PDA

View Full Version : Torino 2006: XX Olympic Winter Games (February 10th - 26th)

SteelerzGirl
01-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Not sure if anyone here is into the Olympic games, but I love both the Summer and Winter games. I'm looking forward to the skiing, figure skating, and hockey. :smile:

http://www.3dflags.com/media/icon/classic/u/3dflagsdotcom_usa_2fawm.gif

USA!

USA!

USA!

http://www.torino2006.org/ENG/OlympicGames/home/index.html

Brady12
01-01-2006, 05:59 PM
No offence, but I think Men's American Hockey Team has as good a chance to win as Latvia.. They have no goaltending.

SteelerzGirl
01-01-2006, 06:07 PM
You may be right...(lol). And you should know given the fact that you live in Canada, the hockey mecca of the universe. :smile: But I'll still be cheering on the good 'ol USA! :smile:

Brady12
01-01-2006, 09:38 PM
Well thats good, speaking of USA/Canada, not to rub it in :rolleyes: :bouncy: But that was a Good 3-2 Win by Canada over USA in the World Juniors last night

clevestinks
01-02-2006, 08:50 AM
Looking forward to the Olympics, can`t wait! USA

SteelerzGirl
01-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Well thats good, speaking of USA/Canada, not to rub it in :rolleyes: :bouncy: But that was a Good 3-2 Win by Canada over USA in the World Juniors last night

I didn't get to see it, Brady. It was New Year's Eve and I was, um, otherwise occupied. The USA will get 'em next time!

Hey, I got ya a lil somethin' to wave during the Olympics... http://www.3dflags.com/media/icon/classic/c/3dflagsdotcom_canad_2fawm.gif Don't say I never gave ya anything...(lol).

During every Olympic games, there always seems to be some type of drama that comes down. Wonder what it will be this year. Stay tuned...

Cleve and I will be watching the USA bring home more medals than Canada! :bouncy:

Brady12
01-03-2006, 12:25 PM
USA will bring home more medals than Canada, but we will win on the ice... I think to most Canadians tha's the only thing that matters. :smile:

Steel - X
01-03-2006, 12:29 PM
I love the olympics but I can not stand Hockey. I have tried and tried to get into but I just cant. Bobsledding is for real those guys/ladies are crazy. Can not wait to tune into the games. True athletes the ones that are not making any money to win. They are in it for there country. True warriors

SteelerzGirl
01-03-2006, 08:15 PM
USA will bring home more medals than Canada, but we will win on the ice... I think to most Canadians tha's the only thing that matters. :smile:

That's cuz all you have going up there in Canada is hockey...(lol)! j/k :wink: Regarding your past men's figure skating champions, I do think Kurt Browning is a hottie; Elvis Stojko, not so much...(lol)...although he is a great entertainer on the ice!

Steel - X... I agree wholeheartedly w/you about our Olympic athletes. Those guys and gals love their individual sports and train for them while holding down jobs, families, having babies, etc. They do it for the love of their sport and their country. Can't beat it! :smile:

Bobsledding is cool. I'm looking forward to the snowboarding, too! :smile:

ngreene15
01-03-2006, 09:07 PM

No we won't, USA probably has twice the size of team that the Canadians do.

SteelerzGirl
01-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Wow, I'm shocked Brady didn't have a comeback to that statement, ngreene. :smile: I guess we will just have to watch the games and see how it all plays out. Nice to see you again, ngreene.

http://www.smiliegenerator.de/smiley-flag/smiley-18826.png

SteelerzGirl
01-06-2006, 03:45 PM
The games haven't begun yet, but, as predicted, some of the drama has. I just saw a segment on Inside Edition which reported that one of our greatest Olympic skiers, Bode Miller, likes to ski while drunk. Hmmm... There will also be a segment about him on 60 Minutes this Sunday.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/05/60minutes/main1182654.shtml

Ambridge
01-10-2006, 08:13 AM
It doesn't get much better than going from the Superbowl right into the Olympic Games.

The Luge, Bobsledding and Biathlon are my favorite events.

ngreene15
01-10-2006, 09:12 PM
Wow, I'm shocked Brady didn't have a comeback to that statement, ngreene. :smile: I guess we will just have to watch the games and see how it all plays out. Nice to see you again, ngreene.

Haha.. Yeah the guy seems to have a response to everything. But I do think Canada will own all at hockey... As usual.

SteelerzGirl
01-13-2006, 06:24 PM
I found this article rather amusing...

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/5245260

Suitanim
01-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Those crazy Canucks also care deeply about that awesome "sport" curling, but I'm willing to concede that medal to them...

ngreene15
01-15-2006, 11:00 PM
Those crazy Canucks also care deeply about that awesome "sport" curling, but I'm willing to concede that medal to them...

LOL... That's a stereotype... I'm Canadian and I could care less about curling.

Although some do, but that consists of the older residents in the country.

SteelerzGirl
01-24-2006, 08:17 PM
Thus far, I think we have Steelers fans here at Steelers Fever from the United States, Canada, England, and Russia. If I missed anyone from another country, I apologize. I hope that after the Steelers win Super Bowl XL everyone sticks around to represent their country and discuss the Olympic games. Post up your country's flag and enjoy the games!

SteelerzGirl
02-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Just a reminder for all you who are into the Olympics... Opening ceremonies tonight at 8:00 PM Eastern on NBC. I'm always so proud when I see our athletes, and I can't wait to see what they're wearing...(lol)! :smile:

Chronicgaming
02-10-2006, 05:16 PM
Hopefully the games will give sports shows more to talk about than the Gretzky scandal. I'm looking forward to hockey, downhill skiing, and bobsledding.

