM
The more I learn about our Coach Tomlin, the more impressed I am. Whether we win or lose tomorrow (but of course we'll win!), he has made sure that this week was truly a memorable one for the players, their families and the fans. Thank you Dan and Art for choosing Mike Tomlin to lead our team into the future!

CanadianSteel
01-31-2009, 09:50 PM
Class move by Tomlin for sure, but in these days of "patriot games" is it also a bit of a risky move inviting all those eyes to the final Superbowl walkthrough... $$$ can buy off allot of people....Please tell me I am way off base here......

4xSBChamps
01-31-2009, 10:10 PM
The more I learn about our Coach Tomlin, the more impressed I am.

+ tax!!!!!

SteelersMongol
02-01-2009, 04:41 AM
Class move by Tomlin for sure, but in these days of "patriot games" is it also a bit of a risky move inviting all those eyes to the final Superbowl walkthrough... $$$ can buy off allot of people....Please tell me I am way off base here......

I'm kinda hoping that only people that could be trustworthy were invited. :noidea:

Stlrs4Life
02-01-2009, 09:56 AM
What a nice gesture by Coach T! Doesn't surprise me in the least - the guy is a class act all the way around and is a huge family man himself. :drink:

I almost stopped reading the article when I saw the name

Jesse Jackson :horror:

but I am glad I decided to finish reading. :thumbsup:

I am no fan of Jesse Jackson, but rather see him there thatn that fat blubber tub of Lard Rush Limbaugh there.