PDA

View Full Version : For your considerations. Do we need a BIG back

mesaSteeler
02-02-2009, 12:10 AM
We had trouble twice punching in it and had to settle for field goals.

Do we need a big back?

Discuss

stillers4me
02-02-2009, 12:11 AM
Yes........but let's leave that for another day and celebrate being World Champions!!!!!!!!

fansince'76
02-02-2009, 12:11 AM
We still need a better OL.

scsteeler
02-02-2009, 12:12 AM

Do we need a big back?

Discuss

I would say we need a power back and we drafted one but he got hurt in his first start. I think we need to get some O-line personal in the draft and this will help more.

Dino 6 Rings
02-02-2009, 12:13 AM

Do we need a big back?

Discuss

We need mendenhall to be healthy...

that's about it.

Curtain_of_Steel
I keep yelling at tht eTV, WE CANT RUN, over and over, and they just dont listen, lol.

I like FWP. But if we don't get a oline that can create holes, we need to get a bettis-like back and move on. Im not so sure how durable jacobs is, but I like him. But I can't see us spending any big money on FA's.

Benzbrother
I think yea, we do need a BIG back....when the Bus was still playing I NEVER doubted a goal line TD...and now I almost wish Ben will be throwing at the goal line because I've seen us get stuffed so many times this season

MACH1

That and I'd like to see what Mendenhall can do.

El-Gonzo Jackson
:rofl:

Nah, I think wee need cheerleaders and block letters on the jerseys!!

Dino 6 Rings
02-02-2009, 12:15 AM

Or maybe a mascot...oh wait...

T.Richardson
02-02-2009, 12:15 AM
The Steelers won a Superbowl without a big back. Seems like we dont need one in my opinion.

silverbackattack
02-02-2009, 12:16 AM
El-Gonzo, You just tryin to cause a riff man. Yous knows they ain't no cheerleaders with the Stillers.

The only cheerleaders that the Stillers need is a couple Primanti waitress in their aprons handed out sammiches...........

Stlrs4Life
02-02-2009, 12:22 AM

Do we need a big back?

Discuss

Yeah, we already have him, his name is Mendenhall.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2009, 12:24 AM
El-Gonzo, You just tryin to cause a riff man. Yous knows they ain't no cheerleaders with the Stillers.

The only cheerleaders that the Stillers need is a couple Primanti waitress in their aprons handed out sammiches...........

The big back thing is the same thing....just makin waves in the wake of a Super Bowl win.

Now.......getting rid of Carey Davis I am all in favor of talking about!!

steelers2685
02-02-2009, 01:41 AM
I think we need to rid ourselves of Carey Davis and let Mewelde beat out Willie for the starting job next year. Use Gary Russell on third down plays only and get him off kickoffs. Put Sweed and Holmes back for KR and Holmes for PR's

steelreserve
02-02-2009, 01:49 AM
Yeah, we do, but we can sort that out when my hangover from this game is gone .. in other words, a couple of months from now.

Petesburgh66
02-02-2009, 02:37 AM

Bingo.

GermericanSteelerFan
02-02-2009, 02:46 AM
I think we need a better coordinator. 200lb "fast" Willie Parker needs to be running sweeps around the end and counter plays. I saw at least 4 or 5 running plays that could have been big had they been a misdirection or counter - the other side of the field was wide open. Instead, Arians insists on running a speed/finesse back right up the middle with an o-line that has been proven mediocre at best.

However, that is a task for next year. We are the world champs. AGAIN!

MasterOfPuppets
02-02-2009, 02:48 AM
We still need a better OL.thats it....i don't care who is in the backfield...they won't have any more success than willie when DT's are in the backfield as soon as they get the ball....kemoutu played like CRAP all day....:doh:

lambertlunaticfan
02-03-2009, 01:31 AM
simply put-yes!!!!....:tt:

CaliStillersFan
02-03-2009, 01:35 AM
I agree lets address the Oline now and see how Mende does next year. If our line can't open holes, we could have Barry Sanders back there and it's not going to matter. Willie and Mende will have much years next season.

