PDA

View Full Version : Need Parade Info....Help

steelerzfannforever
02-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Im coming in from Ohio for the parade, but I really dont know where to go. I know it starts at Melon Arena, but can anyone inform me with things such as parking and I know the last time they had like a stage for the players. Is that in the beginning, middle or end of the parade? Any help would be appreciated.

Stu Pidasso
02-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Basically park where you can without getting towed, make your way to Point Park (or as close as you can) and keep your wallet in your front pocket, it gets crowded.

WVUSteelers
02-02-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm coming in from Youngwood, but what time do you think I should leave my house?

HometownGal
02-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Here is the info on the parade guys. It starts at 12 NOON and does not begin at Mellon Arena, but at 7th and Grant Streets and will proceed down Grant Street to the Bouelvard of the Allies - go down the Boulevard to Stanwix. XT and I will be there too! :tt03::applaudit:

http://kdka.com/steelers/Steelers.Victory.parade.2.924844.html

Preparations Begin For Steelers Victory ParadePITTSBURGH (KDKA)

Preparations have already started for the Steelers' victory parade.

Parts of the Boulevard of the Allies are already closed as Pittsburgh prepares to honor its Super Bowl heroes.

The parade begins at Seventh Avenue and Grant Street at noon. It will then wind its way down Grant Street to the Boulevard of the Allies.

The parade will end at a big reviewing stand at the Boulevard of the Allies and Stanwix Street.

City officials met with television executives earlier today to make plans for broadcasting the parade live and police are bringing out the manpower to keep the crowd safe.

Pittsburgh Police Chief Nate Harper says they are expecting more than 250,000 people in the crowd.

The Super Bowl parade in 2006 caused concern for public safety personnel who didn't anticipate the huge crowd that poured into narrow Fifth Avenue and mobbed some of the players.

Tomorrow's parade will be on a much wider street, the Boulevard of the Allies, and fencing will keep spectators away from the players.

Six high school marching bands, one for each Steelers Super Bowl victory, will be in the parade.

DOWNTOWN ROAD CLOSURES:

At 9 a.m., Stanwix Street from Fort Pitt Boulevard to the Boulevard of the Allies will be closed.

The parade route begins at Seventh Avenue and Grant Street. From there, the parade will follow Boulevard of the Allies and will end at Stanwix Street. This route will be closed to traffic beginning at 9:30 a.m. until 3 p.m.

There will be no parking on the Boulevard of the Allies.

All traffic is expected to return to normal for the afternoon rush hour.

Fans are encouraged to use public transportation.

The Gateway Clipper is starting shuttle service at 9 a.m. to the Mon River side of Point State Park. It costs $5 per person, but kids age 6 and younger can ride free.

Part of their proceeds will go to the Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank.

Stu Pidasso
02-02-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm coming in from Youngwood, but what time do you think I should leave my house?

15 minutes ago.

CargoJon
02-02-2009, 10:20 PM
If it were me, I'd park somwhere near one of the stadiums and walk across the bridge....IIRC the traffic coming out of the city once the parade was over last time was awful.

HometownGal
02-02-2009, 10:24 PM
I heard on WPXI that they are running shuttles from Station Square - can't find any solid info, though. You could also park in the South Side at one of the open lots and take a bus over. Many buses run straight down Carson Street and into dahntahn.

iloveben7
02-02-2009, 10:53 PM
I would park in the strip district and walk a long way. That's what we did the last time. This year I'm just taking a bus from Pitt around 9:45. I'm so excited.

KeiselPower99
02-02-2009, 11:25 PM
Ill park near 36 grille and walk over.

tony hipchest
02-02-2009, 11:45 PM
any word if tomlin will lead a "we dey" chant?