PDA

View Full Version : Media says Ben should have been the MVP?

T.Richardson
02-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Agree or disagree?

Dino 6 Rings
02-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Agree, or at least Co-MVPs, like in 1978.

steelreserve
02-02-2009, 01:02 PM
I don't give a flying f*** who got the MVP as long as we won the game.

fansince'76
02-02-2009, 01:04 PM
To get MVP last night, I think Ben would have had to go for 300+, and at least 2 more TDs, seeing as how his last name isn't "Brady" or "Manning"....

OX1947
02-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Ben will have 2 or 3 more chances, dont worry..

Benzbrother
02-02-2009, 01:07 PM
I definitely thought that he should have gotten the MVP. I mean I don't disagree with Holmes, but I think Ben deserved it more with his numerous scrambling plays not only in the final drive, but in the entire game

Polamalu43
02-02-2009, 01:09 PM
really thought that ben and holmes, should have been C0-MVP's

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2009, 01:13 PM
I think Holmes was the rightful winner. Ben had a good game and authored the winning drive.........But it was almost exclusively to Holmes and that catch was the fishizzle.

Benzbrother
02-02-2009, 01:23 PM
I think Holmes was the rightful winner. Ben had a good game and authored the winning drive.........But it was almost exclusively to Holmes and that catch was the fishizzle.

Again, I definitely don't doubt that Santonio deserved it, but that final drive was just Big Ben's season in a nutshell and I think that he should have finally got the recognition he deserves. And just remember, Ben had to put that ball in that window about the size of a football for that play to happen. (and oh yea, he did it on the play before too)

GO STEELERS!!!:tt:

Mags87
02-02-2009, 01:25 PM
I think Holmes did deserve it. He was getting open in the most important drive of the game. He also got the yards after the catch. I do think Ben was a great candidate too but hey we won, what else can you ask for :applaudit:

7SteelGal43
02-02-2009, 01:27 PM
I agree whole-heartedly. As I said in a previous post, I have no gripes about Holmes gettin it cause he had a helluva game, but I couldn't help but think Ben may have deserved it a little more. But ya know what ? We'll be back and I guarantee ya Ben will have a Super Bowl MVP award before it's all over :chuckle:
:tt::tt03::tt02::helmet:

SIXBURGH, BABY

STEELERS 4 LIFE

TailgateMel
02-02-2009, 01:29 PM
LOL...

I don't know if the folks at the nfl shop are sleeping or what.. but I was looking @ the championship T-shirts today & came across this:

http://www.nflshop.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3469609&cp=3459209.3462146&PRODUCTS_PER_PAGE=9&pageDisplay=family&page_bucket=0&int_prevBucket=-1&totalProductsCount=17&pageType=family&view=all&showSizeSearch=false&int_nextBucket=0&PAGES_PER_BUCKET=10&pageCount=2&hasPagination=false&num_buckets=1&pageNum=1&parentPage=family

The Pittsburgh Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger Super Bowl® XLIII Champion MVP short-sleeve shirt from Reebok® is sure to be one of your favorites! It's designed with the team logo, a dynamic image of Ben Roethlisberger in action, his name, number,and the Super Bowl® XLIII MVP graphic screen-printed on the chest.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=765&d=1233602939

7SteelGal43
02-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Ben will have 2 or 3 more chances, dont worry..

that's what I'm saying :tt:

JEFF4i
02-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Both, really.

Holmes made some incredible catches on that last drive.

4G63
02-02-2009, 01:40 PM
I think he was. If it wasn't for him, that last drive doesn't happen IMO....

tony hipchest
02-02-2009, 02:01 PM
ben played better than either manning brother when they won their mvp.

heard some real good points on tv thismorning.

if brady had bens numbers and moss had those of holmes, theres no way they wouldnt have given the mvp to brady. (i agree)

had cardinals won theres no way warner wouldnt get the award despite how great fitz was. (not so sure).