SteelCityMan786
02-10-2006, 10:24 PM
USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA!

SteelerDan43
02-11-2006, 02:30 PM
That USA - Swiss women's hockey game was laughable, 6-0 USA

The USA - Canada women's hockey game should be incredible

SteelerzGirl
02-12-2006, 06:15 PM
I can't say I'm surprised Kwan withdrew. I knew she wouldn't be able to cut it as soon as the report of her groin injury was made public. I'm sorry her Olympic gold medal dreams will never be realized, but I'm equally happy that Emily Hughes will now get the spot on the U.S. figure skating team as her replacement. I don't think Kwan would have medaled due to her injury. Hughes is a worthy replacement. She's young, only 17, so we'll see what happens. :smile:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/060212/060212_kwan_vmed_7a.widec.jpg

Injured Kwan withdraws from Olympics
Skating icon loses chance for elusive gold; Hughes tapped to replace her

TURIN, Italy - Michelle Kwan?s decade-long quest for Olympic gold came to a sorrowful end Sunday when she withdrew because of an injury, taking the biggest name out of the Turin Games.

Kwan cut short her first practice of the games the day before after straining a groin muscle, and the injury worsened as the day wore on. She withdrew after Dr. Jim Moeller evaluated her early Sunday morning and recommended she not continue.

?I wish I was here in better circumstances,? Kwan said Sunday morning, her voice flat and her eyes puffy. ?When I first put in my petition, I said I believed I?d be 100 percent by time the Olympics came around. But yesterday, after going on ice and feeling stiff ... I don?t think that I can be 100 percent.

?I respect the Olympics too much to compete and I don?t feel I can be at my best.?

Emily Hughes was chosen by the U.S. Olympic Committee as Kwan?s replacement.

Kwan has been the face of figure skating for a decade, and she owned the spotlight at these games ? despite being here for only four days. Her withdrawal is a loss for everyone, USOC chairman Peter Ueberroth said.

?Michelle Kwan means more to the United States Olympic Committee than maybe any athlete that?s ever performed for the U.S. Olympic Committee,? Ueberroth said. ?She?s been a leader, she?s been gracious, she?s somebody that cares for so many youngsters that are training in our country.

She?s a real loss to all of the United States Olympic Committee and to the United States of America, and I think to the world. She?s made a courageous decision.?

Olympic officials wasted little time approving the petition to put Hughes on the team. The 17-year-old, younger sister of 2002 Olympic champion Sarah Hughes, was third at last month?s national championships.

She said in a Saturday interview with WNBC-TV in New York that she would be ready to travel to Turin if needed.

?Just point me in the direction and I?m there,? Hughes said.

But that could be a challenge: Blizzard warnings were posted for the New York City area, where she lives, and dozens of flights were canceled at the city?s three major airports.

When Hughes gets here, she?ll join Sasha Cohen and Kimmie Meissner on the U.S. team. The women?s competition begins Feb. 21.

Kwan said she would return to the United States so as not to be a distraction.

The remainder of the article can be viewed here...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11302192/

ngreene15
02-13-2006, 03:03 PM
That USA - Swiss women's hockey game was laughable, 6-0 USA

The USA - Canada women's hockey game should be incredible

So far the Canadian Women's hockey team has played Italy and Russia.... The combined score in those two games was 28-0 for Canada!!!

They beat Italy 16-0 and Russia 12-0.

The USA - Canada game in women's hockey is always exciting.

Suitanim
02-13-2006, 05:27 PM
This curling that's on right now cracks me up...

Fire Haley
02-13-2006, 05:58 PM
Go Sasha!!!

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/2006/02/08/gallery.olympicportraits/cohen.jpg

SteelerDan43
02-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Sasha is smokin! The US men tying Latvia 3-3 is pathetic!!

SteelCityMan786
02-15-2006, 05:29 PM
Irbie was a tough goalie. He was like that when he played for the Johnstown Chiefs. He almost never let a goal by him unless he was having an off night.

clevestinks
02-15-2006, 05:36 PM
DAMN Sasha is a hottie!

83-Steelers-43
02-16-2006, 04:59 PM
The Czech Republic got beat by Switzerland today. That's worse than the USA and Latvia ending up in a 3-3 tie.

SteelerzGirl
02-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Norway is currently leading in the medal count with 13...

http://www.torino2006.org/ENG/IDF/MDL/MDL_Big.html

clevestinks
02-16-2006, 06:12 PM
Sasha is a Hottie! OOOPs I said that already

SteelCityMan786
02-17-2006, 08:37 AM
It's alright Cleve. We all repeat our selves sometimes. I have done it to.

SteelerDan43
02-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Ok its pretty much official the Canadian women will win the gold, US is tied with Sweden at 2 a piece in the 2nd

83-Steelers-43
02-17-2006, 11:41 AM
Ok its pretty much official the Canadian women will win the gold, US is tied with Sweden at 2 a piece in the 2nd

We gave up a SH goal and we blew a 5 on 3 advantage. Our PP looks bad. Not looking good.

Then you have Canada who have out scored their opponents 36-1.

So if it ends in a tie it's a 10 min OT and then shootout. The officiating is a little shady.

SteelerDan43
02-17-2006, 12:05 PM
OVERTIME!!

