PDA

View Full Version : Defense came thru in the end, but left alot to be desired

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Not exactly the way you wanna head into the playoffs in a must win game. We made harrington look like a pro bowler for alot of the game. They came thru in the clutch when they had to in the 2nd half so credit them for that, but you gotta think Lebeau wanted to play alot of zone today in the secondary thinking that between the pass rush and harringtons inability to play well, that would be enough. Clearly it wasnt but they did play well when they had too but we better step it up next week !!

Did we underestimate the Lions offense today ? yeah I think maybe based on the stats thru 3 quarters atleast.

clevestinks
01-01-2006, 04:28 PM
No doubt Blitz! We have to play better than that. We need to get more pressure!

LambertIsGod58
01-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Steelers struggle on getting off the field on 3rd down. It seems that every team that plays them tries to stretch the field. And allowing the Lions of all teams over 100yds rushing? They don't have time for this....

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2006, 04:31 PM
There was zero pressure on Joey almost all day, it was just pathetic watching the middle of field left so open becuz we couldnt get to him in the pocket !

clevestinks
01-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Everyone wants to beat us with the short passes hoping to break one! This seems to work against our blitz

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2006, 04:47 PM
If we would play more press coverage in the secondary and mix up alittle more w/ Troy in coverage as well as playing run we could sure up that middle of the field !

Prosdo
01-01-2006, 04:53 PM
The defense was a bit frustrating. They were letting them complete way too many third downs. Especially the long ones.

clevestinks
01-01-2006, 06:01 PM
Prosdo is right, third down has been a problem all year. Our defensive linemen need to help out and get more pressure

MichiSteeler
01-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Even in the end, i feel our defense under-performed. I dont know who told our defense that you will do better if u give up every 3rd down but im glad somebody told em that thats not the rules.. Geeze... Made the lions look like the Colts. I was very dissappointed in the defense today. If we can get shredded by the lions... the bungles will make us piss ourselves... Lets step it up, and play smashmouth, STEELERS FOOTBALL!! COME ON!!! HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO!! LETS BE THE WILDCARD SUPER BOWL CHAMP!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-01-2006, 10:02 PM
Prosdo is right, third down has been a problem all year. Our defensive linemen need to help out and get more pressure

Dont forget the OLB's needing to get there too..

24seven
01-02-2006, 03:03 AM
not only was our third down D pathetic .. But Rothlisburger was horrifying to watch as well.. he looked like he did in the Jets game last year.. Joey was twice the qb Ben was today and that's almost a compliment.. We just need to all around step up.. Special teams won us this game hands down.. If we don't stop the 3rd downs and cover hushmanzada or however you spell his name were toast.. Palmer will pick us alive.. Ben just has to stay focused and see the field better than ever to pull this one out.. As long as he plays like the first meeting we'll be good.. And Parker needs 100.. easy goals then it's off to Indy.. Please God.. please let them be bowl bound!!!!!!!!!!!

Prosdo
01-02-2006, 03:24 AM
One aspect I wasn't too thrilled about either was the dropped passes.

Sharkissle29
01-02-2006, 03:36 AM
we'll be alright, we're in a lot better shape than the bengals are right now thats for sure. they have been struggling the past few weeks. if our defense comes to play (which it should, lot of playoff vets) we will have NO problem beating them.

Suitanim
01-02-2006, 09:06 AM
Some things to think about:
Defense played better in the second half
Detroit DOES have a lot of weapons and had a great gameplane
Harrington played much better than usual
He was taking a lot of 3 step drops to reduce pressure
The 3rd and 13 was all on Ike...when Harrington looked like he was going to run, Ike broke on him and left his man open, so what should have been a forced punt turned in to a long pass.

As for Ben, he didn't look terribly sharp, but there were 5 dropped passes.

clevestinks
01-02-2006, 09:48 AM
All great points. Even Hines Ward had a couple drops, and Cedric Wilson dropped one right between the numbers.
The defense did step it up in the second half. And Harrington was playong for his future, whether it be in Detroit or elsewhere. But the intensity of last weeks game wasn`t there, at least it didn`t seem like it. That needs to change, we need to also get pressure consistantly.

MichiSteeler
01-02-2006, 11:36 AM
And we have to get back to our Steeler gameplan. The blitz wasnt effecting them at all! What is wrong in the world when the Pittsburgh Steelers defense isnt effective with the blitz??

clevestinks
01-02-2006, 12:09 PM
For the second week in a row, we realized why our defensive players are on defense. We dropped a few more easy interceptions again yesterday. And againstthe brownies , we had our hands on everything and couldn`t hold on. Defense how about some stickem

BB2W
01-02-2006, 12:28 PM
I totally agree with you BRC... I thought we could have played much better. The Steelers have a way of making the worst quarterbacks on the worst teams look great. Also, we have not played our best at home... I would rather take to the road for the playoffs.