PDA

View Full Version : Last five minutes of game

OneForTheToe
02-02-2009, 12:12 AM
Just wanted to know what everybody was doing(feeling) the last five minutes of the game. I went to the club to put the munchies out and to see that the bartender wasn't overrun. I had intended to come home to watch the second half so I could chat in the game day thread. However, since the Steelers were winning at halftime, I just couldn't leave for fear of the jinx. Anyhow, I was so nervous the last five minutes that I kept getting up off my stool and walking into the side room we had opened for overflow, where there was nobody until the next play. Really, it was the only thing I could do to almost contol mry nerves.

So, how did everyone else cope?

CPanther95
02-02-2009, 12:14 AM
I've watched from the Fitz TD to the end of the game 2 more times on DVR just so I could appreciate it. In real time my house was a mad house - and we all lost our voices. WAAAAAY too much stress - or at least way more than there should have been.

GodofGridiron
02-02-2009, 12:14 AM
After the Fitzgerald TD i was sick to my stomach. I wanted to shit and vomit simultaneously. If we had lost i wouldve just lied there and rotted in it.

MACH1
02-02-2009, 12:16 AM
After the Fitzgerald TD i was sick to my stomach. I wanted to shit and vomit simultaneously. If we had lost i wouldve just lied there and rotted in it.

:rofl:
Its funny now, but I felt the same way.

jjpro11
02-02-2009, 12:38 AM
i was so overheated and nervous.. it felt like it was 100 degrees in my basement. my legs were actually shaking for the first time ever while watching a steelers game. it was as if i just finished running a marathon.

Polamalu43
02-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Man i was sooooo nervous, in some plays i had my TT on my face covering my eyes, lol.. my GF was like what are you doing? i told her i can't see. HAHAH

Steel_12
02-02-2009, 12:43 AM
Since I'm in a deployed location, I had to be quiet because the game came on at 2:30am and I live in shared quarters. If I was back home, I would've been screaming and cussing at the tv.

Preacher
02-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Nervous as nervous can be. sick to my stomach.

brick
02-02-2009, 12:52 AM
i thought i was going to break down physically and just collapse, i was huddled up and rocking and completely silent, but oh man at the end i just wanted to lie on the floor and hold my hands up and scream

CargoJon
02-02-2009, 12:53 AM
I had the worse sinking feeling in my stomach. I was about ready to eat my TT. When Santo caught that last TD past I jumed so high I dented my in-laws living room ceiling.

Steelerfreak58
02-02-2009, 12:59 AM

Uhhhm I pretty much felt like this.

All season long it has been a roller coaster ride just like this except this was intensified by 10 to the millionth power. I had so many fricken emotions those last 5 minutes of the game I thought I was going to pass the hell out.

DJ919
02-02-2009, 01:04 AM
Good Topic:
I had to keep all my other Steeler Nation Members together. Towels were being slammed to the ground. Tables Kicked, along with about 200 curse word combinations that I didn't even think was possible. They were losing total composure. It was kind of throwing me off my square but I knew I had to keep it together.
Like a true to the blood Steelers Fanatic, I KNOW our team. Not saying my fellow Steeler Fans at the party didn't, but I was just surprised that they didn't handle what shouldn't have been a surprise a bit better. This is what we do , this is who we are, THIS is Steelers Football... To be honest I was feeling weird when we were commanding such a comfortable lead. I was thinking, "wow, I'm not stressed at all." Then Reality hit in the last 5 mins, and I was feeling Comfortable again... I kept calming fellow Steelers Fans down and re-boosting their confidence that in the end we would prevail for that is what we do! We find ways to win...YES THE CARD SCARED US...BUT WE SCARED EM BACK with a louder BOO!!!
A BOO that lead us to becoming the SIX TIMES Super Bowl Champions
The 3 Way Tie Is Now A Tie For 2nd!

SteelerDeli_Dad
02-02-2009, 01:07 AM
Short version...I got mad, my daughter cried ...I felt bad. We all celebrated in the end. Can Ben please be an elite QB now?