Preacher
02-03-2009, 01:42 AM
Here we go again.

Preacher
02-03-2009, 01:42 AM
I agree lets address the Oline now and see how Mende does next year. If our line can't open holes, we could have Barry Sanders back there and it's not going to matter. Willie and Mende will have much years next season.

Finally, a post that makes sense on the subject (well, some others said it too, but this one was closer to the end :chuckle:).

Galax Steeler
02-03-2009, 05:00 AM
I think alot of people are overlooking Mendenhall he will be our big back of the future hopefully he can stay healthy and show us what he has next year.

CaliStillersFan
02-03-2009, 05:27 AM
I'd like to see mende add about 10 pounds, so he can hit people and lay them out like the Bus used to. Hmmm that Bettis/Urlacher play still makes me salivate. :)

CPanther95
02-03-2009, 09:04 AM
You can get a bruising back that can plow forward for 2 or 3 yards or you can do what the Panthers do - get an O Line that can create a 2 or 3 yard gap that even 2 midgets can run up into.

... and give Ben more protection at the same time.

steeltheone
02-03-2009, 09:08 AM
The last place we need to spend money on is RB....OL OL DL DL....

Steelcitygal87
02-03-2009, 09:26 AM

A team can have the best , most powerful running back in the league, but if the line isn't opening up holes for him, he isn't going anywhere. I agree with you, we need to sure up the O-line first..the battle begins in the trenches. We have Mendenhall, who, because of his injury, didn't get a chance to showcase himself this season. I don't think a BIG back is our most pressing need right now.

PisnNapalm
02-03-2009, 09:29 AM

No on the cheerleaders, but yes on the block numbers.

truesteelerfan
02-03-2009, 09:33 AM
I think he's a free agent....how bout Brandon Jacobs....he sure reminds me a lot of a young Bus....He's big enough to make his own holes as our OL develops (with hopefully some young blood)

devilsdancefloor
02-03-2009, 10:16 AM
jacobs will want to much coin! the only way we get a FB is if he is in the7th rd! it would be nice to take care of the OL OL OL DL DL DL!

JoeLion
02-03-2009, 10:38 AM
O line upgrade needed and a big back who runs like a big back. Davenport is abig back but runs to upright and doesn't get the power needed in short yardage situations. Big backs can be picked up via free agency or last round of teh draft.

Spidey
02-03-2009, 11:20 AM
We do not need a big back.

We've got powerful downhill runners capable of breaking tackles, in Mendy and Russell!

What we need is an interior offensive line that can get a push, play on the oppositions side of the line of scrimmage and open the odd whole or two, if we'd have had Jerome back there this season, in his prime, it wouldn't have made one jot of difference!

I don't care what Ben says, this O'line is the worst I've seen in years!!

Probably not going to be fixed over night, so Bruce will need to think of more inventive ways of running the ball rather than, ploughing (never break a tackle) Parker up the middle on 1st and 2nd down!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Hey, I think we can get T.J. Duckett, Ron Dayne or.........the guy that ate himself out of a roster spot in Miami. :chuckle:

Oh, and I would love to see block letters back on the jerseys. :rolleyes:

Dino 6 Rings
02-03-2009, 12:04 PM
The only back in the league I'd even consider going after is Steven Jackson...that's about it. I'll take Parker and a Healthy Mendenhall into next season and see how they do behind a more confident, and potentially upgraded O-line.

plenewken
02-03-2009, 03:43 PM
The only back in the league I'd even consider going after is Steven Jackson...that's about it. I'll take Parker and a Healthy Mendenhall into next season and see how they do behind a more confident, and potentially upgraded O-line.

Parker and Mendenhall have the same size. I'd like to see a bigger back. Jacobs or Jackson would be great additions, IMO.

revefsreleets
02-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Yeah, Russell IS a big back.

Bettis was a freak of nature. A 300 lb running back that lasted for what? 112-13 years? We need to forget about replacing him...not gonna happen.

CargoJon
02-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Maybe LenDale White would be interested in coming over?

