PDA

View Full Version : Anybody do Custom Mcfarlanes?

Benzbrother
02-02-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm thinking about trying it out myself and was wondering if there were any experienced guys in here who could maybe point me in the right direction on how to get started? Like what kind of supplies and where to get them? I'm really kinda goin at this blind, but think it would be a really neat thing to try out. I appreciate it guys!

GO STEELERS!!!!!:tt:

Hobbes
02-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Here are acouple of links that I found awhile back to get you started:

http://www.sportslizard.com/customs.php

http://www.customsbyjomo.com/tips.html

If you built plastic models before that experience helps alot. I've done some NASCAR figures (Earnhardt jr & sr, Kasey Kane, Clint Bowyer) I'm going to try my hand at some Steelers next. Good luck! :tt:

Benzbrother
02-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Awesome, thanks a lot! I'm sure my first one(s) won't be too pretty...but it seems like a neat hobby to try out

SteelersMongol
02-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Now if there is a Steelers one like this on 6" figures, boy I'd even sell my kidney to purchase it.

http://www.sportslizard.com/customs_images/trent_nyg_home.gif

Benzbrother
02-02-2009, 11:51 PM
lol I would honestly like to try customizing a Fitz Mcfarlane into a PITT uniform...but he is pretty expensive so I think I'll experiment a little before I dive into that one lol

Vincent
02-03-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm thinking about trying it out myself and was wondering if there were any experienced guys in here who could maybe point me in the right direction on how to get started? Like what kind of supplies and where to get them? I'm really kinda goin at this blind, but think it would be a really neat thing to try out. I appreciate it guys!

GO STEELERS!!!!!:tt:

I started around Christmas. It's a great hobby. Just pin your ears back and go for it.

So far I've done a Ben and Silverback throwback, Dirt, Bettis throwback (96), Bradshaw, Lake, Malone, Foster 33 throwback, Farrior, Faneca, Ernie Stautner, Blount, Dwight White and Jack Ham.

Attached is part of the collection. http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=537501&postcount=1 I have so many customs and factory Steelers now I need to build a stage.

Vincent
02-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Now if there is a Steelers one like this on 6" figures, boy I'd even sell my kidney to purchase it.

I doubt that Allstar would extract a kidney, but he'd do a fine job on that project for you.

Benzbrother
02-03-2009, 12:09 PM
I started around Christmas. It's a great hobby. Just pin your ears back and go for it.

So far I've done a Ben and Silverback throwback, Dirt, Bettis throwback (96), Bradshaw, Lake, Malone, Foster 33 throwback, Farrior, Faneca, Ernie Stautner, Blount, Dwight White and Jack Ham.

Attached is part of the collection. http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=537501&postcount=1 I have so many customs and factory Steelers now I need to build a stage.

Thats pretty awesome man, you've gotten a lot done in only a month! How long does the average one take you? And what would you say the hardest part is? I'm finishing up school right now so I'll probably only have weekends to work on them, but I would really like to try it

Vincent
02-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Thats pretty awesome man, you've gotten a lot done in only a month! How long does the average one take you? And what would you say the hardest part is? I'm finishing up school right now so I'll probably only have weekends to work on them, but I would really like to try it

My process is sort of "assembly line" at this point.

I decided on a dozen plus target subjects and went about getting the subject figures to do them. Lucked out big time by getting a huge box of parts on EBay. A guy who had done "hundreds" was burnt out and sold off a box that included several completed figures and parts for about 20 or so figures. I have completed 6 figures totally from parts to this point and the remaining 7 from subjects or combinations.

I got most of the abstract info from Jomo's downloads. Allstar gave me some valuable advice too.

So, the assembly line is this...

Decide who you want to do and get as many pics off the net as you need to execute the details.

Disassemble whole subjects by soaking in very hot water and pulling apart while the plastic is soft.

