PDA

View Full Version : who are we going to lose via free agency?

FearTroy43
02-02-2009, 01:10 PM
were definitely going to lose players via free agency, but who do you think we will lose? we lost chris hope and randle el the year we won the big show, but who do you think is gone now? i think well get rid of marvel smith, and maybe keep starx at LT, but he needs to take less money than what he got this past year. obvioulsy keeping kemoteau is important too. I think biggest concern is keeping mcfadden. thoughts?

SteelCityKing
02-02-2009, 01:13 PM
i know it's on everyones mind. but i'd say we just focus on the positive right now and we'll talk about it later. =)

steelreserve
02-02-2009, 01:18 PM
We're really lucky this time -- we're not going to lose anyone who can't be easily replaced (or who we already have someone on our roster who can fill their shoes)

tyler289
02-02-2009, 01:35 PM
We will not lose any impact players (at least players we don't have a replacement for). Marvel Smith is most likely gone, Starks may be back as a backup (this is interesting....he's got 2 rings and wasn't awful), and Kemo will probably come back.

Washington may get a boatload of money but that's why we drafted Sweed. (We may have to sign a WR in the offseason for depth).

McFadden is my only concern, but Gay played great down the stretch.

Foote will probably leave, but Timmons outplayed him anyways.

markymarc
02-02-2009, 02:24 PM
At least we will be losing Mitch Berger :chuckle:

ShutDown24
02-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Let McFadden go. He isn't worth the kind of money he wants.

Everyone including #20 can be easily replaced in the off-season. We're very lucky this time around.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-02-2009, 02:30 PM
*(I posted this in another thread)

We may see:

QB Charlie Batch UFA............resigned at basement price
QB Byron Leftwich UFA..........GONE to team looking for QB Vet leadership
TE Sean McHugh RFA............resigned
WR Nate Washington UFA....will test the market, probably gone
G Chris Kemoeatu UFA.........GONE to team that will overpay him based on SB win.
T Willie Colon RFA...................resigned, moved to guard (please)
T Trai Essex UFA......................GONE or resigned for depth at low price
T Max Starks UFA......................resigned (sorry)... LT next year with Hills at RT
T Marvel Smith UFA..................GONE, Noone can miss 22 games in 4 years and be retained
DE Orpheus Roye UFA............may be resigned at minimum, for depth
LB Keyaron Fox UFA.................PLEASE resign Fox..great ST player!!!
LB Andre Frazier UFA...............GONE, backup doesnt have potential of Timmons or Fox...Humpal also should make the team
LB Arnold Harrison RFA..........Gone, see notes on Frazier
CB Fernando Bryant UFA........Gone
CB Anthony Madison RFA.......Gone
CB Bryant McFadden UFA.......Resigned
S Anthony Smith RFA...............Gone
P Mitch Berger UFA...................Gone

steelerchad
02-02-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm most concerned about McFadden. I know Gay has played great, but I think BMac could be a solid corner for the next 6-7 years for us.
Although, we won't lose anyone on our D line to free agency we really need to get some youth in there next year. So in 2 to 3 years they are ready to step in as both Hampton and Smith are aging.

PolamaluPower
02-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Washington and McFadden will stay.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2009, 03:17 PM

We may see:

G Chris Kemoeatu UFA.........GONE to team that will overpay him based on SB win.
T Max Starks UFA......................resigned (sorry)... LT next year with Hills at RT
T Marvel Smith UFA..................GONE, Noone can miss 22 games in 4 years and be retained
LB Andre Frazier UFA...............GONE, backup doesnt have potential of Timmons or Fox...Humpal also should make the team

This all seems likely. I just really hope somebody outbids us for Starks and he goes.

KeiselPower99
02-02-2009, 03:37 PM
As long as we add some competition of both lines and get a DB somewhere we will be fine. I do want Byron back but we all know he will be a starter somewhere next year.

JoeLion
02-02-2009, 05:04 PM
The draft will be very interesting this year. They have to draft at least two offensive linemen. A LB, corner back and probably a wr. A defensive end is probably in the picture as well. Perhaps a big back.? Does not leave much for other positions.

SteelCurtain7
02-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Does anybody know how many picks the Steelers will have?

gosteeler
02-02-2009, 05:45 PM
I think you may see batch retire and become a coach and leftwich may stay as the backup!!! wouldn't shock me

also sweed was drafted because Hines won't be resigned after his deal is up!!!