PolamaluPower
02-02-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm happy about Holmes, but I do think Ben deserved it.

devilsdancefloor
02-02-2009, 02:37 PM
they both deserved it! but i think the amazing td toe tap got him the MVP for sure! He is taking ben along for the victory lap around disney!

KeiselPower99
02-02-2009, 02:39 PM
To get MVP last night, I think Ben would have had to go for 300+, and at least 2 more TDs, seeing as how his last name isn't "Brady" or "Manning"....

Couldnt agree more. Everyone tears him apart for the way he plays. He has 2 titles in 5 years as a pro. I think its time people get off the Romo Mannings Brady bandwagon and begin to recognize what Ben is really all about.....Winning!

Steelerstrength
02-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Couldnt agree more. Everyone tears him apart for the way he plays. He has 2 titles in 5 years as a pro. I think its time people get off the Romo Mannings Brady bandwagon and begin to recognize what Ben is really all about.....Winning!

:iagree: Big Ben made it happen! Tone was a great beneficiary! Co-MVP's would have been acceptable without any complaints.

:sign01:

caseydog
02-02-2009, 03:05 PM
I was a bit surprised when they announced Holmes as MVP. Yes, he made the killer catch that won the game, but I thought Ben played the whole game well, and led the offense like a true leader -- and he threw the pass that Holmes caught.

I also would have been pleased with a co-MVP. That would have recognized Holmes for his game-winning catch, and also recognized Ben for his performance all game long.

CD

steel striker
02-02-2009, 03:09 PM
I think Ben could have been the mvp and, he made some super plays on 5-6 times eluding the pass rush making bid=g time plays down the field. There is nothing wrong with Tone getting the mvp as mentioned the bottom line is we won the game. What a game winning drive by Ben that was something special!

LambertIsGod58
02-02-2009, 03:15 PM
To me....I think Ben was more deserving of the MVP honor. Ben made several outstanding throws. I think if the TD run Ben made stood, he would have won it. I do believe the award is political. I'd love to see Ben get 2 more rings so he'd have 4 like Bradshaw.

Michael Keller
02-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Ben has 3 more rings ahead thus he wil get his MVP soon.

SteelCurtain7
02-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Agree or disagree?

If Ben finishes with no turnovers, I don't think co-MVP is out of the question.

That being said, I don't believe that he--or we--should care. All that matters is the Lombardi Trophy and the SB ring. :tt:

ambsteeler
02-02-2009, 04:08 PM
ben should have got mvp but i also dont disagree with santonio getting mvp

JackHammer
02-02-2009, 04:18 PM
delete plz

JackHammer
02-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Ben should have won it IMO.21/30 for 70%, 256 yards, 1TD, and 1 INT. Beyond the 70% the numbers aren't spectacular, but they're not bad either. The big thing that separates Ben from Holmes is that Ben made big plays at key times, all game long AND at the end. Holmes made some plays on the final drive that were made possible by Ben's ability to extend the pocket AND keep his eyes down field(ie avoiding the sack on 1st and 20). One thing that's worth pointing out is Holmes making some bad decisions on that final drive. The first down where he does his little first down celebration and drops the ball, wasting time. After the long reception into the red zone he gets up and takes his good old time celebrating, which killed any chance of spiking the ball. Then using the ball as a prop(stupid rule btw) isn't smart at all. I'm not bent out of shape, or dogging him for doing those things. After all, he made big time plays when it counted the most. My only point is that Ben made big plays all game long and he never lost his focus during the final drive. Big Ben deserves MVP.

Steel_Bus_24
02-02-2009, 04:56 PM
I have no prob with Holmes getting it

but there is a point to be made that......in that same scenario, theres no way they give up a chance to make Marsha or Manning the MVP

Curtain_of_Steel
02-02-2009, 05:09 PM
BB.