Line up the parts, subjects you want to do. Strip the unwanted paint, decals, etc in an acetone bath. Use a steel bowl and stripping gloves and do it outdoors. Acetone is very effective and deadly.

Spray the upper legs yellow. The "official" yellow is "Schoolbus Yellow". Krylon makes it. Good luck finding it. I use a Testor's "Chrysler Yellow" instead. Its close. Spray the jerseys the desired black or white. Spray the helmets and facemasks.

I paint the arms, lower legs and heads with acrylic by hand..

Decals are the big trick. I do the design work in PowerPoint then print to decal film on my laser (B&W) or color printer. Coat with several coats of Testor's 9200 decal stabelizer prior to cutting and placing. Attached are some images to get you started.

Once you have all the parts painted and decaled, assemble for fit then reassemble with glue. I use Superglue.

Prior to fitting the finished head, spray the figure with a flat spray. Allstar recommends Testors but I can't find a "flat". The helmet should be finished in a gloss.

That's the basics. Everybody else chime in too so we can all learn more.

This is a VERY rewarding hobby that has completely drawn me in. Just ask my Better half. :banging: I'm an old man, so if I can do it, so can you.

Cheers!

Benzbrother
02-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Thanks a TON Vincent! Especially for the decal images, I'm sure they will come in helpful! Not sure when I'm going to try my first one (searching for figures on ebay right now), but I will make sure to update on my progress! Thanks again!:tt:

Vincent
02-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks a TON Vincent! Especially for the decal images, I'm sure they will come in helpful! Not sure when I'm going to try my first one (searching for figures on ebay right now), but I will make sure to update on my progress! Thanks again!:tt:

My pleasure. Here are some more decal images. B&W best on laser. Obviously the color ones do on an inkjet.

Cheers!!

Benzbrother
02-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Vincent- you are the man! Where do you get all these decals? Is there somewhere online you can go for them? I know there was somebody on ebay selling them...but I was going to try to find them online before I spent the money. Thanks again!! :tt02:

Vincent
02-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Vincent- you are the man! Where do you get all these decals? Is there somewhere online you can go for them? I know there was somebody on ebay selling them...but I was going to try to find them online before I spent the money. Thanks again!! :tt02:

I did them in PowerPoint. Basis graphics. Nothing more.

The trick to these is less about graphics and more about finish, which as a shaky old man with bad eyes is the challenge. If you're young enough to be "finishing school", you should do well.

Allstar
02-03-2009, 06:47 PM

I have been wanting to do one of these but to big of an effort to undertake without a for sure buyer. I would love to do one of these in the sbxliii uniform

Benzbrother
02-03-2009, 07:10 PM
I have been wanting to do one of these but to big of an effort to undertake without a for sure buyer. I would love to do one of these in the sbxliii uniform

That would look frieken sweet in the SB XLIII unis. How much would something like that cost?

Allstar
02-03-2009, 07:38 PM
That would look frieken sweet in the SB XLIII unis. How much would something like that cost?

To tell you the truth to do it right custom pose some of the oline instead of them being all the same you would be looking at probably $100 per team member but it would be alot of work.

Benzbrother
02-03-2009, 08:11 PM
To tell you the truth to do it right custom pose some of the oline instead of them being all the same you would be looking at probably $100 per team member but it would be alot of work.

Wow that is pretty crazy. I can only imagine how long it would take

Vincent
02-04-2009, 08:04 AM

Allstar,

Aside from the Willy Roaf (and its iterations) what other subjects make for offensive linemen?

I have repainted a Mawae as Dirt and Roaf as Faneca, but I haven't seen anything else that would look OLish out there.

Reggie White might possibly. I got one and am going to do an Ernie Holmes so I have the Curtain. Haven't decided on the subject for LC yet. Welcome suggestions. Am doing Maddog from a modified Lambert bottom and a Mean Joe top.

Allstar
02-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Allstar,

Aside from the Willy Roaf (and its iterations) what other subjects make for offensive linemen?