83-Steelers-43
02-17-2006, 12:06 PM
OVERTIME!!

And the officiating very suspect, favoring Sweden.

SteelerDan43
02-17-2006, 12:23 PM
looks like were headed to a shoot out

83-Steelers-43
02-17-2006, 12:34 PM
Well, that sucked. Lost.

SteelerDan43
02-17-2006, 12:34 PM
and we lose 3-2 (2-0)

SteelerzGirl
02-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Sasha is a Hottie! OOOPs I said that already

:rofl:

Me thinks Cleve thinks Sasha is a hottie...(lol). Ya like her, huh? Get on that! :smile: LOL

SteelerDan43
02-17-2006, 05:20 PM
:rofl:

Me thinks Cleve thinks Sasha is a hottie...(lol). Ya like her, huh? Get on that! :smile: LOL

From what I hear Cleve is gonna have to compete with The Flying Tomato.... Place your bets!!!

SteelerzGirl
02-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Ohhhhhhhh... Interesting... Well, I'm betting that Cleve is hotter than The Flying Tomato, after all, he is a Steelers boy, but I dunno... The Flying Tomato does nothing for me, but he is an Olympic athlete. Hmmm... Cleve better do some smooth talkin' if he wants some of Sasha! :smile:

83-Steelers-43
02-18-2006, 10:56 AM
Switzerland beats Canada 2-0 in men's hockey. Good job Switzerland!!!

What an upset!!! I love it.

Stlrs4Life
02-18-2006, 03:27 PM
As far as I'm concerned, I don't think the USA is doing very good in the Olympics. Yeah, we have quite a few medals, but they are in sports like, Snowboarding. Yeah, we should do good in them, we brought them to the Olympics. I like the Hockey, Bobsled, and Luge sports. We don't do very well in the team sports for some reason. and that 1 girl lost cause she was trying to show boat.

Stlrs4Life
02-18-2006, 03:28 PM

Well, we just got beat by Slovakia, 2-1.

83-Steelers-43
02-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Well, we just got beat by Slovakia, 2-1.

And once again...........Slovakia is good. Look at the roster.

Isn't Canada supposed to be cleaning house? Not us.

Suitanim
02-18-2006, 04:36 PM
The Olympic game is certainly more entertaining than the NHL...losing sucks, but it's pretty obvious that letting the pro's play has introduced some parody to the Olympic Hockey game that was previously lacking.

SteelerzGirl
02-18-2006, 06:53 PM
As far as I'm concerned, I don't think the USA is doing very good in the Olympics. Yeah, we have quite a few medals, but they are in sports like, Snowboarding. Yeah, we should do good in them, we brought them to the Olympics. I like the Hockey, Bobsled, and Luge sports. We don't do very well in the team sports for some reason. and that 1 girl lost cause she was trying to show boat.

I'm diggin' the Snowboard Cross. It's fun and exciting. But I have to agree with you in that the USA isn't performing up to their potential. Lindsey Jacobellis' showboating last night and losing the gold when she had it all but around her neck was frustrating. Why, oh why, do athletes do that stuff? Bode Miller turned out to be a jerk, and now Lindsey Jacobellis has made the biggest faux pas of the Games. She was so far ahead. All she had to do was stay calm and get across the finish line. But noooooo. She had to showboat and fell because of it. Ugh! It's so frustrating! :dang:

Petesburgh66
02-19-2006, 01:04 AM

This will only wake up the Canadians.

83-Steelers-43
02-19-2006, 08:27 AM
This will only wake up the Canadians.

Well I would hope so. They have the best team on paper.

83-Steelers-43
02-19-2006, 12:02 PM
2-1 Swedes in the third. We had two five on three's and failed on both occasions. Swedes get a five on four and score. PP is the difference in this game. Not taking advantage of our opportunities.

Lundqvist is a damn good goalie. Wow.

SteelerDan43
02-19-2006, 12:11 PM
I think at this pt. gold is out of question, I'd be happy with a bronze out of the men...

83-Steelers-43
02-19-2006, 12:20 PM
I think at this pt. gold is out of question, I'd be happy with a bronze out of the men...

Same here. To be honest, I would have been content with bronze before this tournament even started. I expected gold and silver from Canada, CR, Russia, Sweden or Finland. Losing by only one goal to both Slovakia and Sweden is not horribly bad If you look at both teams rosters. What hurt was the fact that we had very good chances to put both those teams away. Oh well.

We should make football an olympic sport. :bouncy:

SteelerDan43
02-19-2006, 12:24 PM
They dont like it when the US doiminates a sport, look what happened to baseball and softball

83-Steelers-43
02-19-2006, 12:26 PM
They dont like it when the US doiminates a sport, look what happened to baseball and softball

Remember the "Dream Team"? :sofunny:

83-Steelers-43
02-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Wow.......Finland jumping out to a 2-0 lead against Canada after two.

Hawk Believer
02-19-2006, 03:04 PM
I'm diggin' the Snowboard Cross. It's fun and exciting. But I have to agree with you in that the USA isn't performing up to their potential. Lindsey Jacobellis' showboating last night and losing the gold when she had it all but around her neck was frustrating. Why, oh why, do athletes do that stuff? Bode Miller turned out to be a jerk, and now Lindsey Jacobellis has made the biggest faux pas of the Games. She was so far ahead. All she had to do was stay calm and get across the finish line. But noooooo. She had to showboat and fell because of it. Ugh! It's so frustrating! :dang:
I found Jacobellis's explanantions to be pretty entertaining. At first she denied that she had showboated. Someone must have set her straight and she did admit it later. She explained her needless trick by saying at that point she was "just snowboarding." Before the games, she had been talking about how serious she took the sport and her training and how she viewed herself as an ambassador for snowboarding. She thought she was going to change peoples' perception about boarding as a psuedo sport done by slack jawed gawkers. Guess it didn't work out for her. I do feel bad for someone so young having so much scrutiny put upon her for such a bonehead move. But I am also kinda glad that good coaches will be able to use this as an example to kids who are more interested in celebrating than finishing a play.

