PDA

View Full Version : The Drunks Are Taking Over The City

HometownGal
02-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Reports on KDKA that cars are being turned over in the South Side, fires are being started in Oakland and people are throwing things at police. WTF is wrong with these people??? I hope they all get thrown in the slammer. :mad: :mad:

fansince'76
02-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Same thing happened here in Denver in '98 and '99. I don't understand why people think they can destroy other peoples' property when a sports team wins a championship. :mad:

BrandonCarr39
02-01-2009, 10:28 PM
Same thing happened here in Denver in '98 and '99. I don't understand why people think they can destroy other peoples' property when a sports team wins a championship. :mad:

Just imagine if the Eagles finally win a Super Bowl-Philly would FREAKING IMPLODE!:doh:

jjpro11
02-01-2009, 10:28 PM

i remember the avalanche had insane street riots after their stanley cup wins. whats up with people in denver? they're nuts. lol

Jaquila
02-01-2009, 10:29 PM
not the right way to celebrate... get drunk? sure why not? but behavior like that must be punished!

HometownGal
02-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Just imagine if the Eagles finally win a Super Bowl-Philly would FREAKING IMPLODE!:doh:

Well - that might actually improve Filthadelphia's overall appearance. :chuckle:

fansince'76
i remember the avalanche had insane street riots after their stanley cup wins. whats up with people in denver? they're nuts. lol

Thin air due to the altitude. :crazy01: :chuckle:

Pittsburghfan

Implode huh? Well.. Just saw on channel 4. A guy spraying lighter fluid on a couch and no cops to be found.

devilsdancefloor
02-01-2009, 10:32 PM
Idiots! that makes me so mad!

HometownGal
02-01-2009, 10:33 PM
not the right way to celebrate... get drunk? sure why not? but behavior like that must be punished!

They're acting like morons because they are drunk. Police now showing up in riot gear and are making arrests. :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
02-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Great. And guess where I work? Oakland :doh:

I knew things would get out of hand. You get a bunch of drunk college students together, and the shit hits the fan. And the cops? What can they really do? There aren't enough of them to handle a crowd like that, and they have to be careful not to go overboard with using force if necessary. The riot squad needs to be called in, or the SWAT team, to help out.

T.Richardson
02-01-2009, 10:35 PM
I should have expected Oakland would be the area. What would you expect with an area with 90% college students.

RunWillieRun
02-01-2009, 10:36 PM
Time to get out the fire hoses!

silverbackattack
02-01-2009, 10:44 PM
If someone is close to Oakland go out and tell the idiots to stop already.......

We want a town left for the parade......

These people should be locked up for a couple weeks and let them miss some classes. We're looking like a bunch of WVU fans.................

What idiots.

mesaSteeler
02-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Fans' exuberance floods Pittsburgh, draws police
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_609820.html

By Mike Wereschagin, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, February 1, 2009
About the writer

Mike Wereschagin can be reached via e-mail or at 412-320-7900.

Jubilant fans flooded the streets from Oakland to the South Side, cheering the Steelers victory and testing police forces with fires, fireworks and broken windows.

Pittsburgh firefighters blew the horns on trucks in celebration all over the city. Cars broke through barricades on the 10th Street Bridge to get into the South Side.

In Oakland, thousands of people filled the green in front of the Cathedral of Learning. Some set trees on fire and tore No Parking signs from the ground. A bus shelter was torn down at the corner of Forbes and Schenley avenues.

It took only seconds for the first reports of someone setting a couch on fire in the streets, the first of many incidents of burning furniture, garbage cans and trash bins throughout the city, mostly in Oakland. The first half hour of celebration was relatively peaceful but as the night progressed, police responded to more reports of crowds getting out of control and made arrests.

Jeff Brancolini, 29, of Shadyside stood atop a planter on Walnut Street in Shadyside playing an accordion while Roxanne Churilla, 48, of Gibsonia played backup on bazooka horn.

Around them a crowd of several hundred congregated in the middle of Walnut Street. Police periodically pulled up with lights and horns flashing. It only excited the elated fans more.

A 25-year-old man was injured when he was hit by a car outside a bar along Brownsville Road in Carrick. There was no immediate report on the extent of his injuries.

In the South Side, crowds filling East Carson Street watched as revelers bounced bottle rockets off the third floor of a building at 17th Street.

"It's very surreal to be amongst people who are so passionate about sports," said Tom Brown, 32, of Ottawa, Canada, who watched the game at Piper's Pub in the South Side.

BrandonCarr39
02-01-2009, 10:48 PM
If someone is close to Oakland go out and tell the idiots to stop already.......

We want a town left for the parade......

These people should be locked up for a couple weeks and let them miss some classes. We're looking like a bunch of WVU fans.................

