PDA

View Full Version : Why were we playing prevent with 10 minutes to go in 4th??

CargoJon
02-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Was I the only one yelling at the TV on the Card's first TD drive in the 4th. Seemed the guys in the secondary were playing 30 yards downfield leaving huge holes in the middle. Of course they marched down the field and scored on us.

On the Fitz TD, they were doing it again which it why the whole middle was open for Fitz. Isnt' prevent supposed to "prevent" the big play? And that's exactly what happened.

I know we won and all, but I'm trying to understand why we went back to the soft-ass defense that cost us 7 on their first TD drive in the 4th.....only to get burnt by the big play.

FacemeIke
02-02-2009, 11:58 AM
When we first moved into the prevent defense I said it was way to early to back off. We should have just played the defense that made us number one in the league all year long

CLINZ
02-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Never play prevent. PERIOD.

Hines0wnz
02-02-2009, 12:09 PM
The long Fitz TD was a seam route that was only open because Troy and Ryan were shading the sidelines and got beat trying to recover. But I do agree, the prevent (the win) D should have been shelved even though that first TD was a dink-n-dunk drive......the Steelers' D achilles heel for years now. The situation (up 13) called for the D to play coverage or pressure and LeBeau opted for coverage. It works fine against younger QBs but not so much against savvy QBs like Warner. As Tomlin said though, they scored quick which is great early in a game but in a close one at the end, it is not. In essence, the Card's strength turned out to be their undoing. :wink02:

mtsamuelson
02-02-2009, 12:18 PM
The only time prevent D should be played is if there is one final play and it is more than likely going to be a hailmary.

Other than that, just do what you have been doing all year. The Steelers had the Cards' number all game long until the fourth quarter. It was obviously working. KEEP DOING IT!

That being said, it is probably much easier for me to say something like that because I was not coaching in the biggest game of my life. I understand the need to feel conservative.

drizze99
02-02-2009, 12:19 PM
I was yelling and screaming as well. I HATE the prevent defense and could not believe we were it almost the whole 4th qtr.

OX1947
02-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Dink and donk isn't a Steeler problem, its a accurate QB issue. If a QB is extremely accurate as Warner and Brady are, they are going to make those plays. Talent sometimes is just better, and a couple of breaks here and there, and that's what happens.

joeyssteelcurtain
02-02-2009, 12:21 PM
does it matter we won the super bowl just enjoy it man