Holmes can only catch what is thrown to him. If the QB did not make any errors during the game, which BB didn't and saved the game, than he has to have at least a share of it.
If Holmes ran back a punt or something, than yea its holmes, but he didnt, and in fact i had to hold my breath everytime he didnt a PR for fear his fumblitis may surface, lol

MasterOfPuppets
02-02-2009, 05:36 PM
I think Holmes was the rightful winner. Ben had a good game and authored the winning drive.........But it was almost exclusively to Holmes and that catch was the fishizzle. now ask yourself..... how many other qb's woulda got them passes off , let alone , very catchable balls. i'm certainly not deminishing holmes contribution, but i just think bens ability to get those passes to holmes, was more impressive than the catches themselves.

fansince'76
02-02-2009, 05:41 PM
now ask yourself..... how many other qb's woulda got them passes off , let alone , very catchable balls. i'm certainly not deminishing holmes contribution, but i just think bens ability to get those passes to holmes, was more impressive than the catches themselves.

Especially the game winner - perfect, and I mean PERFECT, throw.

steelerdave1969
02-02-2009, 05:43 PM

I hate to say it, but your really right about that Manning and Brady thing. But if the Cardinals would have won this game then Kurt Warner definitely would have been super bowl MVP. I would have to say that I would have voted for Ben if hadnt already voted for LB James Harrison
:tt02:

Dino 6 Rings
02-02-2009, 06:51 PM
I think...now hear me out...that it was a very tough call to give the MVP to Ben when Warner had a statistically better game. with 377 yards and 3 tds...to bens what? 265 and 1 TD. So then you have to consider the next in line and Holmes had a better game than Fitzgerald...on paper in yardage and the bigger clutch catch.

So that is why I think they went to Holmes as the official MVP, because Warner set another SB Yardage record and it didn't seem right to give the MVP to the other QB.

iloveben7
02-02-2009, 09:59 PM
I totally think Santonio deserved it, but maybe Ben as well. But scrambling and extending plays and leading his 19th 4th quarter comeback is what Ben ALWAYS does, so that's what we expected of him.

SC Steeler Steve
02-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Agree, or at least Co-MVPs, like in 1978.

really thought that ben and holmes, should have been C0-MVP's

Both, really.

Holmes made some incredible catches on that last drive.

I agree with this. I think Ben certainly was the MVP, But I also think that Santonio made some game saving plays. The last drive was where the MVP had to come from, Since The cards came back that eliminated Harrison from getting it. So since the last drive was were the MVP had to come from and they both came through big, I think CO-MVPs would have been correct.

CaliStillersFan
02-02-2009, 10:13 PM
I would have liked to see a CO-MVP. It was the Ben/Santonio show, especially in the 4th quarter.

OX1947
02-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Ben was more then qualified to win it. However, as Steeler fans, lets look at it this way. Ben will be Ben regardless if he had won the MVP or not. For Holmes however, Santonio's motivation will skyrocket from here on out and look for him to be a 80 catch 1200 and 12 TD player next year if he is healthy the entire year. He is due for that kind of season anyways.

VegasStlrFan
02-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Ben definitely, screw the stats, he plays the best schoolyard football you will ever see. He put on a 3rd down, "How to keep a drive alive" clinic last night!

Holmes had a great game, I was very impressed. He had chance to catch the 1st TD pass (I know picky, picky,picky), luckily he got a second shot and made a beauty of catch and toe drag. The only negatives were the endzone celebration (thats 15yds if the ref catches it), and his interviews after the game, way to many "I's" in there for a team sport. Probably just caught up in the heat of the moment. He stll had a hellof a game.

Preacher
02-02-2009, 11:40 PM
HOnestly, I am ok with either one of them winning it.

I don't think Ward makes that catch... he is too short and not able to get there (bad knee).

I don't want Washington or Sweed going for that catch, least not yet.

Holmes made those plays happen downfield just as much as Ben made them happen in the pocket. Holmes uncovered beautifully and got some BIG yardage.

Ben... what did he do? He just ran around like a mouse through a pack of lions and still threw beautiful passes with accuracy and perfect decision making on that last drive.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if we find out there was a coin-flip in the back room to see which one would win.

After all, Cadillac ain't giving away two SUV's!!