What idiots.

For a minute, I thought it was OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA!:doh:

Edman
02-01-2009, 10:48 PM
The fan behavior was better after the XL win.

Stover4Prez
02-01-2009, 10:49 PM
What the crap is wrong with people? Honestly, it is exciting, but burning your city down to celebrate is moronic.

nojobny
02-01-2009, 10:50 PM
I don't know all the areas around Pittsburgh. (I know how to get from the airport to Heinz Field!)

Where is Oakland in relation to the stadium?

Benzbrother
02-01-2009, 10:51 PM
Yea this really makes me mad too...I guess I just don't understand rioting after huge wins. I was in a sub shop in Oakland a few weeks ago and there we police there talking about how many cops were going to be on duty tonight....Trust me by the sounds of that convo these idiots will definitely get what they have coming

T.Richardson
02-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Fans' exuberance floods Pittsburgh, draws police
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_609820.html

By Mike Wereschagin, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, February 1, 2009
About the writer

Mike Wereschagin can be reached via e-mail or at 412-320-7900.

Jubilant fans flooded the streets from Oakland to the South Side, cheering the Steelers victory and testing police forces with fires, fireworks and broken windows.

Pittsburgh firefighters blew the horns on trucks in celebration all over the city. Cars broke through barricades on the 10th Street Bridge to get into the South Side.

In Oakland, thousands of people filled the green in front of the Cathedral of Learning. Some set trees on fire and tore No Parking signs from the ground. A bus shelter was torn down at the corner of Forbes and Schenley avenues.

It took only seconds for the first reports of someone setting a couch on fire in the streets, the first of many incidents of burning furniture, garbage cans and trash bins throughout the city, mostly in Oakland. The first half hour of celebration was relatively peaceful but as the night progressed, police responded to more reports of crowds getting out of control and made arrests.

Jeff Brancolini, 29, of Shadyside stood atop a planter on Walnut Street in Shadyside playing an accordion while Roxanne Churilla, 48, of Gibsonia played backup on bazooka horn.

Around them a crowd of several hundred congregated in the middle of Walnut Street. Police periodically pulled up with lights and horns flashing. It only excited the elated fans more.

A 25-year-old man was injured when he was hit by a car outside a bar along Brownsville Road in Carrick. There was no immediate report on the extent of his injuries.

In the South Side, crowds filling East Carson Street watched as revelers bounced bottle rockets off the third floor of a building at 17th Street.

"It's very surreal to be amongst people who are so passionate about sports," said Tom Brown, 32, of Ottawa, Canada, who watched the game at Piper's Pub in the South Side.

Is that near Schenley High School?

T.Richardson
02-01-2009, 10:55 PM
I don't know all the areas around Pittsburgh. (I know how to get from the airport to Heinz Field!)

probably like 2 or 3 minutes away.

SteelCurtain7
02-01-2009, 10:56 PM
This is the only thing I feared that would happen--ignoramuses using a Steelers SB win as an excuse to become total raving jackasses. :rolleyes:

Stlrs4Life
02-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah, it's all the drunks? It is Oakland, full of PITT FANS, they haven't had anything to cheer about since 1976! So don't paint all Drunks as the same as Oakland (or Pitt fans), thanks, cause I got drunk at a bar I was at too, and we didn't burn anything or turn over any cars.

X-Terminator
02-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Yeah, it's all the drunks? It is Oakland, full of PITT FANS, they haven't had anything to cheer about since 1976! So don't paint all Drunks as the same as Oakland (or Pitt fans), thanks, cause I got drunk at a bar I was at too, and we didn't burn anything or turn over any cars.

That's because you're a mature adult. We're talking about drunken college students. Big difference.

There was no painting with a broad brush, so settle down, man.

nojobny
02-01-2009, 11:00 PM
probably like 2 or 3 minutes away.

But where? Through the tunnel? Or over by Hard Rock where the ferry goes? or near downtown?

X-Terminator
02-01-2009, 11:03 PM
But where? Through the tunnel? Or over by Hard Rock where the ferry goes? or near downtown?

Oakland is where the University of Pittsburgh is, about 3 miles up Fifth Avenue from downtown. Fifth Avenue is where they're building the new office tower downtown, if you aren't familiar with it.

T.Richardson
02-01-2009, 11:05 PM

Its close to the Parkway East. Its pretty close to the downtown area.

Stlrs4Life
02-01-2009, 11:06 PM
That's because you're a mature adult. We're talking about drunken college students. Big difference.

There was no painting with a broad brush, so settle down, man.

Look at the name of the thread. They painted the entire nation.

X-Terminator
02-01-2009, 11:07 PM
Look at the name of the thread.