I have repainted a Mawae as Dirt and Roaf as Faneca, but I haven't seen anything else that would look OLish out there.

Reggie White might possibly. I got one and am going to do an Ernie Holmes so I have the Curtain. Haven't decided on the subject for LC yet. Welcome suggestions. Am doing Maddog from a modified Lambert bottom and a Mean Joe top.

Thats about all the line poses out there I would cut and sculpt new parts in to vary the poses

Benzbrother
02-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Any of you guys that have done customs I have a few questions if ya don't mind.

I found a real cheap Jake Plummer figure on ebay with the same armbands, etc... as Big Ben. Do you think this would make a decent figure for Ben?

Also, does anybody have the decals for the throwback unis? I have most of them, but I don't think I have the right sleeves for the throwback. Thanks!

Vincent
02-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Any of you guys that have done customs I have a few questions if ya don't mind.

I found a real cheap Jake Plummer figure on ebay with the same armbands, etc... as Big Ben. Do you think this would make a decent figure for Ben?

Also, does anybody have the decals for the throwback unis? I have most of them, but I don't think I have the right sleeves for the throwback. Thanks!

The Plummer figure is pigeon toed and looks like he's trying to pass something larger than the portal.

I did a Ben throwback (my 1st ever) from a Peyton bottom and an Eli top. See 1st attached pic... http://forums.steelersfever.com/showpost.php?p=537501&postcount=1 Interestingly, the bottom is the same cast they use for the newer Ben factory figure.

Another subject that would make a passable Ben is Farve. They have them at Walmart.

I have bought subjects off EBay. This is a great store... http://stores.ebay.com/EVERYTHING-MCFARLANE . Another good source of reasonably priced figures is http://www.mcfigures.com/ .

The throwback sleeves are easy. Paint the yellow field and put thin black stripe decals where appropriate.

Benzbrother
02-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks a lot Vincent. By the way, nice job on your customs! If mine turn out half as good as that I'll be thrilled!

SteelersMongol
02-06-2009, 11:06 PM

Shoot. This is when I wish I was working 2 jobs.

Allstar
02-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Shoot. This is when I wish I was working 2 jobs.

Yeah it would be pricey but When I think about the work involved that wouldnt honestly even touch the time it would take to do it and do it right.

Benzbrother
02-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Hey do you guys know where the best place to buy the Micro set/sol and primer is? I found most of the paint and stuff at wal-mart, but wasn't sure where I could get the other stuff (other than maybe the internet)

Also, is there any kind of decal paper that is recommended over others? And do I need any special kind of ink in my printer?

lol sorry for all the questions, but thanks guys I really appreciate it!:tt02:

Vincent
02-09-2009, 10:38 AM
Hey do you guys know where the best place to buy the Micro set/sol and primer is? I found most of the paint and stuff at wal-mart, but wasn't sure where I could get the other stuff (other than maybe the internet)

Also, is there any kind of decal paper that is recommended over others? And do I need any special kind of ink in my printer?

lol sorry for all the questions, but thanks guys I really appreciate it!:tt02:

I bought Microsol from Microsol. Minimum order is $25. I got a variety but only really use the "Set" product.

I don't use primer. I strip the subject parts then mask and spray the on the uniform colors. Then hand paint other details with acrylic.

So far I haven't had to use special ink for decals. I do most in B&W in the laser and the ones that have color on the inkjet. I immediately put several coats of Testor's 9200 decal stabilizer on the fresh decal sheets. I use Testor's decal paper.

Important: Coat all decals with clear acrylic after affixing. Otherwise the solvent in the clear spray will shrivel up the decals.