Rotorhead
02-02-2009, 04:54 AM
Well, I have lost my voice, and my arms are still shaking . . . so you can guess by that!

MasterOfPuppets
02-02-2009, 05:20 AM
:laughing:....:toofunny:.....:rofl:

GutterflowerSteel
02-02-2009, 05:29 AM
I felt physically SICK - my stomach started jumping around and I thought for sure I was going to blow my groceries ....I clung to my Towel and started praying,"Pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease don't let us lose this game!" The sheer joy and exultation when Santonio caught the game winner was SO worth it!! Man, my heart was pounding bigtime for a long time afterwards. I stayed up til 1 a.m. watching NFL Network :tt02:

I'm glad I took off today to recover. Now I'm going to start editing the 12 hours of game day stuff that I recorded so I can burn it all to dvd for posterity :thumbsup:

roethlisbergerUK
02-02-2009, 05:30 AM
With 5 minutes to go i basically feared the worst,The hands went up infront of my face and i sort of watched through my fingers with my heart in my mouth and nearly about to scream certain obscenities etc lol.

When the snap went and Ben passed to Sant i thought it was a dream lol..I prayed that some ridiculous decision did,nt overturn it but that was just irrational stress :)

It was a rollercoaster of a game and only with the Steelers do you get grey hair during a game!!!!! I will buy the game ob dvd so i can watch it as i still can,t believe we won WOOOOOO HOOOOO GO STEELERS !!!!

I hope Coach Tomlin,Dick Lebeau and Bruce Arians stay together for years to come!! This team could re-write history further and it,s scary to think how much we can still improve!!!!

It,s a good time to be a Steelers fan :)

Blitzburgh_Fever
02-02-2009, 05:30 AM
I was actually very quiet and calm, thinking "Thank god about half our games this season had us down with 2m left." Somehow, given the Ravens game this season, I had an inkling that Santonio would be involved :noidea: but I was kinda hoping Ward would get the final TD and win MVP, just to shut people up (and solidify his place in the hall) :tt03:

TeeJay
02-02-2009, 06:05 AM
Paced around the room, kicked the couch, swore, smoked a ton of 'baccie, couldn't stomach even taking a sip of drink, and grasped my TT as if it were a lifeline.

When Santo got that TD, and the D recovered the fumble however, I poured myself the biggest Whiskey and Coke, and savoured the moment - man that felt good.....at 03:00am.

What a SB....kudos to the Cards for nearly giving me a heart attack. One helluva game.

Galax Steeler
02-02-2009, 06:13 AM
I never lost faith yes I was nervous but I told the guys with over 2 minutes left in the game Ben is good in the no huddle I new we had time and sure enough Ben took us down for the winning touchdown and props to Holmes with one hell of catch.

CPanther95
02-02-2009, 07:10 AM
After Ben's performances this year, I never actually lost hope. A small part of me that was confident that we would pull it out kept me from losing it.

Although I did scream, "twirl those towels, damn it!" to everyone else that were starting to mope - and genuinely felt that if they didn't snap to and start rooting on the Steelers, we might not pull it out.

Frankie3521
02-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Me and dad were sitting there in disbelief after watching Fitzgerald slant into the open field and seeing no safety there in front of him. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, it was like a nightmare. Good thing Ben and the O got it together and stuck it to those Cards!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-02-2009, 07:32 AM
My wife "hid" my terrible towel...(I didnt notice until after the Cardinals scored) ...so I spent about 20 seconds trying to explain to her that the fate of the Steeler nation lay on my finding that towel... holding it to my mouth in a specific way that I cant reveal here for security reasons.. and wearing my "lucky" hat.

She finally gave it back...and I assumed the super-mojo position..and the rest is history.

(no need to thank me...just doing my job)

SteelerChick
02-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Man i was sooooo nervous, in some plays i had my TT on my face covering my eyes, lol.. my GF was like what are you doing? i told her i can't see. HAHAH

OMG ME TOO!! My heart was thumpin, my hands were shaking and I literally felt like I could barf.

Of course, all the Steelers Haters strarted burnin up my phone with texts THEN (where were they the rest of the game!!??)