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :sofunny: :sofunny: :sofunny: :applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit: :tt02: :tt02: :tt02: :tt: :tt: :tt02: :tt03: :tt03:

Harrison92
02-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Isn't Russell powerful enough with his leg strength?He has some big legs.

warddj86
02-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Yeah, Mendenhall could be that guy

fansince'76
02-03-2009, 08:20 PM
Yeah, Russell IS a big back.

Bettis was a freak of nature. A 300 lb running back that lasted for what? 112-13 years? We need to forget about replacing him...not gonna happen.

And even the Bus didn't get anything when he got hit 2-3 yards behind the line on a consistent basis. FIX THE LINE.

mesaSteeler
02-03-2009, 08:24 PM
I hope Mendenhall is the guy. I stared this thread because we had so much trouble punching the ball in from the red zone. We left at eight points on the field and we could have put this game out reach in the first half. The inability to score from the redzone seems to be a problem that has been with us for awhile.

So how do does it get fixed?

1. A big back?

2. Improve the O-Line?

3. Use a full back more?

4. A new O-Line coach with a diffrent scheme?

5. Some other solution?

I don't know the answer it is an issue that we need to address in some fashion in the off season.

Hapa
02-03-2009, 08:37 PM
We have a big back, but he isn't a bruiser.

DP_Steeler
02-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Can the BUS come out of retirement? We'll just use him on 4th and goal from the 1 yard-line!

DP_Steeler
02-03-2009, 08:52 PM

I'll go with that ...OL does need to improve. We won, but we won despite some weaknesses in the OL!

SteelShooter
02-03-2009, 08:57 PM
O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line!

And after we fix that, perhaps we should work on the O-Line next?

43Hitman
02-03-2009, 09:03 PM

And field turf!

GridironWarrior
02-03-2009, 09:29 PM
We need a Oline. That will solve the problems.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-03-2009, 09:34 PM
We have one, unfortunatly he was on IR, his name is Rashard Mendenhall.

What we really need is an upgraded offensive line. Nobody can punch it in there behind this current configuration.

Hopefully we can get a few STARTING CALIBER offensive linemen in this draft. Then in 2009 we can all watch Mendenhall do what he was drafted to do,

steeltheone
02-03-2009, 10:00 PM
O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line! O-Line!

A man that can see a very obvious flaw...This isn't rocket science......improve the line and all is well!

HometownGal
02-03-2009, 10:28 PM
I want to see what role Mendy can play in our O schemes next season before I commit to wanting to draft a "big back" or grab one off FA. I think the one-two punch of FWP and Mendy behind a decent OL, which we currently don't have, can be very potent.

eden
02-03-2009, 11:13 PM
what ever happen to passing the ball out to willie in open space that is where he is best and yes i think getting starters back is key to the line but we do need some help

ricksteelers55
02-04-2009, 02:18 AM
I wonder how much Brandon Jacobs would ask on the market ?? Seriously though We have to see what Willie can do when totally healthy with Mendenhall.

CargoJon
02-04-2009, 02:25 AM
Just remember the last time we signed a big name running back.

Duce Staley.

Nuff said.

Steeldude
02-04-2009, 02:53 AM

Do we need a big back?

Discuss

that had to do with the O-line, not the RB. bettis wouldn't have made it in either. an upgrade in O-line talent and a new O-line coach should do wonders.

russell is a big back. if the steelers decide to draft a big back i hope they can grab shonn greene.

devo_17
02-04-2009, 03:20 AM
Im with you there. We need Rashard to get healthy. He's gonna be a beast.

MasterOfPuppets
02-04-2009, 04:10 AM
that had to do with the O-line, not the RB. bettis wouldn't have made it in either. an upgrade in O-line talent and a new O-line coach should do wonders.

russell is a big back. if the steelers decide to draft a big back i hope they can grab shonn greene.yeah i'm pretty sure they're not going to spend a 1st rd pick on greene...or trade up in the second,,,,greene won't make it past seattle,clevland and cincy in the 2nd.if he did somehow slip through them, ya got denver, tampa , san diego, philly, and indy, to get through.....