Now this is just the way I do things and I'm a rank amateur with a shaky hand and old eyes. I would dearly love a tutorial from the pros before I go any further.:banging:

Benzbrother
02-09-2009, 12:06 PM
lol thanks again Vincent, the info was very helpful. I just picked up my paint, brushes, and figure the other day, but I wanted to talk to somebody about all the other stuff before I actually bought it. Hopefully I will have all my things gathered up and ready to go so I can try out my first one over Spring Break (1st week of March). I'm pretty excited to get goin, just gotta finish rounding up the supplies! thanks again!

Benzbrother
02-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Vincent- what do you use to strip the parts?

KeiselPower99
02-09-2009, 11:33 PM
This does look very rewarding and awesome to do. I just dont have the patience or skills for it. Anyone wanna make a Woodley and Faneca in the throwbacks for me lol

Vincent
02-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Hopefully I will have all my things gathered up and ready to go so I can try out my first one over Spring Break (1st week of March). I'm pretty excited to get goin,

Aren't you supposed to be oblivion drinking and chasing trashy girls over Spring Break? :chuckle:

Vincent- what do you use to strip the parts?

Acetone. Use stripping gloves and do it outside. Acetone is highly carcinogenic, ridiculously explosive, and adds a kick to Spring Break punch

I just dont have the patience or skills for it.

I don't either, but it keeps me out of trouble.

Benzbrother
02-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Aren't you supposed to be oblivion drinking and chasing trashy girls over Spring Break? :chuckle:
lol no I'll be spending my time visiting my fiance. The only problem is, she isn't on break yet so I'll be at her apartment all day while she is in class - i.e. perfect time to start my first customized figure haha

Vincent
02-10-2009, 01:43 PM
lol no I'll be spending my time visiting my fiance. The only problem is, she isn't on break yet so I'll be at her apartment all day while she is in class - i.e. perfect time to start my first customized figure haha

Careful Grasshopper. Once the Custom McFarlane bug burros into you she might see you as less than marriage material. The ladies like to be THE focus of your attention. I've been happily married for 34 years and this is the first threat to marital bliss. First it was "Those are so cute!". Then, "Wow. So many". Then "When do you think you might take a break from that?".

I got into this because I bought a few McFarlanes. Then I noticed that people customized them. Then I bid on a box of McFarlane parts on EBay from a guy that had "done hundreds and was burnt out". That, in retrospect, was a clue.

So, have you figured out how you're going to explain why you brought acetone to your fiance's house?

Benzbrother
02-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Careful Grasshopper. Once the Custom McFarlane bug burros into you she might see you as less than marriage material. The ladies like to be THE focus of your attention. I've been happily married for 34 years and this is the first threat to marital bliss. First it was "Those are so cute!". Then, "Wow. So many". Then "When do you think you might take a break from that?".

I got into this because I bought a few McFarlanes. Then I noticed that people customized them. Then I bid on a box of McFarlane parts on EBay from a guy that had "done hundreds and was burnt out". That, in retrospect, was a clue.

So, have you figured out how you're going to explain why you brought acetone to your fiance's house?

lol point taken Vincent. Yea I've already mentioned the whole thing to her and you probably won't be surprised to hear that she already hates the idea. Honestly, she has absolutely 0% of a clue why I buy things like this or any of my other collectibles for that manner. I tell her that being a woman she just doesn't understand it. I've been collecting things since I was a little kid and I'm never going to stop lol.

That being said, she thinks its a little cool that I am going to try customizing them. She would rather have me do this than just buy hundreds of figures from stores that just sit around lol.

Nonetheless, I will definitely do all the smelly stuff while she isn't home haha. And hopefully the first one turns out good so I get the "ok" to keep going. (i.e. she doesn't keep bitching that I am trying multiple figures haha)

Vincent
02-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Anybody know what the McFarlane 2009 roll out schedule is? Need some SBXII figures. Thinking there'll be a 3-pak. :tt02::tt:

Benzbrother
02-10-2009, 07:06 PM
You know what would make a frieken sick custom....would be the scene of Bettis running over Urlacher in the 05 snow bowl game at Heinz. I would definitely pay to have that one made. Does anybody know who could make something like that?