JPSEMP
02-02-2009, 07:07 PM
You have to let Washington and Mcfadden go unless the market value proves to be reasonable which probably won't be the case. You would have to think about maybe re-doing Harrison's contract, give him a little love for his stellar year. Gay is to close to B-Mac to waste the caproom. Washington proved to be a valuable asset this season hope he gets a nice contract somewhere and does well. The offensive line gets complicated because although none of the individual parts were pretty they were serviceable enough as a unit to win a superbowl with. ( hard to convey my opinion there without giving anymore than the little credit they deserve). What do they do with the line? Do they scrap 3 players and start over? I think you have to try carryover at least 3 starters over to next years line then weed out a few more the following year.

Dino 6 Rings
02-02-2009, 07:33 PM
I think you may see batch retire and become a coach and leftwich may stay as the backup!!! wouldn't shock me

also sweed was drafted because Hines won't be resigned after his deal is up!!!

You need to go down to the Dollar General and spend a little cash and Buy yourself a CLUE!

Leftwich is gone.

Hines is going to get the Bettis "retire a Steeler" Treatment and retire a Steeler with 1 year deals til he wants to retire.

stillers4me
02-02-2009, 07:40 PM

I don't know the answer to that question but we don't ....ummmm.......exactly have the best pick of this draft!

The good news is that history is on our side. The draft after we won XL, we moved up and took .......Santonio Holmes.

Remember how many balls he dropped that first year? :chuckle:

Dino 6 Rings
02-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Remember how many balls he dropped that first year? :chuckle:

Yes I do, he couldn't catch a cold til that Bengals OT Game when he crushed them with is game winning slant and run TD Play.

HometownGal
02-02-2009, 07:51 PM

We may see:

Good work LLT! :thumbsup:

Out of that list, I wouldn't mind seeing Batch, Colon, Starks, Smith and Berger taking a hike. We are probably going to lose Lefty and we need to sign a more reliable backup than Batch imho. Love the guy, but I get stomach cramps every time he has to come into a game. :horror: Smith is a hothead, Colon is an incompetent boob and Starks is making WAY too much moola for what he produces.

I'd really like the Steelers to keep Kemo and B-Mac - I think they both are diamonds in the rough.

The Duke
02-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Only care for Colon, Essex and Nate. and nate could likely be gone

Move colon to guard and he'll be a beast. And I love essex and his versatility at playing all 3 positions, even as a backup

GridironWarrior
02-02-2009, 08:47 PM
I think Washington, Kemo, and McFadden will be back. How many years does Townsend have on his contract? That might play a factor. I think Washington dropped too many passes to get a huge pay day from another team.

gosteeler
02-02-2009, 09:35 PM
i don't need a clue, I see it every year when they don' t pay the players what they deserve

it will happen with ward also, and miller is gone after next year also

steeltheone
02-02-2009, 09:42 PM
i don't need a clue, I see it every year when they don' t pay the players what they deserve

It's the way the cap works...You cannot over pay every player top dollar. You are clueless.

yinzer-inseattle
02-02-2009, 09:53 PM

Are we seriously going to have the "Rooney's are cheap" discussion the day after we WIN the Super Bowl? Outrageous. Let them all go. We've won 2 SB in the past 4 years. Not signing some guys has obviously paid off.

jjpro11
02-02-2009, 10:32 PM
out of the UFAs, i would hope that we re-sign at least one of the 3; washington, kemoeatu, and mcfadden.

meelanova
02-02-2009, 11:30 PM
who can we pick up in FA?

KeiselPower99
02-02-2009, 11:47 PM

On theredzone.org they have a complete list of all free agents. I made a list of possible pickups that could help us.
Shaun Cody DE/DT Detroit
Jonathan Babineaux Dt/E Atlanta
Keiwan Ratliff CB Colts
Jim Leonhard S Baltimore
Adam Seward ILB Carolina
Charlie Frye QB Seattle
Evan Mathis G Miami
Geoff Hangartner C/G Carolina
Stacy Andrews T Cincy
Khalif Barnes T Jags

MasterOfPuppets
02-03-2009, 05:46 AM
On theredzone.org they have a complete list of all free agents. I made a list of possible pickups that could help us.
Shaun Cody DE/DT Detroit
Keiwan Ratliff CB Colts
Jim Leonhard S Baltimore
Adam Seward ILB Carolina
Charlie Frye QB Seattle
Evan Mathis G Miami
Stacy Andrews T Cincy
Khalif Barnes T Jags
unless you want someone even worse than colon or starks.....scratch barnes from the list....:coffee: ....chris canty, DE, of the cowboys would be a nice pick up.

nort10
02-03-2009, 07:50 AM

i'd love to have Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, so surprised hes not on a team now...

peppers would be a pleasent surprise, but these are all pipe dreams

colbert and co. will find some studly out there :helmet:

