PDA

View Full Version : Santonio's "Lebron" celebration

Mags87
02-02-2009, 01:17 PM
can anyone find a picture of that after he threw up his arms? i think that would make a good desktop background. Go Steelers!

tyler289
02-02-2009, 01:33 PM
best i could find:

can't link it, but it's number 79 in yahoo's photo gallery

slippy
02-02-2009, 01:34 PM
we're lucky they didnt call a penalty on that.

Steelcitygal87
02-02-2009, 01:40 PM

I was thinking the same thing. He should have been flagged for end zone celebration using a prop. Had it been called, would have made a HUGE difference in field position on the kick-off. I think the refs. were too busy concentrating on whether or not his feet were in and he had possession.

brick
02-02-2009, 01:49 PM
great pic, great celebration :tt02:

i was afraid he was gonna get flagged too, im surprised he didnt but who cares if any catch deserved a celebration in that game it was that one.

Dino 6 Rings
02-02-2009, 01:54 PM
No one saw the celebration til after the PAT was kicked, it happened at the back side of the endzone facing the crowd...we lucked out on that...stupid penalties and stupid plays cost people games...we should know better.

Mags87
02-02-2009, 01:57 PM
best i could find:

can't link it, but it's number 79 in yahoo's photo gallery

what did you search for?

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
02-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Still think that shouldn't be a penalty. Why isn't dunking the ball over the goalpost a penalty then? Or giving it to a fan?

Gooch
02-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Best one I could find.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0902/nfl.super.bowl.XLIII/images/aa.opgn-117282-mid.jpg

Mags87
02-02-2009, 02:53 PM
[QUOTE=Gooch;554232]Best one I could find.

that will do! thanks

MJ5150
02-02-2009, 02:54 PM
I think the AZ fans got a legit complaint about that not being called an excessive celebration penalty.

-Mike

Steelerstrength
02-02-2009, 03:18 PM
The haters need to get a grip! This was the Superbowl.

I suppose the refs should have called excessive celebration for the three Steelers mobbing Santonio after he made the catch?!

That is not a call you make in the Superbowl! It is not a legitimate complaint! And yes, professional judgement, along with experience, makes a difference in maintaining the integrity of the game. And that behavior applies to the actions of both the players and ref's.

I'm glad the Refs weren't all A-Type personalities!

Stover4Prez
02-02-2009, 03:22 PM
It was a good no call. You never want to see the game decided by something stupid. However, by the rule book I think it qualified as using the ball as a prop and could have got 15 yards. TO got 15 for lining up like an Olympic sprinter because he "went to the ground" And I think it was a Pats guy who got 15 for a snow angel. So I definetly think it was within the rules to give Santonio 15.

plenewken
02-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Best one I could find.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0902/nfl.super.bowl.XLIII/images/aa.opgn-117282-mid.jpg

And this would justify a penalty ?????? C'mon!

Stover4Prez
02-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Unfortunately, yes. "Using the ball as a prop." Just before it he took the cap off, shook the powder on his hands and then threw it up in the air. I don't agree with the rule, I'm just saying it could qualify.

SteelCurtain7
02-02-2009, 03:55 PM

All the whiny haters at BSPN on Jim Rome's show said it should have been. :rolleyes:

I've heard less whining and crying in a nursery filled with newborn babies than I have with these petulant tool-bags. :banging:

plenewken
02-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Unfortunately, yes. "Using the ball as a prop." Just before it he took the cap off, shook the powder on his hands and then threw it up in the air. I don't agree with the rule, I'm just saying it could qualify.

Methink there are way too many rules now, some completely stupid. They're slowing but surely killing the game. That worries me.

Mags87
02-02-2009, 03:59 PM
i dont agree with that rule at all though. 15 yards for a snow angel is pretty ridiculous. i love what Lebron does before games with his ritual. i loved what he did and i think it would have been an awful to be penalized. it didnt hurt anyone, dont see how it would be offensive either.

Stover4Prez
02-02-2009, 04:57 PM
All the whiny haters at BSPN on Jim Rome's show said it should have been. :rolleyes:

I've heard less whining and crying in a nursery filled with newborn babies than I have with these petulant tool-bags. :banging:

They aren't whiny haters. The forum guest was simply pointing out a clear penalty that didn't get called. Regardless of how dumb the rule is and how ticky tack it might be, it is the rule that all 32 teams agreed to at the beginning of the season.

1. Can you use a ball as a prop in a celebration? NO
2. Did Santonio use the ball as a prop in the celebration? YES

It isn't hatred on the Steelers. It is just a legit observation of what transpired. The original question was "How did the refs do?" That was an honest answer. They missed a couple calls and should have taken a couple more minutes with a concise explanation to the fans about the last play. Would it have changed the outcome? We'll never know. Doesn't matter now. But it is still a fact a rule was broken and there was no flag.