Vincent
02-11-2009, 07:12 AM
You know what would make a frieken sick custom....would be the scene of Bettis running over Urlacher in the 05 snow bowl game at Heinz. I would definitely pay to have that one made. Does anybody know who could make something like that?

Allstar

SMR
02-11-2009, 06:15 PM
I've done one custom only and it is a reflection of my version of a Steelers "yellow alternate" jersey. This paint job was done by me two months ago. I only painted the jersey not the pants or helmet at all. Not sure if I should paint the pants black with yellow stripe? That would match the black helmet. Hope you can see the pics of Roethlisberger in my "yellow alternate" version.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/steelpanther08/customyellowalternate.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/steelpanther08/customside.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/steelpanther08/customback.jpg

Benzbrother
02-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Thats a pretty sweet job for your first time man. IMHO, it would look cool if the pants were black w/ yellow stripe. I'll have to post some pics here after I get my first custom done!

Benzbrother
02-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Allstar

:tt: Gotcha! Already talkin to him about it

SMR
02-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Thats a pretty sweet job for your first time man. IMHO, it would look cool if the pants were black w/ yellow stripe. I'll have to post some pics here after I get my first custom done!

Thanks man! I appreciate it. The more I think about it the more I am leaning towards painting the pants. I look forward to seeing YOUR pics when you get done.
:helmet:

SMR
02-14-2009, 09:56 AM

I just completed the pants last night and I think it looks pretty decent. Hope ya like!
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/steelpanther08/YellowBigBen001.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/steelpanther08/YellowBigBen003.jpg
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/steelpanther08/YellowBigBen002.jpg
I like how the pants are an exact match to the helmet colorwise! I have yet to add the clear acrylic sealer matte over the pants. I will do that later.
:helmet:

Benzbrother
02-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Yea dude the black pants are def. sick. Nice choice! I'm almost done gathering up all my materials so hopefully I can start it in the next few weeks, and I'll have to make sure to post pics. Nice job again!

SMR
02-14-2009, 10:03 AM
Yea dude the black pants are def. sick. Nice choice! I'm almost done gathering up all my materials so hopefully I can start it in the next few weeks, and I'll have to make sure to post pics. Nice job again!

Thanks man! I was hesistant to do the pants at first, but after doing it, I see how much better it looks. I'm glad your suggestion push me over the fence, lol.
:thumbsup:

KeiselPower99
02-15-2009, 12:48 PM
I have a question? I think Im gonna try to make a mcfarlane. Here are the ones I wanna do which would be easier to start with and what existing figures would I need to start.

James Harrison in a Rhein Fire uniform
LaMarr Woodley and Alan Faneca in the throwbacks Faneca with the 75th patch Woodley not
Al Bundy in the Polk High uni.

SMR
02-15-2009, 02:35 PM
I have a question? I think Im gonna try to make a mcfarlane. Here are the ones I wanna do which would be easier to start with and what existing figures would I need to start.

LaMarr Woodley and Alan Faneca in the throwbacks Faneca with the 75th patch Woodley not

I personally would prefer to do Harrison in a Rhein Fire version because it would be SOOOO rare! Easy? No, but could research the Fire uni on gettyimages or google it for year 2004.
Silverback, yeah!
:tt02:

KeiselPower99
02-15-2009, 02:53 PM
I have a good knowledge of the Rhein Fire uniform just need to get the figure decals and paint.

Vincent
02-15-2009, 04:47 PM

I did a Silverback throwback from the Lewis Crime Brothers - Jamal's bottom and Ray-Ray's top. Although Ricky Williams is a good subject - similar build to SB. I'm working on a Woodley from Urlacher's bottom and Ray-Ray's other top. I did a Faneca from Willy Roaf. There is a Faneca chase but they're too expensive. Bundy - no clue.

