PDA

View Full Version : Steigerwald: The Catch II

mesaSteeler
02-02-2009, 07:02 AM
Steigerwald: The Catch II

By John Steigerwald
Times Sports Columnist
http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/02/02/sports/steelers/doc4986830012eb6523448709.txt
It’s the second greatest catch in Steelers history.

Nothing will ever beat Franco Harris scooping it off the turf for his Immaculate Reception but that was a fluke.

Santonio Holmes’ catch in the corner of the end zone with 35 seconds left in Super Bowl XLIII was no fluke and it beats any catch made by either Lynn Swann or John Stallworth in any Super Bowl. And that’s saying something.

The next time you watch the replay — and you’ll see it at least 5,000 more times before you die — notice how hard Ben Roethlisberger threw that ball. That’s a tough ball to hold on to when you don’t have to worry about toeing the sideline. For Holmes, with the game on the line, to be able to look that ball in and not bobble it while keeping his toes inside the line was one of the best catches in NFL history.

You’ve seen Swann’s leaping, bobbling catch in Super Bowl X against the Cowboys a few thousand times. That was spectacular looking but it wasn’t nearly as difficult as the one Holmes made.

You’ve seen The Catch by Dwight Clark of the San Francicso 49ers. Holmes’ was better and much more difficult.

Don’t forget to give Ben Roethlisberger credit for making an absolutely perfect throw.

And somewhere Little Miles is smiling.

I met Little Miles, Holmes’ stepfather, in Belle Glade, Fla., three years ago when I paid a visit to Holmes’ home. I asked Little Miles where Big Miles was and he said there is no Big Miles. His first name is actually Little. He showed me his driver’s license. He was looking forward to taking his first airplane ride to Pittsburgh to see his stepson play. Holme’s home was like a house only a lot smaller.

Probably about the size of your living room and dining room. I talked to his mother, who had just come home from picking corn in the field outside of town. She was proud of her son being a first-round draft pick. Imagine how she’s feeling now with a son who’s a Super Bowl MVP. I’m going to assume that she and Little were at the game and that they live in a much nicer house now. I hope she’s not picking corn anymore, but she did say at the time that she didn’t see any reason to quit her job.

It wouldn’t be inaccurate to say that Holmes had a disappointing regular season but he more than made up for it in the postseason when he may have established himself as a premier wide receiver going into next season.

His last catch of the 2008 season was a perfect exclamation point for the end of a postseason that was as good as any Steelers wide receiver has ever had.

Galax Steeler
02-02-2009, 07:07 AM
That catch was unbelievalble I thought he was pushed out of bounds but the replay showed what a catch that was Holmes hauled it in that play will last a life time in my book.

markymarc
02-02-2009, 08:35 AM
That was one of the best TD catches I have ever seen. Talk about coming up with a big time catch at the perfect time. And yes that was a perfect throw by Ben. That last drive was all Ben and Holmes.

steelerbackr4life
02-02-2009, 08:46 AM
A beautiful job by everyone! The line gave Ben time to throw his second perfect pass to another corner of the end zone. The recievers and backs stayed where they were supossed to and did not bring other defenders to the corner. All setting Ton up to make the best winning catch in Super Bowl history!

mtsamuelson
02-02-2009, 09:28 AM
When I first saw Holmes catch the ball in the corner of the endzone, I wasn't quite sure if he was able to maintain possession inbounds. After I saw the first replay I knew it was a TD.

What an amazing catch!

Edman
02-02-2009, 10:10 AM
I didn't think Santo had it in him, but he made a spectacular catch that will go down in Super Bowl Lore. That was insane. Ben and Santonio were magnificent on that final drive.

CargoJon
02-02-2009, 10:19 AM
No matter what happens to Santonio from here on out, that was one excellent draft pick.

scsteeler
02-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Holmes told Hines that if he was not 100% for the Super Bowl that he would pick up the slack step his game up. Holmes has done that all through the Playoffs. I say we have to credit Hines Ward for being their for Holmes and helping him grow as a receiver.

That catch was great and will be one for the History Books for years to come.

Glad Big Ben wants to be a Steeler for life.