On that same day the US had a combined slalom skier who chooses not to wear a helmet (at the cost of her performance) in lieu of a tiara. And another skier wore a big necklace of fake pearls while competing. That same skier had bneen fighting the IOC earlier in the week to allow her to wear some sort of tiger ears while competing. Fortunately the IOC stood their ground and didn't allow it.

Between Jacobellis and those two it was not a banner day for the US team. I find it pretty embarrasing to have people behaving like that when they represent the US. Its not exactly dispelling stereotypes about us and it overshadows the other athletes that work thier butts off but don't feel the need to pull stunts for attention. I hope the US Olympic committee can crack down on this somehow.

83-Steelers-43
02-19-2006, 04:11 PM
2-0 final. Finland defeats Canada.

Petesburgh66
02-19-2006, 05:24 PM
No goals in two games. A complete joke. This isn't a question of the other teams' goaltending but Team Canada playing like crap. This is no chemistry with the lines that Quinn keeps putting out. Too many missed passes, offsides and icings. The D is weak right now with Pronger and Blake looking like pilons.

Canada better find a way to turn this around. Or it will be a long and boring four years of hearing how to fix Canadian hockey in time for the 2010 games in Canada.

Suitanim
02-19-2006, 06:48 PM
I think the US is doing great, and they could be doing a lot better...fact is, we generally dominate the Summer games but usually get our ass handed to us in the Winter games...we have a legitimate shot at beating evereybody this year in medals...

Stlrs4Life
02-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Not really our better sports are done.

Petesburgh66
02-20-2006, 10:25 AM
I don't know how some of you feel, but NBC has really dropped the ball again on Olympic coverage. I have no idea how you guys/gals are watching these games with the horrible coverage.

At least in Canada we have the CBC to watch live events. Funny, most Americans that live close to border tend to watch our feeds of the games.

83-Steelers-43
02-20-2006, 10:40 AM
For me, all I watch is hockey. Have no interest in the Olympics as a whole. I don't look at the scores before hand. I simply sit down, watch the game(s), have a few beers and eat some ribs.

The coverage really doesn't bother me.

Side note for those interested. 4-0 USA women's over Finland. They win the bronze.

Petesburgh66
02-20-2006, 03:58 PM
I tend to avoid watching figure skating. Too much political crap in the past that has turned me off. Other than that, I love watching the other events. I don't get to see the other events as often as I like.

SteelerzGirl
02-20-2006, 07:17 PM
On that same day the US had a combined slalom skier who chooses not to wear a helmet (at the cost of her performance) in lieu of a tiara. And another skier wore a big necklace of fake pearls while competing. That same skier had bneen fighting the IOC earlier in the week to allow her to wear some sort of tiger ears while competing. Fortunately the IOC stood their ground and didn't allow it.

Between Jacobellis and those two it was not a banner day for the US team. I find it pretty embarrasing to have people behaving like that when they represent the US. Its not exactly dispelling stereotypes about us and it overshadows the other athletes that work thier butts off but don't feel the need to pull stunts for attention. I hope the US Olympic committee can crack down on this somehow.

Hey Hawk Believer... It's great to see you again. :smile:

As a woman, I, too, was embarrassed by the U.S. women skiers who were wearing the tiara and the 3-strand pearl necklace. I was like, "wtf?" :dang: I have played competitive sports, and I have never, ever worn jewelry while competing. Not earrings, necklaces, bracelets, or even a watch. I'm a skier and was wondering what would have happened if that 3-strand pearl necklace would have got hung up on her pole if she wiped out. I dunno... I guess I'm just not one to want my throat slit if something unforeseen happened while competing. I was playing to win, not make a fashion statement. I save the fluff for the boys, and only wear my tiara if he's someone really special...(lol).

SteelerzGirl
02-21-2006, 07:38 AM
~ SASHA ALERT! ~

For all Sasha fans, she will be skating tonight. The Today Show said she will be skating last. GO SASHA! :smile:

melroseplace
02-21-2006, 09:31 AM
As a woman, I, too, was embarrassed by the U.S. women skiers who were wearing the tiara and the 3-strand pearl necklace. I was playing to win, not make a fashion statement.

I agree...when you compete you should be professional, save the bling for off the field/snow

Suitanim
02-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Not really our better sports are done.

Not really...we still do well in figure skating, speed skating, I think we are doing good in curling and bobsledding, and there are still some skiiing and snowboarding events.

I think we are only down 3 medals right now, so we could still finish highest...

melroseplace
02-21-2006, 10:17 AM
I watched speed skating for the first time last weekend, it's pretty crazy. but yeah, I think USA will be bringing home quite a few medals in that sport

clevestinks
02-21-2006, 03:35 PM
Sasha is a hottie!