SMR
02-15-2009, 06:06 PM
I have a good knowledge of the Rhein Fire uniform just need to get the figure decals and paint.

That's great. How on earth does one acquire the figure decals? I did my Big Ben alternate custom but had to paint over the ridiculously small Reebok logo on the sleeves and the pants. Too small for me to paint on the new color so how or where do I find the Reebok logo decals for the sleeves and pants and the NFL Equipment logo decal (for the pants)? Anyone help? I would need two Reebok logo decals with black outline and yellow on the inside for the sleeves and one Reebok logo decal with yellow outline and black on the inside for the pants. Anyone got ideas??

KeiselPower99
02-15-2009, 06:19 PM
I did a Silverback throwback from the Lewis Crime Brothers - Jamal's bottom and Ray-Ray's top. Although Ricky Williams is a good subject - similar build to SB. I'm working on a Woodley from Urlacher's bottom and Ray-Ray's other top. I did a Faneca from Willy Roaf. There is a Faneca chase but they're too expensive. Bundy - no clue.

Ive got the Faneca chase figure. Just would like one of him in the throwback cause Im not painting over that expensive bastard.

Vincent
02-15-2009, 06:56 PM
That's great. How on earth does one acquire the figure decals? I did my Big Ben alternate custom but had to paint over the ridiculously small Reebok logo on the sleeves and the pants. Too small for me to paint on the new color so how or where do I find the Reebok logo decals for the sleeves and pants and the NFL Equipment logo decal (for the pants)? Anyone help? I would need two Reebok logo decals with black outline and yellow on the inside for the sleeves and one Reebok logo decal with yellow outline and black on the inside for the pants. Anyone got ideas??

I do it all in PowerPoint.

For logos and such graphics, Google and paste into the PowerPoint. Resize as necessary.

Numerals and stripes - I've posted those - they're in this thread.

I'm no veteran by any stretch of the imagination, but I've made 15 reasonably good figures in the last several months and have learned a bunch. Steelers are relatively (Vikes, Chiefs, etc) easy to do.

Vincent
02-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Ive got the Faneca chase figure. Just would like one of him in the throwback cause Im not painting over that expensive bastard.

Buy a Willy Roaf for @$8. Strip. Repaint. Imbibe and enjoy.

SMR
02-15-2009, 08:35 PM
I do it all in PowerPoint.

For logos and such graphics, Google and paste into the PowerPoint. Resize as necessary.

Numerals and stripes - I've posted those - they're in this thread.

I'm no veteran by any stretch of the imagination, but I've made 15 reasonably good figures in the last several months and have learned a bunch. Steelers are relatively (Vikes, Chiefs, etc) easy to do.

Wow, thanks for the big help. I will look into that and see what I can do. I really appreciate this!
:thumbsup:

Benzbrother
02-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Vincent -
For your decals, do you use clear or white decal paper? I would think it would be easier to use clear....but wasn't really sure. Any idea of which one works better? Thanks again, you've been a huge help!

Vincent
02-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Vincent -
For your decals, do you use clear or white decal paper? I would think it would be easier to use clear....but wasn't really sure. Any idea of which one works better? Thanks again, you've been a huge help!

I use white for color decals and clear for B&W. Note that with both it is critical to give them several LIGHT coats of stabilizer prior to hitting the water. The first LIGHT coat is critical because the images can bleed or run if you douse them.

Also (I'm only on #16, so I'm still learning) once the decal is set and dry on your figure, coat it with MicroSol Decal Film (MI-12). That actually puts a layer of decal OVER the image your printer put on the film. It makes for a stable and better looking image. And I coat all decals with a coat of clear acrylic before the final clear spray because the solvent in the spray can shrivel the decal.

Glad to help. Send karma :sofunny:

Benzbrother
02-18-2009, 06:03 PM
anybody on here happen to have the Gene Upshaw decal for the Mcfarlanes?