Are you REALLY getting upset over something this meaningless? I mean, those people were drunk, were they not?

shevdog
02-01-2009, 11:09 PM

I am trying hard to imagine and it is not good enough. Haha! Living in the Philly area, I will sport SIXburgh with full pride!

HometownGal
02-01-2009, 11:10 PM

Sorry, Dom - I calls it as I sees it. I have absolutely NO tolerance for drunken fools. Some of them will actually get behind the wheels of cars and risk injuring (or killing) innocent people.

Stlrs4Life
02-01-2009, 11:11 PM

Forbes Ave. If you no where Pitt is at real close.

kittenfantastico76
02-01-2009, 11:11 PM
I guess high fives all around isn't enough these days huh? :noidea:

T.Richardson
02-01-2009, 11:13 PM

These are College students, I wouldnt expect them to be mature... If it was people in the Shadyside district, then I would be disappointed.

Bob Russell
02-01-2009, 11:31 PM
What a shame. I'm wasted, and my son is trashed, but we have a driver. And we had a really good time. We had great food, fireworks and distroyed nothing. It has been a great day for me, my wife my sons and everyone else. We got toasted but we didn't get stupid. And I had to look at this several times B4 I posted it.
Wonder what I'll feel tomorrow? :tt02::tt::tt03:

Petesburgh66
02-01-2009, 11:43 PM
These drunks who often do this after a major championship are not true fans. They are just bandwagoners, who need a baton across the head from the police.

nojobny
02-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Oakland is where the University of Pittsburgh is, about 3 miles up Fifth Avenue from downtown. Fifth Avenue is where they're building the new office tower downtown, if you aren't familiar with it.

Ah. thank you very much. If I come in the day before games, I usually just chill out in my hotel so I really don't know the surrounding area very well except over by Robinson Town Center and the airport.

lambertlunaticfan
02-02-2009, 12:18 AM
did this happen after the 2005 super bowl xl win???.....its just funny to me,as its not our first sb win,so why be like this.....im not saying its ok to do it if it is,as its stubid to do this any time,and ive never understood people celebrating like this,i mean,my team won,lets burn a car.....what?.....:doh:.i guess im old fashion,i just hugged my brother and celebrated with my family,high fiving them......i guess what we shouldve done was go outside and knock over our mail box or something.......Reports on KDKA that cars are being turned over in the South Side, fires are being started in Oakland and people are throwing things at police. WTF is wrong with these people??? I hope they all get thrown in the slammer. :mad: :mad:

Preacher
02-02-2009, 12:52 AM

Yep.. mature adults know how to handle themselves.

These punks however, should be thrown in jail for a fortnight.

brick
02-02-2009, 12:54 AM
when i talked to my buddies at pitt and cmu they said people were going around throwing rocks through everyone's windows...is that how people celebrate these days??

X-Terminator
02-02-2009, 01:13 AM
I only wonder what Oakland is going to look like when I go to work in about 5 hours. I'm sure it won't be pretty. I have to go along that street in order to get there, so I'll be able to witness the carnage first-hand.

brick
02-02-2009, 01:14 AM
i wouldnt be surprised if they were still running around in the streets celebrating heh

CaliStillersFan
02-02-2009, 05:43 AM
Why burn a perfectly good couch, when there are so many old mills and warehouses that they could burn down that would actually improve the city. Someone needs to teach the young-ins how to do it right.

:rofl:

markymarc
02-02-2009, 07:07 AM
Really is sad that people have to celebrate a big win that way. Damn the bad apples.

bozz723
02-02-2009, 09:07 AM
The scene last night was glorious. I'm so hungover right now, and was drenched in beer walking the streets. Absolutely glorious, saw some couches burned, it was awesome. No one got hurt, and I didn't see anyone get arrested.

Again just glorious night.

plenewken
02-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Absolutely glorious, saw some couches burned, it was awesome.

Whatever...............................

TailgateMel
02-02-2009, 10:10 AM
The north shore was peaceful... McFaddens was PACKED... we had a great time (and had a driver)

Its all college kids burning the couches & crap over in Oakland...

T&B fan
02-02-2009, 10:30 AM
These drunks who often do this after a major championship are not true fans. They are just bandwagoners, who need a baton across the head from the police.

yup they are looking for anyreson to be fools , add young and drinking to it and you see what hapens .. dam shame true Steeles fans would not burn down there own town . dumbes do it :banging:

JPSEMP
02-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Fire trucks and water cannons put the fires out and the idiots that started them.

redst3
02-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Are you sure the drivers of the water cannon trucks weren't celebrating by turning the water cannons on people?:noidea:

:wink02: Just a little joke.....sorry i couldnt resist and I agree public destruction is not cool