Melrose how many pics you have of Hines

melroseplace
02-21-2006, 04:27 PM
four :heart: haha no I'm not stalking him, like my friends tease me that I am. I've just seen him at some promo appearances, plus out and about. very nice guy, I love him

SteelerzGirl
02-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Sasha Cohen nailed her short program last night! She's such a diva...(lol). She's currently in 1st going into the free skate tomorrow night. Let's hope she can hold it all together to take the gold. Emily Hughes and Kimmie Meissner turned in very good performances, too.

Man o' man... How about all the drama going on between speed skaters Shani Davis and Chad Hedrick? They're worse than women. Meow! :smile:

Suitanim
02-22-2006, 09:26 AM
As of this moment, the US is tied with Norway in 2nd place with 18 medals, 4 behind Germany's 22.

Just think, if Bode Miller wasn't such a fruitloop, we'd be all alone in second place now.

SteelerzGirl
02-22-2006, 04:56 PM
Just think, if Bode Miller wasn't such a fruitloop

Yea, Bode sure turned out to be a joke, didn't he?

no I'm not stalking him

It's okay if you stalk Hines. I stalk Jimmie all the time. Nah, just kiddin'...(lol).

Hawk Believer
02-22-2006, 07:20 PM
Yea, Bode sure turned out to be a joke, didn't he?

Nike must be bumming about their whole Bode marketing campaign.:dang:

Regarding the speed skaters. One thing really hit me when watching that post race interview (if you could call it an interview) was all the money Shani Davis threw away in 30 seconds. Here is the first black man to win an individual Winter gold and per the announcers his youth and technical skills promise a long, incredibly successful career. Before that little hissy fit, I imagine there would have been more than a few major companies like Nike that would have thrown a lot of money at him to rep thier products. But I can't see that happening now after the bad taste he left in everyone's mouth.

I think Hedrick was stupid in how he handled the whole thing too. But Davis had a lot more to lose IMO.

In Davis's defense, it does seem like poor planning to have a relay at the begining of a competition. They should put that at the end of the meet.

tony hipchest
02-22-2006, 07:31 PM
Sasha is a hottie!

i think sasha was a hottie too, especially after seing the picture of her doing the splits. but after seeing her skate and her build ( looks like shes 14 maybe 15?) i must say the non-american, amarican woman in the ice dancing comp, was completely beautiful and has definitely been my favorite women in the olympics so far. i cant remember her name.

is it me or do the commentators at the nathans 4th of july hot dog eating championship do a way better job than these olympic announcers?

SteelerDan43
02-22-2006, 07:34 PM
I believe she is 20, she is only like 5'2" or something. All those figure skaters are tiny...

tony hipchest
02-22-2006, 08:00 PM
I believe she is 20, she is only like 5'2" or something. All those figure skaters are tiny...

lol. i know shes not a teenager. i meant that she looks like shes about 14 or 15. dont get me wrong.....i definitely would. (hit it threads anyone?) lol

but the american (non american) ice dancer girl had me at 1st sight and ever after.

SteelerDan43
02-22-2006, 08:26 PM
She definatley looked much better in the behind the scenes pieces than she did when she actually skated. I will say that the faux-american chick was definatley amazing. French Canadian women just suck me in, what can I say I'm a sucker for an accent

HburgXL06
02-23-2006, 01:40 AM
Yo, SteelerzGirl I am pumped bout da Olympics too. I am most excited bout da women's figure skatin. As weird as that sounds I am actually a figure skater and have been since I was 7. I don't give a shit bout da guys event. Johnny Weir is a f**kin lil girl and is a bad model & image for da sport. I am rootin for Sasha (she is sooooooo hot!!!) and also for Kimmie Meissner. I train at da same rink as Kimmie and have known her for years. She really is as much of a sweetheart as she appears on TV. She has worked hard to get where she is and she deserves to be on top. The pairs, dance, and men were all a yawn but da ladies event will be actually interestin to see who ends up on top. Emily Hughes I think gets too much credit for bein da sister of Sarah but hopefully she will still place in da top ten. As far as other events go I love to watch bobsleddin, luge, skeleton......but what da f**k is wit curlin? I don't get it. Anyway GO KIMMIE!!!! and go Sasha......sooooooo hot!

BuFu

SteelerzGirl
02-23-2006, 07:33 AM
Sasha is 21 years old. They said how old she was when she skated. Her real name is Alexandra Pauline Cohen. Sasha is a Ukrainian nickname for Alexandria. She's a very pretty girl. Here's her official website...

http://www.sashacohen.com/

tony... Is Tanith Belbin the girl you're hot to trot for? Her and her partner, Benjamin Agosto, won silver in ice dancing.

http://www.usolympicteam.com/26_42952.htm

http://espn.go.com/i/magazine/new/hot_tanith_belbin.jpg

Nike must be bumming about their whole Bode marketing campaign.:dang:

I agree. Bodeism? Gimme a break! Even David Letterman made a joke that Bode Miller tested negative for gold medals. :rofl:

Regarding the speed skaters. One thing really hit me when watching that post race interview (if you could call it an interview) was all the money Shani Davis threw away in 30 seconds. Here is the first black man to win an individual Winter gold and per the announcers his youth and technical skills promise a long, incredibly successful career. Before that little hissy fit, I imagine there would have been more than a few major companies like Nike that would have thrown a lot of money at him to rep thier products. But I can't see that happening now after the bad taste he left in everyone's mouth.

I think Hedrick was stupid in how he handled the whole thing too. But Davis had a lot more to lose IMO.

In Davis's defense, it does seem like poor planning to have a relay at the begining of a competition. They should put that at the end of the meet.