Steeldude
02-03-2009, 08:30 AM
marvel smith could be inexpensive. his age and back problems are only going to hurt him in the free agent market. if the steelers refuse to look for a LT in the draft or free agency then expect smith or starks to be signed. also, signing starks doesn't mean 7 mil a year.

i have no problem seeing mcfadden go. i've never understood why fans think he is something special. he is nothing more than average, IMO. gay will do just fine.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Shaun Cody DE/DT Detroit
Keiwan Ratliff CB Colts
Jim Leonhard S Baltimore
Adam Seward ILB Carolina
Charlie Frye QB Seattle
Evan Mathis G Miami
Stacy Andrews T Cincy
Khalif Barnes T Jags

If we want a quick fix and have the means...Jordan Gross the pro-bowl OT from Carolina is a free agent. Of all possible pickups...he would be the one I would zero in on.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-03-2009, 08:47 AM

As of now we can plan on 8 picks...(one in each round except the 3rd in which we may get another pick in compensation for Faneca)

There is also a rumor that the Lions are interested in Larry Foote....so with Timmons coming on...we might see a trade for picks if that pans out. Detroit has 3 of the first 33 picks.

Curtain_of_Steel
02-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Isn't Foote an FA? We won't get anything for him. More importantly you not getting a 1st round pick for Foote in any year.
Timmons in, Foote out.

No way the Steelers go after Gross, he is going to be huge to sign, start with Hutchinson money than add some.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-03-2009, 10:51 AM
If we want a quick fix and have the means...Jordan Gross the pro-bowl OT from Carolina is a free agent. Of all possible pickups...he would be the one I would zero in on.

I still like the idea of Chris Canty from Dallas if he tests the market.

If the Rooneys grab the highest priced free agent OT in Gross..........I think it signals the beginning of the apocalypse. I dont expect it at all.

lamberts-lost-tooth
02-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Isn't Foote an FA? We won't get anything for him. More importantly you not getting a 1st round pick for Foote in any year.
Timmons in, Foote out.

No way the Steelers go after Gross, he is going to be huge to sign, start with Hutchinson money than add some.

1) Foote is not a FA.....In March of 2005 Foote signed a five-year contract worth $13.43 million, which includes a $3.25 million signing bonus.... .his 2009 salary is about $2,885,000...with a bonus of $650,000

2) Who said anything about a first round pick? ...I mentioned the first three picks to show that they have extra picks in this draft and may be willing to deal or package picks to pick up free agents

3) I dont think we will go after Gross either, but rather said that he would be a quick fix for our O-line ...thats why I said "he would be the one I would zero in on...and not "he would be the one the Steelers will zero in on"

MJ5150
02-03-2009, 11:37 AM
There is also a rumor that the Lions are interested in Larry Foote.....

The Rooneys better not trade Larry to the Lions. What an absolutely terrible way to thank him for his years of service and contributions to our last two SB wins.

"Hey Larry....thanks for all you blood, sweat, and tears since we drafted you in 2002. Now pack your bags, we're trading you to Detroit."

But, Larry is from Detroit, so maybe he would like playing there. Talk about going from one extreme to another though. Yikes!

-Mike

jjpro11
02-03-2009, 11:44 AM
The Rooneys better not trade Larry to the Lions. What an absolutely terrible way to thank him for his years of service and contributions to our last two SB wins.

"Hey Larry....thanks for all you blood, sweat, and tears since we drafted you in 2002. Now pack your bags, we're trading you to Detroit."

But, Larry is from Detroit, so maybe he would like playing there. Talk about going from one extreme to another though. Yikes!

-Mike

there was actually an article not long ago saying he wouldnt mind finishing his career there so that he can help out the kids and coach there when he's done. he obviously loves where he came from, he mentions his high school, Pershing, instead of Michigan during the introductions on NBC.

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I bet if they tell Foote that they want to get Timmons on the field more next season, that Larry will want to take his 2 SB rings, memories and go elsewhere to be a starter. Problem is that he isnt big enough to be a 4-3 MLB or fast enough to be a 4-3 OLB.

Is Detroit making a shift to a 3-4?? IF so, then Foote for a 5th rounder, or maybe Foote and the #32 pick to move up to the 20 spot and get a LT?

The Duke
02-03-2009, 01:53 PM
i'd love to have Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, so surprised hes not on a team now...

peppers would be a pleasent surprise, but these are all pipe dreams

colbert and co. will find some studly out there :helmet:

KGB really?

the man lost his speed, which is all he had as a player actually.

Peppers is going to become the highest paid defensive player in the league, after haynesworty probably though. He's nowhere near the steelers radar

HAWK
02-03-2009, 06:40 PM
What's the status of Heath's contract? When is he a FA?