SteelerChick
02-02-2009, 07:35 AM
After Ben's performances this year, I never actually lost hope. A small part of me that was confident that we would pull it out kept me from losing it.

Although I did scream, "twirl those towels, damn it!" to everyone else that were starting to mope - and genuinely felt that if they didn't snap to and start rooting on the Steelers, we might not pull it out.

YES!! Same thing with us! My sister got ticked and started chatting and twirling her towel. We were going nuts...and I think our Steelers heard us! :tt::tt::tt::tt:

BigIg
02-02-2009, 07:40 AM
I was a little nervous after the Cards TD, but I was pretty confident in Ben. He's made mistakes this year, but was very good in clutch situations.

XxKnightxX
02-02-2009, 07:40 AM
I was CRUSHED, but I slowed down, PRAYED GUYS, yes I Prayed, and it was answered, The whole bar went ballistic on the TD but we stopped for the review and was ready to riot if the call got overutrned, after that I cant remember because my brain is still downloading it lol.

AFC
02-02-2009, 07:41 AM
I was literally shaking, "smashing" my head in the couch several times trying to shake it off (i.e. the nervousness). It was torture.

But the feeling when Holmes caught the TD... Indescribable.

kittenfantastico76
02-02-2009, 07:49 AM
I literally felt like I was going to vomit... I still have that feeling in my stomach mixed with happiness... if that makes sense. I was a BAG of nerves!!! But SO happy!

BigIg
02-02-2009, 07:52 AM
Anyone uploaded those last five minutes to youtube again? I'd love to relive the excitement. :p

SteelCityMom
02-02-2009, 08:02 AM
I felt like I couldn't breathe at all...then I realized I wasn't breathing lol. Watched the last few minutes with my hands over my eyes nervous as hell...when Holmes made that catch and run I started to cry tears of joy because I knew I KNEW we were going to get a TD soon after that.

Big games have been like this all season for the Steelers, I don't know why I expected anything else out of the SB lol. Looking back on it, as stressful as it was, I wouldn't have it any other way. These emotional wins make it all that much sweeter in the end.

SteelersGirlTN7
02-02-2009, 09:07 AM
I was watching the whole game with my parents at the sports bar. When Fitz got the go ahead TD so wide open, I started crying. I had been drinking beer all game (in playoff game form LOL) Usually during the season, I drink 1 or 2 beers. Anyway, for the AFCCG I had a cherry bomb shot, so I decided to order another one last night. I ordered it, then went off to the restroom, on commercial cuz I was crying. Came back, drank my shot, and when we didnt make a play early in the drive, I ordered another one LOL. I also left my parents table, cuz I knew the sailor mouth was gonna come out. I limit myself around my parents! LOL. I went to the other side of the bar, and watched with the staff, and drank my 2nd shot. Unfortunately, there was a couple of Pats fans standing by that TV. I got the last laugh! Ha. But really, when that last fumble happened, it was unreal! Then I saw the confetti and started screaming. I had no voice last night, and I'm just getting it back!

I love this team!!! GO STEELERS!!!

MDSteel15
02-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Just plain sick in the stomach!

markymarc
02-02-2009, 09:22 AM
The most nervous and upset I have been all year. That 4th quarter was too much of a roller coaster ride, but in the end it was all good :chuckle:

SteelWeb81
02-02-2009, 09:51 AM
When Fitz scored my heart went into my stomach and immediately all i could think was there was plenty of time. So here I am sitting on the couch wringing my hands, mumbling "plenty of time" over and over again and my mom is on the other couch swearing like a sailor, looking like she's about to have a heart attack. When Santonio caught that ball I jumped off the couch screaming and fell to my knees and my mom dropped on top of me with her arms around my neck. And we sat on the floor like that through the review; shaking and giggling so hard we were crying.

Words cannot even describe...absolutely amazing...

CPanther95
02-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Plenty of time for a Big Ben miracle drive. However, starting the drive off with a holding penalty and a 1st & 20 almost shook my confidence.