Galax Steeler
02-04-2009, 04:38 AM
yeah i'm pretty sure they're not going to spend a 1st rd pick on greene...or trade up in the second,,,,greene won't make it past seattle,clevland and cincy in the 2nd.if he did somehow slip through them, ya got denver, tampa , san diego, philly, and indy, to get through.....

I have to agree I don't think there is no way we get him but hopefully we will get Mendenhall healthy and get our offensive line going with adding some new faces and get our running game back to where it was at.

MasterOfPuppets
02-04-2009, 04:45 AM
I have to agree I don't think there is no way we get him but hopefully we will get Mendenhall healthy and get our offensive line going with adding some new faces and get our running game back to where it was at.

it would just be foolish to draft another back early......that'd be like buying new tires for your car.....when you have a blown engine.....:doh:

revefsreleets
02-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Mendy runs for power. People tend to forget that. And he's not small...LT and him are about the same size and nobody ever said Tomlinson was too small.

The OL isn't awful, but they are only average (but remember, more than a few of us stated earlier this season that an average OL was all it would take for this team to win it all). I do think the OL needs upgrading, and that's all it will take for us to be a dominant running team again, and we can accomplish that with our current compliment of RB's...

Steeldude
02-04-2009, 10:29 AM
it would just be foolish to draft another back early......that'd be like buying new tires for your car.....when you have a blown engine.....:doh:

don't put it past the steelers. they did it last year when they picked mendenhall.

i am hoping they BPA the DL or OL in the 1st round.

revefsreleets
02-04-2009, 10:44 AM
They won't draft a RB no matter what. Between Moore and Russell as depth and having Mendy back, we actually have too many RB's...

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-04-2009, 11:48 AM
We need to recharge our O-line in teh draft and fere agenct. I think we let Smith go , sign Kemo and Starks. Move Tony Hills up to LT and Starks to RT. And go after Duke Robinson in the draft. So the line would look something like.

LT LG C RG RT
Hills Kemo Hatwig Robinson Starks

That would put a lot of pounds on the strong side of our line between robinson ans starks. Which will contribute to a good running game.

As for getting another back, no, we have mendenhall.

revefsreleets
02-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Hills is a gigantic Question mark. And I'm not sure about Starks at RT. I actually think he plays a better LT.

scsteeler
02-04-2009, 11:55 AM
I think we need to rid ourselves of Carey Davis and let Mewelde beat out Willie for the starting job next year. Use Gary Russell on third down plays only and get him off kickoffs. Put Sweed and Holmes back for KR and Holmes for PR's

I don' think M. Moore is a better runner than Willie that would be a big mistake.

Rick5895
02-04-2009, 12:22 PM
We have Mendenhall and he will be healthy, with him and a retooled OL we will once again be monsters in the power running department. The development of Ben and the WR's because of our struggling running game has set us up for dominance for the next few years, can you say at least 2 more Super Bowls!!!

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-04-2009, 12:28 PM
We need to recharge our O-line in teh draft and fere agenct. I think we let Smith go , sign Kemo and Starks. Move Tony Hills up to LT and Starks to RT. And go after Duke Robinson in the draft. So the line would look something like.

LT LG C RG RT
Hills Kemo Hatwig Robinson Starks

That would put a lot of pounds on the strong side of our line between robinson ans starks. Which will contribute to a good running game.

As for getting another back, no, we have mendenhall.

Hills was below Parquet on the roster. Dont expect him to inherit the LT job, because he was terrible in preseason. Kemo, I expect that he is let walk. He allowed more sacks this season than Colon and was inconsistent in run blocking. I think the O-line will look like this.

LT- Marvel Smith
LG-Willie Colon (or rookie draft pick-Mack, Robinson-Wood)
C- Hartwig
RG- Simmons
RT- Tony Hills (or Colon if he doesnt move to guard)

Somebody is gonna throw big $$ at Starks to go elsewhere and Smith will be the cheaper alternative if he doesnt test free agency.

revefsreleets
02-04-2009, 12:38 PM
You think we'll re-sign a coming-of-a-major-injury 31 year old Marvel Smith to a new contract?