Well, being the Captain of the team, as well as Shani's teammate, Chad Hedrick really should have congratulated Shani Davis for his win, in my opinion. It's just good sportsmanship. I didn't care for the way Shani Davis brought it up in the post-race press conference. I don't think that was the right venue for it. It reiterated the dissention on the U.S. speed skating team.

Although I agree that the relay should have been at the end of the competition, Shani should have left Chad, as the Captain of the team, know what his plans were. It seems to be a power struggle between these two, and they're both ending up looking like jerks. Oh well, Shani is done competing, and Chad only has one more race. Then maybe they can just beat the shit out of each other and settle it once and for all...(lol).

Yo, SteelerzGirl I am pumped bout da Olympics too. I am most excited bout da women's figure skatin. As weird as that sounds I am actually a figure skater and have been since I was 7. I don't give a shit bout da guys event. Johnny Weir is a f**kin lil girl and is a bad model & image for da sport. I am rootin for Sasha (she is sooooooo hot!!!) and also for Kimmie Meissner. I train at da same rink as Kimmie and have known her for years. She really is as much of a sweetheart as she appears on TV. She has worked hard to get where she is and she deserves to be on top. The pairs, dance, and men were all a yawn but da ladies event will be actually interestin to see who ends up on top. Emily Hughes I think gets too much credit for bein da sister of Sarah but hopefully she will still place in da top ten. As far as other events go I love to watch bobsleddin, luge, skeleton......but what da f**k is wit curlin? I don't get it. Anyway GO KIMMIE!!!! and go Sasha......sooooooo hot!

BuFu

I disagree that Emily Hughes gets too much credit for just being Sarah's sister. Emily skated very, very well in her short program, however, she's a little young and lacks experience. I'm thrilled to see her in the Olympics and I'm sure she will only get better with age and experience. I think Emily Hughes and Kimmie Meissner both skated well. The U.S. women's figure skating team is strong, but we'll see how things go. Unfortunately, women's figure skating is very, very political. I'm waiting to see what happens with the favored Russian, who didn't skate as well as Sasha in the short program and the judges did the right thing by not giving her the higher marks. Let's hope that Sasha skates well tonight and that the Russian falls on her ass...(lol). :smile:

I kinda like the curling. The more I watch it, the more I like it. It's different, but give it a chance...(lol).

Suitanim
02-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Tanith...oh, Tanith...

Mmmm-mmmm-mmmmmmmmmmm!

HburgXL06
02-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Sasha is 21 years old. They said how old she was when she skated. Her real name is Alexandra Pauline Cohen. Sasha is a Ukrainian nickname for Alexandria. She's a very pretty girl. Here's her official website...

http://www.sashacohen.com/

tony... Is Tanith Belbin the girl you're hot to trot for? Her and her partner, Benjamin Agosto, won silver in ice dancing.

http://www.usolympicteam.com/26_42952.htm

http://espn.go.com/i/magazine/new/hot_tanith_belbin.jpg

I disagree that Emily Hughes gets too much credit for just being Sarah's sister. Emily skated very, very well in her short program, however, she's a little young and lacks experience. I'm thrilled to see her in the Olympics and I'm sure she will only get better with age and experience. I think Emily Hughes and Kimmie Meissner both skated well. The U.S. women's figure skating team is strong, but we'll see how things go. Unfortunately, women's figure skating is very, very political. I'm waiting to see what happens with the favored Russian, who didn't skate as well as Sasha in the short program and the judges did the right thing by not giving her the higher marks. Let's hope that Sasha skates well tonight and that the Russian falls on her ass...(lol). :smile:

I know all about da politics of figure skating. That's one of da reasons the ISU re-did the figure skating scoring system after da 2002 Olympics. In this Olympics however Irina ****skaya is not da favorite and it has been left up in da air as to who will take home da gold. Emily is young but Kimmie is even younger at 16 but is more experienced. Kimmie is a two time Jr. World medalist (2nd and 3rd) and had she been a month older would have competed in Worlds in Moscow last year. If you want to be technical using da new scoring system Kimmie should be placed higher as she had da most technically difficult program of what we saw on Tuesday night. She was da only competitor that completed a triple-triple combination (triple lutz-triple toe) that got her 9.86 points out of 10. The instant replay showed that she was about a quarter turn shy of a full triple on the triple toe but in the new scoring system a quarter turn gets full credit as a completed triple and is evident by da fact that she was given a 9.86 out of 10. She was flawless on every other element in her program and matched da best every other competitor had to offer. So goin by politics Sasha was placed higher because of her more well known name than her program. Sasha did skate well I will say and when she did her spiral sequence my eyes were glued to da TV (for every guy in here I'ma tell you that is one of da reasons to watch figure skatin and also one of da benefits of bein a male figure skater). Irina is a good skater but she is more aggresive and physical in her skatin than Sasha or Kimmie and loses presentation points because of that. She wants to go home wit a gold medal but I don't believe she has da full package to do that. I don't wish her ill will though because I have heard about all da trouble and problems she has worked through to be here (mother wit cancer, her own heart trouble). Tonight's long program should be interestin and I look forward to seein if Kimmie will again do her triple axel (which she did at nationals last year and I have seen her consistently land). If she does I think she probably will have a guaranteed top four placing. Don't forget da Japanese women though because even though they messed up somewhat in the short program they are very strong technically and have consistently shown da world that they can do triple axels as well as quads and I would not be surprised to see them attempt those jumps tonite. Their problem is their lack of a full package program though (ie: presentation is lackin) but if they land da big jumps it may not matter. Sorry if I rambled too long. If anythin unclear just ask me. Peace.

