PDA

View Full Version : Fitzgerald's 1st TD

SteelStang
02-02-2009, 01:02 PM
I know I'm reaching here, but did anyone else think maybe we should have challenged that catch? Sure looked like the front 1/3 of the ball was on the ground when Ike landed on him. And it was hard to say he had control of it too.

CargoJon
02-02-2009, 01:06 PM
yeah i noticed that too actually....

OX1947
02-02-2009, 01:11 PM
YES YES. I was yelling to challenge. The tip of the ball hit the ground.

FacemeIke
02-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Now I need to give the play another look. Anyone have video of this?

SC Steeler Steve
02-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Now I need to give the play another look. Anyone have video of this?

Not that I can put on here but I do have the game and the CG DVRed.

I thought it should have been challenged too.

Milkman
02-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Totally agree, but the h8rz will deny all of it as usual.

tyler289
02-02-2009, 01:28 PM
No, I think it was a touchdown. It looked like he had it with 2 feet down.

CargoJon
02-02-2009, 01:38 PM
No, I think it was a touchdown. It looked like he had it with 2 feet down.

Yes but you have to maintain control until you come down to the ground...in other words if ball hits ground and comes looses = no catch.

fansince'76
02-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Let him have it - least we could do considering the huge advantage we were given by the refs throughout the rest of the game. :rolleyes:

fansince'76
02-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Yes but you have to maintain control until you come down to the ground...in other words if ball hits ground and comes looses = no catch.

Yep - seems to me Holmes had a TD catch overturned in the AFCCG due to the exact same circumstances.

tyler289
02-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Yep - seems to me Holmes had a TD catch overturned in the AFCCG due to the exact same circumstances.

Which, as we all know, was a terrible call. I think Fitz's TD was, in fact, a TD. The rules for a catch are so f-in vague as it is, though...

Edit: I'd love to see a replay of it, though, up close.

Dino 6 Rings
02-02-2009, 01:51 PM
I thought it was just me being a Homer...we should have challenged that catch...the Tip of the Ball clearly hits the ground, I'm not sure if that's still a catch or not by rule.

Mike should have thrown the Red Flag.

SteelStang
02-02-2009, 02:07 PM

My point exactly when I started this thread. I don't think every official truly knows how to determine an actual catch. Obviously we won so no big deal, but I'd really be screaming about it now had things gone poorly for us. Was there enough to overturn it? Probably not, but I think it was worth a look.

steelax04
02-02-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure if it's the fact that the tip of the ball hit the ground more so than it pushed the ball out of his arms and between his legs. If he maintained control even when the ball touches the ground, it's a catch... but the ball shifted from his arms to between his legs. Also notice how fast he jumped up? He knew he didn't have it 100%.

PolamaluPower
02-02-2009, 03:03 PM
If it were challenged, we would've lost a timeout and the call on the field would not have been overturned. It was a touchdown.

stlrtruck
02-02-2009, 03:24 PM
I saw nothing in the replay that would have over turned the call. It was close but I think he had it.

devilsdancefloor
02-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Ya i dont think it would have been overturned! it was close too close i think play stands as called on the field.

JPSEMP
02-02-2009, 04:26 PM
I didn't then and do not now think that was a catch altough I understand the reason for not challenging it. If you watch close he does'nt have full possesion as he is going down, the ball hits the ground and he regains controll. Not a catch.

steelersfanman92
02-02-2009, 04:31 PM
hindsight is 20 20, but it didnt matter we won anyways!!!

rich4eagle
02-02-2009, 04:43 PM
I know I'm reaching here, but did anyone else think maybe we should have challenged that catch? Sure looked like the front 1/3 of the ball was on the ground when Ike landed on him. And it was hard to say he had control of it too.

yep that ball may have touched the ground before possession:tt03:

SteelCurtain7
02-02-2009, 04:53 PM

No. That was a clean catch. :banging:

CLINZ
02-02-2009, 05:12 PM
100 % hit the ground.

scsteeler
02-02-2009, 05:18 PM
A none Steeler fan that wanted Pittsburgh to lose stated to me that the ball hit the ground and should not have been a catch. Tomlin never challenged it and I don't think it would have been overturned. I would have given him the catch.

Of course we don't get those calls.

Glad we won after allowing them back in the game. Warner did a great job of making reads.

Preacher
02-02-2009, 05:26 PM
I was thinking it wasn't a catch either. But tomlin chose not to challenge it.

ytsan2q
02-03-2009, 02:11 AM
The tip definitely hit the groound. I was thinking the same thing.

steelergirl07
02-03-2009, 03:27 AM
Douchebags I was watching with who had money on the Cardinals thought it hit the ground. So I figured I wasn't seeing things. Oh well. We won. :)

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
02-03-2009, 03:48 AM
Tomlin knew we wouldn't win it anyway. After they robbed Ben of his rushing TD, we knew we better not challenge anything.

Stevo
02-03-2009, 04:07 AM
Absolutely not a catch.