Steely McSmash
02-04-2009, 12:52 PM
No on the cheerleaders, but yes on the block numbers.

I would be ok with the cheerleaders so long as they woulnd't be allowed in the stadium. in the parking lot that could be nice.

Hines0wnz
02-04-2009, 12:58 PM

Do we need a big back?

Discuss

A better O-line first to open up holes and at least give Willie and Mendy a chance to break the plane.

roscoe777
02-04-2009, 02:13 PM
A team can have the best , most powerful running back in the league, but if the line isn't opening up holes for him, he isn't going anywhere. I agree with you, we need to sure up the O-line first..the battle begins in the trenches. We have Mendenhall, who, because of his injury, didn't get a chance to showcase himself this season. I don't think a BIG back is our most pressing need right now.

I couldn't agree more. Take a look back at when Mendenahall got injured, Moore stepped up like a champ! In games where the offensive line could create open lanes and not miss key blocks he ran the ball like a first round pick. Our red zone and goal line offensive is not the best......not because of the running backs but the offensive line needs help, practice and coaching. Now....don't get me wrong, having a bruiser back like Bettis is fun to watch and very functional. Don't tell me you didn't almost pea your pants when he ran over Brian Urlacher for a touchdown.

plenewken
02-04-2009, 04:00 PM
I couldn't agree more. Take a look back at when Mendenahall got injured, Moore stepped up like a champ! In games where the offensive line could create open lanes and not miss key blocks he ran the ball like a first round pick. Our red zone and goal line offensive is not the best......not because of the running backs but the offensive line needs help, practice and coaching. Now....don't get me wrong, having a bruiser back like Bettis is fun to watch and very functional. Don't tell me you didn't almost pea your pants when he ran over Brian Urlacher for a touchdown.

For me Mendy and Parker are the same kind of RBs. <6' and <210lbs. I fully agree that the main issue is the OL's ability to block and open holes but all things being equal, I'd like to see a 6'3" / 240-250lbs beast like Jacobs rather than Parker to complement Mendy. I have seen enough of Parker temporizing being the line, crashing immediately after being touched (sometimes even before being touched). He reminds me too much of ARE which I don't miss one bit.

Steelcitygal87
02-04-2009, 04:19 PM
For me Mendy and Parker are the same kind of RBs. Short (<6') and light (<210lbs). I fully agree that the main issue is the OL's ability to block and open holes but all things being equal, I'd like to see a 6'3" / 240-250lbs beast like Jacobs rather than Parker to complement Mendy. I have seen enough of Parker temporizing being the line, crashing immediately after being touched (sometimes even before being touched). He reminds me too much of ARE which I don't miss one bit.

Mendenhall and Parker are the same type of back? Mendenhall looks a lot bulkier/muscular than Parker..wow, I didn't know they were the same size. Mendenhall's arm muscles are massive. I remember noticing that in the Rose Bowl game when he played against USC(he was practically the only offense Ilinois could muster). I think he can be that bruising type runner. Parker crashes as soon as he hits the line because he can't muscle his way through(plus poor O- line blocking doesn't help matters either) his talent lies in breaking to the outside and gaining yardage that way. He is just not the style of runner who will ever get you much yardage up the middle...he might break through here and there...but not consistently. I truly believe Mendenhall can be that Jerome type back. That is one of the things I am most looking forward to next season...seeing what he is made of...what he can do for us. :tt03:

Steelersfanforlife
02-04-2009, 04:22 PM
the Steelers could use a large back but lets wait until free agent signing starts

plenewken
02-04-2009, 04:29 PM
From NFL.com:

Mendenhall: Height: 5-10 Weight: 225

He's 1" taller than Parker and 15 lbs heavier. I thought he was lighter than that, my bad.

steelreserve
02-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Parker is on his way out if you ask me. He had a second straight injury-plagued year, once again he didn't really do squat in the playoffs except for one game, and he's starting to get up there in years for a running back.

The only way I see him on the field for the majority of the plays next year is if we really DO use the pony backfield. Which could be a great look and prolong his career, don't get me wrong. But I'd be surprised if we see a repeat of the Parker-only attack. Something's bound to change, by default if nothing else.