BuFu

SteelerzGirl
02-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Actually, the Russian is favored to win. They've announced it repeatedly during the Games. That doesn't mean it's going to happen, but she is favored to win the gold.

I wasn't impressed by the Japanese skaters. They were ho-hum and didn't perform well. Perhaps they all had an off-night. One of the Japanese skaters is going to attempt a quad 2nite. We'll see what happens.

The new scoring system is not everything they're saying it's cracked up to be. If it was, Tanish Belbin/Benjamin Agosto would have won the gold in ice dancing over the Russians. They're performance was stronger and better. But, the judges gave the favored Russians the higher marks even though their performance wasn't as good, in my opinion. They were just so-so. So, despite what they're saying about the new scoring system, there are ways to get around it. That's already been proven, and everyone I've spoken to agrees.

How old are you, HburgXL06?

HburgXL06
02-23-2006, 06:15 PM
Actually, the Russian is favored to win. They've announced it repeatedly during the Games. That doesn't mean it's going to happen, but she is favored to win the gold.

I wasn't impressed by the Japanese skaters. They were ho-hum and didn't perform well. Perhaps they all had an off-night. One of the Japanese skaters is going to attempt a quad 2nite. We'll see what happens.

The new scoring system is not everything they're saying it's cracked up to be. If it was, Tanish Belbin/Benjamin Agosto would have won the gold in ice dancing over the Russians. They're performance was stronger and better. But, the judges gave the favored Russians the higher marks even though their performance wasn't as good, in my opinion. They were just so-so. So, despite what they're saying about the new scoring system, there are ways to get around it. That's already been proven, and everyone I've spoken to agrees.

How old are you, HburgXL06?

Obviously even wit da new scorin system there are still ways around it. I know if a person wants to give a higher mark to another person they can still do so. I did not see da dance but I know that Belbin and Agosto had been seen as da first chance at a real threat at da Russian dominance over ice dancin they've had for almost two decades. Ice dancin is probably.....no IS da most borin part of da sport of figure skatin and is so similar from team to team that it can be difficult to judge or catch favoritism by da judges. Most likely da one reason Irina was favored (I know da results already but am not goin to tell and ruin it) because she is da most experienced in international competition and also because of her feel-good-rise-above-troube story what wit her mom's condition as well as her own. Da Japanese have been buildin to competitive dominance over da past few years and what is seen on TV is just da tip of da iceberg. In da Jr. World Gran Prix figure skating circuit da younger Japanese girls are consistently landin triple axels and quads.

I am 18 years old and have skated since I was 7. I am currently a Junior level singles figure skater and an Intermediate level pairs skater. I have skated at da University of Delaware Training Center for da past three years and am still skating there now that I am a freshman at da same university. I don't mean to come of as ignorant I am just stating da case as I know it and I know I'm biased since I know one of da competitors but when you see that person train every day and work as hard as she does you can't help but cheer for her to do well. I have been competitive on da national level in figure skating in da past and hope to be competitve again in da next few years. Peace.

BuFu

Suitanim
02-23-2006, 06:32 PM
(Spoiler alert)

Sasha fell and won the silver, so the controversy was removed from this competition at least.

HburgXL06
02-23-2006, 07:51 PM
(Spoiler alert)

Sasha fell and won the silver, so the controversy was removed from this competition at least.

In da skating world it's known Sasha has always had trouble doin a clean long so it's not surprisin. Oh well 2010 maybe she'll get over that problem.

BuFu

SteelerzGirl
02-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Hey Hburg... Did the Japanese girl attempt/complete the quad last night? I have bronchitis and kept drifting off and didn't get to see everyone's performance last night. I did see Sasha fall twice, though. I felt really badly for her. I thought I heard Scott Hamilton or someone saying that maybe Sasha had a groin injury, but I can't be sure because, well, I have bronchitis and was all medicated up and loopy with antibiotics and cough syrup w/codeine...(lol). I also saw Kimmie's free skate. She did well, and has nothing to be ashamed of. I'm sure both her and Emily Hughes will only get better as time goes on. :smile:

I know you don't care for the ice dancing, but I love it! I think if the pair has great chemistry, it's very sexy and sensual. Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto definitely have that chemistry. I thought they were very romantic and sexy.

tony hipchest
02-24-2006, 06:36 PM
tanith belbin. that is most definitely her. i got busted staring the 1st time i saw her on tv. havent heard the story of her recently becoming an american but someone posted that she is french canadian? oh la la. voici une bonne femme! i will usually fall in love 3-5 times a year. she was #1 in '06.

SteelerDan43
02-24-2006, 06:40 PM
She lives in Quebec... http://www.nbcolympics.com/athletes/5083959/detail.html

SteelerzGirl
02-24-2006, 06:42 PM
tanith belbin. that is most definitely her. i got busted staring the 1st time i saw her on tv. havent heard the story of her recently becoming an american but someone posted that she is french canadian? oh la la. voici une bonne femme! i will usually fall in love 3-5 times a year. she was #1 in '06.