Look at it again... (I have the game in HD on DVR) it is very clear that he never had control and the ball touches the ground.

I am shocked that NO ONE even mentioned this in the broadcast during he replay, or after coming back from break, or during the million times sports and news shows have shown the highlights, or during all the radio shows on Monday's news and sports talk shows.

Not a word.

The game is over and it doesn't matter any more, but it was not a catch and I am very glad that other people have recognized this.

CaliStillersFan
02-03-2009, 04:21 AM
Did anyone catch at the end of the game and they showed Fitz in slo mo saying NO NO NO? When I saw that all I could think was: KARMA bitch, that's what you get for leaving my Panthers early hehehe.

IAWarnerFan
02-03-2009, 04:50 AM
All the TD calls were right, with the possible exception of the illegal block to the back before halftime. I guess the ref just didn't see it. :noidea:

Did anyone catch at the end of the game and they showed Fitz in slo mo saying NO NO NO? When I saw that all I could think was: KARMA bitch, that's what you get for leaving my Panthers early hehehe.

Yeah, I guess he should have stayed another year. He clearly wasn't ready yet! :flap:

CaliStillersFan
02-03-2009, 04:59 AM
Oh he was more than ready, I just didn't want him to go pro when he did, because I knew the panthers were going to be in trouble offensively without him. Did you catch our bowl game this year? We lost 3-0 to Oregon State. :( It's been that way since Larry left. He's amazing. When I watched him play and saw him interviewed as a freshman, I knew he had future HOF'r written all over him. Your Cards better keep Warner, Larry doesn't deserve to be stuck with Leinart. He has a chance to break Jerry Rice's records.

BlastFurnace
02-03-2009, 07:47 AM
Watched the game again last night.

The entire ball is laying on the ground when he and Ike fall to the ground.

It wasn't a touchdown....but of course...you won't hear nothing from the media about it.

BlastFurnace
02-03-2009, 07:55 AM
I saw nothing in the replay that would have over turned the call. It was close but I think he had it.

Seriously..watch the replay of the game from the front of the play. The ball is laying on the ground. The ref did not see it.

revefsreleets
02-03-2009, 09:32 AM
That's fine. We won fair and square, and that's all that matters.

stlrtruck
02-03-2009, 09:33 AM
All the TD calls were right, with the possible exception of the illegal block to the back before halftime. I guess the ref just didn't see it. :noidea:

Seriously you are beginning to sound more like a :troll: with every post you've had after the game. The refs missed a call, really, just one - or just the one you want to remember. Be a real fan, stop complaining and accept your defeat. The cards played a great game and made it close, almost winning it. But even Kurt Warner was able to man up and praise the Steelers for what they were able to do and it seems only the fans are the one's complaining about it.

The refs missed a few other calls too. Calls that would have negated several big plays but you don't want to discuss that do you?

Do us all a favor, take your pathetic attempt at excuses, and exit stage left back to AZ where you can cry with your other whiney fans and be just like seahag fans for the next 5 years!!!

pretzel
02-03-2009, 09:46 AM
I thought I had heard one of the talking airheads (Madden or Michaels) saying that on challenges the replay officials have the ability and opportunity to not only look at different angles but can also make composite images to be certain that the call on the field is correct. If that is the case then it would also seem that if Tomlin thought that the play should be challenged and the ball did actually hit the ground, the new replay procedures should be able to conclusively determine if the officials made the right call.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Holmes's ball was moving, Fitz's wasnt. It was a good catch,
Someone should've challenged the defender as to why he was playing defense. All he had to go was LOOK at the ball and he would've defended it. But again he wasn't looking.

drizze99
02-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Tomlin should have thrown the challenge flag.

I went back to the tape and watched it frame by frame (same way the ref does it when a play is challenged) and that was NOT a catch. He does not maintain control of the ball throughout the entire catch and the ball does touch the ground BEFORE Fitz secures it.

IAWarnerFan
02-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Seriously you are beginning to sound more like a :troll: with every post you've had after the game. The refs missed a call, really, just one - or just the one you want to remember. Be a real fan, stop complaining and accept your defeat. The cards played a great game and made it close, almost winning it. But even Kurt Warner was able to man up and praise the Steelers for what they were able to do and it seems only the fans are the one's complaining about it.

The refs missed a few other calls too. Calls that would have negated several big plays but you don't want to discuss that do you?

Do us all a favor, take your pathetic attempt at excuses, and exit stage left back to AZ where you can cry with your other whiney fans and be just like seahag fans for the next 5 years!!!

The refs did a great job overall, but there's always going to be qustionable calls that go one way or the other.

What other calls are you talking about? :noidea:

AKSteeler
02-03-2009, 06:57 PM
How about the 15 yard penalty that Warner should have been given for taking HIS helmet off during the first fumble/forward pass. He took his helmet off to plead his case to the refs! FLAG! To me, that negates any complaints about Santonio using the football as a prop.