PDA

View Full Version : A complaint about SB XLIII....

LambertIsGod58
02-02-2009, 11:19 AM
There has been a ton of posts since yesteday, so I'm unsure if this has been already posted. But I was absolutely beside myself when Tomlin elected to go for the FG on the 4th and goal after Ben's run. In the regular season, Tomlin would have gone for that. And it ultimately could have been the difference in the game. I guess I don't see why you'd change your philosophy when it's what got you in the big game to begin with. And yes, I know that if we went for it and didn't get the TD it could have made all the difference the other way.

BlastFurnace
02-02-2009, 11:23 AM
I didn't have a problem with the FG try at all. It was the 1st drive of the game. I wanted the points.

JEFF4i
02-02-2009, 11:24 AM
True, but let's look at last year's JAcksonville game. Perhaps he found that until the late 4th, being a touch conservative, especially in the first, would be best.

MACH1
02-02-2009, 11:25 AM
I was hoping they would go for it. But ya gotta take the points when you can get them in the SB.

BrandonCarr39
02-02-2009, 11:26 AM
There has been a ton of posts since yesteday, so I'm unsure if this has been already posted. But I was absolutely beside myself when Tomlin elected to go for the FG on the 4th and goal after Ben's run. In the regular season, Tomlin would have gone for that. And it ultimately could have been the difference in the game. I guess I don't see why you'd change your philosophy when it's what got you in the big game to begin with. And yes, I know that if we went for it and didn't get the TD it could have made all the difference the other way.

In the playoffs, you don't leave points on the field, period.

CLINZ
02-02-2009, 11:33 AM
It's the SuperBowl go for the points. What surprised me was Arizona deferred the kickoff. That was their first mistake. Your strength is your offense then you put your defense out first. Ben talked about how nervous he was in his first SB played and Arizona fell for it and thought Ben would fold. Thanks Whizzenhunt now we know why you didn't get the Head Coaching job. Steelers Forever.

fansince'76
02-02-2009, 11:35 AM
I wanted them to go for it too. I liked the playcalling on the final drive where they went for the win instead of just the tie and OT.

JEFF4i
02-02-2009, 11:38 AM
I wanted them to go for it too. I liked the playcalling on the final drive where they went for the win instead of just the tie and OT.

I agree, and I love Tomlin's aggresive nature. But I still think the kick was the right call.

Also, say we turn it over. Who cares? Well, I do. Against almost every team in the NFL I wouldn't mind turning it over and having them backed up...but Warner's shining glory is his abiity to get short to medium passes in a quick fashion. The safety woulda been tough.

klick81
02-02-2009, 11:39 AM
He did the right thing by taking the 3, IMO.

CLINZ
02-02-2009, 11:43 AM
The Steelers played a great game. Got a little conservative on defense in the forth quarter. Let Arizona back in the game to make it interesting. Big Ben is a stud. I thought he should have been MVP. Having that sixth ring is the most important thing though. Big Ben for president. LOL.

SteelStang
02-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Considering our horrible ability to score from inside the 5, the FG was the right move.

Hines0wnz
02-02-2009, 11:53 AM
That didnt bother me at all. What bothered me was the debacle in the 2nd half when they had 6 or 7 goal to go plays and couldnt get it in. Float one to the corner so only Holmes or Hines can get it next time or call something besides a Ben draw up the middle. Anyway, its over and I'm happy.......but that was my biggest gripe of the game. :coffee:

steelerdave1969
02-02-2009, 11:58 AM
At first I was kind of agitated that they didnt go for the TD, but the more I thought about it the more I think they did the right thing going for 3.
One of my complaints was that the first reception that on the reception that setup the TE Ben Patrick TD reception there was blantant block in the back by Larry Fitzgerald at about the 6 yard line that wasnt called. You never know what would have happened there on the very next play from around the 15 yard line or so instead of the 2 yard line.. But we won the game and thats all that matters I guess..

revefsreleets
02-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Gotta take that 3...if you drive all the way down and come away with nothing, you lose a ton of momentum. Tomlin was also showing his own D a lot of respect, and they returned the favor by holding the Cards to 5 plays on their opening drive.

markymarc
02-02-2009, 12:43 PM
While I wanted Tomlin to go for 7, I had no complaints taking the FG. Have to take the points when you can get them.

