PDA

View Full Version : James Harrisons INT

T Bradshaw
02-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Was this play a miracle?

Stover4Prez
02-02-2009, 06:25 PM
No. 155 people landing on the Hudson in a jet liner and living was a miracle. This was football play.

Dino 6 Rings
02-02-2009, 06:29 PM
No. 155 people landing on the Hudson in a jet liner and living was a miracle. This was football play.

No, that was great training and a person doing what he was trained his entire life to do.

Kind of like a 100 yard int. Training, practice and gut instincts.

Stover4Prez
02-02-2009, 06:31 PM
No, that was great training and a person doing what he was trained his entire life to do.

Kind of like a 100 yard int. Training, practice and gut instincts.

I garuntee that he had never trained to land an airplane in the Hudson. But either way, we agree that a 100 INT return is NOT a miracle.

T Bradshaw
02-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Are you sure?
100 yards INT
by a linebacker
As time ran out and all the Cardinals coming after James
at last 10 or more points turnaround
wow

How many time has it happened like this in the last 10 years? in the NFL history?

That play was a miracle

THE IMMACULATE INTERCEPTION

Dino 6 Rings
02-02-2009, 06:35 PM
I garuntee that he had never trained to land an airplane in the Hudson. But either way, we agree that a 100 INT return is NOT a miracle.

Right we agree, it wasn't a miracle.

T Bradshaw
02-02-2009, 06:35 PM
THAT COULD BE THE GREATEST PLAY IN THE SUPER BOWL HISTORY

Stover4Prez
02-02-2009, 06:38 PM
It is definitely up there, but I don't think it is the greatest play in superbowl history. Had it come on the last drive and clinched the win, then yes. I just don't think it had enough game changing signifigance to make it the best play ever. I put it in the top 5 for sure.

JEFF4i
02-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Nope, it was James Harrison putting his suit on and going to work.

Dino 6 Rings
02-02-2009, 06:40 PM

Could be, but perspective of timing is important as well.

Bills missing that FG at the end of regulation to lose their first SB, huge play.

Buccaneers returned 3 ints to the house against Oakland, 3 in the same game.

Super Bowl 1 Max McGee catches the ball and goes for a Touchdown agains KC and Max admits, he was probably still Drunk from the night before when he played that game.

There is a reason that Lynn Swann is the MVP Of SuperBowl X. Watch some of his highlights from just that game.

I could go on and on, but to call one play the "greatest play in the History of the Super Bowl" its got tough competition.

jjpro11
02-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Could be, but perspective of timing is important as well.

Bills missing that FG at the end of regulation to lose their first SB, huge play.

Buccaneers returned 3 ints to the house against Oakland, 3 in the same game.

Super Bowl 1 Max McGee catches the ball and goes for a Touchdown agains KC and Max admits, he was probably still Drunk from the night before when he played that game.

There is a reason that Lynn Swann is the MVP Of SuperBowl X. Watch some of his highlights from just that game.

I could go on and on, but to call one play the "greatest play in the History of the Super Bowl" its got tough competition.

holmes' touchdown is some major competition.

TampaSteelerFan
02-02-2009, 07:21 PM
holmes' touchdown is some major competition.

Good call...How awesome is it that two of the absolute greatest plays in Superbowl history were made last night by the Steelers within about two hours of each other? No other team can make a claim anywhere near that! Just like no other team has 6 rings baby!!! :tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03::tt03:

GridironWarrior
02-02-2009, 07:41 PM
That pick made me almost shed a tear of joy for the fact that we have a player who was cut 4 times and turns out to be super star on a great D. That pick will forever be in my heart along with Holmes catch.

OX1947
02-03-2009, 12:02 AM
That play was the microcosm of the season and the entire team as a whole. You saw 10 guys ALL running and blocking and inching away with everything in their souls to make sure he got to the end zone. That block Woodley made WAS HUGE....

CaliStillersFan
02-03-2009, 01:15 AM
Funny story about that pick:

My wife, my next door neighbor and I were watching the game yesterday. We live in the sticks in Northern California, so I have Direct TV to make sure we never miss a game. The thing that sucks is that come playoff time I have to use rabbit ears to pull the playoff games from the local channels. This year I was excited since they already switched to digital up here. I had my new DTV box with HDTV antennae, the picture was incredible but my signal quality for NBC was horrible. It kept getting all pixelated and the sound would cut out, which is very frustrating when you are trying to watch the Steelers in the Super Bowl. During most of the first half it was very clear. When the Cards lined up at the one right before that pick I said, "come on Troy pick it off and do an Ed Reed - take it to the house". Right as the ball was snapped we lost the picture and sound, it flickered for a second and we heard "interception" and lost it again. When we got the picture back James was rolling into the endzone. We got to see replay thankfully. But all three of us were screaming louder at the antennae at that moment than we did all game. DTV is great as long as you have a great signal, thankfully my signal to all other stations is perfect, so I should be covered for the next couple of years until NBC does the Super Bowl again.