She really is beautiful, tony. You have good taste. :smile: I think I posted a link for you in one of my prior posts so you can check her out further...(lol). Just don't drool. It will get you in more trouble. :wink:

Edit: Oh btw, tony... I think there is an ice skating exhibition this evening during the Olympics. I think Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto may be a part of it, but I'm not sure because, well, I was loopy last night...(lol). You may get another chance to see her 2nite. :smile:

tony hipchest
02-24-2006, 06:55 PM
She really is beautiful, tony. You have good taste. :smile: I think I posted a link for you in one of my prior posts so you can check her out further...(lol). Just don't drool. It will get you in more trouble. :wink:

Edit: Oh btw, tony... I think there is an ice skating exhibition this evening during the Olympics. I think Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto may be a part of it, but I'm not sure because, well, I was loopy last night...(lol). You may get another chance to see her 2nite. :smile:

yes, i saw that. thank you. i will have to look out for the exibition then cause after that i will never see her again :redface: unless shes in the next olympics.

"like 2 ships passing in the night......":dang:

Suitanim
02-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Ahhh...hmmmm....Tanith. For the second time I am left speechless and can only utter monosyllabic expressions of frustrated unrequited love in response to her beauty...

SteelerzGirl
02-24-2006, 09:30 PM
Suit, did you do what I just think you did...(lol)? Are you hornin' in on tony's woman? He saw her first. Besides, you should be busy wooing Chandra away from Jimmie, buster!

Awww... Poor tony... :frown: I know your pain. (sigh)

HburgXL06
02-24-2006, 10:18 PM
Hey Hburg... Did the Japanese girl attempt/complete the quad last night? I have bronchitis and kept drifting off and didn't get to see everyone's performance last night. I did see Sasha fall twice, though. I felt really badly for her. I thought I heard Scott Hamilton or someone saying that maybe Sasha had a groin injury, but I can't be sure because, well, I have bronchitis and was all medicated up and loopy with antibiotics and cough syrup w/codeine...(lol). I also saw Kimmie's free skate. She did well, and has nothing to be ashamed of. I'm sure both her and Emily Hughes will only get better as time goes on. :smile:

I know you don't care for the ice dancing, but I love it! I think if the pair has great chemistry, it's very sexy and sensual. Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto definitely have that chemistry. I thought they were very romantic and sexy.

By da time da event came on TV I already knew da results because da people at da rink were findin out real-time so before 5pm EST I knew who won. Da Japanese girl (I ain't even gonna try to spell her name) did do a quad and that is what earned her da gold medal. Sasha fell and once again lived up to her image that she can't do a good long after a good short but she hotter than Tanith Belbin so I'ma still give her love. Kimmie got 5th overall which at 16 is real good considerin she had more competition than Lipinski and Kwan did in 98.

On a side note: yea Tanith is French-Canadian but she has been workin to earn US citizenship and they had some special appeal and got da President to sign her in as a US citizen just in time to represent da US in da Olympics. Also both Belbin and Agosto have a girlfriend/boyfriend so all da sensuality on da ice is part of dancin n its true that a lot of dancin is actin because you got to be SO into da music on every up and down and they are trained to do that.

I got to bounce....as Dr. Dre said, "Thank God It's Friday"

Peace

BuFu

SteelerzGirl
02-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Bode Miller = 0-5! He looked like he was wasted 2nite. Didn't even make it halfway down the slope. :dang: Guh! What a waste!

Suitanim
02-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Read my thread about it..

SteelerzGirl
02-25-2006, 08:01 PM
Saw it.

Suitanim
02-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Hmmpf...I exhausted a bit of drunken effort in that post, which is ironic, since the subject of the post apparently could not match my minimal effort.

Give me some props, SG. Bode ruined us in the eyes of some in the World.

HburgXL06
02-26-2006, 03:43 AM
I saw a site on Yahoo bout how Bode was talkin bout his trip to da Olympics quote "I rocked here" and how he thought da "nightlife was great." It's such a waste that he came wit such promise and he did nothin. But more importantly he came as a representative of da US and he comes off as a wastin *******....which he is. I don't want to see him again representin us.

BuFu

Petesburgh66
02-26-2006, 01:45 PM
Canada finsihed third in metals, one behind the States. Great showing. Hoping the results are better when the games our in our backyard in 2010.

Stlrs4Life
02-26-2006, 04:52 PM
I saw a site on Yahoo bout how Bode was talkin bout his trip to da Olympics quote "I rocked here" and how he thought da "nightlife was great." It's such a waste that he came wit such promise and he did nothin. But more importantly he came as a representative of da US and he comes off as a wastin *******....which he is. I don't want to see him again representin us.

BuFu

Yep, hes a loser.

Overall, I think we did really piss poor job over there, we should be embarassed. We put alot of money on these teams and athletes, and this is what we get in return?

SteelerzGirl
02-26-2006, 07:24 PM
I agree that we didn't do well in Torino. This has to be the worst Games I've ever seen for a powerhouse like the United States of America. The athletes involved in team sports didn't play as a team, and we were embarrassed by that worthless piece of crap, Bode Miller, Chad Hedrick and Shani Davis's ongoing power struggle/feud, as well as the U.S. women's ski team in their quest to make fashion statements. Guh!

I'm glad the Games are over. I've had enough.

HburgXL06
02-28-2006, 03:04 AM
It seems that the US teams and athletes have become so caught up in the media, endorsements, and pointless drama amongst themselves that they have forgotten the real reason that they are at the Olympics in the first place: to compete in their event and represent their country. It's a shame and unless we correct this bad habit we are going to be clowns to the rest of the world. I usually can't wait to see all the events at the Olympics but this year I was tired of it all because of all the dumb shit we did in front of the world. Oh well. Peace.

BuFu