View Full Version : Arians: Don't forget about his 3 WRs

mesaSteeler
02-01-2009, 12:36 AM
Arians: Don't forget about his 3 WRs
Coordinator says Steelers could put up similar numbers to Cardinals if needed
Sunday, February 01, 2009
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09032/945902-66.stm

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

TAMPA, Fla. -- There is no team in the league that would not sell its soul to have Arizona's three wide receivers.

Well, maybe one.

"I'm not trading my three for their three," the Steelers' Bruce Arians declared.

As offensive coordinator for a team in tonight's Super Bowl, perhaps Arians felt compelled to say that publicly. After all, Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin and Steve Breaston each topped 1,000 yards receiving. They combined for 3,475 yards on 262 catches.

Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes and Nate Washington came in with nearly 1,000 yards fewer and caught 86 fewer passes. Their 15 touchowns are puny compared to the 26 the Cardinals' trio rang up.

Arians did not flinch. Even up, he'll keep the three he has over the three who will dress in red tonight.

"Larry's a beast, and Anquan's done a good job, and Breaston's done a good job," Arians said. "But I'm not trading Hines Ward for anybody."

The statistical evidence is overwhelming for the Arizona threesome, but Arians came armed with his own data to back up his opinion. It has something to do with how often each team passes, along with little things such as throwing blocks.

The Cardinals threw 630 passes in 2008; the Steelers 506.

"I know these guys, I like what they bring," Arians said of his trio. "Each one is capable of going deep or taking a short pass and going the distance. And they'll all block.

"And Hines' heartbeat is something you can't take out of this football team."

There has been more focus on Ward's right knee than anything else about the Steelers' receivers, except when Santonio Holmes told a story about selling drugs on street corners when he was 10 years old, which got some attention.

Other than that, it has been Arizona's receiving trio that has been the pre-Super Bowl darling, and rightfully so. Fitzgerald not only was an All-Pro during the season, he has continued it in the playoffs with 419 yards and five touchdowns in three games, looking like a Lynn Swann Super Bowl highlight on many of them.

"I keep telling the media, it's not a competition with those guys," Washington said of all the attention his counterparts in red received. "We're not competing against their receiving corps. Their individual success and success as a group, that doesn't matter to us. People can say they are better than our receiving corps, but that's not what we're worried about. We're worried about coming out and getting a ring."

Ward led the Steelers with 81 receptions, 1,043 yards and seven touchdowns, his most productive season since 2003.

Arians declared that his three receivers could put up the same statistics as Arizona's if he chose to play that way.

"There's no doubt."

And produce three 1,000-yard men?

"Easily. If you throw it 55 times a game, it's easy to get a thousand. You're going to complete 35 balls.''

Why not do it then?

"I don't think you can win that way," Arians said.

But aren't the Arizona Cardinals here tonight?

"Yeah," Arians said, laughing. "But they changed."

Coach Ken Whisenhunt's Cardinals rediscovered the ground game in the playoffs after going just 9-7 in the regular season. In three postseason games, Arizona averaged 111 yards rushing on 33 carries, compared to an average of 73.6 yards rushing and 21.3 carries in the regular season.

When necessary, Arians claimed his passing game can match Arizona's.

"We had to play spread for a month when we were down to 1 1/2 running backs, and you play to the strength you have at the time. Willie [Parker] was gone, Rashard [Mendenhall] was gone, and then we lost Heath [Miller]."

Roethlisberger passed for 309 yards in a comeback victory against Jacksonville, 280 in a loss to Indianapolis, 308 in a one-point victory against San Diego and 329 in a loss at Tennessee.

Those were the four most productive games from a yardage standpoint, yet the Steelers went 2-2 and barely won those.

Still, it's available tonight if they need it, Arians said. The spread, the no-huddle, the empty set, all of it.

"It's something that I don't have any problem with doing in this ballgame."
Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com.
First published on February 1, 2009 at 12:00 am

Benzbrother
02-01-2009, 12:40 AM
I LOVE it! Stickin with his guys til the end!
GO STEELERS!!

revefsreleets
02-01-2009, 01:42 PM
Why not? Our receivers are much more physical than there's are...toss in the fact that we don't throw the ball anywhere near as much as they do, and who knows?

markymarc
02-01-2009, 02:28 PM
It was funny this afternoon on the NFL Network Marshall Faulk actually said none of our WRs could start on the Cardinals team. Just another reason I hate Faulk now. Guy is a tool.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-01-2009, 02:37 PM
It was funny this afternoon on the NFL Network Marshall Faulk actually said none of our WRs could start on the Cardinals team. Just another reason I hate Faulk now. Guy is a tool.

Wow :laughing:

fansince'76
02-01-2009, 02:42 PM

And there isn't a player on their D that could start on ours.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Just about to say the same exact thing

KeiselPower99
02-01-2009, 02:52 PM
They can continue to suck the red knob until 10 tonight.

KeiselPower99
02-01-2009, 04:47 PM

I disagree with that but I think we have an advantage in out TE. Heath and Matt are better then anything Phoenix has.

HometownGal
02-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Great to see that Bruce totally believes in his players! :thumbsup: Our receiver tandem may not be as "popular" as Arizona's, but they all can pack a punch when called upon to do so. We have the trump card that the Cards don't have . . . .

HEAAAAAAATH! :tt03:

Preacher
02-01-2009, 05:03 PM
The only one I would want is Fitzgerald,

and that is because reminds me very much of a Steeler receiver. Nice and physical. I would think he would take to blocking pretty dang well.