TXSteelerFan
02-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Last five mintues.. I was biting my terrible towel and typing to the memebers here on the forums that were doubting the steelers were going to win after the Fitz TD. Telling them to believe! And look what happened WE WON!!

scsteeler
02-02-2009, 10:08 AM
When Fitz Scored that TD I felt my stomach hit the floor and not to mention that I was around Cowboy, 49er, Panther and Steeler hater's. All I heard was Larry Fitzgerald, Larry Fitzgerald Super Bowl MVP!!!!!!! I got my composure and said to everyone in the Room Big Ben lives for this moment. We have been in these situations all year long and have risen to the occasion.

Almost 1:45 seconds later I heard that was not a catch it will be overturned no way he was in bounds and I got the last Laugh.

They so wanted my beloved Steelers to lose that game. That was a great game but it don't like it when the Steelers are involved. I would have much rather been up by 12 or more points.

sabeast
02-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Everything was just a bundle of nerves..Up, Down, Down, Up...and finally a victory.... i Love this game. and I love the Steelers even more....Way to go!!!!!!:tt:

stillers4me
02-02-2009, 10:11 AM
I wonder if there's going to be a record number of home defibulator units ordered by Steelers fans for next season. :chuckle:

TXSteelerFan
02-02-2009, 10:34 AM
I wonder if there's going to be a record number of home defibulator units ordered by Steelers fans for next season. :chuckle:

lol, not to get off subject but after harrison ran the 100yd int return before the end of the half, i really could of used one!

Dino 6 Rings
02-02-2009, 10:35 AM
When Fitz Scored I almost died...but then I said out loud..."Ok Ben, this is where Legends are made. Time to earn your contract"

And Dang if he didn't just do it...drive us down the field, starting with a 1st and 20 and lead us right to Victory.

Hecks yeah.

devo_17
02-02-2009, 10:36 AM
I was extremely upset with how bad we played. When Fitz scored I was receiving text messages from all of my hater friends saying it was over. My reply to all of them was. "They scored too fast!!!"

JEFF4i
02-02-2009, 10:40 AM
I found out that the heart doesn't have to beat for 5 minutes of football (so about 15 minutes of real time) and you can still survive.

Stlrs4Life
02-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Was dissapointed after the Fitz TD, but when I seen we had 2:37 left, felt that we at least had a chance.

Aagren
02-02-2009, 11:47 AM
I was with 20+ friends, only 2 other Steeler fans, and the 3 of us were all sick to the stomack with the action, but overtrilled when Ben and Holmes Won it for us. Steelers forever. Looking forward to coming to Pittsburgh and Heinz Field in the fall.
/Danish steeler fan:tt02:
:drink: :hatsoff:

NJarhead
02-02-2009, 11:54 AM
After Fitz's TD I was sweatin' like Mike Tyson at a spelling bee. Once Ben got that first 1st down I was confident that we'd at least tie the game. Once Santo broke loose to the 8 I was nervous again since we'd been great between the 20's but not so great in the Red Zone.

After that Ben to Santo TD.....I recalled scratching my head about drafting Holmes and laughed at myself, hugged my buddy Chris and praised Ben. We then rewatched the last half of the 4th qtr.....three times. :chuckle:

WHOO HOOOO!!!!!!!! WORLD CHAMPS BABY!!! :tt03: :drink:

CLINZ
02-02-2009, 11:54 AM
I was feeling naucious and relieved that there was still 2 minutes and some change left. Like i've been saying Ben is a big time QB and he showed up at the biggest and right time. Thank you Ben.

Cordlisberger
02-02-2009, 12:07 PM
I live in Cedar Rapids Iowa Kurt Warner's home town I watched the game with all Kurt Warner Fans (there are no cardinals fans) and almost lost 5 of my closest freinds on the Fitz TD they are all jumping up and down rubbing my nose in it, I had to compose my self and went out had a smoke and gathered my thoughts went in sat down and looked em all in the eye and said it would not be a Steeler Superbowl if Big Ben did not get to make a game winning drive, I went as far as to tell them that Ben told them to do it so he could win the game... oddly enough it turned out for me, Thank You Ben Thank you Pittsburgh thank you STEELER NATION