ColoradoSteelerFan
02-03-2009, 01:27 AM
James Harrison's TD will go down in Steeler history as the SECOND greatest play in franchise history.

Hard to beat the Immaculate Reception....but this one came close. That play got the Steelers to the Super Bowl....this one ended up winning the Super Bowl for them.

CaliStillersFan
02-03-2009, 01:39 AM
I think it was better than the IR. The IR was against Oakland in a divisional playoff game in 72 and we lost to Miami (their perfect season) the next week. Yesterdays play won that game for us. The IR was prettier, but that pick6 should go down as the best play ever.

Galax Steeler
02-03-2009, 03:50 AM
The Harrison interception was great they were at least going to get 3 points if not 7 on that drive and he dropped back in coverage and made the play I will remember that one my whole life.

CaliStillersFan
02-03-2009, 04:02 AM
Yeah that play was responsible for a 10-14 point swing in the game. No matter how you look at the ending, the game was won on that one play.

Steeldude
02-03-2009, 07:40 AM
i heard something on espn that Rolle got in Fitz way and he 'would have' made the tackle.. Cards just got burned!

if they threw the flag on fitzgerald it wouldn't have mattered. fitzgerald was an illegal player. he went out-of-bounds and made no effort to get back in.

am i the only one that noticed this?

T Bradshaw
02-03-2009, 10:40 AM
No, but I heard in this case its okay
on punts and kickoffs its a penalty but not here

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
02-03-2009, 12:26 PM

That can't be true. If it was you could run out of bounds, behind your teammates on the sideline, run back out into the endzone and make a catch.

stlrtruck
02-03-2009, 12:52 PM
That can't be true. If it was you could run out of bounds, behind your teammates on the sideline, run back out into the endzone and make a catch.

I believe, and I haven't looked it up yet, the rule states that if you are eligible WR and you step out of bounds, you can not be the first person to catch/touch the ball before reestablishing yourself in the field of play.

Defensively, I'm not sure. I mean if he's allowed to make a play then he should be able to be continuously blocked out of bounds but that I believe is also a penalty.

It is an interesting point. Maybe I'll look for some clarification on the rule.

CPanther95
02-03-2009, 01:07 PM
Fitz was legal.

... and it is very true that Rolle saved that TD for us. Fitz was closing (fast) on Harrison, ran up the back of an O lineman and had to run around him (out of bounds). He kept up most of his speed but ran smack into Rolle who was way out into the white admiring Harrison's runback (who can blame him). That brought Fitz almost to a complete stop.

He'd have probably caught him by the 10 or 15 yard line if not for Rolle. And as much of a monster that Harrison is, I think we all know it wouldn't have taken much to bring him down or at least knock him out of bounds at that point in his runback.

rbryan
02-03-2009, 01:23 PM
James Harrison's TD will go down in Steeler history as the SECOND greatest play in franchise history.

Hard to beat the Immaculate Reception....but this one came close. That play got the Steelers to the Super Bowl....this one ended up winning the Super Bowl for them.

Steelers got beat by Miami the week after the Imaculate reception and never made it to the SB that year.

Tough call between Holmes and Harrison. Holmes play was bigger because of the timing, but Harrisons play more spectacular IMO.

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
02-03-2009, 01:25 PM
I thought Fitz was illegal because if you run out of bounds, you can't be the first person the touch the ballcarrier. If you are forced out of bounds (blocked out) you can. He ran out under his own power.

CPanther95
02-03-2009, 01:31 PM
That's only for the gunners on a punt (not sure about kickoffs). Otherwise the only restriction is you can't be the first to touch the ball after coming back in from out of bounds.

aries4972
02-03-2009, 01:36 PM

"COULD BE"???
:tt::tt::tt::tt::tt::tt:

aries4972
02-03-2009, 01:41 PM

yes it is. Fitz himself ran out of bounds. he was not blocked out of bounds. even on punts and kickoffs you can be BLOCKED out of bounds and return no harm no foul but you can't intentionally run out of bounds and re-enter the field of play

remember troy edwards AFCCG

CPanther95
02-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Doesn't matter if you aren't the gunner. They can be blocked, but can't just run OOB and then be the first to contact the ball carrier - and a blocker cannot continue to block one the gunner is OOB.

But any other player can make a tackle after going OOB (even if not blocked).

And any player cannot go OOB then be the first to touch the ball - but no restrictions on being the first to tackle.

tony hipchest
02-03-2009, 06:12 PM
watch deshea townsend on the replays. at about the cardinals 10 yard line he admitted that he told harrison to give him the ball. james told him no way and thats when deshea sped up to block.

good stuff (that woulda been ruled a forward lateral).