Steeldude
02-02-2009, 01:05 PM
IMO, tomlin didn't have faith in the O-line to convert the TD. you can't really blame him. the O-line was allowing cardinals in the backfield all day.

regardless, it all worked out well.

Benzbrother
02-02-2009, 01:11 PM
I was extremely pissed with the call too...because if you go for it and miss, you have the #1 defense against a team trying to go 99 yards down the field. On the other hand...it would have been a huge letdown to drive down the field like that and come away with no points at all

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2009, 01:11 PM
I agreed with the call to go for 3. You take the points and let your defense play.

I also thought if they didnt convert on the 3rd down from the endzone, that you take the safety and kickoff from the 20 anyways, so the holding call just cost a bit of time.

The call I didnt like was with around 5 minutes left and after a 4 yard parker run....they go empty backfield on 2nd and 6 to let the Cards come downhill and sack Ben for a 10 yard loss. I'd rather see Parker or Moore in there for a fake handoff and playaction to the TE or just run it for 2 more yards and keep the clock moving.

Anyways, Coach T did a good job and Arians called a good game 90% of the time.

SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!!!!

PolamaluPower
02-02-2009, 02:11 PM
I think it was a good call. It was all about the points.

Pi Kapp Steeler
02-02-2009, 02:14 PM
I would have snuck Jerome down on the sideline, switch clothes with Gary Russell. And The Bus disguised as 33 hammer it home and sprint off the field to get back in his suit.

But thats just me :chuckle:

iloveben7
02-02-2009, 02:21 PM
can we just focus on the win here???

jjpro11
02-02-2009, 02:21 PM
think of all the times this season we were stopped 4th and 1.. even before the game started i was afraid to death that our inability to convert short yardage was going to cost us the super bowl.. when i saw that 4th and 1 opportunity after the overturned td, i thought that was it... this is the play that is going to do us in. after making up for most of our short yardage blunders this season, it would all finally catch up with us and do is in.

thank God it didnt turn out that way, i just had a bad feeling about going for it right there.

devilsdancefloor
02-02-2009, 03:05 PM
put points on the board and put your strength on the field

MJ5150
02-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Maybe we saw some inexperience there. He didn't want to be the guy who left points on the field, or cost us the game.

Plus, he was showing some well deserved respect for the Cardinals front seven. Those guys were animals last night. Their secondary failed them, but those d-linemen were killing us.

-Mike

cubanstogie
02-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Had we lost, that would have been a huge issue. Now its a moot point, but I was hoping we would go for it. Tough to argue since our short yardage is pretty shaky.

cowboykilla
02-02-2009, 06:04 PM
It just don't matter,we are the champs!!!!

Ricco Suavez
02-02-2009, 06:35 PM
Did anyone think that Ben got in on 3rd down?

iloveben7
02-02-2009, 10:00 PM
^I did at first and I still didn't see enough evidence to overturn that. But it doesn't matter, we're Sixburghers!!!

WWIIOwheelz
02-02-2009, 10:13 PM
With as explosive as the Cards offense is/was, I totally agree with the OP, I thought taking the FG was a huge mistake, and the longer the game stayed low-scoring, the more I sweated it. As great as our defense is, if we hadn't scored the TD, giving them the ball on their own 1 yard line is a perfectly sound strategic decision. I didn't like the call.

SC Steeler Steve
02-02-2009, 10:19 PM

I havent read all the opinions but to respond to the original, I was thinking go for it myself. But I definitly wanted points, if we had gone and missed then the end of the game would have been a total different scenerio. With AZ. only needing a field goal to win it might have proven disasterous and we would be talking about what if we would have kicked.

The thing i was more trouble by was the decision to take the 3 points off the board after the personal foul FG. I was soooo scared we would turn the ball over and end up with nothing. Now I ask the question, We could have kept the 3 couldnt we?

I understand you have to have the confidence that your offense will scor a TD with the second chance.