Steelcitygal87
02-04-2009, 04:44 PM
From NFL.com:

Mendenhall: Height: 5-10 Weight: 225

He's 1" taller than Parker and 15 lbs heavier. I thought he was lighter than that, my bad.

Oh that is alright. I wasn't sure exactly how tall or how big he really was...just was going by what I remember him looking like. Yeah, he seems to have more upper body strength than Parker. Can't wait to see him in 2009...hope he works hard in the off season.

plenewken
02-04-2009, 04:55 PM
Parker is on his way out if you ask me. He had a second straight injury-plagued year, once again he didn't really do squat in the playoffs except for one game, and he's starting to get up there in years for a running back.

The only way I see him on the field for the majority of the plays next year is if we really DO use the pony backfield. Which could be a great look and prolong his career, don't get me wrong. But I'd be surprised if we see a repeat of the Parker-only attack. Something's bound to change, by default if nothing else.

I think he's on his way out also. Too injury prone and not much of a factor the last 2 years. Money wise, Parker will count for $4.5M against the 2009 cap with a $3.35M salary. Mendenhall will count $1.5M. Hard to justify 3 times more than Mendy, in my opinion. I'd say he's 70% gone unless he restructures his contract to make room for a FA deal.

silverbackattack
02-06-2009, 12:52 AM

AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN AMEN and again I say AMEN.

steelfanman
02-06-2009, 01:25 AM
Forgive me if I plagerize a previous reply, but I did not have time to read through this entire thread.

I think we have the personnel to run the ball more effectively, and I think Mendenhall has the size to be our bruiser back, depending on how he develops as a pro.

The problem seems to be a lack of consistency regarding their philosophy on formations. Switching back and forth between 3 TE sets to I formations with a FB doesn't seem to maintain any flow to the running game. Especially the 3 TE sets. I think if they run out of an empty backfield they are more successful with the 3 WR bunch set so the defenses are fooled a bit on the run/pass option.

But they seemed to be more successful up the middle with McHugh blocking, Unfortunately Arians doesn't seem to be a big fan of the FB and has more or less phased it out of the offense.

Tough call on the O-line. They seemed to improve with the unit they were stuck with using this season, but they were playing out of position alot and the injuries to Smith and Simmons really hurt the continuity there. They need to cut down on penalties and work on the run blocking schemes. It seems like it would be so hard to pass protect any better than they do the way Ben slides around in the pocket making plays. I can't imagine it's easy even for the best of them to hold a block longer than 5 seconds. It's hard to say what needs to be done because that unit will not be the same personnel next season.

Preacher
02-06-2009, 01:57 AM

Second straight? THe year before was injury free-- until he broke his leg at the very END of the season. Actually, one calendar year, and he was back.

As for running in the playoffs, well, show me a team that runs very well in the playoffs consistently and wins consistently in them.

Teams that make the playoffs make them because they can stop the run during the year for the most part.

If they can't, they are ousted quickly i.e. the chargers.

Furthermore, of alll the rushers in Steeler history, he has the second most in one game in the SB, beating out franco 3 of 4 times. He is also just above average in rushing this years SB compared to the last 10 years. There are just a few 100 yard rushers. So no, I think you are blowing it outa proportion.

Spidey
02-06-2009, 08:20 AM
What about Essex, he hasn't been given much of a chance to show what he's got recently. I do remember him filling in some time back and he looked pretty good!

He just hasn't been given the opportunities!

Morgan
02-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Hey..new guy chiming in.... Yup, we need to upgrade the OL, period. Look how many teams have had terrific running games with pretty much any freaking RB they can find on the street, like Denver.... If you have a good OL, your QB gets protection AND your RB runs well. If your OL is weak, the best RB in the world doesn't run well, and the QB gets sacked over 40 times....sound familiar?

lilyoder6
02-06-2009, 09:07 AM
i don't rly think we need a big back.. it doesn't matter if u a scat back or a big back on short yrd if ur o-line can't block shit...

and mendenhall has not yet prove what he can do.. maybe/hopefully he is the answer