VegasStlrFan
02-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Preacher, you may be more right than will ever know on the coin flip theory.

rick723
02-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Santonio, James or Ben. I would support either of the 3 or, all three as CO-MVP's

rick723
02-02-2009, 11:48 PM
BTW, who picks the MVP?

SC Steeler Steve
02-02-2009, 11:55 PM
HOnestly, I am ok with either one of them winning it.

I don't think Ward makes that catch... he is too short and not able to get there (bad knee).

I don't want Washington or Sweed going for that catch, least not yet.

Holmes made those plays happen downfield just as much as Ben made them happen in the pocket. Holmes uncovered beautifully and got some BIG yardage.

Ben... what did he do? He just ran around like a mouse through a pack of lions and still threw beautiful passes with accuracy and perfect decision making on that last drive.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if we find out there was a coin-flip in the back room to see which one would win.

LOL, you may be right sure enough.

MasterOfPuppets
02-03-2009, 12:56 AM
why not ??? i'm sure they coulda got the government to pay for them....:noidea:

iloveben7
02-05-2009, 06:39 PM
BTW, who picks the MVP?

20% is the fans' votes
80% is the on-site media members

Steelersfanforlife
02-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Agree or disagree?
AGREE

Fire Haley
02-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Ben and Santonio are going to Disney World together.

It's all good.

SteelCityKing
02-05-2009, 06:59 PM
I don't give a flying f*** who got the MVP as long as we won the game.

who would want to receive a flying f*ck? and since when do f*cks fly!? really!? ha!

SteelCityKing
02-05-2009, 07:00 PM
20% is the fans' votes
80% is the on-site media members

why can't more things in the NFL be fan voted upon!? i mean, why can't people like us have a say in what happens in the NFL? like Super Bowl locations and expansion team locations? i know it's all about money...but it's the fans who give up that money to make money. big whoop...we get to vote for the Pro Bowl! bu why not Hall of Famers too!? that'd be nice.

lilyoder6
02-05-2009, 07:09 PM
who would want to receive a flying f*ck? and since when do f*cks fly!? really!? ha!

ok??

anyway.. i think holmes got b/c of the fact he had 4 of ben's 7 completions.. and out of the 88 yrds had like 73 of them including the td...

dash66
02-05-2009, 07:49 PM
I have to say that I would have voted for Ben, but if you listen to most of the media, other than the ones who are from the Burgh, Ben isn't that good of a quarterback. And it's understandable that they have this opinion of him, because after all, his last name isn't Manning or Brady. If they gave Ben the MVP trophy once, and he also had TWO rings, how could they say he wasn't as good as Payton? Hence the vote for Holms.

Also, offence is sexier than defense, otherwise Harrison might have won it! :-)

jjpro11
02-05-2009, 08:21 PM
i really do not mind holmes winning it at all. i just want to say one thing.. nate washington hurt his arm after his catch on the final drive.. ward was already hurt, and clearly wasnt a huge threat to the cardinals.. we had limas sweed who hasnt caught a thing all year.. that pretty much left holmes, miller, and the running back as the only viable options on the final drive. holmes was basically the only real downfield threat to the cardinals, yet he was still able to consistently beat the coverage. he was facing triple coverage on his last td, yet still was able to get open and make a catch for the ages. of course ben's throw couldnt have been more perfect, but holmes was incredible for us in the clutch and was well deserving of the mvp.

MDSteel15
02-05-2009, 08:36 PM
I definitely thought that he should have gotten the MVP. I mean I don't disagree with Holmes, but I think Ben deserved it more with his numerous scrambling plays not only in the final drive, but in the entire game

ding ding ding ding

lardlad
02-05-2009, 09:41 PM
I think they all need to shut up about this and ALLOW Holmes to enjoy his time. I think it could be a coin toss, but I am getting upset about all this. You may say that you think ben should have gotten it, but you CANNOT say Holmes didn't earn it.

I say way to go Holmes!

The_WARDen
02-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Agree or disagree?

Agree...if his name was Ben Manning he would have been MVP.