#1LambertFan
02-02-2009, 05:00 PM
I was the only one at the bar who knew what he was doing. I didn't even think about how we could have been called for that until after the game was over. Good thing the refs head was turned. See picture

El-Gonzo Jackson
02-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Good thing the refs head was turned. See picture

Funny...........that is the same position the refs had all year when James Harrison was getting mugged rushing the passer. :laughing:

Preacher
02-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Funny...........that is the same position the refs had all year when James Harrison was getting mugged rushing the passer. :laughing:

Yep.

Santo should have had his head screw on tighter. You DO NOT do that... especially in a SB game.

Or when you catch the ball and your tackled, and the clock is running, you don't go strutting into the endzone WITH THE BALL.

Thank goodness they called a time out. He still has maturing to do, but his game is coming on strong.

MJ5150
02-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Why in the world were Michaels and Madden debating if he was pouring out hot sauce or ketchup? It was obviously a tribute to LeBron James.

-Mike

jjpro11
02-02-2009, 06:26 PM
this could very well be the end of the "prop rule" in the nfl. the nfl saw first hand that one of their rules that is so incredibly insignificant could have possibly help determine the outcome of the super bowl.. the mere fact that it created unneeded controversy it created alone should be enough to throw the rule out.

PisnNapalm
02-02-2009, 07:15 PM
I hate celebrations like this.... Spike the ball with authority and get off the field.

I also dislike the gatorade bath for the coach. I'd like to see the team carry Tomlin the way the team of the 70's carried Noll.

X-Terminator
02-02-2009, 07:40 PM
That should have been a penalty, and it wasn't called. Like it or not, you just can't do that, and Santo is lucky the ref didn't see it, or the Cards would have had at least another 10 yards of field position. That and the ticky-tack "roughing the passer" call are the only legitmate beefs the crybabies have.

SteelCurtain7
02-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Why in the world were Michaels and Madden debating if he was pouring out hot sauce or ketchup? It was obviously a tribute to LeBron James.

-Mike

Because all Madden thinks about is food? Check out the guy's waistline!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

touchdownward
02-02-2009, 07:47 PM
I was thinking the same thing. He should have been flagged for end zone celebration using a prop. Had it been called, would have made a HUGE difference in field position on the kick-off. I think the refs. were too busy concentrating on whether or not his feet were in and he had possession.

I don't know, the refs turned a blind eye to the Titan that celebrated in the EZ with a titan "terrible towel". :noidea:

I heard Faulk bellyaching about the celebration, he said the cards would have had better field position. So what, they would have been 15 yds closer to the endzone when Warner fumbled? :laughing:

HometownGal
02-02-2009, 07:52 PM

B -I-N-G-O. Why didn't the refs call the 2 clear muggins I saw on Silverback last night?

I'm sick to death of hearing what woulda, shoulda, coulda. The game is over - the Steeler won - the Steelers are World Champs - END OF STORY. :banging::banging:

Mags87
02-02-2009, 07:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ3n6vR2KuE

just in case you missed it :applaudit:

jjpro11
02-02-2009, 08:05 PM
I don't know, the refs turned a blind eye to the Titan that celebrated in the EZ with a titan "terrible towel". :noidea:

I heard Faulk bellyaching about the celebration, he said the cards would have had better field position. So what, they would have been 15 yds closer to the endzone when Warner fumbled? :laughing:

faulk was teammates with warner.. no surprise he was hating on the steelers every chance he got. he is known to be a real douche bag in person anyhow.

MasterOfPuppets
02-02-2009, 08:08 PM
No one saw the celebration til after the PAT was kicked, it happened at the back side of the endzone facing the crowd...we lucked out on that...stupid penalties and stupid plays cost people games...we should know better.the bad part is, these clowns should know the rules..... teams should start hitting these guys with fines for drawing STUPID penalties.

HughC
02-02-2009, 08:33 PM
The team lucked out. Obviously none of the refs saw it. The outcome with Arizona starting 15 yards closer most likely would not have changed, but I would prefer a win without that debate available for other fans.

If the refs did see it and chose to ignore it, that's even worse. Unlike holdin, which could be called on nearly every play, the rules are very clear on a play like this one. You either call all of them or none of them, there is no in between gray area on the celebration penalty. That being said, I think it's a dumb rule and should be changed; hopefully the NFL competition committee will re-evaluate this off season.

VegasStlrFan
02-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Stupid move by Holmes, should have been a penalty.